Xbox Game Pass Client - phantom games stuck in client?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Xbox Game Pass Service is fantastic, but their game client sucks!

I hate it for a variety of reasons and I have a new one now that I can't figure out.

I had a small 256GB SSD for a dedicated Xbox Game Pass drive. I had two games installed on it. Forza and Microsoft Flight Simulator. It was out of space so I thought I'd buy a bigger drive and replace my 256GB SSD with a 1TB SSD.

I formatted and removed the 256GB SSD and installed a new 1TB SSD on the same cable/port. There's more to the story -- but I'm not sure it leads anywhere.
Ultimately, now those two games are phantoms in the Game Pass Client. Windows says they are installed, but I can't do anything to fix them or delete them. If I try to play them it says the drive is offline. If I try to uninstall it it says it can't find it. If I try to install it, I get an error. They are just stuck there.

Any suggestions on how to clear these games out of Game Pass?

Last edited:
I uninstalled Xbox App, deleted all the registry entries, rebooted, and re-installed Xbox app and both games are still phantoms in the app when it loads up. Neither will uninstall or install.

Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.
Forza Horizon 4 can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

There is a way to manually remove app packages from windows via CLI, however, it’s not an easy process, and you have to determine what the GUID is as that’s how it’s listed via CLI app package service. I don’t have the details, but I’ve had to do it a few years back when W10 first came out.

That or a fresh install of windows.

Back