Xbox One reviews.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-the-kotaku-review-1467960010

Census?

The Xbox One is trying some very cool new things, and it's launching alongside some very fun games. But there are so many rough edges, and the software feels incomplete. Do you need to have an Xbox One? Not Yet.

Here is a raw IGN demo of it and I have to say I'd be annoyed as fuck repeating myself.

Also a not so great tid bit from the Kotaku review :

If you're playing one game and switch to another one, the first game you were playing quits. There's no warning, no "You are about to quit this game, all unsaved progress will be lost. Proceed?" Nothing like that. It's unceremonious and immediate. If you want to get your roommate's goat, wait until he's about to win a race in Forza, then yell "Xbox! Go to Dead Rising 3!" The Xbox will immediately switch apps, and he'll lose all of his race progress. Yikes.

It's also possible to accidentally do that to yourself: At one point last weekend I told my Xbox One to "Go to Comedy Central." It heard that as "Go to LocoCycle" and immediately flipped to the new game, dropping my in-progress Dead Rising mission. This was partly user error—the correct command for the TV should've been "Xbox, watch Comedy Central." But that such a small mistake caused me to immediately lose my unsaved progress is a significant problem.P

As is the case with hard drive management, it can be tough to get a sense of just what's going on underneath the Xbox One's multitasking hood. I'm never quite sure which apps are suspended and which ones have quit, nor can I tell what will happen if I open a new app. The Xbox One operating system lacks a bird's-eye view; there's no way to cycle through your currently running apps. As a result, switching from program to program is a touch disorienting, like feeling your way through a dark room without a clear sense of where you've been

Lots of micro management going behind the scenes of the Xbox One. Also seems like Voice commands in general are not quite smoothed out enough and from the IGN demo not accurate enough at times. And keep in mind that the dude from IGN was inside a small very quiet room. Imagine trying to command the Xbox One inside of a room with other people or a room with a loud AC in the window. I can imagine there will be some interesting videos of people raging when they turn on the AC and the Xbox One decides to quit their game.

Of course it wouldn't be fair to mention that Kotaku also gave a "Not Yet" for the PS4 review but they seemed overall much more impressed with its tight package.

I don't normally like Kotaku reviews that much but this one wasn't bad.

Here is Rev3Games review of it. Adam Sessler actually gives probably what will be the best review. But he has virtually the same points to be made as Kotaku. It seems like Kinect is both a blessing in some ways and a real bitch in others. They should spend all of the next 6 months improving voice functionality from what it seems and preventing Kinect from accidentally making you lose game progress.

http://youtu.be/3Y51zatx9qs

Gizmodo Xbox One Review: Absolutely Amazing (When It Works)

...For now, the Xbox One is one impressive living room box machine—and it more than justifies its $500 dollar price with the inclusion of at least $100-worth of set-top boxitude—but you're going to be better off waiting for a little while to see how things shake out.

But—and this is admittedly a sizable but—if the Xbox One can straighten the few little quirks it has with some software tweaks, this thing is going to be unstoppable in a way the PS4 could never touch. It's too versatile, too feature-ridden, too future. So wait, yes. But while you do, go ahead and start clearing out plenty of space underneath your television.

Maybe a little ahead of it's time right now but it should evolve into a nice piece of living room hardware.

Well Adam Sessler who isn't a racing game fan just gave Forza 5 a 5/5 he loved it!

They better do something about the hard drive. Allow SSD or something. If my ps4 is any indication, the drives these systems come with is AWFUL. loading times are massive already even with an installed game. Maybe i'm used to my raided ssds in my pc but still, these things FEEL slow when loading content.

They better do something about the hard drive. Allow SSD or something. If my ps4 is any indication, the drives these systems come with is AWFUL. loading times are massive already even with an installed game. Maybe i'm used to my raided ssds in my pc but still, these things FEEL slow when loading content.

When SSD's become a reasonable option for everyone?

They are frickin ridiculously priced for large capacity and therefore irrelevant for right now.

I'll wait and feel good knowing I didn't get raped for 1tb+ of storage

Watching some of these reviews and live streams you can tell who the idiots are shouting at the kinect, they don't even pay attention to the words on screen the commands are right there. Instead they talk to it like they are the micro machine man!

The media control features do look impressive -- just not what I care about in a gaming console. PS4 is going to be playing constant catch up here (albeit the console really isn't designed with media as a primary focus).

On a side note, that review from Adam Sessler is extremely well done.

Edit: CNET's review (for whatever it's worth...) is up and impressions are very lukewarm. The summary is, it has potential, but the TV integration is frustrating and clumsy ("scatterbrain") the UI confusing and launch line up is weak (as expected).

Last edited:
I love the fact that they support remotes like the harmony that was essential for me!

And I see in the reviews that they also implemented Wi-Fi direct so you don't have to go thru your home wireless for smart glass.

Reviews are also saying that battery time on the controllers are amazing which is kind of opposite of PS4

I'm waiting to revisit consoles come next winter. Still, the features on the Xbox One are tempting, just not enough for me to put the money down right now.

I'm waiting to revisit consoles come next winter. Still, the features on the Xbox One are tempting, just not enough for me to put the money down right now.

I look at it this way. I've pissed away more money than these systems on graphics cards for 5fps extra in a game and that didn't give me any new game experiences. Just a thought

I look at it this way. I've pissed away more money than these systems on graphics cards for 5fps extra in a game and that didn't give me any new game experiences. Just a thought

Yeah, but I have a lot of big expenses coming up early next year and I just can't afford a new console anyways. Also, my 3DS keeps giving me reasons to spend money on new games for it.

Or the fact that there's nothing interesting anyway for either console, no harm no foul for anyone really. :)

I love Polygon's stream, makes sense, here's the recap:

"Vita UI is ugly.
PS4 is a game console with no games.
Games resolution matters to very few.
Sony didn't included the camera to undercut MS because its what Sony does.
UI and OS is not good.
Navigation on vita sucks.
Remote play is only for the Japanese market.
Remote play is pretty useless... Remote Play would definitely be cooler on Xbox because tv.
Microsoft is the only one producing new IP's.

Excellent, well rounded.

Or the fact that there's nothing interesting anyway for either console, no harm no foul for anyone really. :)

"Vita UI is ugly.
UI and OS is not good.
Remote play is pretty useless... Remote Play would definitely be cooler on Xbox because tv.

Excellent, well rounded.

your first line is a REAL matter of opinion.

I Love Forza! Dead rising has always been fun to me. And Ryse looks like fun hack and slash to me. and i fucking LOVE Killer instinct. Plus i love NBA 2K and need for speed. not to mention AC4 and COD.

So see in my point of view i have a lot of great fun awaiting me.

See how opinions vary.

I'm noticing Xbox One reviews on sites that did not review PS4.

Several sites have said that they had Xbox one hardware a lot longer than PS4 Sony did not provide any hardware they held a closed event for reviewers that had strict guidelines.

Have there been any Ryse reviews in yet? Forza 5 seems to be an absolute smash, like usual.

Several sites have said that they had Xbox one hardware a lot longer than PS4 Sony did not provide any hardware they held a closed event for reviewers that had strict guidelines.
That may be true, but since PS4 released they could have released reviews, but haven't. That said, enough about PS4, this thread is about Xbox One.

Have there been any Ryse reviews in yet? Forza 5 seems to be an absolute smash, like usual.
That may be true, but since PS4 released they could have released reviews, but haven't. That said, enough about PS4, this thread is about Xbox One.
One site had a review up but it looks like it was taken down but it was a 4/5

Ryse reviews should be tomorrow morning. At least I know Rev3’s review will be up.

BTW IGN is live streaming right now and playing Ryse right now. They can't say much but from their comments you can tell they are very pleased with this game.

your first line is a REAL matter of opinion.

I Love Forza! Dead rising has always been fun to me. And Ryse looks like fun hack and slash to me. and i fucking LOVE Killer instinct. Plus i love NBA 2K and need for speed. not to mention AC4 and COD.

So see in my point of view i have a lot of great fun awaiting me.

See how opinions vary.

I know it's opinion, was just stating. Forza is indeed going to be the one thing that'll make me regret not getting a console at launch, but Dead Rising looks like the same ol' same ol', and I know I'm not one to go SOLELY on reviews, but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like it offers much other than zombie murdering (which isn't exactly hit or miss, plenty examples of it out there). Ryse looks like it'll be worth a rental for sure, but that's it, and Killer Instinct could be hit or miss, who knows, can't articulate on that one.

AC4, I'd rather play on my PC with the fidelity turned up. :cool:

I'm watching the Pre-IGN Launch Party and they just got done playing NBA2K14 and then EA's NBA Live, for comparisons (which they gave a 4.3). Just from watching it, I don't know why anybody would get Live over 2K14.

Killer Instinct is up next, and it sounds like they really like it.

I'm watching the Pre-IGN Launch Party and they just got done playing NBA2K14 and then EA's NBA Live, for comparisons (which they gave a 4.3). Just from watching it, I don't know why anybody would get Live over 2K14.

Killer Instinct is up next, and it sounds like they really like it.

Yeah live was god awful. Killer instinct is awesome

Killer instinct is awesome

Ultimately this is the only reason I will purchase and Xbox One. But I am going to wait until they have all the content like "story mode" out for this game. Its going to be hard because I a such a huge KI fan (1994 represent!) but I believe that it will be worth it (for me).

"Vita UI is ugly.
UI and OS is not good.

Excellent, well rounded.

Yeah, Polygon's reviews of anything PS4 can just be thrown out. They are basically an outlier in this case. The guy they had review Killzone is an outspoken hater of the series, for example.

That said, the reviews of Xbone are sort of what I feared. All the stuff they have tried with their software all looked killer. The real question was how well it actually would work in the real world. Granted, this can all be improved eith updates, but that just further justifies going with PS4 first for those of us that will eventually own both consoles.

Also interesting that several reviews say not to buy the console yet. I dont recall any of the PS4 reviews saying that outright.

^several of the same sites said not to buy the PS4 as well. Mostly because of games or features they felt were not baked all the way yet on both.

The biggest problem with the Xbox One is that it tries to be the center for media in your living room and utterly fails at it.

Back