Xbox HD-DVD or Toshiba A30???

Sipster

Gawd
I can get either one for about the same price. What do you guys recommend. I have a Samsung LN-T5265F 1080p tv.

Where are you seeing 130? Cheapest that's sold recently was 180 and it had the UPC cut out so no free five.

I would get the standalone player(A30). It can do 1080p while the 360 one cannot not. Also it can decode loss audio so if one day you get a 5.1/reciever that supports it, that should be nice. Plus if your xbox is not HDMI or connected with VGA cables, you wont have the upscaling ablility, while the A30 will also upscale.

I would get the standalone player(A30). It can do 1080p while the 360 one cannot not. Also it can decode loss audio so if one day you get a 5.1/reciever that supports it, that should be nice. Plus if your xbox is not HDMI or connected with VGA cables, you wont have the upscaling ablility, while the A30 will also upscale.
The Xbox player does do 1080p.

I've read on another forum that the xbox one does not do 1080p/24......is that an important feature?

I know my tv does support it.

I have the xbox360 HD player. Looks great, sounds bad. I don't know if it's the way I have it setup but I have to crank the volume up my speakers really loud as compared to everything else.

I have the xbox360 HD player. Looks great, sounds bad. I don't know if it's the way I have it setup but I have to crank the volume up my speakers really loud as compared to everything else.
Probably you. I also have the Xbox360 player and I have all audio passed as 1.5Mb DTS and it sounds fantastic. I also had the Toshiba A2 and had it pass all audio as LPCM via HDMI to my receiver and to me the sound quality was the same as the 360's player 1.5Mb DTS.

If you don't have it set to DTS, make sure you do so

Probably you. I also have the Xbox360 player and I have all audio passed as 1.5Mb DTS and it sounds fantastic. I also had the Toshiba A2 and had it pass all audio as LPCM via HDMI to my receiver and to me the sound quality was the same as the 360's player 1.5Mb DTS.

If you don't have it set to DTS, make sure you do so
Something I've been curious about that it sounds like you might know...

I've always preferred the sound of DTS subjectively for some reason...may just be a placebo effect but it seems ever so slightly louder and richer. Does forcing that output on everything do any weird lossy conversions on DD-only sources? Or will it sound as good or better for all movies, games, music, etc?

Something I've been curious about that it sounds like you might know...

I've always preferred the sound of DTS subjectively for some reason...may just be a placebo effect but it seems ever so slightly louder and richer. Does forcing that output on everything do any weird lossy conversions on DD-only sources? Or will it sound as good or better for all movies, games, music, etc?

Regular DD won't be "upgraded" to DTS 1.5Mb. However, DD+ and Dolby True HD will be converted to DTS 1.5Mb which is inferior to DD+ and Dolby True HD. DTS 1.5Mb still sounds great as it is superior (less loss) than the DTS found in regular DVDs, but there is some loss compared to DD+ and especially Dolby True HD.

I'd be using this drive (XBOX360 HD Drive) through my PC. Will the drive work fine with an optical out to the receiver from the motherboard and still recognize the DTS 5.1?

I'm also thinking about gutting the drive and putting it into my media center, but my only question is, should I go Slim Atapi to IDE, or Slim Atapi to SATA? I was thinking SATA to avoid any possible hiccups.

My media center is:

AMD Opteron 175
2GB DDR400 ram
Asus A8N SLi Premium
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

I have the XBOX HD DVD connected up to my HTPC. I also have a PS3 that I use for blyray playing. I like the video and audio from both. But when I get a new HD DVD it is hit or miss weather it will play at all.

I use Ultra PowerDVD for playback, and not all things will play. I also have to use ANYDVD as some discs will cause the HDCP not to work properly. And I get a blanking static screen. I really wish that microsoft would just release an upgrade for Mediacenter.

For easy of use I would have to say the Toshiba would be easier. Also dont forget to factor in the cost of the software to play the discs in your computer. Powerdvd is 90$, and AnyDVD is another 65$.

The cost of the software I'm not worried about. I already have the HD playing software. from both companies. But as far as the disc compatibility goes, is it something that is just a software playback issue? Or is the compatibility really a Drive hardware issue?

Back