Xbox One Gains Mouse and Keyboard Support Next Week

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Xbox fans will be getting a slice of the PC gaming experience soon, as mouse and keyboard support is finally coming to the Xbox One next week. This control option will be available for fifteen titles, which include Fortnite, Warframe, and DayZ.

This update has been discussed for years, but the feature was given a concrete launch window back in September of this year, when Microsoft claimed that Warframe would be playable with a mouse and keyboard in October. The free-to-play first-person shooter will still be among the earliest games to enable this control option.

Now it's only up to sony to get in line. I hate the fact that my ps4 pro hasn't been turned on for like 8 months.

So fucking awesome. Can’t wait to try it out next week on Fortnite.

Hopefully black ops 4 and the rest jump on board very quickly

This would almost be enough for me to turn it on for the first time in over 18 months, shame it's still a Microsoft game platform and thus nothing exclusive to play.

Now it's only up to sony to get in line. I hate the fact that my ps4 pro hasn't been turned on for like 8 months.

No incentive for sony to jump on the bandwagon yet. This is also gonna potentially fuck up the balance of their online shooters and such.

No incentive for sony to jump on the bandwagon yet. This is also gonna potentially fuck up the balance of their online shooters and such.

It wont. In competitive games it’ll match keyboard and mouse players against only kB/m players

Hasn't this happened in the past? It's up to game developers ends up meaning the original titles announced will support it, and then it will totally be forgotten.

Hopefully one day a game like Battlefield or Call of Duty will support KBM on the console. But at that point, I probably wouldn't purchase them on the PC then.

If they enable this in Halo I might start playing again. Used to use a KBM adapter in Halo 2 on orig xbox, was most enjoyable.

You really think the enormous disparity between people using and not using K&M is not going to create uproar in a environment that has nothing but controllers for decades?

This is a non-issue. XBL and most matchmaking systems match up players based on skill. and the only thing that denotes SKILL is wins/losses versus other ranked users. So naturally, if KB/M users are higher ranked, they will be matched against OTHER higher ranked players who have earned that rank, either by being incredible with a controller or just average with KB/M.

I've never understood why people think this is an issue. If the KB/M player would literally just DOMINATE controller users, chances are he will get automatically matched up with other KB/M players based PURELY on his system-generated skill level.

This is a non-issue. XBL and most matchmaking systems match up players based on skill. and the only thing that denotes SKILL is wins/losses versus other ranked users. So naturally, if KB/M users are higher ranked, they will be matched against OTHER higher ranked players who have earned that rank, either by being incredible with a controller or just average with KB/M.

I've never understood why people think this is an issue. If the KB/M player would literally just DOMINATE controller users, chances are he will get automatically matched up with other KB/M players based PURELY on his system-generated skill level.

Having played multiple games on both the PC and Xbox, I think the majority of people vastly underestimate how strong aim assist is in games now. I have stats in multiple CoDs and Battlefield, and I use a XIM on the console, and my kdr is almost always higher on the PC than the console. And that's on a system where most people use a keyboard and mouse, as well as having documented cheaters.

I'm not saying a gamepad is better than a mouse and keyboard, but aim assist levels the playing field a lot. And most people who talk about the XIM have never actually used one. And of course, you'll get the trolls who like to say they've gone 50-0 in games the first time they ever used one. But guess what? I can cherry pick plenty of games on the PC where I have a great kdr too. And every modern game where they have a combination of people with aim assist gamepads as well as keyboard and mouse users, you'll see tons of threads complaining about how strong the aim assist is, making it virtually an aimbot. I'm not saying that's the case, rather, people just don't understand how strong aim assist really is.

I for one remember why they don't allow it now, lol.

Without auto aim, controllers aren't competitive with kb/m.

We've had lan parties where people used controllers; "Why can't I hit anything?" me:"auto aim is off on the server"

Turning on auto aim didn't help, in his case, lol.

people just don't understand how strong aim assist really is.
Strange. With the many hours ihave with this aim assist on consoles... i always hated it and strongely concluded for a long time that it actually is more a hindrence then a help. The only time it helps is that short window between saying "oh wow that looks cool i have to buy one of these game machiens" and "shit i keep looking at the sky and then the ground". After that... it screws me over more then it helps.

Don't beleive me? Turn in off in simgle player and see how nice it is when its gone!

I'm the only guy I know that is completely banned from using the Railgun in Q3 and Q3:TA.

I had a player revolt back in 2004 or so, and when we play everyone Still brings it up. :facepalm:

I popped in in a spot you can't leave without dying, and was popping people jumping up to an upper level, which was all I could see, really.

It was fish in a barrel easy.

Q2's algorithm is different, as is all the other games we play, but Q3 makes everyone bitch. :)

Someone was complaining about my use of "Jihad Jeeps" in BF2142, and someone I didn't recognize popped in with "At least there's no Railgun in this game!!" which blew me away. (And still makes me lol, apparently :) )

(I use the same handle in every game I play online, Grogborg.)

I miss the days when we would pop into some random server, and wore everyone out until they Banned us for "Cheating".

We Never loaded a cheat (we were all in the same room, and never played as a team, so someone would have caught the cheater), and we saw that as a sign of a pure victory. :)

We don't play enough to be that good anymore, but it was a lot of fun; remember, you only get better by playing someone better than you. :)

You obviously haven't used said systems much if you are saying that and with lower player counts it gets even worse. Having played plenty of competition I can tell you it will not work out that way. Sounds nice on paper, but plays out like a bad nightmare you never wake up from.

IMO - With the XB1 being, essentially, an HTPC running Win10 *Media Center Edition*, this should have been supported since day one.

Sony already has keyboard & mouse support on the PS4, but as usual no developers are implementing it. So I don't know why anyone here is getting excited. The PS3 had keyboard & mouse support out of the gate and the only game to use it was Unreal Tournament 3.

Sony already has keyboard & mouse support on the PS4, but as usual no developers are implementing it. So I don't know why anyone here is getting excited. The PS3 had keyboard & mouse support out of the gate and the only game to use it was Unreal Tournament 3.
Yes, they support kb as a typing device, but nothing more. Developers would have to create their own drivers for mouse / kb, to be able to use either as a control device, it was the same on ps3, even on the ps2. That is not good enough. Sony must include a ready to use api to take advantage of.

Hasn't this happened in the past? It's up to game developers ends up meaning the original titles announced will support it, and then it will totally be forgotten.

Hopefully one day a game like Battlefield or Call of Duty will support KBM on the console. But at that point, I probably wouldn't purchase them on the PC then.

Why would you switch to console for FPS games simply due to keyboard and mouse functionality? I don’t see the benefit. At least with a PC, you won’t be locked at 30 FPS.

Excellent. The horizons for console players expand. Soon, if you work hard, you'll be able to circle-strafe while typing, "i R teh 133tz0r, u R fagb00ney! HuHUHU1 Yer mom 53X".

P.S. "Need herlp!"

Having played multiple games on both the PC and Xbox, I think the majority of people vastly underestimate how strong aim assist is in games now. I have stats in multiple CoDs and Battlefield, and I use a XIM on the console, and my kdr is almost always higher on the PC than the console. And that's on a system where most people use a keyboard and mouse, as well as having documented cheaters.

I'm not saying a gamepad is better than a mouse and keyboard, but aim assist levels the playing field a lot. And most people who talk about the XIM have never actually used one. And of course, you'll get the trolls who like to say they've gone 50-0 in games the first time they ever used one. But guess what? I can cherry pick plenty of games on the PC where I have a great kdr too. And every modern game where they have a combination of people with aim assist gamepads as well as keyboard and mouse users, you'll see tons of threads complaining about how strong the aim assist is, making it virtually an aimbot. I'm not saying that's the case, rather, people just don't understand how strong aim assist really is.

I've done the same. I've had a XIM2 and XIM3 for Xbox 360/PS3 and played MW2, BO1 BO2, Ghosts, etc. My KDR is always higher on the console. At least three times as high. The playerbase on console is much more diverse than PC. Console has tooooons of casuals, kids and people who don't play flick stick on console. The only thing I can think of as a reason why your kdr is higher on PC is if you are a low sensitivity mouse user who uses large sweeps to move their aim. That sort of play won't translate well on a XIM. There is a max look turn speed that you can't overcome with a XIM and you have to train to not go past it. Medium range sensitivities will be best on XIM with a controlled hand speed.

Here's my proof of XIM play. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeelzebub

Why would you switch to console for FPS games simply due to keyboard and mouse functionality? I don’t see the benefit. At least with a PC, you won’t be locked at 30 FPS.
Because the ridiculous number of cheaters on the PC version of FPS games like COD end up killing off the playerbase in short order. If I could use KB+Mouse in games like COD I'd probably snag an XB1 as well.

Now more cross platform and they can win. I'll never use kbm on the xonex, it's for a paddle or wheel from the comfort of my couch, but it's a huge feature to lessen the gap between console and PC. Getting more devs to allow cross plat, and allowing us to make one purchase for multiple devices like they have with MS Studio games would be the game changer.

I've done the same. I've had a XIM2 and XIM3 for Xbox 360/PS3 and played MW2, BO1 BO2, Ghosts, etc. My KDR is always higher on the console. At least three times as high. The playerbase on console is much more diverse than PC. Console has tooooons of casuals, kids and people who don't play flick stick on console. The only thing I can think of as a reason why your kdr is higher on PC is if you are a low sensitivity mouse user who uses large sweeps to move their aim. That sort of play won't translate well on a XIM. There is a max look turn speed that you can't overcome with a XIM and you have to train to not go past it. Medium range sensitivities will be best on XIM with a controlled hand speed.

Here's my proof of XIM play. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeelzebub
I used to be pretty good with a paddle, back to the 360 days of black ops when I hit a 50-0 run on Nuketown during my second venture at college (I was still old, but had a bit of the twitch left). BUT, native support is probably better for those that want to use a kbm and is a good thing for both console and PC. XIM gapped it a little, and I never used those devices, but the more we can lessen the development gap between console games and PC is a positive - native kbm support is a big step, and I understand the resistance as accessories make a large portion of console payday.

Much of the resistance for the AAA games coming to PC native is the amount of hardware and controlling options we have - "the freedom". QA is much much more difficult then a closed ecosystem. Forcing devs to take into consideration kbm on a console bridges one of the gaps between the two. We just need to hope that console gamers aren't like me and shrug that off and instead embrace it!

Because the ridiculous number of cheaters on the PC version of FPS games like COD end up killing off the playerbase in short order. If I could use KB+Mouse in games like COD I'd probably snag an XB1 as well.

Fair enough, I didn’t consider that.

Back