Xbox one and PS4 a generation ahead of pc's?

I just had this thought:

The XBone is definitely a generation ahead in DRM technology and fucking consumers over.

True story.

Xbox one and PS4 at least one or two generations behind pc's

Fixed.

These consoles are already outdated. all i need to do is stick my 580gtx on my HTPC and paint it in black and it will outperform these consoles at 1080p res easily.

Watch and see how the games on the next gen wont look any better then the same pc version.

These consoles needed to have cutting edge tech. im talking about sticking a 700 series GPU along with a proper Quad core CPU like an i7, not a little 7670 card? and an atom based CPU? da fuck?

It's hilarious that all the console gamers are spooshing over footage from KZ4 and the new CoD when a game like The Witcher 2 @ max is already as good looking if not BETTER than both of those and was released 2 years ago.

Or Tomb Raider. Or Metro. Or... well, you get the point. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
roflbot.jpg

Well the Xbox 3 and the ps4 are more advanced than the previous gen. I would not say they are behind anything but not ahead either. Honestly they should have concentrated on features and library than omg stuff the fastest whatever in from the company that gave them the lowest build cost.

Both systems are not going to be able to run any of the previous gen games digital or not due to the architecture change going from ppc to x86-64. The ps4 is supposedly going to have limitedback compatibility via off site emulation and rendering to be streamed back but I'm not optimistic about that after all Sony and Microsoft both have histories of abandoning tech.

It will be a nice upgrade from the current PS3 and 360. That is all that really matters because that is what all the buyers will be comparing their new consoles to. If the new consoles blow the old away everyone will be happy!! They don't have to match or beat a high end gaming PC. All they have to do is run the games at a consistently smooth 30+ fps in true HD, something the current gen does not do.

It will be a nice upgrade from the current PS3 and 360. That is all that really matters because that is what all the buyers will be comparing their new consoles to. If the new consoles blow the old away everyone will be happy!! They don't have to match or beat a high end gaming PC. All they have to do is run the games at a consistently smooth 30+ fps in true HD, something the current gen does not do.

They should have no problem with the 30 fps target. I still can't stand that, just watching the elemental demo drop to those ranges makes me cringe. I know it doesn't bother like 90% of people out there, but for fucks sake I can't deal with it being like that.

@ 1:50 watch the falling bricks (PS4 vs PC, not XBone obviously, however the PS4 should have the slight hardware edge over the XBone. So it's not exciting to me in its current form. It's even more obvious when you don't watch them side by side.)
http://youtu.be/ih7jJJpgfQ8

Granted devs will naturally optimize their games the best they can to try and avoid that. However just that right there does not get me all excited about silky fluid gameplay after waiting 8 years. Fast paced games like racing would highly benefit from 60 fps IMO. Especially stuff like Blur, NSF: Hot Pursuit, Burnout and Sonic & All Stars Racing where it's fast paced destruction. As well as regular racing games.

Granted I don't even play NSF: Hot Pursuit, because it takes five fucking minutes to get into the god damn game. However that's EA's dumb fault. There are just some games you should be able to start, his multi-player and fucking go. They fucked that shit up hardcore. And now that EA is in bed with MS, my hopes for XBone are even more diminished because MS fucks up enough on their own, they don't need the fuck up KING working with them. :(

Last edited:
How can they be a generation ahead,when they don't have something as basic as true keyboard/mouse support? Despite the fact that FPS games have been one of their biggest staples?

These consoles needed to have cutting edge tech. im talking about sticking a 700 series GPU along with a proper Quad core CPU like an i7, not a little 7670 card? and an atom based CPU? da fuck?

An i7 is overkill. It would be a waste of fucking money to put in a console.

The 8 core Jaguar is not a powerhouse, but it's perfectly adequate for a console.

How can they be a generation ahead,when they don't have something as basic as true keyboard/mouse support? Despite the fact that FPS games have been one of their biggest staples?

I think that's more of a dev issue than a console issue. For example Dust 514 a PS3 exclusive by CCP has native kb/mouse support that works great. Granted it would be nice if it was included across the board natively across the entire console interface.

The Xbox One's GPU looks like it might be comparable to an HD 4870. So it's about 5 years behind the PC.

I'm just happy that consoles are increasing in power since devs won't develop their games for such weak systems anymore. The bad news is that I'll be forced to upgrade in around a year or so if I want to play the cutting edge but I'll be rocking a 6 year old system by then so I don't really mind of course I'll probably only spend around 330$ in upgrades and my system will still match consoles for the next 10 years so it's like eh... not anything to be overly excited about.

Seeing what devs can do with current gen hardware, these new specs sound great to me... if they decided to use them for only 5-6 years at most. But we all know that isn't going to happen so I'm ultimately still disappointed.

I still like my BR player -err I mean PS3 just fine.

Not even close. Probably about 30 percent faster than a GTX 650 Ti because of the closed nature to the metal. It's basically a beefed up Kabini with more shaders and DDR5 support. Maybe a little more to the metal abilities. These consoles will come out, they will look good, but they will be superseded. This has happened every generation, and will until either consoles would become expandable (not likely) or everyone goes pc. Although MS may be on to something with that cloud shit. It's not picking on consoles it's just fact though.

Last edited:
An i7 is overkill. It would be a waste of fucking money to put in a console.

The 8 core Jaguar is not a powerhouse, but it's perfectly adequate for a console.

Overkill today yes but not tomorrow and it will make the consoles last longer.

What about sticking a 700 series GPU? Or better yet a hybrid 20mm maxter architech GPU that is out next year for pc?

They could downclock the 20mm GPU significantly so it performs like a 680 so it can be passively cooled and make the proper beats for pc's

I would really love to see a PC game or Benchmark that is programmed specifically for an Ivy i7 and Titan card, with low-level hardware access and no Drivers, API and Operating System inbetween, just like console games work on their hardware. Pretty sure it would be no less than photorealistic graphics at 60 fps.

My guess is that both consoles will stay ahead of the PC for the first year and after that it will level out.

The thing is that even today a PS3 graphically speaking is not too far off from your mainstream gaming machine hence why so many titles are on all plat forms.

I also doubt that the jump in graphics will be as big as the jump from PS2 to PS3......we're starting to see the effect of much much much more power needed for a small jump in graphical performance.

Even 6 years ago the X800GTO2 when flashed to the next model up or a X1900XT compared to the model below it there was a large jump in quality but now a days the jump from one card to the next is so small it's almost insignificant.

It's the same thing when you take a look at cars. It's why a car that can do 200+ requires an unbelievable large motor (a ton of money as well) and everything else compared to a car that can do 150mph that you can get for cheap (pretty much any stock car).

Overkill today yes but not tomorrow
The CPU capacity is enough for its intended purpose. Greater capacity always helps in being able to drive rendering, but it seems like there's going to be little for wanting in that area this generation, and very rarely do console games very rarely do any kind of computationally-intense simulation that would require monstrous CPU horsepower. Besides, this generation is going to be more GPU compute-oriented.

Based on what I've seen, next-gen games are simply current-gen games running at native 1080p.

Based on what I've seen, next-gen games are simply current-gen games running at native 1080p.

Well yeah, that's exactly what happened last time isn't it? They come out and run the current stuff really well, but when the new stuff hits they chop the resolution down?

I expect they will also utilize the classic particle, lightning and level space limitations too.

Well yeah, that's exactly what happened last time isn't it? They come out and run the current stuff really well, but when the new stuff hits they chop the resolution down?

I expect they will also utilize the classic particle, lightning and level space limitations too.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, todays consoles will have more available power but they most likely will have capped framerates. Almost certain. These consoles are not a GTX 680, 780, or Titan in any way, shape, or form.

I still don't get why people still argue if Ps4 or Xbox One will be better than PC. Just remember when you build a Console you have to take hardware at current date, do testing, annonce it + releasing, thats about 2-3 years of process to get one great Console finish. By than the hardware are already 2 years old.

On top of that, you pay for what you get, a 500$ Console vs 2000$ PC, obviously the PC will be much better. But if you build a 500$ PC vs 500$ Console, you might get something equal or similar.

I still don't get why people still argue if Ps4 or Xbox One will be better than PC. Just remember when you build a Console you have to take hardware at current date, do testing, annonce it + releasing, thats about 2-3 years of process to get one great Console finish. By than the hardware are already 2 years old.

On top of that, you pay for what you get, a 500$ Console vs 2000$ PC, obviously the PC will be much better. But if you build a 500$ PC vs 500$ Console, you might get something equal or similar.

Exactly, and that's including the fact that a console is subsidized. They're bankrolling people on everything else. :(

Like others have stated, for people who just want to have a simple time and just invest 400-500 bucks on a console to have it play games decently is fine. Computers can be complicated for many and just overall not very ideal if your entire goal is to just wanting to play games that look fairly decent on the big screen. Other stuff like keyboard/mouse over a controller and just having friends on xbox live or psn versus steam or something but that is just other preferences. In the end it's just all preference.

The CPU capacity is enough for its intended purpose. Greater capacity always helps in being able to drive rendering, but it seems like there's going to be little for wanting in that area this generation, and very rarely do console games very rarely do any kind of computationally-intense simulation that would require monstrous CPU horsepower. Besides, this generation is going to be more GPU compute-oriented.

MMO's and sim related games require beefy CPU's so its vital that a ps4 and xbox has a beefy cpu which it doesnt so it will run certain games like shit

Like others have stated, for people who just want to have a simple time and just invest 400-500 bucks on a console to have it play games decently is fine. Computers can be complicated for many and just overall not very ideal if your entire goal is to just wanting to play games that look fairly decent on the big screen. Other stuff like keyboard/mouse over a controller and just having friends on xbox live or psn versus steam or something but that is just other preferences. In the end it's just all preference.

Computers are as complicated as a console so dont go spouting that nonsense.

a pc can just be used to play games in your sofa as well by enabling steam TV to boot up insead of windows desktop

Computers are as complicated as a console so dont go spouting that nonsense.

a pc can just be used to play games in your sofa as well by enabling steam TV to boot up insead of windows desktop
its not nonsense. put disc in and play is all it takes for a console. NOTHING to figure out. most console gamers don't give a crap about fooling with a pc or even know what the specs mean.

its not nonsense. put disc in and play is all it takes for a console. NOTHING to figure out. most console gamers don't give a crap about fooling with a pc or even know what the specs mean.

Welcome to Steam bringing console gaming to PC...
Just buy the game on steam and press Play, it will download, install, update the patches, update Direct x and everything it needs with no user interaction.
The days of messing with PC configs are gone, talking about recent games.

Except next gen Xbox, put a disc in, install and then play, sort of like PC. I keep saying that they are chipping away the benefits of consoles, because they are. It's to the point now, where you should just take the flexibility of a HTPC and not get fucked on everything else. You can boot straight to the Steam big screen, or if something else is non-Steam you can still drop to a normal interface and install/launch that.

With PC becoming more refined while maintaining flexibility, there's little reason to opt for a console anymore. Plus you can use just about any controller you want on the PC, not just the kb/mouse.

Welcome to Steam bringing console gaming to PC...
Just buy the game on steam and press Play, it will download, install, update the patches, update Direct x and everything it needs with no user interaction.
The days of messing with PC configs are gone, talking about recent games.

You and I know it's pretty much the same damn thing. But most people listen to the console hype machine and don't want to mess around with PC since consoles not only have simple to use programs but they also give their users a sense of "I belong with my friends since they own the same thing and we play the same thing" sort of ordeal.

So high-end pc's are still going to be faster then consoles however the consoles have gotten to a point that most people no longer care about the difference.

I'd dare say that you will need at least a 4 core I5 3Ghz system or above to keep up with the latest Jaguar processor as the AMD cores are roughly 50% as powerful as a simularly clocked Intel I3 or I5 counterpart but the thing about the AMD cores is you have 8 of them so if they program all of them to work together there is no possible way you will run a console port on a dual core pc, and this is coming from someone who has been using a dual core pc for games for the last 9 years and has seen no reason to upgrade until after this console generation launches.

I also doubt that the jump in graphics will be as big as the jump from PS2 to PS3......we're starting to see the effect of much much much more power needed for a small jump in graphical performance.
I'm always amazed to see people forget this simple idea, that with each generation we see progressively smaller leaps forward in graphics as we approach photo realism. IMO we aren't even in the "uncanny valley", just barely starting to approach it. Beyond that it will take more time to come out of...

Back