XBOX: MS allowing publishers to remove Private Chat, starts with COD4 MW2

lgestle

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...efully-removes-party-chat-for-upcoming-titles

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will force players to decide whether or not they’ll play the game and join the game chat, or choose to stay in a private chat and not play in the multiplayer game. With titles like Gears of War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, and many other online based multiplayer titles, the private chat feature became a way of telling other players of enemy locations after being killed. "

I'm not to sure I agree with this as I enjoy the party only chat option. I can understand the cheating aspect, but I would rather have the occasional cheater than be subject to the entire team chat all the time.

I usually talk in party chat only as I only play team games with my friends. I'm not really interested in hearing all the crap other people have to say if they're not in my party. I mean -- isn't that really the whole point of the party system?

I usually talk in party chat only as I only play team games with my friends. I'm not really interested in hearing all the crap other people have to say if they're not in my party. I mean -- isn't that really the whole point of the party system?
Same. The picture on the website indicates this policy for private chat extends to party chat. What I find odd is people that used it for opposite team communication will continue via other methods (Example calling each other). However, disabling party chat depending on title is a huge step back in my opinion.
I hope that this only becomes disabled if it detects your on opposite teams, but have a feeling nobody wanted to put much effort into this detection and just disabled it completely.

Last edited:
This is kinda BS, though I can understand their reasoning. How often is this really done?
I talk in party chat to my friends that may not even be playing the same game. So now i cant play online and chat with friends.
this is me.. "With some gamers only using the private chat to talk to friends while playing different games, this will likely pose a problem for them"

i understand if they do this in ranked matches and give people to the option to do in in private games, but if this gets into the public matchmaking, i probably wont be playing mw2 online at all.

im usually in a party with 5-8 friends while im online, and if i need to choose between talking to them or playing mp with myself and maybe another friend or two, ill choose not playing mp all as the main reason we go into party chat is so that we dont have to hear all the 12 year olds bitching that they died and yell over them to talk to each other.

im really feeling that this is a step backwards for Live rather than a step forward, since there's a good majority of people who play games like CoD online just for fun, and not being able to talk to friends whether they're in the game or not because you might be "cheating" seems like something to turn a lot of people, including myself away

Really infinity ward? Do you want people to buy your games? First they screw up the pc version. Now this crap. Maybe, just maybe, I want to talk to my friends and not the 6 other 12 year olds on our team.
/rant

also kinda OT, but im now thinking that this was only found out "early" since the game has been leaked on the 360, which is why the source of the article comes from a user image.

This is a great feature for ranked online matches for some games. Ever since Party Chat was introduced, open chat in most team based games has gone silent.

I am for this feature.

Really infinity ward? Do you want people to buy your games? First they screw up the pc version. Now this crap. Maybe, just maybe, I want to talk to my friends and not the 6 other 12 year olds on our team.
/rant

Whats the point of a team based game where the teams dont even work together? If you encounter players you dont want to listen to, simply mute them.

how is it cheating to tell your team where the enemy is?

IW is just going for a record in how many ways they can regress gaming with one title.

Id be all for this, if every time some player sits in the same spot for a extended period of time, they automatically die.

Id be all for this, if every time some player sits in the same spot for a extended period of time, they automatically die.

He could just move 5 feet away to reset the timer and then come back to the same spot :confused:

Absolute crap. If this goes through I'll be pissed.

When I play online I'm only in party chat. I like being able to talk to my close friends about my day at work or more personal things I wouldn't say in a public game while fragging away in a CoD match. I don't care to listen to a bunch of pathetic 15 year olds trying to act all gangster and a bunch of screaming little kids.

Sigh.

this is off topic but is the pc version in stores the same day as console? next tuesday?

no dedicated servers no private chat, iw, ms and activision are really trying to remake the gaming scene what they want it to be not what the customer wants, remember only we can send a message with are buying power.

and how does this affect the pc version, since people can just connect to a private chat server and play the game, but console players can't.

Mac[X-D];1034850168 said:
this is off topic but is the pc version in stores the same day as console? next tuesday?

no dedicated servers no private chat, iw, ms and activision are really trying to remake the gaming scene what they want it to be not what the customer wants, remember only we can send a message with are buying power.

and how does this affect the pc version, since people can just connect to a private chat server and play the game, but console players can't.

Microsoft did the right thing here as they are giving developers more control of their games vs Microsoft dictating everything the devs can do.

This feature makes sense as it is what other FPS games like CS do after your dead. You can't talk to players who are still playing if your. Of course you can use another voice chat app, but that's out of the developers control. The console is an interesting platform for multiplayer FPS because cheating is a lot less of an issue. I really wish they remade CS for X360/PS3 and added mouse and KB support so you don't have to worry about cheaters (aim bots, speed, & etc) which have always been a problem on the PC.

I agree though that it would be nice if it was an option for the host to decide to enable or disable.

Why not simply fade to black and cut comms for the player that died? I think that'd be pretty effectful.

hmm I'm not sure wether its a good or a bad thing. my fear is wa will jump on this as they r really shit with voice chat in most fps games

Fine, as long as:
Party chat still takes priority. I can understand not allowing chatting while dead, but I don't want to listen to the general fucktard population, that is why I ONLY play with friends in party chat. So give me the option to mute non-party players.

If I have to hear the other players:
1. Give me the ability to mute them in the lobby.
2. Mutes are PERMANENT until intentionally undone.

In Gears 2 this is rampant. The problem is that its not a fkn problem. Both teams can join in on the party chat system and tell their guys where the other guys are. It's not like its one-sided. Also, esp. in Gears where luck has a bit to do with who wins any sort of duel, just because you know where they are doesn't mean you've got an advantage.

I think this is a ridiculously dumb idea but probably something publishers were demanding so it had to be done.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I can see valid points on each side of the argument. Since party chat came online LIVE has been pretty silent. I don't miss the screaming 13 year olds but I do miss meeting new people online with similar gaming tastes. Most of my friends don't like the same types of games I do so I look to LIVE for people to play with and talk to.

I like the idea of party chat on the 360 but I dont like how its implemented. I always get random party invites from friends playing games other than what I am currently playing and I find it stupid. I would rather be talking to people in the game. The party chat option will occasionally lag out too. I liked it with either private chat or game chat personally.

Back