Xbox One Automatically Adjusts To Prevent Overheating

If it throttles like my AMD 6800K then its going to spend a lot of time not at max speed when gaming. Saying it can it 4.4GHz but only for a second or so doesn't mean its actually that fast of a chip.

Microsoft can suck it. I'll believe it when I see it. I just had to purchase my 4th xbox 360 last week. That's terrible hardware quality. And to top it all off - it's a slim model - supposedly free of heat issues. But it's not! It overheats and crashes! It's done it 3 times in one week of ownership (and yes it's out in the open and fully ventilated). It's not RROD, but it shouldn't overheat period, ever, not even slow down. You'd think with the size of that xbone box, and the fact the power brick is external, this would be a non issue....

They suck at making hardware...

uh what? Why would you continue to buy a product repeatedly if it breaks?

I'd bet safety throttling will be in place on the PS4 as well. Not like AMD is going to engineer 10 year old functionality out of their chips.

Are you resting them on space heaters? or inside of your oven?

All four were/are out in the wide open - not even in a cabinet. Not filled with dust, not obstructed in any way. Just sitting out in the open.

1st - release console - went for quite a while - RROD
2nd - replacement arcade version - 6 months later RROD
3rd - replacement arcade version - went a while - DVD drive failure
4th - slim picked up last week. Gets really quite hot, inevitable crashes.

uh what? Why would you continue to buy a product repeatedly if it breaks?

Microsoft won this round. I have tons of games for it, and it's still used - especially by my kids. Foolish me for, you know, wanting a console to play the games I paid for :rolleyes:

But the xbone, fogeddaboutit...

You'd think with the size of that xbone box, and the fact the power brick is external, this would be a non issue....

We'll have to wait for internal shots to really get an idea of how they're handling heat management in the XB1, but, given the size of the box and the fact that the hardware isn't that powerful and the power supply is external, even a basic thermal management solution would work and keep it cool even in tight areas. Even if they have a kickass thermal management solution they'd still have to account for people not treating their hardware right, and people sticking heat-producing hardware into fully enclosed spaces happens all too often. :p Better to be safe than sorry.

That said, I hope they pay attention to sound levels. With how far we've come with heatsink and fan technology, there's really no excuse for a PC/Console in this day and age to generate annoying levels of noise unless it's overclocked, running multiple GPUs, and in a poorly designed case :D

Sounds like a side effect of using PC components... Thermal throttling anyone?

haha isn't this the default function of all CPUs now?

Realistically its a good idea you got so many people who jam electronics into entertainment centers with no ventilation that have no concept of how heat and electronics work.

haha isn't this the default function of all CPUs now?

Realistically its a good idea you got so many people who jam electronics into entertainment centers with no ventilation that have no concept of how heat and electronics work.
I don't get who designs these cabinets for holding like dvd players and crap it's like they want shit to break

I don't get who designs these cabinets for holding like dvd players and crap it's like they want shit to break

People who make chairs and only use iPads.

And yes its amazing. every time I go into a furniture store looking for any device that has anything to do with electronics I come up empty. I actually had to build my own entertainment center because nothing existed in the entire market that was correct. Here are some hilarious anomalies if you go into a furniture store.

There is no place in the center for an actual you know center speaker.
None of them have enough height if they do have a place in the center for a typical center speaker with a basic 4-5 inch driver. The top spot is always designed for the cable box not the center speaker.

Oh and did you guys know no one on earth has more than a 19 inch monitor because you can hardly find any hutches or desks that have enough clearance for a 27 inch.

My mom actually bought a big desk that was clearly designed to hold a atx tower in it, even had a power bar that let you plug everything in and was labeled with things like printer, monitor etc. Was a couple thousand dollars, I came right in and pulled the silver stone case out to see there was no ventilation at all. 1 foot through the back fixed that.

If a device throttles to prevent overheating then that product is a failed product because you are not getting the speed you paid for. I know video cards and cpu do this but if my video card was throttling all the time to prevent overheating I would return it as defective. It is a band-aid approach.

If you don't provide adequate cooling then of course you want it to protect itself.

:rolleyes:
If a device throttles to prevent overheating then that product is a failed product because you are not getting the speed you paid for. I know video cards and cpu do this but if my video card was throttling all the time to prevent overheating I would return it as defective. It is a band-aid approach.

Then you would throw another one in, it would overheat, throttle, wash, rinse, repeat. All the time, you would never notice the poor airflow in your case / build. :D

If you don't provide adequate cooling then of course you want it to protect itself.

What do you mean if *I* don't provide adequate cooling? That is the manufacturer's responsibility and not mine.

Sometimes they sell people marginal hardware that throttles back even with adequate cooling. Read up above and you will see a post from someone stating that is what happened to him.

Then you would throw another one in, it would overheat, throttle, wash, rinse, repeat. All the time, you would never notice the poor airflow in your case / build. :D

I have this case; which is rated one of the best cases for cooling on the planet.

2.jpg

What do you mean if *I* don't provide adequate cooling? That is the manufacturer's responsibility and not mine.

Sometimes they sell people marginal hardware that throttles back even with adequate cooling. Read up above and you will see a post from someone stating that is what happened to him.

This is most likely a feature for people who cake their console in cat hair and dust, or throw it in an A/V cabinet with no air flow. Instead of killing the hardware, it allows them to clean it, or move the console to a proper environment with adequate ventilation.

Back