Xbox Game Pass: Unlimited Access to More Than 100 Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft is pulling an EA Access with a new game-subscription service called Xbox Game Pass. For $9.99 a month, you’ll get “unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games” that include Halo 5: Guardians and Gears of War. If you really like a game and wish to own it, you’ll be able to purchase the title at a discount.

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One. That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, so you can make the games you love part of your permanent library to play whenever you want. Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games. Xbox Game Pass is your ticket to endless play.

they should give you a free title of your choice to keep every 6 months.

I'm okay with these developments. At least as long as the titles aren't 90% shovelware.

I still like owning games... but for how many I buy and never play again... I am seriously torn.

This should be free with XBL Gold. More games I won't play on my long list of games I already don't play.

The shit shovelware games that we get for free every month with XBL have been awful. What's with all these shitty unity games. Give us good games!

It's a good start.

Xbox Game Pass when it launches to the broader Xbox community in late spring include, Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and SoulCalibur II.

List of confirmed publishers:

2K,
505 Games,
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment,
Capcom,
Codemasters,
Deep Silver,
Focus Home Interactive,
SEGA,
SNK CORPORATION,
THQ Nordic GmbH,
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Microsoft Studios

The list I saw on another side basically contained games that were previously Free for Gold.

Once again Microsoft is just copying other companies like EA/Origin. Never the leader, always just a copy cat.

Monstrous backlog, meet competing time-sink. It does fit my standard model of "Beat a game and never play it again" quite well though, so my family will probably partake.

Once again Microsoft is just copying other companies like EA/Origin. Never the leader, always just a copy cat.

I don't get this mentality. Should they just not do it then, because someone else had a decent idea? Pride is not a strength by any stretch. Or is this just random microsoft bashing even though they are giving consumers a requested service?

I like this better then PSNow. I would atleast rather have access to play and be rendered on a local machine then streamed. On top of that I like the idea having the option to purchase the game at a discount. I don't like how with PSNow the only option is rent or subscription.

I like this better then PSNow. I would atleast rather have access to play and be rendered on a local machine then streamed. On top of that I like the idea having the option to purchase the game at a discount. I don't like how with PSNow the only option is rent or subscription.

I do like that feature of local installations, for me it feels like some fighting games on psnow have a little lag that makes it less than enjoyable.

They are trying to compete with services like gamefly which essentially let you play unlimited games for next to nothing every month. Kids don't have 60$ to buy a new game every month for the xbox they got for xmas, but they don't mind playing a new game every month with the xmas gift subscription.

I don't get this mentality. Should they just not do it then, because someone else had a decent idea? Pride is not a strength by any stretch. Or is this just random microsoft bashing even though they are giving consumers a requested service?

I'm pretty sure rezerekted is just Formfiller's account after he got banned for trolling one too many threads. Pretty sure, but not certain...

Microsoft smells money to be made and is why they are offering the service, not because customers requested it. Yes, I am a bit of a cynic and have lost any trust in Microsoft, and a few other tech companies too.

Being first does not guarantee success, or even a good product. Oftentimes it's the "copy cats" that benefit from the originator's mistakes to make a better product and capitalize on the their missteps. Not saying it's the case with Microsoft here, just a general observation with technology in general.

Microsoft smells money to be made and is why they are offering the service, not because customers requested it. Yes, I am a bit of a cynic and have lost any trust in Microsoft, and a few other tech companies too.

Even if it's not directly money they'd see. Maybe the money for the service is just given to the game developers. All the while, they can get new consumers buying Xboxes. Sometimes up front money isn't the end goal, but obviously eventually, it'll all lead back to money somewhere.

But...that's any company. Their job is to make money and find ways to make money.

Back