Xbox media Center

Well - this weekend I managed to softmod my XBOX and install EVox/XBMC on it. I know that a couple of you are using this, so I wanted some input away from the XBOX boards.

A couple of things:

1.) are you running video from a smb share - or streaming from PC?
2.) What format(s) are you using for video?
3.) I used DVDDecryptor to rip a DVD (that I own, of course) to my PC harddrive.XBMC did not recognize it through an SMB share - so I then copied it down local to my XBOX - and it still wouldnt play. I then copied down a 720p video demo (.wmv) that I had downloaded from the new mediacenter10 site to the xbox - and it played a couple of frames and then locked up. ANy suggestions appreciated!

azBlueMach1 said:
Well - this weekend I managed to softmod my XBOX and install EVox/XBMC on it. I know that a couple of you are using this, so I wanted some input away from the XBOX boards.

A couple of things:

1.) are you running video from a smb share - or streaming from PC?
2.) What format(s) are you using for video?
3.) I used DVDDecryptor to rip a DVD (that I own, of course) to my PC harddrive.XBMC did not recognize it through an SMB share - so I then copied it down local to my XBOX - and it still wouldnt play. I then copied down a 720p video demo (.wmv) that I had downloaded from the new mediacenter10 site to the xbox - and it played a couple of frames and then locked up. ANy suggestions appreciated!

1) I use SMB Shares. more convenient for me.

2) AVI or quicktime, sometimes wmv

3) How did you rip the DVD? to ISO? I'm not sure XBMC supports that (Maybe a CVS version might)

As for HD Content, the XBox is not powerful enough to play it... so you are SOL on that matter...

XMBC dont support .wmv file due to copyright issues and M$ big fat ugly lawyers.

1) i just ftp stuff to xbox hdd.
2)divx,xvid (720p xvids look quality)
3)i think he mean he ripped the dvd with the security stuff to his hdd, if not tried playing it thru my xbox like that so ive not a clue.

xbox can cope with 720 stuff but for most 1080i stuff if you are serious about it then you should look at the modfiead xbox sold by a 3rd party compant with faster cpu fitted its next useless for games but is better suited for HD stuff.

Back