Xbox One Controller Not Connecting After Using In Rift

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I've had this problem for a while and I finally tracked down the source of the problem. I have the Rift that included the Xbox One controller and wireless adaptor. What I have found is that if I use the controller in a Rift game, after the controller hibernates, it will not re-connect to the wireless adaptor.

The white light on the wireless adapter will blink and the Xbox controller will go from flashing, to bright, to dim, and then turn off. In the past I have had to reset the computer and then it works fine.

But I have now discovered it is the Rift software that is causing this. All I have to do is restart the Rift home software and then turn on the controller again and it connects and works just fine. Wired Xbox controllers are not affected by this bug. It has done this since I got the Rift last year (many software updates) and I thought it was a faulty wireless adapter this entire time.

It seems like what is happening is that the Rift software is locking the wireless adapter out from Windows. Because once the controller goes into hibernate and the Rift software is still running, the wireless adapter does not show up in Device Manager. You can see Device Manager refresh when you unplug/plug the adapter in, but it doesn't actually show up. Restart the Rift software and everything is back to good and the adapter shows up in Device Manager.

Just food for thought, in case any of you run into this problem.

Mine was so tricky to make a connection and then would randomly disconnect making it near impossible to use that I bought a cable for it.
Fixed.

Good info to have.

On the same subject, I can't seem to use the newer Bluetooth Xbox One controllers at all with the Rift. As soon as I pair the controller to my computer and I'm wearing the HMD, everything begins to go bonkers with Oculus Home. Slow to non-existent head tracking, render issues, etc... Once I disconnect the controller everything goes back to normal.

Any combination of pairing first, then starting up the software, or starting up the software and pairing after does not seem to fix this.

Anyone else experience these issues?

I have no such issues using the smaller connector they released earlier this year. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/adapters/wireless-adapter-windows
I have one of those too. Oddly, it seems to be a lot more finnicky than the old skool big fat one for me.

I have the same problem westrock2000 has, but it seems to be limited to Elite Dangerous. If the controller goes to sleep, it will reconnect briefly if I turn it back on, and then immediately turn off. If I quit the game, the controller will play nice again, and I can restart the game and everything works.

I guess now that I think about it, I can't remember testing this with a different Rift game; ED is the only game I actually play regularly, and the way it's played is such that you sometimes go several minutes without needing the controller.

As Nenu says, the most reliable solution seems to be to just plug the charge cable in so it doesn't turn off.

My guess is the rift has some stupid USB power saving settings that screw with this. Try downloading the oculus tray tool and disabling every USB power save feature. I use to have this exact issue as you OP and I can't remember how I fixed it but Im pretty sure it involved turning off anything power saving relating to USB both in the device manager and tray tool.

I too have this issue and I've already disabled the USB power saving features. Its infuriating.

My guess is the rift has some stupid USB power saving settings that screw with this. Try downloading the oculus tray tool and disabling every USB power save feature. I use to have this exact issue as you OP and I can't remember how I fixed it but Im pretty sure it involved turning off anything power saving relating to USB both in the device manager and tray tool.
It does the same for me without using Rift.

Some of the problems can be USB related when using the Rift. An extra USB controller solves this.

Some of the problems can be USB related when using the Rift. An extra USB controller solves this.

My Rift is using a dedicated USB board, one of the expensive ones with 4 controllers on it. This allows me to put all my Rift stuff (1 HMD and 3 cameras) off the motherboard. This was something I had thought of early on. Considering I did get frequent drop out of random tracking sensors. The USB board definitely fixed the Rift hardware part (not the Xbox issue though). I would recommend one of these boards (or similar).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had this problem for a while and I finally tracked down the source of the problem. I have the Rift that included the Xbox One controller and wireless adaptor. What I have found is that if I use the controller in a Rift game, after the controller hibernates, it will not re-connect to the wireless adaptor.

The white light on the wireless adapter will blink and the Xbox controller will go from flashing, to bright, to dim, and then turn off. In the past I have had to reset the computer and then it works fine.

But I have now discovered it is the Rift software that is causing this. All I have to do is restart the Rift home software and then turn on the controller again and it connects and works just fine. Wired Xbox controllers are not affected by this bug. It has done this since I got the Rift last year (many software updates) and I thought it was a faulty wireless adapter this entire time.

It seems like what is happening is that the Rift software is locking the wireless adapter out from Windows. Because once the controller goes into hibernate and the Rift software is still running, the wireless adapter does not show up in Device Manager. You can see Device Manager refresh when you unplug/plug the adapter in, but it doesn't actually show up. Restart the Rift software and everything is back to good and the adapter shows up in Device Manager.

Just food for thought, in case any of you run into this problem.

Most USB ports have over-current protection via Poly Fuse. It's designed to protect the host controller circuits from being damaged from the over-current. The fuse will blow and the port is dead.

Fear not, give it a week and the poly fuse will reset again to near it's original operating levels. (Low power requirements might work now however) HOWEVER it will trip easier in the future. That's the disadvantage of poly fuses.

XBox Controllers consume about .6 amps @ 5V. so about 3 Watts. IIRC

Back