Xbox One Games Launching Post-Scorpio Will Natively Render At 4K

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager Shannon Loftis made this bold claim for the upgraded Xbox One console, but based on the quote, it is hard to tell whether she only means games from Microsoft Studios or Scorpio games in general. In any case, true 4K games is something Microsoft will now have to demonstrate, and it should be interesting to see whether they can pull it off.

"Our goal is for Xbox is to provide the broadest spectrum of games," says Loftis. "The number one thing we hear when we talk to gamers...is choice." Next year will be big for Xbox, as it rolls out its Project Scorpio console to compete with Sony and the rival PlayStation 4. The more powerful PS4 Pro will launch in November. Loftis says Microsoft is already exploring virtual reality options and games for Xbox, which will support VR with Scorpio, as well as prepping titles for the boost in visual quality. "Any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K."

Not going to happen. Scorpio is only what, ~20% faster than Pro on paper. Most games running 4K will simply be up scaled.

But at this point in time, the console is effectively dead. They could just as well build it with PC parts, specially with the short lifespan.

That does lead to an interesting situation. Xbox one - year 1-2 games at 1080p, year 3-4 at 720p, and year 5+ at 576p. Xbox one Scorpio does year 1-2 at 4k, 3-4 at 1080p, and 5+ at 720p. Xbox one ninjaawsomenewstuff year 1-4 at 4k, year 5+ at 1080.

I mean if the original can play the games there are people that won't care and won't upgrade because they just want to play. Then there are people that will buy the new version every time they can because they want the best (but are too lazy to understand the power of pc).

It would only really work this way if Microsoft was upfront about it though. If they went into it saying "you buy the first one and you get 1080p forever" then they have an issue.

If they were actually interested in providing the best experience to the largest swath of console users, they would be shooting for 60FPS at 1080p with better in game settings.

Half-assing 4K doesn't benefit anyone other than MS's marketing department.

From that statement I would say anything made by Microsoft. Kind of like how Microsoft studio games going forward should almost all be Xbox Play Anywhere compatible, it sounds like after project Scorpio they will also run at 4K. Which does make sense. Microsoft wants to make sure they are pushing whatever the features are to help show what it possible and make sure others do the same. If Microsoft only launched games that ran at a little above 1080P after saying they could support 4K, why would anyone else bother if Microsoft never. Mix that in with the fact that Sony went first and was showing that they couldn't hit the numbers natively that gives Microsoft something to aim for to help push more sales.

native 4k at 30 fps is doable with Polaris i think its not entirely impossible. Close to the metal i guess.

Edit: I guess Sony is going for more choice, better framerates or better graphics by using upscaling.

Lol.

This is hilarious. My overclocked Pascal Titan cooled by a custom water loop can barely render some titles adequately at 4k, and they are going to try to do it with console level hardware?

Amused, Amused, Amused.

Is the Xbox rendering these at 4K or are they upscaled from 1080p?

Lol.

This is hilarious. My overclocked Pascal Titan cooled by a custom water loop can barely render some titles adequately at 4k, and they are going to try to do it with console level hardware?

Amused, Amused, Amused.

30 FPS vs 60 FPS target.

These games will be 'native' 4K in the same way Quantum Break was 'Native' 1080p.

I wonder how many chortling about vaporware here and talking about 4K on a console is impossible are the first to complain when a triple A title comes out and the port to PC is a mess. Hasn't the writing be on the proverbial gaming wall for years? The money for game development is in consoles weather you like it or not and a lot of publishers treat PC as an after thought. Is the hardware on PC almost always going to be better than a console, yes of course, but that doesn't negate reasons to play on a console. For one, many years back, the rampant cheating and hacking in PC multiplayer is what really turned me to consoles in the first place when it comes to certain multiplayer games. Has there been the same on consoles? Sure, but not at the levels its been at on PCs. I also like being able to pick the platform that a game plays best on, if endless amounts of eye candy and top notch graphics is what I want in a certain title will I buy that game for a console, of course not, but just because someone decides they like to game on consoles doesn't make them brain dead as some on here would like the world to believe. Is either platform perfect? Nope! Decide what you like most about gaming and play on the platform that best supports it and if you can afford it maybe play on multiple platforms so that you can truly enjoy what gaming has to offer. Just my two cents.....

Its possible. Consoles games are written for specific set of hardware. PC games have to generally work for most hardware.

I doubt anyone in here really hates consoles.

Where people have a problem is that console manufacturers routinely promise the moon and fail to deliver. Hell, the XBone could barely do 1080p. Unless they sneak the Polaris equivalent of a GTX 1080 into the Scorpio, there is no way they are going to hit that target.

I doubt anyone in here really hates consoles.

Where people have a problem is that console manufacturers routinely promise the moon and fail to deliver.
Completely agree, and I would expand that out to game publishers in general which is really what the big console makers are.

'Can' and 'will' are quite different words in this situation.

For a second, I thought EVERY game will natively render at 4k once Scorpio is released, including on the older Xbox 1's, effectively crippling the older hardware.

30 FPS vs 60 FPS target.

IMHO, I'd probably need something 20% faster than an overclocked Pascal Titan to be happy at 4k at 60fps.

This would mean that in order for 30fps at 4k to be decent, the Xbox console would need to be ~60% as fast as my Pascal Titan. This would be equivalent to a 1080 at stock clocks.

If this upcoming Xbox performs that well I will eat my hat.

More likely it has 15fps@4k power at best.

IMHO, I'd probably need something 20% faster than an overclocked Pascal Titan to be happy at 4k at 60fps.

This would mean that in order for 30fps at 4k to be decent, the Xbox console would need to be ~60% as fast as my Pascal Titan. This would be equivalent to a 1080 at stock clocks.

If this upcoming Xbox performs that well I will eat my hat.

More likely it has 15fps@4k power at best.

Eh....I don't know about your math, but at 3840 X 2160 (UHD), from a Guru3d review has the RX480 able to be at 30 fps. Whatever Xbox is saying is "Native 4k", don't consider it impossible.

MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X review

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=24239

It's supposed to have 5 TFLOPS of gpu power, so that's near the rx 480 which can run some titles at 4k 30 fps. I figure with console optimization, this would be doable.

I don't get what the fuzz is with the consoles doing 4k upscaling. I mean its not like any 4k TV can't do it by itself.

BTW I've read that the PS4 pro will be capable of 1080p/60 and upscaled 4k/30, but why half the framerate if its only upscaling?

Doubt.png

Eh....I don't know about your math, but at 3840 X 2160 (UHD), from a Guru3d review has the RX480 able to be at 30 fps. Whatever Xbox is saying is "Native 4k", don't consider it impossible.

Yeah that Guru3D review is complete garbage.

The RX480 is nowhere even near 4k capable at 30fps except maybe in ancient titles or maybe if you totally gimp every modern setting on some of the more recent titles, but even then there are titles that would wind up in unplayable territory.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided can barely maintain 30fps on an overclocked Pascal Titan.

I've been on 4k for about a year now, and my dual 980ti's were not enough in many cases, nor is my Pascal Titan.

An RX480? Yeah that's not even a funny joke. That thing is barely sufficient at 1080p in many cases.

I don't get what the fuzz is with the consoles doing 4k upscaling. I mean its not like any 4k TV can't do it by itself.

BTW I've read that the PS4 pro will be capable of 1080p/60 and upscaled 4k/30, but why half the framerate if its only upscaling?

The processing power of the PS4 Pro allows for the use of more sophisticated (and resource-intensive) upscaling algorithms than what you could get from a TV (which usually use simple bilinear/bicubic algorithms).

Also from Guru 3d:

I wouldn't consider 19fps in high, and 16fps in ultra to be acceptable. Would you?

I mean, especially considering that these are average framerates, meaning that about half the time, the framerate is lower than this.

Nobody gives a shit about the terrible performance with Deus Ex. We know it performs like shit, but that game doesn't define how every other game performs at 4K on the RX 480. And get real, consoles rarely if ever use ultra or even high settings.

Nobody gives a shit about the terrible performance with Deus Ex. We know it performs like shit, but that game doesn't define how every other game performs at 4K on the RX 480. And get real, consoles rarely if ever use ultra or even high settings.

Indeed. Tech Powerup shows the RX 480 getting an avg., of 22.7 fps on BF4 at ultra.
AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB Review

Witcher 3: 22
Just Cause 3: 27.5
GTA 5: 24.2

Guru3d: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 GAMING review

RoTR: 25 fps
Deus Ex: 20 fps
Doom: 40 fps

Doom is at 40 fps at 3840x2160 on Ultra settings. Like I said before, its not impossible for the RX 480 to hit 30 fps at 4K. Using medium settings, it might even be a constant. Considering that consoles can allow for better code optimization I really don't think you can dismiss Polaris and reaching 4k at 30 fps under certain conditions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09...io-will-run-microsoft-made-games-at-native-4k

Hold up, according to IGN, reporting on the original article, states that Microsoft is looking for the target of 4K, 60 Hz, with 6 teraflops. Considering that the interview states native 4K (unless the interviewee was wrong), unless the graphics look like crap, that would mean that Polaris can't be powering the Scorpio. It would have to be some type of Vega architecture. Now, the Scorpio is intended to launch next year Christmas season, and prices aren't known yet so it may well be a new console generation.

You're not going to get a $1000+ PC experience (6700K, 16GB RAM, nice MB, GTX 1070, PSU, HDD, BR Player...) on a $400 console. No matter how optimized the software is for the console. Just not going to happen.

For $400, you can do very well, though. You won't get that Ultra quality at 4K at 60FPS. But, you can probably get high (medium?) at 4K with 30FPS. If you're expecting more than that, you may want to spend more for a nice PC.

They are not competing against PC's. They are competing with other consoles. 4K on the Xbox is going to be acceptable. It's not going to be great, especially the first generation of 4K boxes.

I remember reading some where that games that run at 1080p/60 on Xbox One will be able to run at 4K/60 on the Scorpio. If this is true then they won't look very good at 4K/60. Honestly, the only games I can think of that run at 1080p/60 on Xbox One are the remastered Halo games on The Master Chief Collection and Doom but it uses FXAA which looks quite blurry. Others that try to run at 1080p/60 use a dynamic resolution to drop below 1080p so they can maintain 60fps. I think at best we'll get 4K/30 on the Scorpio unless the game makes serious compromises with the graphical settings.

Back