Xbox Live Achievements/Steam Achievements/PSN Trophies

ballistic90

2[H]4U
If all of these ceased to be tomorrow, what would your reaction be?

I've never really paid too much attention to them, but I know they mean a lot to some people. Thoughts? Opinions?

Some of the achievements people complete are truly dedicated to the game and im sure they would hate to lose that status.
Its honestly just an extra for bragging rights to people who could give 2 shits about how many achievements you earned.

Since most multiplatform games are on the PC these days my achievement score has dropped waaaaaay off in the last 2-3 years.
I have some friends that have around 100,000 that would be devastated, though.
They were the same ones that were defending everything MS did with the Xbox One, too...which is no surprise.

I personally wouldn't sweat and kind of welcome it. On the flip-side though achievements for really difficult games like Super Meat Boy does work.

dont care i feel they just add inflated gameplay time to games nowadays, either you are a player that beats the game and moves on our your a completist who has to acquire everything in that game.

Since most multiplatform games are on the PC these days my achievement score has dropped waaaaaay off in the last 2-3 years.
I have some friends that have around 100,000 that would be devastated, though.
They were the same ones that were defending everything MS did with the Xbox One, too...which is no surprise.

Yeah, but Steam does have a similar system too.

The OCD part of me hates them because there is always some crazy one thats super hard to get. At the same time they can add some replay value to games are can be very rewarding when you finally unlock a more difficult one.

The OCD part of me hates them because there is always some crazy one thats super hard to get. At the same time they can add some replay value to games are can be very rewarding when you finally unlock a more difficult one.

I don't know. For me, at best it helps direct me towards a part of the game I might have missed. At worst, I just ignore them.

I would only care about games that use achievements as "perks" like Mass Effect. Achievements that unlock added features or content are always nifty.

My reaction would be

"Oh good, they finally fixed those stupid motherfucking pointless fucking gay ass fuckbag douche-feeding pop-ups that keep interrupting my games when I do shit!"

I wouldn't care. They do give me something to laugh at, though, when I think about how obsessed some people are with them. Makes me glad to be me.

I don't really care about them either way. I do some of them as something to do. I would lean towards a positive reaction versus negative however if they were to go away and no longer be implemented due to a variety reasons ranging from development resources being tasked elsewhere to personal annoyance at certain aspects of the current system.

For the people who answered along the lines of "not caring" would you actually prefer them to go away or remain given you have to vote one way or the other?

"not caring" would you actually prefer them to go away or remain given you have to vote one way or the other?

I would rather see them go away simply because with new game i cannot stand getting *ding* everytime I do something I am suppose to do. Like use a new weapon, skill, complete a level, etc.... If you are going to give me awards give me points to unlock game specials (costumes, endings, new weapons, skins, etc.) or dont bother with your fancy funny names companies spend hours thinking them up. They also can draw you out of a game as well.

I used to care when the 360 first came out and I racked up 12000 gamer points within a year. I would actually rent easy games just to get my score up. That was in 2006/2007. It still is 12000 today because I have not cared anymore. That and I grew up.

I would rather see them go away simply because with new game i cannot stand getting *ding* everytime I do something I am suppose to do. Like use a new weapon, skill, complete a level, etc.... If you are going to give me awards give me points to unlock game specials (costumes, endings, new weapons, skins, etc.) or dont bother with your fancy funny names companies spend hours thinking them up. They also can draw you out of a game as well.

I usually notice that they get in the way of subtitles (my wife's been used to subtitles/close captioning because her mom and sister have hearing difficulties) and don't really add much to the game. Although I would enjoy trading them in for something cool.

I like achievements because it's added more replay value to many of my games. I'm not obsessed with getting every single one, but I've played through some titles a second time, or did additional exploration in a level, etc., because there was some additional achievement(s) I could earn. If they suddenly went away I'd be disappointed, but it wouldn't stop me from gaming. I'd probably put little less time into a title, but that'd be it.

My reaction would be

"Oh good, they finally fixed those stupid motherfucking pointless fucking gay ass fuckbag douche-feeding pop-ups that keep interrupting my games when I do shit!"

You can fix it yourself, by turning off the notifications (at least on the 360... I haven't checked Steam's settings).

I like achievements because it's added more replay value to many of my games. I'm not obsessed with getting every single one, but I've played through some titles a second time, or did additional exploration in a level, etc., because there was some additional achievement(s) I could earn. If they suddenly went away I'd be disappointed, but it wouldn't stop me from gaming. I'd probably put little less time into a title, but that'd be it.

You can fix it yourself, by turning off the notifications (at least on the 360... I haven't checked Steam's settings).

Hmmm... I should investigate that.

It depends on the game really. If it's a game I really love, the achievements can be bonus to an already fun experience (Half-Life series for instance). But they can also be just fluff I don't care about in the case with many games. That said, I would still miss them because I did 'work' for them, saying they're not those stupid "you have made it this far so here's a cookie" types.

I probably wouldn't even notice. Well maybe I would after a while since in some games those freaking things pop up anytime you do anything "you finished the tutorial!!!!"

I will freely admit that I'm a bit of a gamer score whore on Xbox. I have a friend who is an even bigger whore than I am. I'm at around 74k and he's at 110k. If it wasn't for him, I prolly wouldn't care much.

I've played quite a few games that I normally wouldn't have because they have easy achievements. The funny thing is, I've enjoyed the hell out of them. Also, I used to rush through games as fast as I could and once finished, I wouldn't touch it again. After achievements came out, my play style changed. I started taking my time and doing full completions. Then I would go back and play again to pick up more achievements.

There is a problem with all of this, though. Developers have started making achievements very complicated/difficult. It has gotten to the point that I have to read an achievement guide before I start to play a game. Missing an achievement pisses me off. I played through FC3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite on PC instead of Xbox and had a much more enjoyable experience because I didn't care if I missed achievements. The story was much more important than the gamer score. On the other hand, I played through Saints Row 3 and all of its DLC on Xbox and got 100% of the achievements. That felt like a huge accomplishment to me. Much more than just finishing the story.

I'm still trying to find a median between being an achievement whore and enjoying the games that I play. There are times where I just get the urge to play through an easy Pixar game and get all 1000GS. That can be a lot of fun and very satisfying. Other times, I just want to play through the latest blockbuster game and not worry about missing anything.

I use achievements as guides to hidden content in game or as currency if a certain service gives free stuff from what I've earned. I generally don't pursue completing them unless there's a really good reason to (like a special ending).

I think some people spend too much time chasing the white rabbit for barely anything satisfactory.

At the time, it's awesome instant gratification to get more and more trophies, but they're kinda useless in the end.

Pretty much my opinion on it too. I likely wouldn't care too much if they went away, however, I likewise wouldn't spend as much time on a title either if it didn't have them. Theres no doubt that they add replay value to games.

As for the people bitching about the existence of them... as said above, just turn off the notifications ;) problem solved. (you can do this on steam, xbox and ps3)

Back