Xbox One Is "Literally A Windows Device"

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you but I agree with this statement, especially once the Windows 10 Xbox One update hits later this year.

Microsoft considers the Xbox One to be "literally a Windows device," sitting alongside Windows PCs and phones. That's according to Microsoft EVP and chief marketing officer Chris Capossela, who said during a recent presentation that he doesn't consider the Xbox One to be a "separate animal" in the Windows family.

because there would be no reason to buy the xbox one.
The way I see it, is that there is currently no reason to buy Xbox games, because I'm not going to buy their locked-down low-end PC in a box.
Don't consoles make all of their money on software sales anyway? Seems like it would make more sense to release them on PC as well - especially that Xbox 360 emulation, since the Xbox One seems to be struggling to handle it.

The way I see it, is that there is currently no reason to buy Xbox games, because I'm not going to buy their locked-down low-end PC in a box.
Don't consoles make all of their money on software sales anyway? Seems like it would make more sense to release them on PC as well - especially that Xbox 360 emulation, since the Xbox One seems to be struggling to handle it.

The hard part is selling a pc to people for their living room. It is what is in there right now but they don't know it. "PC or Computer" are intimidating to the masses. There needs to be a good attempt at living room pc that isnt some stupid linux box that can only play 12 games.

I play on xbox and pc, both have their purposes. I do wish I could have a pc completely dedicated to just gaming, but I end up doing other stuff on it as well so it never holds up as well because it gets bogged down with too much crap.

Microsoft considers the Xbox One to be "literally a Windows device," sitting alongside Windows PCs and phones. That's according to Microsoft EVP and chief marketing officer Chris Capossela, who said during a recent presentation that he doesn't consider the Xbox One to be a "separate animal" in the Windows family.

of course Xbox is a separate animal. let me know when you can install your own programs on an Xbox. until then this is marketing BS

of course Xbox is a separate animal. let me know when you can install your own programs on an Xbox. until then this is marketing BS

What they mean is in regards to apps.

Unless something has changed, the plans were that come the Windows 10 update for Xbox One you would be able to run Windows 10 apps on the Xbox One, just as you are supposed to be able to run them on a windows 10 phone ( don't have a phone so can't test that).

The Xbox has multiple OSs running on it. There is the Windows OS that runs the dashboard side of things, there is the gaming OS that runs the games, there is a 3rd OS that runs and ties data together from the two. And I guess now there is a 4th OS to emulate the 360 OS to let you run old games. They are upgrading the dashboard from being a version of Window 8 to being Window 10 based. And it sounded like they were planning on making that a little more windows feature rich instead of just using the core part of the OS.

Trying to use what you can and can't install is an invalid argument as you can't install desktop programs on a Window phone, or on a surface tablet (none pro). And yet those are windows os devices.

You know what, I would be ok with buying a Windows 10 "Gaming" edition for 200 bucks for my next windows 10 OS. This Gaming edition would include the option to boot to "xbox" mode to allow me to play xbox and xbox one games on my system.

this would be awesome for the hardware market as it would spur a bunch of upgrades, Chief among them.. blue ray drives for personal PC's. Until then I really have no reason to own one at this point.

then you have people that will want to consume all sorts of blue ray content in windows and xbox modes. Fun times all around.

the problem is coding for Xbox Game mode would be a titanic pain in the ass depending on the DirectX API and how it handles different video cards. Would it become a pain to develop for game mode? That is where the problem is, because then you have.. "I made it for game mode but people have multi screen and like to have websites and stuff open on the second screen but game mode is one screen only..." and others of course.

Unless something has changed, the plans were that come the Windows 10 update for Xbox One you would be able to run Windows 10 apps on the Xbox One, just as you are supposed to be able to run them on a windows 10 phone ( don't have a phone so can't test that).

The Xbox has multiple OSs running on it. There is the Windows OS that runs the dashboard side of things, there is the gaming OS that runs the games, there is a 3rd OS that runs and ties data together from the two. And I guess now there is a 4th OS to emulate the 360 OS to let you run old games. They are upgrading the dashboard from being a version of Window 8 to being Window 10 based. And it sounded like they were planning on making that a little more windows feature rich instead of just using the core part of the OS.

Trying to use what you can and can't install is an invalid argument as you can't install desktop programs on a Window phone, or on a surface tablet (none pro). And yet those are windows os devices.

UHHH.. I don't think OS means what you think it means. You have the host OS with various API's that different functions can call. Emulation.. that's an API call, Game running.. another API call, OS.. with it's base integration HOSTS these API's.

UHHH.. I don't think OS means what you think it means. You have the host OS with various API's that different functions can call. Emulation.. that's an API call, Game running.. another API call, OS.. with it's base integration HOSTS these API's.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-runs-three-operating-systems/

http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-architecture-explained-runs-windows-8-virtually-indistinguishable/

They aren't APIs, basically think of it like a hypervisor. you have the base OS switching between the two then the other two running on top of that. No different that running Hyper-V on a windows 10 computer with a copy of Red Hat and a copy of Windows 95 running on top of it.

The hard part is selling a pc to people for their living room. It is what is in there right now but they don't know it. "PC or Computer" are intimidating to the masses. There needs to be a good attempt at living room pc that isnt some stupid linux box that can only play 12 games.
I'm not saying that they should stop selling the Xbox or that no-one should buy them. But there's no way that I'm going to buy a system which is essentially a lower-end PC than the one I already use for games, and I imagine that a lot of PC gamers feel the same.
However there are some exclusive games that I might consider buying if they were "PC & Xbox" instead of Xbox-only.

I play on xbox and pc, both have their purposes. I do wish I could have a pc completely dedicated to just gaming, but I end up doing other stuff on it as well so it never holds up as well because it gets bogged down with too much crap.
In 2015? There's been no reason to reinstall "because things are slowing down" since Windows 7 in my experience. (arguably since Windows 2000)

Yeah and guess what there's still a big wall - they're not going to let the garbage pit that is the Windows app store anywhere near their pristine Xbox environment. The only reason they've been parroting the marketing line about "It's all just one Windows now" is to try to prop up their failed mobile efforts and create perception that developers of Metro apps will be able to publish on Xbox too.

Xbox will remain homogenized and iron fist controlled, there is no kumbaya here as MS PR wants people to believe.

I'm not saying that they should stop selling the Xbox or that no-one should buy them. But there's no way that I'm going to buy a system which is essentially a lower-end PC than the one I already use for games, and I imagine that a lot of PC gamers feel the same.
However there are some exclusive games that I might consider buying if they were "PC & Xbox" instead of Xbox-only.

In 2015? There's been no reason to reinstall "because things are slowing down" since Windows 7 in my experience. (arguably since Windows 2000)

Between startup time delay, active tasks in background, 40 windows and tabs of browsers open. Yes this is actually still an issue. You can't honestly expect a pc used for 3years to have the exact same performance as a fresh install.

Having a closed system like XBO is supposed to make creating games easier. There's less hardware variables to deal with. ie: Which video driver? What DX version? Which video chipset? How much video memory? What CPU speed? What system memory? Plus it removes a lot of the overhead that you would never need. (Do you see how many services and threads that run in the background on a typical windows machine? We are talking hundreds to thousands.)

One of the things that made the XBox (original) so powerful @ 800MHz was it removed a lot of the inefficiencies and made getting "to the metal" easier on a closed system. Look how many great games we received on XBox like Halo or Project Gotham.

Yet when these were ported to much "more powerful" PC's (Halo), the performance was anemic at best.

So I wouldn't count on a straight port. It would make support a nightmare and add tons of code inefficiencies (rendering branches/paths)

It's a pipe dream.

Yeah and guess what there's still a big wall - they're not going to let the garbage pit that is the Windows app store anywhere near their pristine Xbox environment. The only reason they've been parroting the marketing line about "It's all just one Windows now" is to try to prop up their failed mobile efforts and create perception that developers of Metro apps will be able to publish on Xbox too.

Xbox will remain homogenized and iron fist controlled, there is no kumbaya here as MS PR wants people to believe.

I guess we will see. Although this is what they have been pushing from the start. Windows 10 includes phone, desktops, tablets, and xbox one. They have been saying they want to bring everything together as much as possible. Which so far is being able to stream your Xbox One to windows 10, being able to use some of the features such as game dvr on windows 10. Soon you will be able to stream pc to your xbox one. They want everything to tie together. Although in the end only time will tell. Honestly I view it as good and bad. I know that the system runs on windows, but at the same time I am not sure I want to sort through tons of crap to find what I want to download. Plus some apps just won't make sense on an xbox.

Good then for fracks sakes let it run the full OS w/o limitation treat the xbone like a htpc!

Between startup time delay, active tasks in background, 40 windows and tabs of browsers open. Yes this is actually still an issue. You can't honestly expect a pc used for 3years to have the exact same performance as a fresh install.

If you stop unnecessary background tasks/apps from loading then you can have the same or near performance as a fresh install.

I wish i could go back and find the first time i said it..

"PC's are not dying, consoles are just becoming PC's.."

and every year and every new console has proven me correct :D

SSD/HDD
PSU
KEY
MOUSE
WIRELESS LAN adapt.
Optical
OS

Question, how often are console games on sale for less than $30.... (see: Steam) :)

How often have they made and kept to their promises of games being compatible / backwards with old / new consoles...

Ya, a console is cheaper, but once you add in a bunch of games, price starts going up real quick, additional controller..et cetera... there are costs involved that can make console gaming expensive quick.

Question, how often are console games on sale for less than $30.... (see: Steam) :)

How often have they made and kept to their promises of games being compatible / backwards with old / new consoles...

Ya, a console is cheaper, but once you add in a bunch of games, price starts going up real quick, additional controller..et cetera... there are costs involved that can make console gaming expensive quick.

umm... every day

I picked up Call of Duty: Ghost on the 360 this weekend for $20.

About a month ago on the Xbox One got Far Cry 4 digital copy for something like $25 for the premium edition, $30 for the Shadow of Mordor.

This week, Battlefield 4 is half off $15 for normal edition, $30 for the premium, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 (all 3 parts) are 75% off so $5 each. AC:Unity is half off ($20), along with some other games. Normally on the 360 you have about 5 - 8 games on sell for under $10 then 5 - 8 on sell for under $5.

Steam does have more games on sale, but Xbox still has games on sale every day never the less.

Im happy just the way it is. I want to game from my couch and use my computer at my desk. The xb1 is a pc, which is strictly for gaming and media viewing. Dont want a kb/mouse in my living room, let that stay in my office.

Windows 10 will be the floatation device that it needs to stay competitive. Except you're still better off buying a gaming PC.

Microsoft One is the company motto because its all 1 core code base now.
No more one off branches of MS tech.
It follows that anything running modern MS code is an end device of some kind.

Sounds like you need more RAM. This should not be an issue.
Without closing any browser windows or any of the other applications running on my system, idle CPU is about 95%. That 5% has a negligible impact on game performance.
With 16GB RAM in my system there is currently 6GB free, which is more than enough for any current games. If I needed more I could either close some applications, or upgrade to 32GB.
But since you won't be multi-tasking when gaming, things like the browser would just be moved into the page file if a game needs more than the 6GB which is currently free.

Zone74, and the XBOX being a low-end PC.

As a parent, I rather buy my kid a $350 xbone than spend so much more for a PC, which will require an upgrade sooner, rather than later.
I have a xbox 360, paid $199.99 in 2011, have game on it for hours/days, yet I have not spent not even a penny upgrading a single piece of hardware.
Are the games crystal clear? Yeah....it's not like some of you make it to be, as some of you think a tree looks like a building, just because you can't adjust video settings.
I'm not saying that there is no reason for them to exist - they're absolutely great for the scenario you describe.
As someone that already owns a gaming PC, there is no reason to spend $450 (the price of an Xbox One here) on what amounts to a lower-end gaming PC when I already own faster hardware and could spend some or all of that money on a GPU upgrade for example.
I've kept the same CPU for almost five years and there's very little reason to upgrade as far as gaming is concerned.
If I was happy with console-level performance there would have been no reason for me to upgrade my five year old GTX 570 either. (recently replaced with a GTX 960)

You could probably go this whole generation without an upgrade using a GTX 570 or similar class GPU if you're happy with console-level performance - so that would be a single GPU lasting two generations of console hardware.
PC game prices here are half that of the console prices on the day of release, and half that again after a month or two.

The initial cost is certainly higher, but I'm not sure that the long-term cost is.
This generation they have tried selling the same games again with "upgraded" versions (i.e. now runs at 1080p 60 FPS instead of 720p 30) while I can still play every PC game I've ever bought from 20+ years ago on this PC.

What I don't understand, is that with the Xbox One basically being a PC running a version of Windows at its core, and with console manufacturers often losing money on the hardware to make it up on software sales, why not release the games on PC as well?

My point is that anyone with a good gaming PC is not going to buy an Xbox anyway, and people that don't want to build a gaming PC can still buy the Xbox.
It shouldn't cannibalize sales at all, they should just end up selling more software.

Sad part is that, you to go a store and there are tons of titles to choose from, either xbone or ps4. Yet, not a single game for PC.
Well no, it's all digital distribution on PC.
Very few games see a retail release on PC and most of the time it's just a steam key in the box.
With console games having 5-15 GB day one patches, they might as well not be putting anything on the discs either.

Windows 10 will be the floatation device that it needs to stay competitive. Except you're still better off buying a gaming PC.

Explain. What killer or must have feature in Windows 10 will make Xbox One somehow more competitive?

Microsoft One is the company motto because its all 1 core code base now.
No more one off branches of MS tech.
It follows that anything running modern MS code is an end device of some kind.

Mottos are cool. But it's but it's not all one codebase. Not even close. I know a lot of people believe That DirectX for example is the same between Xbox and Windows, but it's worlds apart.

Well no, it's all digital distribution on PC.
Very few games see a retail release on PC and most of the time it's just a steam key in the box.
With console games having 5-15 GB day one patches, they might as well not be putting anything on the discs either.

And what is funny about that part there is that pc gamers bitch about consoles going digital because "think about data caps" and yet as you stated you don't buy pc games on anything now but digital.

And what is funny about that part there is that pc gamers bitch about consoles going digital because "think about data caps" and yet as you stated you don't buy pc games on anything now but digital.

eh I'm pretty sure that was console people bitching about consoles going digital, not PC gamers. the kiddos still feel this entitlement to play a game disc for a week and then sell it to gamestop.

eh I'm pretty sure that was console people bitching about consoles going digital, not PC gamers. the kiddos still feel this entitlement to play a game disc for a week and then sell it to gamestop.

Yes and no. Some of the console people bitch about not being able to sell. Others admit they have never owned a console in their life and now they never will because that is bullshit that they are forcing you to download games because of data caps.

Back