Xbox One controller PC drivers now availible

HisSvt76

2[H]4U
http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/p...-one-controller-available-now/?linkId=8424381

Love this Halo 2 tease!
14348721514_c45bbd6650.jpg

Last edited:
So does this mean it is wired only for now?

The wireless one may require a receiver like the 360 controller. Does the Xbox one controller connect differently? PS3/PS4 controllers can be easily connected via bluetooth

The wireless one may require a receiver like the 360 controller. Does the Xbox one controller connect differently? PS3/PS4 controllers can be easily connected via bluetooth

Answered this in post number 3

Other than having a personal preference for the feel of the controller, does it offer any advantages over the 360 controller?

Other than having a personal preference for the feel of the controller, does it offer any advantages over the 360 controller?

Its essentially the same layout, the rumble triggers is the big difference. I don't know what PC games would support it. Its possible AC4 and Watch Dogs might haven't played those yet on the PC with the controller to verify.

I think overall I like the xbox one controller better. The analog sticks feel better the xyab buttons are slightly closer together. It was an adjustment thought, I didn't pickup the xbox one controller and instantly like it.

Can't get to the article from work, but is the controller recognized as an Xinput device or a regular old USB HID device like the DS4?

Xinput, of course.

I'll stick with the 360 controller. The One controller makes my hands cramp up in short order :mad:. But my hands are larger than average.

There are some details about the differences you really can't see in a picture like that. For one, the angle of the ergonomic grips is steeper. This causes your wrists to bend at an acute angle and puts more stress on the tendons. Secondly, the distance between the bottom of the grips to the position of the stick and buttons is shorter, while the height of the controller is taller. Another effect of this positioning is it makes the distance to the triggers longer. Lastly, it isn't as thick. With everything combined, the result is that proper use of the triggers for me requires a death grip, and the angle of the grips makes my thumbs extend straight out while my wrists sit at an unrelaxed position. The result is cramping and irritatiion of the muscles an tendons in my hands.

It's amazing that such small differences makes such a big difference in one's comfort.

There are some details about the differences you really can't see in a picture like that. For one, the angle of the ergonomic grips is steeper. This causes your wrists to bend at an acute angle and puts more stress on the tendons. Secondly, the distance between the bottom of the grips to the position of the stick and buttons is shorter, while the height of the controller is taller. Another effect of this positioning is it makes the distance to the triggers longer. Lastly, it isn't as thick. With everything combined, the result is that proper use of the triggers for me requires a death grip, and the angle of the grips makes my thumbs extend straight out while my wrists sit at an unrelaxed position. The result is cramping and irritatiion of the muscles an tendons in my hands.

It's amazing that such small differences makes such a big difference in one's comfort.

Fair enough although I can palm a basketball off the dribble and mine don't cramp kind of why I wondered.

Based on these comments, I guess I'll hang on to my Xbox 360 controller a while longer.

Hmm... interesting timing... since my wireless receiver that allowed me to use my 360 controllers on PC died last week. Apparently they don't even sell that dongle anymore since they all failed the same way (fuse). Was thinking I would have to buy the specific windows version of the controller, which is a pain since I have a stack of 360 controllers...

Hmm... interesting timing... since my wireless receiver that allowed me to use my 360 controllers on PC died last week. Apparently they don't even sell that dongle anymore since they all failed the same way (fuse). Was thinking I would have to buy the specific windows version of the controller, which is a pain since I have a stack of 360 controllers...

You can buy cheap chinese knock offs on amazon or ebay for like $8. I got two of them and they work just fine.

In playing around with the Xbox One controller in games like Killer Instinct, I think the analogs are cleaner for movement and quick motions...but I don't think I'm able to aim as well, although I'm not great at analog aiming to begin with.

I already have 360 wireless controllers on my pc - looking forward to seeing if these are worth the upgrade when the official XBone wireless pc versions are out.

I already have 360 wireless controllers on my pc - looking forward to seeing if these are worth the upgrade when the official XBone wireless pc versions are out.

I've got both, I'm not quite sold on the XBone controllers yet. The buttons and sticks have good feel, maybe slightly improved but the shape is slightly off. Could well be that I'm just so used to the old version, but it the new one feels slightly small.

Also, if you get an XBone, get ready for controller rage... moron's decided to replace the 'start' button with one that opens a quick help flyout bar... so now the actual 'accept and proceed' button is anyone's guess. Normally it's the 'A' button, but in some games like NBA 2k14, it varies from screen to screen. I'm sure a year or two into the cycle they will figure this out, but that was a bad button to remove. Should have removed select instead if they really wanted to have a quick help button.

I've got both, I'm not quite sold on the XBone controllers yet. The buttons and sticks have good feel, maybe slightly improved but the shape is slightly off. Could well be that I'm just so used to the old version, but it the new one feels slightly small.

Also, if you get an XBone, get ready for controller rage... moron's decided to replace the 'start' button with one that opens a quick help flyout bar... so now the actual 'accept and proceed' button is anyone's guess. Normally it's the 'A' button, but in some games like NBA 2k14, it varies from screen to screen. I'm sure a year or two into the cycle they will figure this out, but that was a bad button to remove. Should have removed select instead if they really wanted to have a quick help button.

I was the same way, I was so used to the xbox 360 controller that it wasn't smooth adjusting to the xbox one controller. I had no issues with the buttons and the analog sticks. But getting used to the triggers and shoulder buttons took a while. It took some to get adjust to not having "back" and "start" buttons. But now i have no problem using it.

I had no problems with button placement on the One, but getting used to the positioning of the Options button on the Dualshock 4 was a frustrating experience.

You can buy cheap chinese knock offs on amazon or ebay for like $8. I got two of them and they work just fine.

You can also fix it yourself with a little soldering know-how. Its not like a device like that really needs a fuse. You can just solder in a small wire to bypass it. I doubt this thing would cause a fire. I've also seen guides that state the same thing.

I'm confused as to why games that already support the 360 controller don't automatically support the Xbox One controller as well. Isn't the button layout exactly the same.

I'm confused as to why games that already support the 360 controller don't automatically support the Xbox One controller as well. Isn't the button layout exactly the same.

They do, the problem was there hasn't any "official" drivers to get the hardware to work until now.

I am glad to see this progression. However, I am most interested to see about how Wireless mode will work; will it be Bluetooth compatible, a receiver of some kind etc...? I've gotten a lot of great mileage out of the X360 Wireless (Silver Edition, dual DPAD) controller and the official dongle, when it comes to PC games that support XInput. Even on Linux it isn't difficult to get it working well!

I have been considering stepping up to an XOne controller or PS4 controller (or perhaps even Wii U controllers, I've heard good things about) for use with my PC, but to me it will come down to driver support and viability. For instance, the PS4 Controller seems to be excellent and uses Bluetooth when wireless, but you have a variety of drivers to select from each with their own tradeoff, just as it was with PS3 before. This should be a major hint for Sony to 1-up Microsoft and offer not only drivers, but an open cross platform SDK for both USB and Bluetooth support of the PS4 controller in Xinput mode or otherwise.

I am glad to see this progression. However, I am most interested to see about how Wireless mode will work; will it be Bluetooth compatible, a receiver of some kind etc...? I've gotten a lot of great mileage out of the X360 Wireless (Silver Edition, dual DPAD) controller and the official dongle, when it comes to PC games that support XInput. Even on Linux it isn't difficult to get it working well!

I have been considering stepping up to an XOne controller or PS4 controller (or perhaps even Wii U controllers, I've heard good things about) for use with my PC, but to me it will come down to driver support and viability. For instance, the PS4 Controller seems to be excellent and uses Bluetooth when wireless, but you have a variety of drivers to select from each with their own tradeoff, just as it was with PS3 before. This should be a major hint for Sony to 1-up Microsoft and offer not only drivers, but an open cross platform SDK for both USB and Bluetooth support of the PS4 controller in Xinput mode or otherwise.

Its gonna be a dongle of some kind. The xbox one controller doesn't use bluetooth for its wireless connection, it uses Wi-fi direct. Hopefully they release one soon.

Does anyone know if the KI arcade stick works on PC as well now? I'm just about to try it out.

Its gonna be a dongle of some kind. The xbox one controller doesn't use bluetooth for its wireless connection, it uses Wi-fi direct. Hopefully they release one soon.

And hopefully it is the size of a logitech receiver.

So does it work with EVERY 360 controller compatible games???

Edit: Yes.

Yeah the Xbox One controller's design is clearly inferior to the 360's. I hate the damn thing and I love the 360 controller.

The KI stick does not work properly in street fighter on PC. Doesn't recognize a few buttons. Le sigh :(

Back