Xbox One Outsold PlayStation 4 Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
For the third consecutive month, the Xbox One has outsold the PS4. Just goes to show you that the original Xbox One probably should have been smaller and cheaper to start with. ;)

Xbox One was the top-selling home console in the United States September, according to data from industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. This marks the third straight month that Microsoft’s gaming system has beaten out the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Wii U in terms of units sold. After winning July and August, Microsoft has strung together a strong few months.

Good, if only for the reason that Xbox/Microsoft has struck a cord with me by making all their exclusives available for Windows 10 PCs.

Though in the ideal world, wish we could be done with the console platforms, and have everyone unite on PC.

Now, if Microsoft can capture the European market then Sony will have to start working hard again. They've been riding high with inflated egos the past year.

Not really surprised, it is kind of the reverse of what happen last gen. Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 for awhile, then once the PS3 became cheaper and also everyone already owned a Xbox 360 you started seeing a climb in PS3 sales. This time around it was the reverse. So now that the Xbox became cheaper and everyone already owns a PS4 that wanted one you are seeing the shift the other direction.

Good, if only for the reason that Xbox/Microsoft has struck a cord with me by making all their exclusives available for Windows 10 PCs.

Though in the ideal world, wish we could be done with the console platforms, and have everyone unite on PC.

Well, its part way there with consoles being so much closer to PC than in the past.

Not really surprised, it is kind of the reverse of what happen last gen. Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 for awhile, then once the PS3 became cheaper and also everyone already owned a Xbox 360 you started seeing a climb in PS3 sales. This time around it was the reverse. So now that the Xbox became cheaper and everyone already owns a PS4 that wanted one you are seeing the shift the other direction.

just about sums it up nicely... initial sales are always going to be for the system they want first and then later on the secondary system....

The XBOX one is a nice system. I wish the interface lag could be taken care of but I love the controller and I also am absolutely happy that they decided to bring games to PC... Not only bring them to PC but only require me to purchase once to play on both platofrms. That's a huge deal. It might be niche, I'm not sure but I really love it.

I find myself using my XBOX One a lot more than my PS4. In fact, I didn't even bother renewing PSN because I was pretty much never using it.

The PS3 played Blu-ray while the 360 did not. The new Xbox One S plays HDBlu-ray, and the PS4 Pro does not. These are the reasons why I purchased a PS3 and will now buy the Xbox One S. I don't think I am alone but I guess I could be?

These days I can no longer justify buying a console for just a console, but if it can play new media then it can replace a player and provide gaming capabilities.

The PS3 played Blu-ray while the 360 did not. The new Xbox One S plays HDBlu-ray, and the PS4 Pro does not. These are the reasons why I purchased a PS3 and will now buy the Xbox One S. I don't think I am alone but I guess I could be?

These days I can no longer justify buying a console for just a console, but if it can play new media then it can replace a player and provide gaming capabilities.

Yup.. there still was a reason to buy ps3 at launch. Plus sony was coming off their prime with ps2, so sony was able to keep closer in the early race. This time around, there wasn't any reason to pay the higher price, nor software to back it up, thus sony whooped ass. MS has certainly rectified most of the launch issues. and look forward to scorpio...

It turns out that people who buy consoles also like to play games.

Sony might want to write that down, their NA game releases have been scarce at best.

Sony might want to write that down, their NA game releases have been scarce at best.

You're saying that Microsoft launching two big name exclusives (Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4) to rave reviews back to back while Sony has nothing (No Man's Sky end up being worse than nothing) might have something to do with it ;)

I wasn't trying to imply that those who buy them don't but I think having it do MORE than just games is important at this point. It isn't like they can't so for the price I think it should. That is all.

month to month sales don't matter to me, what is the total installed base of the sytsems?

You're saying that Microsoft launching two big name exclusives (Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4) to rave reviews back to back while Sony has nothing (No Man's Sky end up being worse than nothing) might have something to do with it ;)

Yeah as much as I hate console exclusives they are a reason to buy one console over another. Xbox One has had 3 Forza games, Halo 5, and 2 Gears of War games. Plus the new Xbox can play UHD Blurays, which is a lot of added value considering even the standalone players are $100-200+ right now.

PS4 doesn't really have any huge mainstream exclusives. The big "console selling" exclusives on PS3 were the Metal Gear Solid games (which are on Xbox and PC now) and Gran Turismo which just keeps getting delayed. They've had Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 which have their loyal fanbases but they aren't quite as well-known and mainstream as the exclusives Xbox One has had so far.

GTA is always a huge seller too of course, but that is on every platform.

month to month sales don't matter to me, what is the total installed base of the sytsems?

Platform Totals - VGChartz

I don't know how up to date that is but PS4 is still way ahead. Xbone is actually really close in North America, but gets killed in worldwide sales. One interesting thing I noticed looking at those numbers is just how steeply console sales have dropped off in Japan though (one of the places Sony always had a big advantage over Microsoft). It seems they are all playing 3DS or smartphone games now rather than traditional consoles.

Last edited:
The console market is extremely price sensitive.

I don't think it's so much that people are buying the Xbox One S. I think it's that the S has pushed the price of the original fat Xbox One down to around $200. And historically $200 has been the price point where people start to get really interested in consoles.

The fat Xbox Ones are so cheap right now, I'm even thinking of getting one. At $210 shipped on NewEgg right now, it's cheap enough that I think it might be worth it for the exclusive games. Used Xbox Ones are going for around $175.

Last edited:
I bought a XBOX one this month.. but only because of the fact Gamestop offored me $44 off, 3 free games and Gears of War 4 was around the corner.

I still have a PS4, and use it more then the XBONE.

Got Gears of War Ultimate Edition console, (Basic black 500GB XBONE + Gears of War Ultimate Edition), Tomb Raider and Deus Ex free. For around $270 with tax included.

Go online and look for yourself. Personally, I find month to month to be more interesting since it is more relevant to what is occurring today.

Back