Xbox One Controller Causing Slowdown

Epos7

Gawd
I built a computer for a friend a few years ago. He wasn't using it for gaming, but now wants to play Destiny 2 on PC, so we added a RTX 2080:

ASUS H170-PLUS D3 LGA 1151
Core i7 6700
16GB RAM
750 watt PSU

He's playing with an Xbox One Elite wireless controller plugged into a USB port.

He's able to play for 5-10 minutes with no issues, then the frame rate gradually drops until the game is unplayable. A restart fixes it. At first I thought there was some thermal throttling going on, so we looked at power profiles and thermal performance, but didn't see any issues. Then I found this thread, which mirrors his experience exactly:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/496880203070504795/?ctp=3

It seems the Xbox One controller is responsible for the issue. We were able to confirm that when he switches to mouse and keyboard, the issue goes away. When I built the computer we ran into some weird issues with USB flash drives causing lockups, which now seems to be related.

He's updated all of the drivers for his motherboard but no luck so far. The OP in the thread linked above was able to solve his issue with a fresh install of Windows. I'm a little unclear about how that might solve the problem when updating the drivers wouldn't, but it's on the list of things to try. Part of the issue could be that I'm installing Windows from a USB drive.

I'm going to try flashing his BIOS with a newer version next. Has anyone run into similar issues? This is a new one for me.

i've run into usb issues after a windows install with flash drives and shit where reinstalling windows fixes it.. why? i have absolutely no clue but it did.. you could always try testing it with another hard drive if you have a free one laying around, install windows on it real quick and see if you have the same USB problems. if it still has the same problems then you saved yourself the trouble of reinstalling everything for nothing, if it fixes the problem then you know you can fall back to just reinstalling windows if nothing else fixes it. highly doubt installing windows over USB is the cause.

He has a new hard drive on the way so that would be easy to try when we install it.

For now, he uninstalled all the Asus software and seems to be having better luck. I'm guessing that removed the Asus driver and rolled back to the Windows driver.

If he's having USB issues try moving the controller to a USB port which is native to the chipset instead of a USB port which relies on a controller. I've had issues with USB related to this type of thing before, and the chipset ports always have less issues.

I think he's tried that but I'll double check.

Uninstalling all the Asus drivers seems to have offered some improvement, but I think there's still an issue. He's getting lower fps at 1440p than I am at 4K. We have the same graphics card and the rest of our systems are very similar.

Back