Xbox Live Account "wiped" ?

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
So I haven't signed into Xbox live for about 6 months. I pick up Gears of War 3 today and decide to dust off my Xbox360 and fire it up.

I can't sign into Xbox live.

I choose my profile with 10,000 some odd gamer points that I've always used and it says that the information is invalid and tells me I have to recover gamertag.I think well that's odd, but I'll just go ahead and 'recover gamertag'. After I enter my account credentials, it tells me flat out that it's invalid. At this point I think now that's just down right strange.

So I open up my browser and sign into windows live. It's working fine... my MSN contacts are there etc. I then hop onto xbox live in the browser and it 'welcomes' me to xbox live and promptly asks for my name and a gamertag. I'm like well hell no, I already have one! And now I have 0 gamer points with no avatar and it thinks my other gamertag literally never existed.

I can 'sign in' to my old one by just disconnecting the ethernet cord and signing in via my harddrive... (avatar and all 10000 some odd gamer points in tact) but as soon as I'm connected to the internet, it will tell me that the account is invalid.

I have never: Used another xbox with my gamertag, modded my xbox, or shared my account info. While we're on that subject, let's just say hypothetically someone signed into my account elsewhere... how in the world did they just wipe out my xbox live gamertag information? Is there seriously an option to do that? I haven't seen one on the site...

What the heck happened?

EDIT: Just got off the phone with MS support... they think that someone possibly got into my account and associated the gamer tag with a different email. Everything points to that so far. They got some basic information and are currently investigating it to restore my gamertag. Not bad... we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Back