Xbox media center extender UI really laggy on wireless.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So my mom wants tv in a room where there is no cable so we bought a new xbox360 and we are using the wireless to watch tv in that room. There are no problems with the video playback, just the UI is really laggy, on my xbox which is wired there are no problems with lag at all. The router is a wireless N (150mbs I believe) router (linksys 160n something like that), and I believe the newer xbox has wireless N also. Not to sure why the UI is laggy but everything else is fine.

The 360 has wireless but it's 2.4GHz and not 5GHz. You could try different wireless channels and see if you can find one with less interference but in reality, wireless isn't good at all for video streaming.

video streams just fine, its the user interface that is really laggy. Even if you aren't watching a video just to go through the menus it is real slow.

video streams just fine, its the user interface that is really laggy. Even if you aren't watching a video just to go through the menus it is real slow.

That's because the Media Center PC is, essentially, streaming the UI to the 360. You need a wired connection for best results.

Actually the 360 runs the UI natively where as other extenders use an RDP session.

You could spend a little more and buy a router. Flash the router with tomato/DDWRT then put it into bridge mode.

This will let you connect your devices with hard wires, treating the router like a wireless card. I try to do this for all stationary devices I have which can't be easily hard wired.

The router will pick up and process signals better, serve at least 4 devices, and likely be cheaper than the wireless adapters for devices anyway.

You could spend a little more and buy a router. Flash the router with tomato/DDWRT then put it into bridge mode.

This will let you connect your devices with hard wires, treating the router like a wireless card. I try to do this for all stationary devices I have which can't be easily hard wired.

The router will pick up and process signals better, serve at least 4 devices, and likely be cheaper than the wireless adapters for devices anyway.

I have two wrt54g routers with dd-wrt, I thought about trying those, not sure if the g connection would slow it down to much? But I have giant antennas on both of them.

wrt54g's will probably give you worse performance than what you have now. My fist MC was wireless to a wired 360 and is suffered from ui lag and buffering issues.

Hmm... I really hate wireless. I would wire the room but my mom doesn't want me to tear through the walls.

Hmm... I really hate wireless. I would wire the room but my mom doesn't want me to tear through the walls.

I cheated and ran a cat6 cable down with my coaxial cable (used the coaxial cable and some strong string to pull it off + lots of packing tape).

I got what I wanted, and nobody was the wiser (except for Mom noticing the (sic) "fat telephone plug next to the TV plug.").

I have two wrt54g routers with dd-wrt, I thought about trying those, not sure if the g connection would slow it down to much? But I have giant antennas on both of them.

The G would be slower than the N, but this would only matter if connection speed is your issue and not some other wireless-related problem.
Try it and see....
Then alternatively watch the egg for a tomato/ddwrt N router to go on sale.

Back