XBox One Owners' Thread (First Impressions, Thoughts, You Happy?)

Kinect is wishy washy for me in the ui in terms of reliability. Most fun I've had is with DR3 (especially with the in game voice commands). Forza lost its appeal to me...looks great though. It'll be sorted out with patches etc for both consoles. But so far, the ps4 simplicity has me. Definitely louder than the xb1, but not enough to be annoying to me.

EDIT: Well shit. Just discovered that multi channel audio doesn't work with the hdmi input port. whats the point of that? looks like i need a new avr with more hdmi ports =/

Last edited:
So my gamestop has 5 on hand? Buy or wait for patches and some games?

I have no tv subscription. have ps4 and wii u and ps3 ps2 and a red ring 360 apathy

Last edited:

I have no tv subscription. have ps4 and wii u and ps3 ps2 and a red ring 360 apathy

If you want it and can afford it, go get it.

Wait. Neither are worth owning right at the moment. Both need time to bake (firmware updates , UI updates) and they need real games and not launch titles to justify it.

I would especially recommend against it if you already have all those consoles.

Wait. Neither are worth owning right at the moment. Both need time to bake (firmware updates , UI updates) and they need real games and not launch titles to justify it.

This.

Buy one. The Kinect pieces probably aren't going to get much better and the system is pretty stable.

Buy one. The Kinect pieces probably aren't going to get much better and the system is pretty stable.

I dont have any problems with the kinect, my wife has some problems with the voice commands...but thats just because she cant get the flow down right...you have to speak a certain way.

I'll admit I havent played around with it much due to not being able to see real well atm. Had it for almost a week and havent played a single game.

Forza 5, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 are 3 very compelling reasons on why It is worth getting the XB1.

Forza 5, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 are 3 very compelling reasons on why It is worth getting the XB1.

I had this same mindset, but then realized what would I do after I beat them...Ryse you can beat in under 6 hours. The guy already owns a PS4 and currently I would not be able to recommend getting both. Hell I have a hard time recommending either since their libraries are so small for a $400 or $500 price tag. My PS4 has had very little use in the past couple weeks and I haven't even opened my Xbox One which I'll more than likely return since I can't justify the $500 price tag when I can play 90% of all its games on my PS4 and/or PC. I still regret not waiting until at least Infamous Second Son and Destiny came out before picking up my PS4, personally.

I had this same mindset, but then realized what would I do after I beat them...Ryse you can beat in under 6 hours. The guy already owns a PS4 and currently I would not be able to recommend getting both. Hell I have a hard time recommending either since their libraries are so small for a $400 or $500 price tag. My PS4 has had very little use in the past couple weeks and I haven't even opened my Xbox One which I'll more than likely return since I can't justify the $500 price tag when I can play 90% of all its games on my PS4 and/or PC. I still regret not waiting until at least Infamous Second Son and Destiny came out before picking up my PS4, personally.

For me, it is all about the controller. I have never been able to ever get into the PS consoles because the thumbsticks feel so awkward. I even tried again with a stint with the PS3 a while back, but my hand kept cramping up. The original Xbox controller was arguably what finally got me really hooked onto consoles as a serious gaming machine. I have had the typical gaming machines in the past like NES, Genesis, Saturn, SNES, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 but then had a large lull. The X360 controller was even better, and I am pleased to say the XB1 managed to improve what was already the most ergonomic controller ever made.

Based on my experience, the XB style controller is superior to the PS style in shooting and racing games. Those are pretty much all I play.

I have one, I got a deal on it. Not sure what else I should play other than KI though.

The difference in CoD is night and day on PS4/XB1. But I won't go there.

I am thinking I may use the Xbox 1 as a sports game device. Anyone know how many people are playing NBA2k14? Forza5/ NFS: Rivals? (Not sports, but still :p).

QFT.

I have one, I got a deal on it. Not sure what else I should play other than KI though.

The difference in CoD is night and day on PS4/XB1. But I won't go there.

I am thinking I may use the Xbox 1 as a sports game device. Anyone know how many people are playing NBA2k14? Forza5/ NFS: Rivals? (Not sports, but still :p).

I am currently using my XB1 as a Forza machone if you ever want to hit me up. My gamertag is junehhan. Only a couple of my friends like racing games, so I could use another drivatar in my single player races.

OMFG. Are you serious?

Pretty much. People who have actually played those games and have not simply read about it have very good things to say. Once I get bored of Forza and catch up on my X360 backlog, Ryse, Wolfenstein, or that Tomb Raider game will likely be next. I am hesitant to play Dead Rising 3 because the other games in that franchise have been sadistically hard.

For me, it is all about the controller. I have never been able to ever get into the PS consoles because the thumbsticks feel so awkward. I even tried again with a stint with the PS3 a while back, but my hand kept cramping up. The original Xbox controller was arguably what finally got me really hooked onto consoles as a serious gaming machine. I have had the typical gaming machines in the past like NES, Genesis, Saturn, SNES, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 but then had a large lull. The X360 controller was even better, and I am pleased to say the XB1 managed to improve what was already the most ergonomic controller ever made.

Based on my experience, the XB style controller is superior to the PS style in shooting and racing games. Those are pretty much all I play.

So you haven't used the DS4?

DS4 is far superior to the DS3. I was in the same boat as you, but i absolutely love the DS4.

So you haven't used the DS4?

No. All of my buddies who wanted an XB1 got one while not a single buddy who wanted a PS4 has been able to get one. The location of the thumbsticks has been the issue for me as it does not feel natural to me. As soon as I get the chance, you betcha I will check it out.

DS4 is far superior to the DS3. I was in the same boat as you, but i absolutely love the DS4.

The triggers are much better on the DS4, especially if you've been playing GT6 on the PS3 and then go back to the PS4. But I prefer the XB1 controller, if a game is available cross platform, I'll buy it for the xb1 just because of the controller, same was true with the 360/PS3.

Just got to vent, while I'm overall enjoying the XB1, the two full games I've purchased both have terrible design decisions that appear to have been made out of some half-brained attempt to leverage the cloud.

NBA 2K14 actual gameplay is awesome, but so many features have been dumbed down.
- Fantasy draft... hope you like random draft order since that the only choice. Don't like how the draft is going, may as well just quit and restart the game since there are a half dozen forced steps before it will let you quit.
- Like to have lots and lots of MyGM seasons on the go? Too bad, or UI guys didn't feel like adding a scroll bar - so you get 5 spots like its 1992 all over again.
- Want to customize a roster for your own use... no can do... save button is now a 'SAVE AND UPLOAD' button. Servers down? Oh, guess you can't customize the roster right now.
- Base menu has only 5 options, have the game functionality is hidden in another menu that is accessed in very unintuitive way.

Speaking of unintuitive... changing the start button to open help by default looks to have been a mistake for the time being. I'm sure they will eventually settle on which button is the new 'accept' button, but right now every time your in a menu that requires an accept to move on it's all over the map what you have to press to move forward.

As for Forza, I'm loving the game... but I can see the rage on the horizon as they start releasing paid DLC car packs full of cars that were included in Forza 4, or that where in Forza 4 DLC that I paid for once before. I do appreciate that there is a tonne of custom visual parts for many of the cars, was customizing a Celica and was pretty surprised when I went to custom spoilers and found something like 12 of them to choose from.

Simple solution for Forza 5 DLC.

Here are 10 brand new never in Forza cars... plus 10 more featured in Forza 4 / Forza 4 DLC.

That might be enough for me to buy the season pass again.

I also texted some die hard xbox 360 friends and they said to wait as well. I have 1 friend who picked up on the xboxone so I don't have much of a friends list on that point.

Since I've also seen some stock at walmart and bestbuy, it looks like I'll wait for Feb around my birthday to get one since I opted to grab a TV instead (Sony KDLw55802a 1 frame input lag!). I saved almost $500 on it and paid no tax! Thank you best buy flash sale and price matching (picked it up locally who'd match bb's prices) At least I'm prepared for one once games are out that I want.

Last edited:
For the people saying to wait for better games... why? There wont be a price drop before those games come out. Buying it now or buying it 6 months from now is no different.

For the people saying to wait for better games... why? There wont be a price drop before those games come out. Buying it now or buying it 6 months from now is no different.

Plus the games will run the same regardless of when people buy the console. Maybe it's all people burned by the RROD.

Plus the games will run the same regardless of when people buy the console. Maybe it's all people burned by the RROD.

Both of you are wrong. The games that are out now just don't justify the price of the console. The games on the Xbox One and PS4 are incredibly mediocre and don't justify the price of their respective systems. However, in 6 months I believe it will be worth it.

If you are only buying a system because of graphics, TV functionality, and/or something other than the quality of the games on it then you are probably not getting your money's worth. Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of people agree with me according to everything i've read on the subject.

That is poor people broken logic to wait until a later date to buy something they could purchase now.

Anyone buying a One/PS4 now gets a few cool games now AND the cool stuff coming out later. It doesn't lose value from being purchased early and it doesn't cause pain and misery.

Last edited:
Both of you are wrong. The games that are out now just don't justify the price of the console. The games on the Xbox One and PS4 are incredibly mediocre and don't justify the price of their respective systems. However, in 6 months I believe it will be worth it.

If you are only buying a system because of graphics, TV functionality, and/or something other than the quality of the games on it then you are probably not getting your money's worth. Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of people agree with me according to everything i've read on the subject.

It'll be the same price in 6 months. Whether you buy it now or buy it in 6 months, you're spending the same amount of money.

That is poor people broken logic to wait until a later date to buy something they could purchase now.

Anyone buying a One/PS4 now gets a few cool games now AND the cool stuff coming out later. It doesn't lose value from being purchased early and it doesn't cause pain and misery.

Poor people logic? Why would anyone that is not interested in the games currently out buy it right now... I actually preordered both and sold them once the launch titles were confirmed. IMO, easily the most dismal set of launch games I can remember. Now I don't know about you but I try to actually use the shit I buy.

On another note, I love the XboxOne controller. I've gotten a few chances to play with one at my brothers house. I can't wait till its officially supported on PC.

When it comes to launch games, I look at it like this...

Sega Dreamcast

Everything Else!

Outside of the Sega Dreamcast, I can't even think of a video game console that had a stellar launch lineup of games. Most usually have one good to great game, then a ton of other crap. A lot of it being multi-platform. I didn't feel the PS4 was worth the purchase at launch. I can understand that. The Xbox One on the other hand had a pretty solid launch lineup of exclusive games. With Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 & Ryse, I felt my purchase was more than justified. I don't expect to be blown away by launch games on any platform. They are new consoles after all.

So it just comes down to you buying it or not. Considering the history of launch titles on home consoles, I never seen that as a valid reason to not purchase a system. Since most launches usually suck anyways. :)

Now that I have had a few weeks with my xb1. I like it, especially with the last patch that fixed the UI animations being choppy. I've been having a blast playing assassin's creed 4.

It is a little rough but expect that being an early adopter. But for the most its really minor stuff like not being able to see how much storage space you have free. There are little design things that bug me, like why have the sync button and usb port on the side not the front.

Having purchased most consoles on or around launch, I'm used to have a limited lineup. I also play games on console and PC, so I have plenty of games to keep me occupied on other platforms.

A month after launch and everyone is still telling us how the how they aren't buying a new console because of the launch games. Thanks we got it four months ago lol.

This is how I feel %100. I can maybe see holding off if you have a higher end PC but if you only game on 360/PS3 there's no reason to wait.

No. All of my buddies who wanted an XB1 got one while not a single buddy who wanted a PS4 has been able to get one. The location of the thumbsticks has been the issue for me as it does not feel natural to me. As soon as I get the chance, you betcha I will check it out.

The DS4 is vastly superior IMO to the XB1's controller for FPS. It just feels way better. And it also works well for a lot of other games.

I may get Forza 5... how does it play in comparison to Gran Turismo?

When it comes to launch games, I look at it like this...
Sega Dreamcast

I agree Sega Dreamcast launch was a very high quality launch. Soul Calibur, NFL 2k, HotD2, Sonic Adventure. But when I was a kid a launch to me was what was available at Christmas :D

The SNES if you figure all the games that were available before Christmas 1991 was an amazing (launch for me) since that is when most kids got one when I was a kid. Here's what was released in 1991 before Dec 25th to refresh everyone's memory. I knew friends that had every one of these games except I would rent UN Squadron, Act Raiser (amazed me to no end), SGG, SC4. Every other game I borrowed from friends, that was an EPIC year for gaming as far as I'm concerned lolz. FF with characters that had their own names and personalities, and most were killed by the end of the game? ZOMG!? I didn't know it was possible for the FF franchise after FF1 NES :D

Super Mario World
F-Zero
Sim City
Final Fight
UN Squadron
Act Raiser
Final Fantasy 2US/4JPN
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Super Castlevania IV

All those SNES games are 9-10 imho for that era, all those games are classics to this day imho also. But SMW, Actraiser, F-Zero and FF II just amazed me personally, because of their quality. Before all this though was Sega Genesis.

Sega Genesis by Christmas 89 (just Golden Axe and Altered Beast looked amazing!), and especially by 1990 I wanted it really bad. Strider, Shadow Dancer, and PS2 had been released! holy shit!
By Christmas 89 they had these games and this was the first almost arcade looking games imho i was used to Atari and NES, and that's what was amazing about it back then for the most part imo.

Super Hang-On
Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Ghosts and Goblins
The Revenge of Shinobi
Thunder Force II
Space Harrier II
Super Thunder Blade
Herzog Zwei
Rambo III
Forgotten Worlds

By 1990 Christmas Genesis had Phantasy Star 2, Strider, Shadow Dancer, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing and some other titles that amazed me before even touching the SNES.

Dreamcast or even SNES SMW+F-Zero was enough of a killer launch imo honestly. It helps if you had experienced these Sega games before SNES if you didn't I predict that is why most people became super hardore SNES fanboys, but Strider, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, and PS2 proved to me that they could compete with the SNES.

I think the PS4 has a lot going for it with AC4, NFSR the online free games, PSN games Resogun, the trifecta of BF4, COD Ghosts, and Killzone. Kiddie games like Knack, Just Dance 2014, Lego MSH, Flower etc, then all the Sports games. That's a wide variety of games that are of average to above average quality by Christmas to choose from. If I were to buy a PS4 I would get AC4, NFSR, and PSN sub with Resogun, but I'm sticking with my PS3 and GT6 for the most part this holiday season, and holding out for a PS4 when the time is right pick up AC4 etc. when cheaper that way too. ;) Kind of like the Sega Genesis launch, not a day 1 buy for me but definetly by the next 6-12 months they will have their Striders, and I have got to get me one by then :)

This is how I feel %100. I can maybe see holding off if you have a higher end PC but if you only game on 360/PS3 there's no reason to wait.

Except when you still have 10 games to play on the PS3 like me lolz! But know way in hell would I bash anybody for buying a PS4 day 1 or sooner rather than later, it's a no-brainer you will have to buy 1 eventually so why dick around other than you like what's left on the PS3/PC or you're just broke? I can't think of any other reasons...

Love the poor people comment because, you know the people buying stuff here talking about consoles and stuff and have already purchased a whole ton of other non-essential life things too.

Seriously though, why wait?

a) I was an early adopter in the last generation. Early adopters live through bugs, glitches, patches and FLAWS in systems. One only has to read through the previous pages to see how many things people have had to accept/wait for.

b) If there is nothing I can use, why get it now? Justifying that you should buy it because you have the money goes along with the fool and their money parted quickly

c) Shit happens. Its nicer to have $ on hand for something you need than $ in a device you don't use.

d) I have a gaming rig to enjoy stuff and may tweak something in it than spend on a console I won't be using much.

Xbox One is worth it for the TV features alone imo. Besides I'm having fun with all the launch games I bought: NBA 2k14, Madden 25, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, NFS: Rivals, and Killer Instint Ultra~

Love the poor people comment because, you know the people buying stuff here talking about consoles and stuff and have already purchased a whole ton of other non-essential life things too.

Seriously though, why wait?

a) I was an early adopter in the last generation. Early adopters live through bugs, glitches, patches and FLAWS in systems. One only has to read through the previous pages to see how many things people have had to accept/wait for.

b) If there is nothing I can use, why get it now? Justifying that you should buy it because you have the money goes along with the fool and their money parted quickly

c) Shit happens. Its nicer to have $ on hand for something you need than $ in a device you don't use.

d) I have a gaming rig to enjoy stuff and may tweak something in it than spend on a console I won't be using much.

A). The newer versions could be worse than the first. The forum isn't exactly flood with people having problems.

B). Fine, don't buy things you don't want. Just don't argue that someone who wants one now should wait to increase the value of the console.

C). Poor. You probably shouldn't be buying $500 consoles anyway unless you have extra money on hand before and after the purchase.

D). Who gives a shit? This is the console gaming forum.

Last edited:
I don't understand those of you telling people there's no reason to wait.. I mean, if there's not a game out that people want to play why would they buy it now? It's simple common sense.

Xbox One is worth it for the TV features alone imo. Besides I'm having fun with all the launch games I bought: NBA 2k14, Madden 25, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, NFS: Rivals, and Killer Instint Ultra~

I don't think the TV features alone make it worth the price of admission, but if you look at the whole package and not JUST the games available or JUST the TV features I think it is absolutely worth it.

If all you plan to use it for is gaming and you don't care for any of the games that are currently available......don't buy it, simple as that.

I don't understand those of you telling people there's no reason to wait.. I mean, if there's not a game out that people want to play why would they buy it now? It's simple common sense.

If there are zero games someone wants for it, and they aren't interested in the console, they don't need someone else to tell them not to buy one.

Last edited:
Back