Xbox One to Have Unlimited Cloud Storage

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft keeps on sweetening the Xbox One pot, making it harder to justify not purchasing one when it is released this fall. Microsoft is giving all Xbox Live users free unlimited cloud storage for their Xbox One gaming data.

Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are

As disappointing as Windows 8 is and every other decision / product coming out of Microsoft these days, they could give the XBox away and I'd hand it to someone else.

**FREE** storage for a service you pay for. Steam does the same thing too, except you don't have to pay a monthly fee.

Whoopdeedoo. Since you need a gold live membership to do anything your not getting anything for free.

Being around from the very first console days this is the first system I actually have hate for a no interest other than seeing it fail.

**FREE** storage for a service you pay for. Steam does the same thing too, except you don't have to pay a monthly fee.

Read the actual article before bashing them. There are two tiers of live: silver (free) and gold (fee based). According to the article, this storage is available to both of them. It's already available to live subscribers on the 360, but with a storage limit. So they're removing the cap and giving it to everyone.

Previous generation Xbox users had to subscribe to an Xbox Live Gold account to be able to make use of this feature, Microsoft has now stated that this service will now be available for all users whether Gold or Silver.

This cloud thing is awesome, I love it when someone else has all my shit.

People are going to be so happy in the future when their pr0n habit comes up at trial while they fight a speeding ticket.

"This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are "

That comment was directed at the NSA not their customers.

Unlimited storage for your gaming needs! What's that, like 3mb save file x 100 ? We already get things like megaupload that have 50 gigs of free storage, just point your xbox browser there and upload

Whoopdeedoo. Since you need a gold live membership to do anything your not getting anything for free.

Being around from the very first console days this is the first system I actually have hate for a no interest other than seeing it fail.

Cough* atari jaguar *cough

Unlimited storage for your gaming needs! What's that, like 3mb save file x 100 ? We already get things like megaupload that have 50 gigs of free storage, just point your xbox browser there and upload
I assume it's mostly directed at the recording your gameplay deal. Although the word entertainment is so broad what music, videos etc can fall under that. 3mb save file, call up bethesda tell them that.

I wish I bought a Jaguar back in the day, would make a pretty sweet collectors item. That's like the one system I didn't get, that and the Sega Master System.

Sony has this already for game saves whether you have plus or not now and has had it for a while for plus members, no big deal saves don't take much space,

Unlimited amount of bullshit storage you could never use, or even want to use. I'll take two please.

great solution for people who need a lot of space on your virtual entertainment ;)

I assume it's mostly directed at the recording your gameplay deal. Although the word entertainment is so broad what music, videos etc can fall under that. 3mb save file, call up bethesda tell them that.

I'd guess that the "entertainment" they refer to is media purchased through your Xbox. They keep trying to market the device as a complete entertainment system so I expect an Itunes type store for users to purchase streamed media and theres no mention of it storing anything except Xbox data.

Plays for Sure, Games on Demand.. The infinite monkey theory states that given enough time and enough Microsoft monkeys they will produce a successful marketplace.

That isn't "sweetening" the pot. That is giving anyone with half a brain and a shred of desire for privacy more reason to avoid this thing. There is that whole government spying on people thing that some of you seem to have conveniently forgotten.

Lose the Camera MS...I don't need a game console that is spying on me for targeted advertisements or storing my information to sell to other advertisers and give to the NSA.

lets be honest, you're not getting unlimited storage, you're simply getting the ability to store your games (which you pay for) which will take up the most of your usage, then saved games, profiles, and other stuff which makes up a very tiny fraction of what people will store. If they allow me to upload anything I want, to their cloud storage then I'll apologize and eat some crow.

Microsoft keeps on sweetening the Xbox One pot, making it harder to justify not purchasing one when it is released this fall. Microsoft is giving all Xbox Live users free unlimited cloud storage for their Xbox One gaming data.

Ahem. I think you meant to say:

Microsoft's pre-sales of Xbox One are drastically below any expected target which is forcing management to backtrack on all the planned goals in order to move units.

I hate to reference a Kotaku comment... but let me put it this way. Imagine you've known somebody for a few years. Next Door Neighbor type. A little weird sometimes, a little pushy, but never that bad. Then, one day, this Next Door Neighbor type suddenly pulls out a revolver and sticks it right in your face. You can see the bullets in the chamber as this person pulls the trigger. You feel the gases from the bullet blow past your face, scream in agony as the bullet grazes you... and probably empty your bowels.

The Next Door Neighbor type looks a little confused... fiddles around with the revolver as though something were broken... then sticks it RIGHT BACK IN YOUR FACE... then shrugs and suddenly leaves.

No matter what ever happens after that, you are not ever going to trust that Next Door Neighbor type again.

If you didn't get the sledgehammer.. THIS IS WHAT MICROSOFT DID TO GAMERS.

Microsoft Representatives got up on stage at E3 and held a gun to the heads of gamers everywhere... Then Pulled The Trigger.

Period. Stop. End of Story. You have nothing more to say.

Microsoft got up on stage and declared that they were going to end the concepts of personal property. Microsoft got up on stage and declared they were ending the concepts of the First Sale Doctrine. Microsoft got up on stage and told you they would be be spying on your with their 24/7 camera (which incidentally has still not been backtacked on.)

If you purchase an Xbox One... after what Microsoft did at E3... You. Are. Foolish.

You are probably also naive, and likely have reduced mental capacity.

Microsoft can sweeten the pot all they want; but they cannot undo their actions. It'd be one thing if Don Matrick had been kicked to the curb with a public statement that his exit was the very real consequence for the Xbox One policies and E3 actions. Microsoft did not, I repeat DID NOT, even attempt to spin Don Matrick's exit as a punishment. Why? Probably because Don Matrick had the full backing of the Microsoft Executive staff to carry through on those policies and Actions.

We can at least forgive Sony for the Rootkit fiasco from a few years back since the CEO position has changed (Howard Stringer to Kaz Hirai). There have also been substantial other shiftings within the Sony executive layer. Many of those responsible for Sony's brain-dead policies and products are no longer with the company.

Until that level of executive change comes to Microsoft... until Steve Ballmer is gone... until the Xbox Management that signed off on the E3 Policies and Actions are gone... Gamers cannot invest their time or money in an Xbox One console.

Period. Stop. End of Story.

HardOCP needs to stop covering the Xbox One except to warn their readers to not purchase the console.

It is time to stand and and make this public statement: Boycott Microsoft.

Did they ever answer whether or not law enforcement be able to view the camera or at least use the data gathered to determine if a person was at a location at a certain time? If law enforcement can then your wife's divorce attorney probably can. :)

I'd love to boycott Microsoft completely but most PC games are still Windows exclusive and I still use 3-button MS optical mice.

Xbox Live paid membership or not, it's still not free and probably factored into the cost of the individual games bought. It's marketing lingo.

Lose the Camera MS...I don't need a game console that is spying on me for targeted advertisements or storing my information to sell to other advertisers and give to the NSA.

Don't forget spy cams on Laptops, Tablets, Cellphones and probably most Desktop PC's and hell even TV's now.

Owning a smartphone is like inviting Google, MS, Apple and NSA over to dinner and giving them a key to the house.

Don't forget spy cams on Laptops, Tablets, Cellphones and probably most Desktop PC's and hell even TV's now.

Owning a smartphone is like inviting Google, MS, Apple and NSA over to dinner and giving them a key to the house.

Except it isn't and quite frankly I am tired of this outright false and stupid rebuttal. There is a huge leap of difference in the level of control manufacturers have over those devices and the amount of control MS has over Kinect. In short, stop posting FUD you just make yourself look more foolish.

*positive xbox news!*

[H] response? Zomg it le sux! Loelz!

If you lack the braincells to interpret PR speak and PR headlines into realworld and take the headline at face value then sure its positive news.

Otherwise, its a red herring and marketing fluff purposely vague so people get their hopes up about the extent of its usefulness. Hint: you won't be using it for personal data ala Skydrive or Drop box.

Except it isn't and quite frankly I am tired of this outright false and stupid rebuttal. There is a huge leap of difference in the level of control manufacturers have over those devices and the amount of control MS has over Kinect. In short, stop posting FUD you just make yourself look more foolish.
Yeah google only tracks everything you do online but heaven forbid it takes data based on em sensors. Pretty sure tin foil hats block em! or better yet cover the camera when you're not using it.

Yeah google only tracks everything you do online but heaven forbid it takes data based on em sensors. Pretty sure tin foil hats block em! or better yet cover the camera when you're not using it.

The diff with Google is you know you're the product (a gravy train MS is trying hard to jump on btw, with Bing/Outlook/Skydrive/etc). In the case of XBONE's kinect, they want customers to subsidize the cost of putting a biosensor in the living room so they can collect engagement metrics that are attractive to advertisers, all under the guise of caring so much about motion control and people using this next gen (rolleyes) gimmick to play games. Its a trojan horse plain and simple, and if sheep are willing to play for the privilege of helping MS bring advertisers one step closer to customers, more power to MS I suppose.

And btw no, you can't "block it", it can't be obscured or the system will halt. Otherwise they might as well just let people unplug it and they don't allow that either.

Not even close to the same thing. A camera is so far removed and so much more invasive than tracking cookie data I can't believe any intelligent person could even try to argue in favor of it. Couple that with the fact that you can in fact Stop google tracking and actually control what data is collected on you whereas you have Zero control over the kinect. Sorry but my Privacy and dignity aren't worth the offered value of a couple of games. If you want to pay to have your privacy invaded and treated like a walking wallet with no right to privacy, then be my guest. I personally drew the line and have never and will never tolerate any of that garbage in my house. There is a reason why shit like facebook, twitter and the like are absolutely banned off my home network.

Here come the MS hate band wagon, a company announces a positive feature but don't worry its bad now that MS is doing it. The cloud is evil they are going to spy on us, let me post that from my laptop with a built in camera while I rush off to the hard free stuff forum to check if any more referals built up my dropbox limits. har har, stay classy trolls.

If you lack the braincells to interpret PR speak and PR headlines into realworld and take the headline at face value then sure its positive news.

Otherwise, its a red herring and marketing fluff purposely vague so people get their hopes up about the extent of its usefulness. Hint: you won't be using it for personal data ala Skydrive or Drop box.

Hahaha

Steam gives you 2GB. Not unlimited.

True... but..... who really needs unlimited for this stuff? Unless it's also storage for video recordings done with kinect/games. I mean, most saves are like.... 1 to 5 megabytes?

Hey MS. This is me still not biting!

When they stop giving me empty packets with one hand and fingering my butt hole with teh other. Maybe a fuck will be given. Any fool that falls for this Marketing Speak deserves to part with his/her money.

True... but..... who really needs unlimited for this stuff? Unless it's also storage for video recordings done with kinect/games. I mean, most saves are like.... 1 to 5 megabytes?

Nobody really :) Just felt like pointing out the rebuttal was flawed.

Cloud storage is the sugar coated coaxing approach to get people to willing participate in a daily internet connection.

Just Game Data? Big deal. That sure isn't gonna sting them much.

But, a feature is a feature is a feature. It all adds up.

I'm still waiting for the big, red hot poker to hit. We haven't seen that yet, and probably won't until after it's released.

Ahem. I think you meant to say:

Microsoft's pre-sales of Xbox One are drastically below any expected target which is forcing management to backtrack on all the planned goals in order to move units.

blah blah blah rhubarb rhubarb.

Boycott Microsoft.

Chap you are over analysing it all a bit too much.

Its just a entertainment/games console, a toy.

Back