XBox one is much more than just a game console

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I have actually been amazed with what I can do with the Xbox one. From voice control to gesture control, I do not even have to pick up the controller unless I am playing a game. The games that are out now are good but I am really looking forward to Destiny, Lego Movie and Wolfenstein: New Order.

I have not even used my computer at home in the last few days since getting this machine. (XFX R9 290, FX8350 at 4.6GHz, 16GB of ram and Windows 8.1 with a ton of games.) I have to say that I think my days of consistent computer upgrading have more or less come to an end. I will still upgrade but not anywhere near as much but I am sure the bug will hit again eventually.

I am also looking forward to the improvements that are sure to come for the Xbox one. Looks like things are looking up. :D

I guess game quality, resolution, and eye candy mean less to you than hands free interfaces. Then the Xb1 should be great for you.

Really? I personally did not notice any real difference in game quality and besides, I am preferring to play more and turn off the FPS meter. :D Games are easily just as good in many instances, not all, because of the direct bare to metal programming. (Mantle should help in this regard though on my PC whenever it comes out.)

Resolution is the same 1080p on my 50 inch Sony TV and eye candy is all there. (PC games are sometimes lacking but that is not because of the hardware but because of the game producers.)

Its a decent media machine with a fancy feature to help boost its status (Kinect 2.0). But it lacks quite a bit as well such as DLNA support which is critical and it lacks more critical apps (HBOGO , Showtime , Spotify , Pandora) to be fair the PS4 lacks all of that as well. Plus the Blu Ray player is sub par (it has a weird audio delay and options are buried in sub menus that aren't easily accessible) on the One.

In terms of gaming the Xbox One will be a beast (and the PS4 will be even better at this due to its increased processing power) but its very hard to justify buying one of these new consoles for media usage. They are both lacking at the moment. I think the PS3 is still the best media player among the consoles currently out. It only lacks HBOGO but that's being added this year. But the best media player you can buy is still an HTPC.

I now own both consoles (PS4 I bought with my money , Xbox One was gifted) and I can say at the moment if you are more concerned with media first games second the One is a better buy. But if you are only concerned with gaming the PS4 is where its at.

You do make some good points and I agree with most of them. Thankfully, DLNA is supposed to eventually come out on the Xbox one and of course, apps will show up down the road. However, for me, if gaming had been my only concern, I would probably had just stuck with my PC which is also my HTPC.

I tried the HDMI pass through but, for the moment, it makes the computer graphics just look a little off. If that gets fixed, I will just do the pass through permanently. (Xbox - Go to TV. :D)

I get a good laugh when I walk by my boy playing on the XB1 and I yell out "XBOX OFF"! Slowly walk away snickering as I hear muttered swear words....

I get a good laugh when I walk by my boy playing on the XB1 and I yell out "XBOX OFF"! Slowly walk away snickering as I hear muttered swear words....

So, you say XBOX OFF and then what ????? You do know you have to say yes or no then, right? Also, you must have done that when with the older consoles and just when up and hit the off button, eh? Clearly, you do not have an Xbox one, do you? Trolling is trolling I guess. ;)

So, you say XBOX OFF and then what ????? You do know you have to say yes or no then, right? Also, you must have done that when with the older consoles and just when up and hit the off button, eh? Clearly, you do not have an Xbox one, do you? Trolling is trolling I guess. ;)

WTF... I know that of course...it still pisses him off when he's in the middle of a battle or playing Madden25 when a screen pops up and has to say "no". How the hech was I trolling with that? You sound like a petty little fan boy waiting for someone to start something....

WTF... I know that of course...it still pisses him off when he's in the middle of a battle or playing Madden25 when a screen pops up and has to say "no". How the hech was I trolling with that? You sound like a petty little fan boy waiting for someone to start something....

Lol. :D No, I am just used to the way you sometimes do things around here, that is all. :D Down boy, down. :) On the other hand, doing that is really no different from going up and turning it off but, whatever. :D

Voice recognition I would imagine will improve as time goes on as well. Then that will be a thing of the past.

I like the Xbox and all...but right now that library is tiny and as a multimedia device it's kinda lacking, too. It has a lot of potential (as does the PS4), but my PC is still getting about 5x the playtime as either of the new consoles. That includes gaming and A/V.

is shouting 'Xbox Off' versus just walking a few steps and turning it off manually really considered a feature nowadays?...the people I know that have one still prefer manual shutdowns

You can still turn it off with the controller, too. If you're gaming, it's no more convenient to say it than to just hit the button.

I was hoping thew XB1 or PS4 could replace my pc this time around but alas that isn't the case. I'm sort of a graphics whore and the pc is just so much better. Plus I can't stomach paying $60 per game, even a year or so after launch for AAA games. Maybe in a couple years programmers can eek even more 1080P graphics out of this generation...here's hoping!

Comparing 1440p to 720p is absolutely ridiculous. Granted my video card alone retailed for more than the x box one, but if you can't tell the difference you have eye problems.

Comparing 1440p to 720p is absolutely ridiculous. Granted my video card alone retailed for more than the x box one, but if you can't tell the difference you have eye problems.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Perhaps I am not sitting right up on top of my TV? Clearly, I know a bit more about what I use and what it looks like than you do, but go on, keep generalizing. :D On the other hand, sorry, I do not personally consider a 1440p monitor at home just for gaming to be worth it. (That is the only real reason I would have a 1440p monitor at home.)

Why did you want something to replace your PC?

This is a very valid question. I have both my Xbox one and my computer/ HTPC. I certainly am not going to get rid of my PC just because I am using my Xbox one most of the time now. (If I need to surf the web only though, I end up using my Surface RT tablet that I got for $170 refurbished.)

Why did you want something to replace your PC?

Because I can pretty much do everything I want to do online now on a console in front of the TV, which my current pc tower is hooked up to. The only real pc I would need is a work laptop, and I have that to work directly from it or rdp into my workstation at the office. I get tired of upgrading/installing multiple game clients, drivers,etc.. all the time just to play the latest games (remember graphics whore :) ). Speaking of valid questions, who would not want to get rid of all those headaches?

Last edited:
Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Perhaps I am not sitting right up on top of my TV? Clearly, I know a bit more about what I use and what it looks like than you do, but go on, keep generalizing. :D On the other hand, sorry, I do not personally consider a 1440p monitor at home just for gaming to be worth it. (That is the only real reason I would have a 1440p monitor at home.)

Regardless of where you sit, there is a reason higher resolution games look much better with appropriate hardware.

You failed to mention your video card, and your rig is surely a few notches below mine, and you clearly have zero experience with higher resolution monitors.

So clearly (I enjoy your use of the word also) you haven't experienced enough to know the difference.

720P gaming... are we locked in 2007? For that reason alone I bought the PS4 instead, along with many other people.

To each their own, enjoy that 720p, I am sure CoD will be fantastic bro

"Xbox OFF" "End Thread" in my loudest xbox voice.

Last edited:
Because I can pretty much do everything I want to do online now on a console in front of the TV, which my current pc tower is hooked up to. The only real pc I would need is a work laptop, and I have that to work directly from it or rdp into my workstation at the office. I get tired of upgrading/installing multiple game clients, drivers,etc.. all the time just to play the latest games (remember graphics whore :) ). Speaking of valid questions, who would not want to get rid of all those headaches?

Most PC gamers haven't had those headaches in years. Those that use beta drivers bring issues upon themselves. Steam updates itself. Drivers can install themselves. Other than cleaning up your registry every 6 months, it should be relatively pain free. I mean, just waiting for console games to load takes much more time than fiddling with PC settings.

patiently waits for son kills father over xbox one news story....

Most PC gamers haven't had those headaches in years.
And let's not forget that modern consoles are hardly immune from their own issues. I mean, what was the failure rate on original Xbox 360s? Multiple orders of magnitude higher than typical PC component failure rates?

That's not to say that console hardware failure is the norm, but it does speak to the unpredictability of these things. The PC platform has its problems, but no console is immune to problems of its own.

Most PC gamers haven't had those headaches in years

You must not be a hardcore gamer then...you can excuse everything you want away as trivial until you have issues. Lets not kid ourselves here, pc gaming is great but there are myriads of headaches not even gaming related that can go wrong. Not trying to start a flame war here, somebody asked and I replied, don't care if some of you don't like the answers.

Dead Rising 3 look amazing wish I could play it on PS4 or PC.
I think that Capcom answered this question somewhere but someone was discussing this over on the Capcom forums (capcom-unity.com) and one of the forum admins said that there were currently no plans for DR3 outside of the XB1 and that it had been mentioned before so the thread was closed. I don't have access to that site from work so I can't find where this was actually answered in more detail.

I'm still slightly optimistic that it's a timed exclusive and that, until this expires, Capcom can't say anything about the game going to other platforms. DR2 sold 2.65 million units on just the consoles (PC supposedly 0.13m but possibly inaccurate) and Capcom is only projecting DR3 to sell 1.2 million on the XB1. DR3 has currently only sold 0.51 million units. Seems ridiculous that they would risk losing so much for exclusivity unless they were compensated.

You must not be a hardcore gamer then...you can excuse everything you want away as trivial until you have issues. Lets not kid ourselves here, pc gaming is great but there are myriads of headaches not even gaming related that can go wrong. Not trying to start a flame war here, somebody asked and I replied, don't care if some of you don't like the answers.

Same can be said about consoles. You're being intellectually dishonest and your illogical debate points should get you fined -2 internet cred.

Same can be said about consoles. You're being intellectually dishonest and your illogical debate points should get you fined -2 internet cred.

Ah, using the ole' smoke and mirrors post while calling me "intellectually dishonest" to mask the fact that consoles generally don't have as many issues as pc's! +2 Internets cred for me. :)

pc gaming is great but there are myriads of headaches not even gaming related that can go wrong.
And as consoles become broader in terms of the features they offer — things unrelated to gaming — they suffer from similar sets of problems as the PC.

There is no mythical device here: just a series of trade-offs.

And as consoles become broader in terms of the features they offer — things unrelated to gaming — they suffer from similar sets of problems as the PC.

There is no mythical device here: just a series of trade-offs.

What mystical device? You mean the same hardware/software base all programmers have to code for vs.on pc with numerous operating systems, hardware configurations, software configurations, etc. and on and on and on. I think you highly, highly underestimate the importance of that? The trade offs are becoming less and less aren't they?

Lets not kid ourselves here, pc gaming is great but there are myriads of headaches not even gaming related that can go wrong

I'll take the 'headaches' over the set-it-and-forget-it consoles...the much increased graphics options, resolutions and modding ability makes it worth it...changing drivers and diagnosing potential gaming issues is a minor 'issue' for most PC gamers...hell I enjoy reformatting my hard drive and doing a complete rebuild (with no imaging software used) every few months

Ah, using the ole' smoke and mirrors post while calling me "intellectually dishonest" to mask the fact that consoles generally don't have as many issues as pc's! +2 Internets cred for me. :)

Hardware failure rates are exponentially higher on consoles vs. PC hardware counterparts.

the much increased graphics options, resolutions and modding ability makes it worth it

Yes, that was my original point why I didn't switch to console only right before the master pc gaming race jumped down my throat. :rolleyes:

he never said consoles had more or even equal the amount of issues as pc's. though he did point out the terrible failure rate of the 360.

while more things can generally go wrong with a pc since it has way more functionality than a console . these headaches you speak of haven been a issue since, what, the late 90s early 2000's.

well unless the pc user has zero technical abilities.

he never said consoles had more or even equal the amount of issues as pc's. though he did point out the terrible failure rate of the 360.

while more things can generally go wrong with a pc since it has way more functionality than a console . these headaches you speak of haven been a issue since, what, the late 90s early 2000's.

well unless the pc user has zero technical abilities.

Go to the pc hardware/software forums and see how many issues gamers haven't had since the early 2000's...:rolleyes:

Nobody says the consoles are infallible but lets be honest they are LOT more headache free.

Regardless of where you sit, there is a reason higher resolution games look much better with appropriate hardware.

You failed to mention your video card, and your rig is surely a few notches below mine, and you clearly have zero experience with higher resolution monitors.

So clearly (I enjoy your use of the word also) you haven't experienced enough to know the difference.

720P gaming... are we locked in 2007? For that reason alone I bought the PS4 instead, along with many other people.

To each their own, enjoy that 720p, I am sure CoD will be fantastic bro

"Xbox OFF" "End Thread" in my loudest xbox voice.

Reread the first post, I mentioned my computer and videocard in it right there. Sorry, your 780Ti is no where near exponentially faster than my XFX R9 290 and no, I do not have zero experience with high resolution monitors. But, whatever you want to believe and all that. Oh, and you keep right on believing that all the Xbox one games are 720p and always will be, enjoy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, have fun with you PS4 now that I understand you bias completely.

Go to the pc hardware/software forums and see how many issues gamers haven't had since the early 2000's...:rolleyes:

Nobody says the consoles are infallible but lets be honest they are LOT more headache free.

How many of those are user error or someone buying a razer product and getting fucked up drivers (also user error, don't buy crappy electronics)?

I never found console gaming to be easier. Load times, browsing terribly designed interfaces and having really bad download speeds waste more time than installing a new driver once every couple months.

You just have a different definition on what is headache inducing. A 2 minute savegame load (every time) in GTA5 wastes much more time than taking 5 minutes to grab a driver.

You're trading potential issues with a PC with potential and guaranteed issues on a console.

You mean the same hardware/software base all programmers have to code for vs.on pc with numerous operating systems, hardware configurations, software configurations, etc. and on and on and on. I think you highly, highly underestimate the importance of that?
No, that isn't what I mean. I was referring to a "mythical device" as a problem-free device. What you seem to believe consoles are. A console can deliver a greater level of reliability than a PC, but doesn't always.

I do think you overestimate the complications inherent in developing for a 'fragmented' platform like the PC, however. We specifically develop abstractions to shield ourselves from the myriad of hardware and software configurations. You generally talk to hardware and to operating systems through APIs, not directly. The APIs pretty effectively shield you from those hardware distinctions. And the things you do talk directly to (CPUs, mainly), you do so in a common language using tools that transparently translate higher-level languages to those languages. Is it really the wild west you portray it as?

The trade offs are becoming less and less aren't they?
I don't think so, no. Consoles are evolving on a different trajectory than PCs, but the PC has its own evolutionary trajectory. The PC used to be about disc-based installs, manual patching, tedious driver updates and severely fragmented social systems. Those are all (mostly) solved problems. Multiple game clients are an impediment to getting unified social systems in PC gaming, but that too will eventually be a solved problem.

You can think as consoles as scaling upward, while the PC as scaling outward. It's not the case that one is stagnant and the other is evolving.

Back