Xbox One blocks used games - goodbye MS!

I was a bit of a 360 fanboy for some years due to the fact it had the edge on multiplatforms. Then avatars crept in, and it seemed to spiral so I got back into PC gaming and just a PS3 for it's original and different IPs.

I was hoping I could enjoy the Xbox again, but not like this. I am so unimpressed with this system it's unreal. It doesn't even have the redeeming edge of being the most powerful of the two.

^^^ This! I loved the 360 at first (other than RROD issues and such... for example I'm on my 5th 360) but after the NXE update it just dive bombed into garbage. While the Kinect and the next generation of it is interesting tech I also feel like it's a bit invasive. I don't want that shit when I want to play a game and I don't want a console to be a fucking Tivo.

Anyone else thinks it'll take no time for hackers to exploit the SHIT out of Xbox One?

I'm very much against piracy , but even I am tempted to join the dark side against such greedy tactics, I bought a hard copy of the game and I have the right to fucking sell it to whoever I want. If the publisher cries about overall sales by not getting a cut from used games, then it's up to the developers to be creative enough giving us something that's worth keeping.

Anyone else thinks it'll take no time for hackers to exploit the SHIT out of Xbox One?

I'm very much against piracy , but even I am tempted to join the dark side against such greedy tactics, I bought a hard copy of the game and I have the right to fucking sell it to whoever I want. If the publisher cries about overall sales by not getting a cut from used games, then it's up to the developers to be creative enough giving us something that's worth keeping.

As I mentioned in another thread, something tells me that the Xbox One may be the first console to be hacked within the first year or two after its release.

Why?

Well, if going by the AnandTech article, the Xbox One is using a modified version of Hyper-V to run two guest operating systems-- Xbox OS and Windows 8 (modified). Xbox OS runs the games and Windows 8 runs the apps.

How long would it take for someone to extract the guest OS image of Xbox OS and attempt to run it under something like Hyper-V in Server 2012 with RemoteFX enabled?

(Windows 8's Hyper-V DOES NOT have RemoteFX added.)

The exclusives will need to be the best games ever made for me to consider buying an Xbox One. There are just far too many deterrents to purchasing it. I'm really perplexed that anybody in Microsoft thought this was going to go down well, especially when not one interesting feature was shown at the reveal.

Wow, talk about a quick 180, now if we can just get them to do the same thing with their stance on Windows 8 and the traditional desktop....

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/43...uire-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

New info here on the policies regarding used games. Sounds like they are panicking after the disastrous reception.

The thing is-- another Microsoft representative stated something differently, and one employee stated on their twitter account that if it's installed, it gets deactivated if another person has it.

Microsoft needs to get their story straightened out or educate its employees about this before they start opening their mouths to the public.

I'm counting now three different viewpoints regarding used game sales from Microsoft, and they vary slightly each time.

Microsoft needs to get their story straightened out or educate its employees about this before they start opening their mouths to the public.

I'm counting now three different viewpoints regarding used game sales from Microsoft, and they vary slightly each time.

What is clear is that the games have Server based DRM and any movement of the game has to be approved by Microsoft. Beyond that it is just minutia of terms and Microsoft Spin.

Gone are the days when you could just borrow/swap/share games with friends.

I am not sure why anyone will agree to this kind of crap, but no doubt millions will.

What is clear is that the games have Server based DRM and any movement of the game has to be approved by Microsoft. Beyond that it is just minutia of terms and Microsoft Spin.

Gone are the days when you could just borrow/swap/share games with friends.

I am not sure why anyone will agree to this kind of crap, but no doubt millions will.

Not that it wouldn't suck but hell its been like this on PC for a long time. I can't share my steam library.

Not that it wouldn't suck but hell its been like this on PC for a long time. I can't share my steam library.

It was never really easy to share PC disc's anyway in the past. It's a different thing all together. One of the major benefits of the console was the ability to use your discs wherever you wanted, loan, give, trade, sell, etc. Potentially gone or severely handicapped now is a pretty shitty deal. :(

It was never really easy to share PC disc's anyway in the past. It's a different thing all together. One of the major benefits of the console was the ability to use your discs wherever you wanted, loan, give, trade, sell, etc. Potentially gone or severely handicapped now is a pretty shitty deal. :(

I always thought the biggest part of console gaming was the ease of use, no driver updates. Can my card run it? What settings do I need to set? Shit like that. I haven't lent or borrowed a game in years don't do it people don't take care of shit.

I really think people need to chill let them finish at E3.

They got the boring but necessary part out of the way they showed the hardware and interface now E3 they just show games the price the date of release.

For all we know everything thing Sony showed was PC game footage from Dev kits. They still have to show hardware and games.

I have given up reading info that isn't direct from Sony or Microsoft till E3 is over. These game news sites are like fucking TMZ or some other tabloid shit.

I have given up reading info that isn't direct from Sony or Microsoft till E3 is over. These game news sites are like fucking TMZ or some other tabloid shit.

That and these Microsoft representatives responding to those same news sites are not exactly on the same page. Microsoft needs to shut them up and tell everyone to calm the fuck down.

That and these Microsoft representatives responding to those same news sites are not exactly on the same page. Microsoft needs to shut them up and tell everyone to calm the fuck down.

I think things are being miss reported big time. If it isn't in the Microsoft Xbox one FAQ page or on major nelsons blog it isn't official. Xbox ambassadors were notified today (got an email) with direct places for factual information. The ambassador's were and are getting some insane questions.

MS has a PR dept, they are probably paid quite well too. How hard can it be to decide on a single answer, even if its 'we can't tell you now'. This has become a mess.

MS has a PR dept, they are probably paid quite well too. How hard can it be to decide on a single answer, even if its 'we can't tell you now'. This has become a mess.

Most of the miss information was made up or speculation and flat out miss reporting. This http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa has been up since right after the conference. If people know how to read and not take liberties just read its pretty simple we will know evening else real soon.

This whole thing proves that a person is smart but people are stupid.

The PR department had been doing that but a VP and their Twitter support kept running their mouths.

The PR department had been doing that but a VP and their Twitter support kept running their mouths.

Except that VP, Phil Spencer, is the guy Microsoft sent out on stage at the reveal to talk about the console. Microsoft, very publicly, made him an official source. If Microsoft didn't properly fill in one of the people in charge of their entire bloody game division that is Microsoft's fault and problem.

Sharing PC games was never as easy as on consoles but it wasn't that hard. I loaned almost all my PC games to friends in the days before Server DRM. I got many hooked on/buying their own copies of old school PC classics such as Baldurs Gate/NWN/Total Annihilation.

When they screwed over PC gamers with Server DRM, they used the excuse of piracy.

But with console games that excuse really doesn't fly. They are clearly taking aim at Sharing/swapping/used games. Things they have no business going after IMO.

EA has been moaning about used games for years, and now they get their wish. Both EA and MS can go DIAF for screwing customers like this. No more bogus excuses of we don't really want to do this, but we have to because of the piracy.

Server DRM on Console games, is a no excuses attack on the legitimate paying customer.

I really think people need to chill let them finish at E3.

I don't want to chill. I want Microsoft to get their shit together.

After the live event on Tuesday, the media spent time one-on-one with different Microsoft people and got different responses to questions depending on who they talked to. This should have NEVER happened. So now MS needs to clean this up and put a lid on the negative shit-storm that's building online.

Even if all this mess is a result of bad reporting, perception is reality.

I like Microsoft. I support and like Windows 8. I want them to get this right.

I don't want to chill. I want Microsoft to get their shit together.

After the live event on Tuesday, the media spent time one-on-one with different Microsoft people and got different responses to questions depending on who they talked to. This should have NEVER happened. So now MS needs to clean this up and put a lid on the negative shit-storm that's building online.

Even if all this mess is a result of bad reporting, perception is reality.

I like Microsoft. I support and like Windows 8. I want them to get this right.

That right there is the problem.

Us, the consumers, the gamers, have been getting different responses. These aren't from just Microsoft representatives, we are getting varying responses from Major Nelson and even the VP.

The one thing they have not confirmed fully is this: If a friend or family member is signed into their own account on their own Xbox One system, will he/she have to pay a fee to play a game I let them borrow?

In another statement, one Microsoft representative stated that the game would deactivate itself on my own system while it's active in another's if someone borrowed my game.

And, the idea that this is one game per Xbox Live account per person is actually stupid. It severely limits who has access to the game. This would mean that player would have to keep their account signed-in on the console to allow others in the household play it, and to allow the periodic daily checks to see if the game isn't a copy.

I'm more of an xbox fan than a PS3 -- but with all this mess, I might be giving the PS4 some looks later this year.

Either case I'm still a PC gamer -- I haven't REALLY played my xbox360 in over 6 months.

Bottom line for me -- if I pay 60 dollars for a title - I demand to use it wherever/whenever I want without having to phone home. If I want to loan a title to a friend for a few weeks, that's my license to lend - just because microsoft wants a bigger cut of the pie... they might wind up losing most of it if they get TOO greedy.

If they are dead set on going to this more restrictive system -- a full on AAA title better cost no more than $29.99 then. Smaller budget titles for 15.99. Why should the consumer pay the usual price and get a much more locked down title?

I love their Forza and Need for Speed series... consoles have to remember their roots. Their fun was being able to pick it up and go, not having to screw with profiles, log-ins, etc etc. .Look at what DRM has done for the PC community.

I foresee the XboxOne getting supremely hacked right off the bat (and I say good for the hackers) Companies refuse to give us what we want... so we make it happen ourselves.

Good ole parrot sketch from Monty Python. Classic.

Some much confusing being reported right now. I think it would be best just to "tune" out until E3 and ACTUAL confirmation in the form of stating it in front of a live audience is probably the only worth while information that could stand on its own.

What a fucking messy reveal this has been.

The only reason someone doesn't give a clear answer is when it's not going to be popular or liked. MS has been dancing like headless chickens trying to do damage control when they realize their reveals aren't very popular.

It's like they are doing everything possible to alienate the gamer audience that made the 360 a success.

I am Sure MS has retreated with some focus groups to work on spin for this and maybe an oxymoronic name for it like they had for their music DRM, "PlaysForSure".

Scenario 1. You buy a game for $60, play it, beat it and want to get rid of it. You go to gamestop, you sell it to them for $30. This would require you to untie the game from your account. They turn around and resell the game for $40.

You meant to say was...

Scenario 1. You buy a game for $60, play it, beat it and want to get rid of it. You go to gamestop, you sell it to them for $5. This would require you to untie the game from your account. They turn around and resell the game for $40.

You meant to say was...

Scenario 1. You buy a game for $60, play it, beat it and want to get rid of it. You go to gamestop, you sell it to them for $5. This would require you to untie the game from your account. They turn around and resell the game for $40.

This.

What about hiring games? I like to hire a game, much like an old school demo. Play it for the weekend. If I liked it, ill go and buy it. The game is then already installed and my save is already there.

Guess ill be giving the Xbone a miss

You meant to say was...

No one forces you to sell to gamestop today. Buy and sell games on kijiji or to friends/coworkers. You get more on the sale and pay less to buy by cutting out the middleman.

The information about XB1 says they may FORCE you to use a middleman, except instead of one middleman you will have three. Gamestop gets a cut, Microsoft gets a cut, EA (or other publisher) gets a cut. This means you get even less for used games when selling and pay even more than you do today. Effectively killing used games.

Rumors that PS4 will have drm too !! And #Ps4NoDrm is getting popular on twitter. I sincerely hope Sony doesn't follow MS.

Rumors that PS4 will have drm too !! And #Ps4NoDrm is getting popular on twitter. I sincerely hope Sony doesn't follow MS.

http://kotaku.com/sony-wont-answer-these-questions-about-ps4-drm-and-use-510477281

Yep, Sony never REALLY straight up answered the question of used games.
I think they both (MS and Sony) know the impact of used games and are holding back on the truth as a sort of poker game bluff.

In the end they WILL BOTH have the exact same policy. That is competition at work. Just remains to be seen which they care about more, screwing their customers or serving their customers. I think they are both bluffing.

http://kotaku.com/sony-wont-answer-these-questions-about-ps4-drm-and-use-510477281

Yep, Sony never REALLY straight up answered the question of used games.
I think they both (MS and Sony) know the impact of used games and are holding back on the truth as a sort of poker game bluff.

In the end they WILL BOTH have the exact same policy. That is competition at work. Just remains to be seen which they care about more, screwing their customers or serving their customers. I think they are both bluffing.

I've said it on a couple of these different Xbox One threads, but I am not going to be surprised if Sony and Microsoft have nearly identical policies. The funny thing is the link you posted has the same sort of canned response Microsoft has been giving:

I looked into this, and at this point we’re not providing any additional clarification beyond what we stated around the PS4 announcement. If anything changes, I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Unfortunately for Microsoft they've "tried" to answer their questions with half-answers, or answers that haven't matched what other people, AT MICROSOFT, have said. It's ridiculous.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/xbox-one-used-games-always-online/

Microsoft seem to have back pedaled and passed the buck onto the publishers. They won't take a cut, but they ability is there and it will be up to the publisher.

"Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won't be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Back