Xbox "Next" or "Infinity" reveal thread. Today is the big day!

Heh , well done. I would probably fucking buy one at this point. I will not be allowing the camera to see me when I'm not using the damn thing.

Would not be surprised in the least to see Nyko, Madcatz etc. come out with "Kinect lens covers" for those who prefer something more visually appealing than tape. :rolleyes:

I also would not be the least bit surprised to hear that Microsoft intentionally did not put a lens cover in the new Kinect just to so those companies COULD come out with such products, of course with Microsoft collecting a 10% royalty fee on said products. :rolleyes:

Ok thanks.

I think that will put a dent in the Xbox One game rental market.

Undoubtedly.
I don't think Redbox or Gamefly is going to give out credits or vouchers to cover the "activation fee", and certainly people are not going to want to pay it and will probably stop renting or buying used games.
I would not be surprised to see used game stores and/or rental companies refuse to carry any Xbox One titles, and will instead fill their shelves with more Ps4/Wii U titles.

Ok thanks.

I think that will put a dent in the Xbox One game rental market.

It will destroy Gamestop. Their profit margin just took a nose dive. They LIVE off of used game sales except now gamers will have to pay more for the pleasure and Gamestop will get less business.

Would not be surprised in the least to see Nyko, Madcatz etc. come out with "Kinect lens covers" for those who prefer something more visually appealing than tape. :rolleyes:

You cannot block the telescreen.

th

It will destroy Gamestop. Their profit margin just took a nose dive. They LIVE off of used game sales except now gamers will have to pay more for the pleasure and Gamestop will get less business.

Actually I could see Gamestop and MS partnering with a sort of game return refund program. Since all games install and presumable are associated with your account the discs become worthless to gamers after their first use so gamers trade in their discs to Gamestop for $5 or so. Gamestop then packages a new code in that they buy from MS and resell the disc as used (or knowing them they'd just call it new) for $55. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do this and increase profits for both gamestop and MS.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/43...-and-microsoft-see-the-value-in-used-games-on

Actually I could see Gamestop and MS partnering with a sort of game return refund program. Since all games install and presumable are associated with your account the discs become worthless to gamers after their first use so gamers trade in their discs to Gamestop for $5 or so. Gamestop then packages a new code in that they buy from MS and resell the disc as used (or knowing them they'd just call it new) for $55. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do this and increase profits for both gamestop and MS.

Gamestop would effectively be giving its profits to MS for the pleasure of doing what it already does.

How likely are you to spend $55 on a new game then another $5 for the activation fee? If new games are going to be $60 then what's the point?

You can bet Gamestop is pretty unhappy right now. Personally I don't sell lots of used games but I know a lot of people who do and this is a pretty big deal killer.

Gamestop would effectively be giving its profits to MS for the pleasure of doing what it already does.

How likely are you to spend $55 on a new game then another $5 for the activation fee? If new games are going to be $60 then what's the point?

You can bet Gamestop is pretty unhappy right now. Personally I don't sell lots of used games but I know a lot of people who do and this is a pretty big deal killer.

I meant that the total would be $55 to the gamer. MS and Gamestop are going to make plenty of money splitting the $50 -$5 they paid the seller.

Also, it's not a deal killer since all games are effectively this way now. You don't have any alternative with any other console probably. Did you enjoy selling your games to gamestop or trading them on cheapassgamer? Well too bad, those days are over.

What the hell was Microsoft going for with this? The vast majority of people that tuned in and care about this broadcast are GAMERS, not the casual crowd this thing was clearly being marketed towards. Why the hell would I want to buy this over a PS4? Because of the awesome TV features and internet explorer? I guess I can be happy about having an easier choice.

The vast majority of people who will watch the E3 press conferences are gamers as well... which is where Microsoft has already said they'll focus on the games. Today was about revealing the hardware and some of its functionality. I say reserve final judgement until E3 in a couple weeks.

Given that we've now had 1 full product cycle that does that completely (and the prior generation was somewhat capable of doing those).... I think you'd be in the minority to want that.

But that's JMHO.

How long have consoles been able to play CD's? DVD's?
SegaCD and TurboCD/TurboDuo played CD's and that was 20 years ago. DVD movies goes back to the Ps2 and that was 13 years ago. Before that there were Video CD's and I'm pretty sure the Saturn and Playstation were capable of that.

Streaming movies is new, but why would someone buy a new console to stream movies when the old console they've already paid for does it just fine?

Well for one, the x360 and ps3 can do it, but it does it somewhat clunky, and they cannot support all media files. So I would not say they do it "just fine". They do it, but it could definitely be better. I am hoping that the x720 and ps4 both are designed with this in mind, not an after thought, so it will be much more integrated and work much smoother.

Also, people don't want 10 devices to do everything. They want one device to rule them all. We are still a ways away from that, but still the more this box can do, the better.

Well for one, the x360 and ps3 can do it, but it does it somewhat clunky, and they cannot support all media files. So I would not say they do it "just fine". They do it, but it could definitely be better. I am hoping that the x720 and ps4 both are designed with this in mind, not an after thought, so it will be much more integrated and work much smoother.

Also, people don't want 10 devices to do everything. They want one device to rule them all. We are still a ways away from that, but still the more this box can do, the better.

Tablets can also stream movies on any format easily

Tablets can also stream movies on any format easily

What does that have to do with anything?

A tablet cannot easily decode a video stream and display it on your HDTV and surround sound. We are talking about people wanting a console to be an all in one entertainment device.

What does that have to do with anything?

A tablet cannot easily decode a video stream and display it on your HDTV and surround sound. We are talking about people wanting a console to be an all in one entertainment device.

Yes it can :)

A ps3 and 360 can stream content perfectly fine. If you are thinking about a system can stream pirated/dodgy movies from a NAS box or something, even a ps3 can do that including mkv files.

What would be really great is if you had one box that could do everything. Web surf, listen to music, play movies, stream movies from any site, play a huge library of games, be backward compatible with all of its previous games. Oh right, that's a PC. :D

You guys seem to forget some basics - WE ARE NOT THE TARGET.

The typical gamer these days is going to be more than happy with a new COD, Halo and Forza. I don't care at all about NFL and fantasy leagues, but that's a huge market, just look at how many times EA has sold the exact same Madden game.

Did you notice they didn't mention Kinect in relation to games even once? Previously that was all the focus, and as a result we got kiddy games. Now Kinect is being used for things like Tv, which almost everyone is interested in. The casual tv viewing crowd is a LOT bigger than the hardcore gamer market, and this will sell, no doubts about it.

Sony is trying to sell to hardcore gamers. MS is selling to everyone and also going after gamers who want established franchises.

What would be really great is if you had one box that could do everything. Web surf, listen to music, play movies, stream movies from any site, play a huge library of games, be backward compatible with all of its previous games. Oh right, that's a PC. :D

QFT.

Consoles keep trying to encroach on PC territory, but avoid being PCs. Consumers just need to realize that PCs exist and can do all consoles can do and more, while also not being more expensive.

Hook a mid-low end PC up to your TV, run it at console visual quality levels. Cheap as nuts, more functional and infinitely customizable.

Sony must have this thing beat on raw specs since MS didn't mention anything specific at all. Going to be hard for the One to compete with that 8GB DDR5.

Required kinect trumps everything else and kills any hope. It's not just about the camera, there's also a mic spying on you.

Required kinect trumps everything else and kills any hope. It's not just about the camera, there's also a mic spying on you.

Its a pure violation of privacy. I don't understand why so many people are comfortable with all the cameras they have , active , even when they aren't using them.

Its a pure violation of privacy. I don't understand why so many people are comfortable with all the cameras they have , active , even when they aren't using them.

It sounded to me like if you're not using the Xbox the Kinect camera is off. It is listening for you to say "Xbox on", though.

Yes it can :)

A ps3 and 360 can stream content perfectly fine. If you are thinking about a system can stream pirated/dodgy movies from a NAS box or something, even a ps3 can do that including mkv files.

No they cannot. The keyword is "easily".

The general public cannot do these things on a ps3 easily and conveniently. It is clunky. You have to download special programs. And unless things changed recently, the ps3 cannot decode mkv files. You have to either convert it to another container, or stream it from your computer to the ps3. A NAS is not acceptable, because if it is an actual NAS, it will likely not have the processing power to do the video decoding itself. Again, unless things changed recently, a ps3 processor cannot be used to decode mkv video files.

Still, mkv files are not the point. THe point is the user-friendliness and clunkiness. Ps3 and x360 are both clunky in this regard. I imagine the next gen console will handle this stuff a lot better.

Further, I have not seen a tablet that can do the video decoding and easily and conveniently stream it to an HDTV.

Last edited:
What a shit show that was. That new Kinect is down right intrusive to privacy and completely unnecessary, not to mention how completely and utterly underwhelming the rest of the system was.

Looks like I'll be sticking with PC, PS4, and 3DS for this gen. May end up purchasing a Wii U and Vita if the games are there.

I've made several posts over time saying M$ was going to go in this direction. I hoped I was wrong, but nah.

I've made several posts over time saying M$ was going to go in this direction. I hoped I was wrong, but nah.

Well to be fair you were nay saying a bit. We've all seen MS misstep over the years but overall I would say this misstep is on a whole new level.

Its pretty clear that MS wants a VERY closed ecosystem that it has complete control over. Sony doesn't seem as crazed about it as MS does this time around.

I think its safe to say that with all of MS's new restrictions that Sony has the better console this time around IF they don't surprise us with some nonsense during E3.

Also it seems that while Always Online isn't a requirement , after 24 hours of playing offline the Xbox One will close down your game.

I guess this makes sense if you are installing ALL of your games and not having to have the disc present to play them as not having to be online ever would be easily abused by pirates in some way. But I can see some bad stuff rising from this , their cloud service better be rock solid stable. Amazon is probably the biggest cloud service around and they've had fuck up after fuck up.

Its a scary notion knowing that virtually everything is in the cloud.

So when do they bring in Randy Pitchford and John Riccitiello to come and start apologifending?

I have to have the sensor-bar connected to my Wii to use it. ZOMG!.

you said that? really? Wii sensor bar is 2 infrared LEDs....not a camera staring you in the face...

so far MS has not shown anything worth buying...

Last edited:
I just realised - the camera may finally allow the face mapping feature that Rare wanted to implement into Perfect Dark so many years ago.

Back