xbox live & router troubles

jojor512

[H]ard|Gawd
I have earthlink cable internet. I recently bought a router so I could hook up my PC and xbox to the same connection. It's a d-link DI604, which is a cheap shitty router but nevertheless approved for xbox live, and I only have 2 devices connected to it.

As of now I have the cable modem connected to the WAN port and the 2 devices in the other ports. The internet on my PC works fine. I can't for the life of me,however, get it to work on the xbox, at least through the router. I can connect the modem directly to the xbox and it works great. I've even had it work momentarily on the xbox through the router if I restart the modem and router, but after a couple seconds the connection will drop.

I've tried manually assigning the DNS server, changing the MAC address to match my PC (and also the WAN one in the router config). If I leave everything on the xbox to automatic, I get an error that the DNS server cannot be found. If I add earthlink.net as a host name, the DNS server is found but xbox live cannot be found. here are my settings right now, any help would be greatly appreciated. microsoft says its an issue with my ISP or router. D-Link says its an issue with my ISP. Earthlink says its an issue with my router :(

PC:
physical address: 00-0B-DB-95-A9-88
IP: 192.168.0.100
DNS: 192.168.0.1

XBOX:
IP: 192.168.0.201 (auto)
DNS: 192.168.0.1
host name: earthlink.net
mac: this part is kind of wierd because I have the same one entered as on my PC in advanced settings, but on the network settings screen it is: 0050F2973742

any ideas?

Update the firmware on the router and set it to gaming mode.

Worst case, set the XBOX as DMZ.

thanks for the reply. i found out i have firmware version 3.51, and 3.46 or something like that is the one that is xbox live compatable, so i installed the old version and it seems to work fine now. I also took out the entry for the mac on the xbox.

Back