Xbox "Next" or "Infinity" reveal thread. Today is the big day!

I'm not sure I've seen MS say that you have to install ALL of the disc (so that you could run without it), but I'm aware of the zeitgeist. I guess it makes sense in a way (digital downloads==disc installs), but as a user I'd rather it'd be an option.

The devs knows best what makes sense to install and what doesn't, and if I could override that with 'install everything' that would provide the best balance between disk use and convenience.

Say a game contains 5GB of unlockable 'behind the scenes video'. Doesn't make a whole lot sense to /have/ to install that.

Also for the record I want to make clear that my disappointment is with MS focus and their 'first impressions' specifically. I'm one of those luddites who, not only live outside of North America, I also don't have a TV. I give zero fucks about Kinnect, which is now being sold again with the same promises that they made for the first model. There is a history with MS iterating on hardware till it gets good, but even IF kinnect works as well as they claim, I'd rather just do things the old fashioned way.

All that doesn't mean that they can' go on and present a whole lot of amazing games at E3, and Sony can still fuck it up on their end (I know they'll fuck up the software side). That said, XBone is not off to a good start with this gamer.

So yeah, looking forward to getting a next-gen graphics card this winter, and reevaluate this whole console mess a year in or whenever they hit that first price drop.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4348916/xbox-used-games

ALL games. So most games will be 20-25GB's in size , "Arcade" games will of course be less but regardless 500GB's will not not be enough for people like us in this thread. Its not like you can simply run the game from an Optical drive and just bypass installing , you have ZERO choice so space is a premium.

But otherwise I agree. We'll see what Sony has to say at E3 , if they have even an ounce intelligence they will ride the wave and give gamers their freedom on the issues we obviously are bothered by and if they do that? They have my money.

I dunno the 15 they said would be out within 6 months of release? That's not including third parties. I'm sure they will show most of them at E3, Nintendo will be lucky to show off 5.

Well since Nintendo isn't doing a press conference at this years E3, that's a pretty good bet. :D

Why is no one talking about the hardware design, seen in Wired shots. Copper heatpipes, huge heatsink and fan, a clean layout - this will be a very reliable and quiet machine.

At E3, I hope Sony announces at least a 1TB hard drive, but I'm curious if they will also have a 'must install to hdd' policy. Doing that makes each game consistent, and the system no longer has to manage caching between optical and hdd. It seems like a simpler approach and that seems to be Sony's goal, so I think they will too.

Why is no one talking about the hardware design, seen in Wired shots. Copper heatpipes, huge heatsink and fan, a clean layout - this will be a very reliable and quiet machine.

Because huge heatsinks and fans with a clean layout doesn't mean quiet or reliable.

At E3, I hope Sony announces at least a 1TB hard drive, but I'm curious if they will also have a 'must install to hdd' policy. Doing that makes each game consistent, and the system no longer has to manage caching between optical and hdd. It seems like a simpler approach and that seems to be Sony's goal, so I think they will too.

I think its because without good software and an honest approach MS basically has a media center box with very little to do with gaming.

I actually like how the Xbox One looks , I don't give a shit if its a piece of art deco like some do. I want would want a box that doesn't RROD 5 times during my ownership of the One.

Its great that MS has , for appearances sake so far , fixed the design flaw that lead to the RROD and helped mitigate its heat removal problems but we need solid response to major questions about how MS intends to influence our experience before we can begin to appreciate the design at this point.

I already install all games I play on my xbox 360. I usually can only have 6 or so games installed because of the size of them and all the other DLC I have on my system but I don't find it super annoying to have to install all games before playing them.

I already install all games I play on my xbox 360. I usually can only have 6 or so games installed because of the size of them and all the other DLC I have on my system but I don't find it super annoying to have to install all games before playing them.

Its not the act of installing that's annoying , its the act of space management. Except now instead of installing some games and using others via optical disc in order to easily cope with space issues you'll be installing and uninstalling games in order to make space and from what it sounds like uninstalling and reinstalling games is a pain in the ass with this console. Doesn't sound like its as simple as "delete" and "install" with the 360.

These are Blu Ray discs people , max size probably 50+GB's. Most games? Half that but that's still pretty sizable with only 500GB's to deal with.

Its not the act of installing that's annoying , its the act of space management. Except now instead of installing some games and using others via optical disc in order to easily cope with space issues you'll be installing and uninstalling games in order to make space and from what it sounds like uninstalling and reinstalling games is a pain in the ass with this console. Doesn't sound like its as simple as "delete" and "install" with the 360.

These are Blu Ray discs people , max size probably 50+GB's. Most games? Half that but that's still pretty sizable with only 500GB's to deal with.

Well still, I usually leave 5-6 games on my console. The newest Halo or COD that I am playing online and 3-4 other single player games I'm working through. I don't typically replay through tons of old games at once so installing/reinstalling isn't that big of an issue. It takes about 15 minutes to install so I just set it up to install when I get home and usually by the time I'm done getting changed and eating I can sit down and play. I can't really imagine needing to have more than 6-8 games installed at once. The new Blu-ray drives are much faster too so I imagine installing wont take forever and as they have said, you can play and install at the same time on both Xbox One and PS4.

I agree with him in that forcing the DRM removes the last advantage consoles had over gaming PCs. At this point the only reason to buy a console is for exclusive games, and those are becoming an endangered species.

I think in this economy you gotta sell people on a system. You can't ride on being the only show in town. They did a pretty horrid job on the announcement. Announce a cool peripheral, announce a new capcom title, announce a "new" shooter, GTFO. Instead they showed a box, a remote and another camera then a spewing of awful news about DRM.

I don't why they bothered it's worse than a monday morning staff meeting at work. I hear a lot of people say "what, they should have showed nothing?". Yes, they should have just not done this at all. This may end up being no big deal but it's already done way more harm than good. Here's tim buckley being a creepy fanboy as usual. wonder what he'll get out of it.

I dunno the 15 they said would be out within 6 months of release? That's not including third parties. I'm sure they will show most of them at E3, Nintendo will be lucky to show off 5.

Anybody want to bet that these "15 games" they are talking about will be either Xbox Live arcade-like small games and/or Kinect games. Maybe 1-3 of those games will be actual full-scale titles.

Consoles still have an advantage over pc's. Most people don't want to manage a PC, install apps, drivers/updates etc, not to mention connecting it to their living room tv.

People on [H] and other geek forums aren't the only ones using consoles. Not everyone cares about upgrading gfx cards or resolution, most just want to buy a new game, put the disc in and play. That is not going to change soon, we have yet to see if SteamBox etc are going to be successful.

Consoles still have an advantage over pc's. Most people don't want to manage a PC, install apps, drivers/updates etc, not to mention connecting it to their living room tv.

People on [H] and other geek forums aren't the only ones using consoles. Not everyone cares about upgrading gfx cards or resolution, most just want to buy a new game, put the disc in and play. That is not going to change soon, we have yet to see if SteamBox etc are going to be successful.

But with all the TV functionality they're hyping so hard there's going to be a somewhat complicated setup process with IR blasters and programming and such let alone interfacing with your DVR. Steam has made it so easy to install and update PC games that the gap in convenience isn't very big anymore. It's really up to steam and us to sell it to common users. I've had non-computer friends I've converted to steam advocates pretty easily. I don't see that trend ending.

But with all the TV functionality they're hyping so hard there's going to be a somewhat complicated setup process with IR blasters and programming and such let alone interfacing with your DVR. Steam has made it so easy to install and update PC games that the gap in convenience isn't very big anymore. It's really up to steam and us to sell it to common users. I've had non-computer friends I've converted to steam advocates pretty easily. I don't see that trend ending.

Indeed. Building an HTPC has never been easier and cheaper. The One looks like it'll clog the support lines for a while to come with people who can barely hook up a single HDMI cable much less setup an IR blaster and assign their One as a DVR through their content provider.

Steam really has changed the game for HTPC's , big screen mode is a no brainer for those who can't grasp it outside of that.

1. Sony hasn't confirmed PSN will be free
2. PS4 will most likely not let you fully install to hdd and play without the disc
3. Sony hasn't confirmed plans for used games or lending

Everyone needs to calm down till we know exact details of both systems.

1. You're right, they haven't.
2. The PS3 lets you fully install games on the HDD if you buy them from the PS store, PS4 lets you play even while the game is installing.
3. Sony already confirmed that they won't block used games. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/730149/playstation-4-wont-block-used-games-sony-confirms/

1. You're right, they haven't.
2. The PS3 lets you fully install games on the HDD if you buy them from the PS store, PS4 lets you play even while the game is installing.
3. Sony already confirmed that they won't block used games. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/730149/playstation-4-wont-block-used-games-sony-confirms/

It may not "block" used games but you can count on a MP fee if you wanna play online. Its still better than what MS is doing but remember , E3 is still 3 weeks away. Sony could decide to change its entire setup and go for the same model. Sony is famous for doing shit like this in the past.

Nothing is certain until its announced at E3 and spoken aloud as fact. Right now everything is just speculation until then.

I really like the idea of being able to play while the game is installing. It sounds like it's going to be the same with the new Xbox (at least according to an Engadget article I read). Certainly a welcome feature, since it's a pain having to wait... well, a minor inconvenience really, but still nice.

My problem is that yes, they've said they won't be blocking used games. However, that doesn't mean it won't have similar policies that the Xbox One is going to have. The rumor was the PS4 would not let you play used games at all. They shot it down, but really you could still end up being required to jump through some hoops. I really hope it's not the case, and that things will be exactly like how they are now. Hopefully everything will be known come E3.

Exactly. They said used games can be played, not that they can be played for free and with no restrictions. e.g. if PS4 allows you to play a game after install to hdd without needing a disc, then there has to be some policy to check it, otherwise people will just copy the game.

And building HTPC may be simple for us geeks (when has it been hard?), its still rocket science for the average consumer. I will guarantee you there is no way SteamBox/Shield etc will have the retail presence of consoles. I don't know a single non-gamer who even knows what Steam is, let alone big screen mode. Every parent knows what PS3/Xbox are.

As of April 11, 2013 (this is 5 months after launch in case you are having trouble counting) the Wii U has at leat 132 games confirmed via retail or downloadable. amd the XBO gets 15 within 6 months?

Obviously your reasoning is not sound.. oh wait you said first party titles

let me go get that list....Published by Nintendo. This does not include the remaining 14 games lined up with no release date set yet

Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
New Super Luigi U (July release date)
Pikmin 3 (July release date)
Sing Party
The Wonderful 101 (August release date)
Wii Party U (July 2)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Last edited:
As of April 11, 2013 (this is 5 months after launch in case you are having trouble counting) the Wii U has at leat 132 games confirmed via retail or downloadable. amd the XBO gets 15 within 6 months?

let me go get that list....Published by Nintendo. This does not include the remaining 14 games lined up with no release date set yet

Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Wii Party U (July 2)

That's 15 first-party games...

Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Wii Party U (July 2)

Well I'm sure there will be a bunch more Xbox arcade (whatever they wanna call it) titles coming within 12 months. I'm sure that the number they gave at the reveal is retail titles and possibly first party. If you are going to add all the recycled emulated games from the Wii-U market place its only fair to consider the same for the One.

What sucks is that only two games on that list warrant any interest as far as I am concerned (from me). I see lots of usual Nintendo fair in that mix. Wonder what they will announce at E3.

Halo 5, 6, 7, 8. Gears of War, and some Kinect Sports <--- I'd laugh if half of them are Kinect.

... i believe they said 8 games are new ips.

Yeah, they said 8 of the games will be completely new IPs. Also, somebody mentioned they were releasing 15 first party titles in the first 6 months. I believe they said 15 in the first year.

Back