Xbox One Controller Battery Packs Recalled Due to Burning Risk

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I had actually considered getting this to keep my Elite Controller charged, but luckily, I never pulled the trigger. There are around 121,000 Energizer Xbox One 2x Smart Chargers in the wild, but all of them have to be recalled due to an overheating issue that is serious enough to burn users’ hands. I never did understand why Microsoft never released a first-party charging stand.

Energizer and accessory manufacturer PDP are recalling a gaming peripheral due to a potential burning hazard. The company is asking consumers to stop using the Energizer Xbox One 2x Smart Charger, which is a holster-and-battery-pack combo for Microsoft’s gamepads. The issue with the device is that it would overheat, and then when owners would go to pick it up, it could cause painful burns. Now, PDP is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to get the charger off the market and out of people’s homes.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, this sucks. I love this thing and it fits the Pro controller perfectly. I've been using it for a year with no issue but with a 2 year old in the house I'm not going to take the risk.

I've just been sticking to Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries for the last 4-5 years. You can get a 4-pack and a charger for $25 and they work with all sorts of devices. They last longer than the charge packs.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-...rd_wg=5PYAj&psc=1&refRID=93M0HSRVP628YRXEQ3G5

Ya, I don't understand these speciality rechargeable batteries market. I just bought an Energizer recharger with 4 AA batteries for like $20 bucks or something. Works in my controllers, tv remote, glowsticks, LED lantern, etc.

I've just been sticking to Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries for the last 4-5 years. You can get a 4-pack and a charger for $25 and they work with all sorts of devices. They last longer than the charge packs.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-...rd_wg=5PYAj&psc=1&refRID=93M0HSRVP628YRXEQ3G5
I just got an Eneloop competitors solution for my wireless camera system (odd battery size) and have questioned why I hadn't done this for all batteries long ago. They are lasting longer than disposable and charge in a few hours.

It's a good idea to keep a few AA and AAA batteries around in case you are lazy and don't charge them, but rechargeable is the way to go.

It wasn't that long ago (maybe like 7-8 years) where rechargable batteries either sucked or people at least thought they did. Those days are long over. I keep a set of 4 ready to rock at all times and I just swap them out as they start dying.
In my Xbox One controller they tend to last weeks with pretty decent usage. Even in my G700S mouse they last at least 3-4 days with moderate to heavy use.

It wasn't that long ago (maybe like 7-8 years) where rechargable batteries either sucked or people at least thought they did. Those days are long over. I keep a set of 4 ready to rock at all times and I just swap them out as they start dying.
In my Xbox One controller they tend to last weeks with pretty decent usage. Even in my G700S mouse they last at least 3-4 days with moderate to heavy use.

Probably just tought they did, cause 7-8 years ago is about when I started using them. I had those stupid Nynko or whatever branded rechargeable 360 batteries. They didn't last a year. I went rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. I used the original set for years and end up losing them before they stopped holding a charge.

Back