XBox one is much more than just a game console

The Kinect itself does far more than just gestures though. It has many amazing applications as people all over the world are finding out and using.

You're absolutely right, and they've just scratched the surface of what is possible. However, the fact that it's an advanced camera and tracking system attached to an internet connected device is why my paranoid self will not utilize one in my own home.

LOL...what false assumption with the new consoles? Please show me the numbers? There you go again making shit up on the fly...

I'm pretty sure he means it's way too early to tell if the XBox One and PS4 hold up over time, as they've only been released for what, 2 months at most?

You are assuming they will be reliable, as there is no data to support either argument.

I'm pretty sure he means it's way too early to tell if the XBox One and PS4 hold up over time, as they've only been released for what, 2 months at most?

You are assuming they will be reliable, as there is no data to support either argument.

I'm not assuming anything. He said false assumption like its a fact. Go back and read it. My boy's 360 has been rock solid the past 2 1/2 years. I've had to upgrade my pc a few times to play games in that time frame. Granted most of it is my own doing but I'm getting tired of dealing with it. I would hope Sony and MS would have learned a few things by now about console reliability.

What gave you the impression that I was referring specifically to this console generation?

Because I only inferred/posted about the new generation of consoles. Go back and re-read my posts if you must. I only wrote about the 360 in my last post to use as a reference. I don't give a shit about older consoles like the 360 and PS3. We all know about the RROD on the first 360's. The master pc race keeps beating that to death when I'm talking about this new generation.

Consoles just simply work... on PFM :p That's at least what I'm reading with some of the responses regarding them. Are we really jumping to comparisons regarding gaming during the Windows 98 SE era vs last & current gen consoles? On a PC enthusiast forum no less?

You're absolutely right, and they've just scratched the surface of what is possible. However, the fact that it's an advanced camera and tracking system attached to an internet connected device is why my paranoid self will not utilize one in my own home.

True that, but you can turn it off. I don't really use it much at all on my XB1. I may see if I can get a dev kit and hook it up to one my my VMs and play around with it.

I have to ask, but why does every one of ManofGod's posts read like a sales pitch?

"My new Xbone is so nice, I'm not even using my computer which has better specs! Its that good!"
"I don't notice the graphics being any worse on my Xbone compared to a PC, it still looks great to me!"
"I'm very pleased with my Xbone, (And this is just the beginning!)"
"I had a PS2 and X360 which I never had time for due to real life, but that won't be the case with the Xbone, its great!"

I mean, I read this and the only thing I can think is "What is this guy smoking?"
I am just using more of my Xbox one now since it has more capability than my PC does for interaction.

I have to ask, but why does every one of ManofGod's posts read like a sales pitch?

"My new Xbone is so nice, I'm not even using my computer which has better specs! Its that good!"
"I don't notice the graphics being any worse on my Xbone compared to a PC, it still looks great to me!"
"I had a PS2 and X360 which I never had time for due to real life, but that won't be the case with the Xbone, its great!"

I mean, I read this and the only thing I can think is "What is this guy smoking?"

I'm just glad he was honest about this being a subjective viewpoint. I can't really fault him for his preference.

I have to ask, but, why must you give me a reason to put you on ignore? Thanks, bye. Oh, and nice cherry picking there.

I'm just glad he was honest about this being a subjective viewpoint. I can't really fault him for his preference.

Thank you, I appreciate it. :D I like being able to use things and I definitely was incredibly surprised about what the Xbox one can do.

Thank you, I appreciate it. :D I like being able to use things and I definitely was incredibly surprised about what the Xbox one can do.

Seeing as this is the very kind of sentence lilbabycat was talking about, did you type this on purpose? ;)

i lol'd

Seeing as this is the very kind of sentence lilbabycat was talking about, did you type this on purpose? ;)

i lol'd

Nope, just reiterating what I had said in the first post. If those of the PC Master race cannot get over it, I suggest they go outside and deal with reality. Besides, the outside graphics blow away anything a computer will ever produce. :D (This was not directed at you though, just saying.) Well, I did not type it on purpose for that purpose but I suppose if it works. :D

I enjoy gaming though because I can do things I will never do it real life. You know, like flying a Jumbo Jetliner or racing a race through the streets of a city. :)

I don't give a shit about older consoles like the 360 and PS3. I only wrote about the 360 in my last post to use as a reference.
Like it or not, however, they're relevant. We're discussing console vs PC reliability in general, which means those consoles — and those which came before — are data points.

If you believe the discussion was about the PS4/XB1 specifically, you're simply mistaken. I obviously can't speak to the reliability rates of consoles that have only been available for two to three months (only in terms of initial failure rates, which isn't particularly meaningful), so there's certainly little point in me trying.

I loved the xbox 360 since it was "more than a game console" and thus naturally went with xbox one too for the same. But honestly I am disapointed in alot of things about it so far (some that were known from the start):

• Not a Windows Media Center extender or any sort of support for it. But this is just Microsoft in general seeming to abandon it :(
  • I use HTPC/Extenders and not a cablebox so the HDMI pass through kind of sucks and doesn't work like I imaged of saying "watch tv" lol.
  • You can't program the Xbox One to like, change inputs. So the "Xbox on" and "Xbox turn off" gimmick doesn't work for me since I'm not always tuned in to the Xbox. So for example, if I already had the TV on and decide I want to play my Xbox and say "Xbox On" my TV would turn off since it was already on...
  • I sometimes get audio glitches with the 5.1 surround where the sound just distorts. I have to go to the settings menu and toggle it from stereo and back to 5.1 to make it work again.
  • The voice commands seem to only work relatively well if things are silent. If you've got people over having some conversations around then it doesn't seem to hear well (maybe a calibration issue?). Also wish maybe if it could handle actually only listening to a certain voice? Though maybe that's not even possible with the technology.
  • Now I don't know if it's the Xbox Kinect or the game, but in nba 2k14 just playing a game with some friends around and making comments and stuff the Kinect would pick up totally wrong keywords being said and effect the game. I should probably just turn that feature off entirely.
  • Everything is an "App" it seems and needs to take a bit of time to be loaded. Like to see an achievement, I need to wait for an App to load and see it? What the hell? Same thing with Friends list?
  • How the hell do I record things without Kinect? I'm too lazy to look it up but I couldn't find a manual way to record something equivalent to yelling at the Kinect and saying "Xbox, Record that."

Also, my Kinect had died on me and they replaced it pretty quickly and painlessly. But still rubbed me the wrong way. I'd been pretty lucky in the past with all my gaming hardware (yes, even Xbox 360's which never broke down on me).

Like it or not, however, they're relevant. We're discussing console vs PC reliability in general, which means those consoles — and those which came before — are data points.

If you believe the discussion was about the PS4/XB1 specifically, you're simply mistaken. I obviously can't speak to the reliability rates of consoles that have only been available for two to three months (only in terms of initial failure rates, which isn't particularly meaningful), so there's certainly little point in me trying.

That is simply bullshit...but believe what you want. This thread is about the XB1 (re-read the title) and your pc master race tried to twist it around to make your arguments with 5-6 year old data due to the RROD make it seem more relevant. If your confused or can't decipher what I was talking about feel free not to participate. Your right, no point in trying....

That is simply bullshit...but believe what you want. This thread is about the XB1 (re-read the title) and your pc master race tried to twist it around to make your arguments with 5-6 year old data due to the RROD make it seem more relevant. If your confused or can't decipher what I was talking about feel free not to participate. Your right, no point in trying....

I'm gonna vomit if I see "pc master race" again.

ORIGINALITY, PEOPLE

Claims like the last one I quoted "capability for interaction" just screams lawyer/salesmen language. Crafted statements that when literally broken down are true, but imply untrue things; as well as the vague word usage. What does he mean by "interaction"? Is "his" pc incapable of having a camera, mic, even a kinect hooked up to it? That kind of speaking/writing is done on purpose and its incredibly annoying. (Sets up threads to turn into pissing contests, with the OP claiming no fault of being the instigator)

Are the voice features (which to me are meaningless as I'm picking up a controller which has all the same capabilities with 1-3 button presses) enough to justify $100 premium over a PS4 (which has better hardware)?

If you're using it for media consumption and not gaming, why not buy a $100 streambox / used PS3 ?

Let alone if you *already* have a nice PC is there anything right now that justifies any console purchase? The exclusive titles are very weak at the moment from both camps.

Godmachine's initial post pretty much summed up the reality of both console camps, as well as the value proposition.

Lastly, in response to pcjunkie, since you're being extremely technical and mincing words; This thread is in "General Gaming" and not "Console Gaming", so if you want to claim this is a "Console-only Xbox one present by MS echo-chamber", it should have been put in that subforum.

Claims like the last one I quoted "capability for interaction" just screams lawyer/salesmen language. Crafted statements that when literally broken down are true, but imply untrue things; as well as the vague word usage. What does he mean by "interaction"? Is "his" pc incapable of having a camera, mic, even a kinect hooked up to it? That kind of speaking/writing is done on purpose and its incredibly annoying. (Sets up threads to turn into pissing contests, with the OP claiming no fault of being the instigator)

Are the voice features (which to me are meaningless as I'm picking up a controller which has all the same capabilities with 1-3 button presses) enough to justify $100 premium over a PS4 (which has better hardware)?

If you're using it for media consumption and not gaming, why not buy a $100 streambox / used PS3 ?

Let alone if you *already* have a nice PC is there anything right now that justifies any console purchase? The exclusive titles are very weak at the moment from both camps.

Godmachine's initial post pretty much summed up the reality of both console camps, as well as the value proposition.

Lastly, in response to pcjunkie, since you're being extremely technical and mincing words; This thread is in "General Gaming" and not "Console Gaming", so if you want to claim this is a "Console-only Xbox one present by MS echo-chamber", it should have been put in that subforum.

I'm technically speaking of this particular "thread topic/title" and the following discussion to be precise. And in particular my posts were about new consoles, I guess in particular the XB1 or PS4. Why on earth would a single topic need a new sub forum, unless of course you want to go off topic? In other words...wtf?

PS: By all means go ahead and bring up the XB360, PS3. heck lets bring in the PS2 and the wii...how about really old Nintendo stuff!

Are you a lawyer? Do you not like that I find the Xbox one for me to be absolutely amazing? Are you now going into a fit of rage because I just used those words? Deal with it or get out, otherwise you will end up with an ulcer. :D Get ready to throw up because the PC Master race can be just as bad as Apple fanatics.

It is hardware and software, you do not like that, oh well. Try enjoying what you have and also if you want to, letting others know how much you enjoy what you have. If you do not agree with me, oh well but, I am not afraid of letting others know what I think of something when it is something positive.

Last edited:
Are you a lawyer? Do you not like that I find the Xbox one for me to be absolutely amazing? Are you now going into a fit of rage because I just used those words? Deal with it or get out, otherwise you will end up with an ulcer. :D Get ready to throw up because the PC Master race can be just as bad as Apple fanatics.

It is hardware and software, you do not like that, oh well. Try enjoying what you have and also if you want to, letting others know how much you enjoy what you have. If you do not agree with me, oh well but, I am not afraid of letting others know what I think of something when it is something positive.

Bravo, well said. It really seems to upset certain posters on here if you like something "outside" the norm. Valid reasons or not they attack anything you say or twist things around like a moving target. I haven't even gone to a console yet, just posted my thoughts and reasons (my boy has 360 & XB1) and yet now I'm anti pc and a console fan boy.

And let's not forget that modern consoles are hardly immune from their own issues. I mean, what was the failure rate on original Xbox 360s? Multiple orders of magnitude higher than typical PC component failure rates?

That's not to say that console hardware failure is the norm, but it does speak to the unpredictability of these things. The PC platform has its problems, but no console is immune to problems of its own.

Hardware failure rates are exponentially higher on consoles vs. PC hardware counterparts.

I think these are pretty big exaggerations. Failure rates on PCs over time are like 5-25% from 1 - 3 years. So multiple orders of magnitude would be like 1000%? exponentially? Most electronics in consoles are produced in similar fashion and factories to their PC counterparts and probably have very similar real world failure rates.

It's also not like MS didn't extend the warranty for people in the case of the RROD.

No, i'm not angry at your (now extremely blatant) attempts to bait me. I was merely pointing out how these so-called discussions go. As far as the comparison to Apple, us PC folk tend to lean towards the hyper-factual, whereas the Apple people (and you) lean towards the hyper-personal-feelings-equal-facts. They both have their negatives. Lots of things look awesome on paper but in reality equate to a kinda shitty experience, my experiences with Crossfiring 6870's comes to mind (much higher performance but microstutter almost negates all the benefit).

ANYWAYS, as far as the hardware failures side-discussion goes, X360's had the RROD failure on more than just their 1st, 2nd, 3rd run. The problem continued to exist 3? years into its life. Its simply unacceptable for such a widespread problem be identified and not properly fixed. My brother's went up, one bought at release, just a month ago, whereas my cousin has gone through 3 of them. Everyone has different experiences with the RROD.
PC's on the otherhand, people need to get real about their failures. PC *parts* fail constantly, usually its an Out-of-Box failure, you get an RMA, exchange and you're good. I still chalk that up as a "pc failure". Once your system is properly built, stress tested, and properly maintained (dust it every couple of months, maybe replace thermal compound once every 3yrs) failure rates are extremely low.
The blame for pc failures needs to be spread across dozens of different vendors and really its apples to oranges. Usually we hear about one specific model of one specific part having major failures. How do you compare it to something like X360's failures?
I think the argument would be that in buying a console you are paying for MS / Sony / Nintendo to be the quality control on all the parts that go into their device, and if something is identified to be bad / have high failure rates that they should rectify that. MS failed at that with the X360 and I'm sure the lesson is learned.
Ok i'm rambling at this point. TLDR: PC failures are equal if not more to consoles but usually caught early.

Illustrious Gentlemen of the Order of Proper Platform Preference.

WUBGHKs.png

Last edited:
Back