Xbox Executive: Stick With The 360

XBOX One sales are going to be through the roof after this statement!

In all fairness, he did NOT say "stick with the Xbox 360" - the interviewer did. All he said was if you have no internet connectivity we do have an alternative for you - called Xbox 360.

It would very interesting to know factual numbers of how many active Xbox 360 systems are out there that do not use the internet. This has really become a polarizing issue. I'm not sure Microsoft is heading in the right direction with this one.

If Sony doesn't use this to their best advantage, the whole marketing dept. needs to be fired!

If people thought the red wedding in Game of Thrones was bad, wait till the meeting with Steve Ballmer next Monday for the Xbox team........

I still don't see ONE good reason why an internet connection should be mandatory for this device. MS is seriously overstepping their bounds and trying to force something that consumers don't want down their throats. I guess that's their new marketing strategy throughout the company, with Win 8 and all.

I still don't see ONE good reason why an internet connection should be mandatory for this device. MS is seriously overstepping their bounds and trying to force something that consumers don't want down their throats. I guess that's their new marketing strategy throughout the company, with Win 8 and all.

This is typical Microsoft for you. They always try to pull this off. The only reason why this is huge now is this is a first for them in this market. Since this is their 3rd console in the game and they have become a huge player they feel they can try and pull one over on us.

If people thought the red wedding in Game of Thrones was bad, wait till the meeting with Steve Ballmer next Monday for the Xbox team........

Balmer is clueless... now wait till the share holders finally get fed up and demand balmers head on the chopping block for his many many missteps. Xbone, Modern UI, windows 8,Windows RT, Surface and lets not forget the best product and only that came out with an hd radio tuner the ZUNE HD... Balmers days are numbered

Microsoft's attitude is that they know what's best for you. Which didn't work with Windows 8, but they're now pulling this shit on Xbox One. After like 6 months Xbox One will get an update to not require an online connection and will allow all games to be exchanged and resold.

Looking at this, people are talking with their wallets already. The PS4 Standard edition should pass the Day One Xbone soon.

I for one after 7 years will be making the switch. Dont need someone to tell me how I should game and where. Looks like next years Canada fishing trip will be with my PS4.

The more these MS guys keep talking, the more converts you will have. Xbone will still sell well, but not as well as the PS4 IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is typical Microsoft for you. They always try to pull this off. The only reason why this is huge now is this is a first for them in this market. Since this is their 3rd console in the game and they have become a huge player they feel they can try and pull one over on us.

I am sorry, but exactly how are they trying to "pull one over on us"? It isn't like they are lying to anyone about what they are doing. They are upfront about it. It's not like Sony where they just out and out changed their entire firmware to take away an option they had previously given as a benefit to using their system (ie, cannot install a different os on PS3 anymore) after having sold huge contracts to companies and government entities to use their systems for that exact purpose. Nor has Microsoft continually lied to the customer about breaches in security and how they are handling it.

It is so funny to see how much hate Microsoft gets for simply introducing a new product that you have a choice to buy or not buy. People get so bent out of shape over anything they think might be remotely related to DRM. I really don't see the big issue at all. There are some options to use the device offline, just not permanently. Cell phones are almost always online. Your cable boxes are always online. What is the big deal? Honestly, the biggest issue I have with it, is the used/borrowed game scenario. Even that seems reasonable given the direction the entire industry is going with downloadable games. I just wish Microsoft would adopt a policy similar to Steam with being able to gift games.

Microsoft's attitude is that they know what's best for you. Which didn't work with Windows 8, but they're now pulling this shit on Xbox One. After like 6 months Xbox One will get an update to not require an online connection and will allow all games to be exchanged and resold.

I wouldn't count on it. Anything is possible, but I have a feeling that since this is built in at the console level, they probably have contracts with publishers clearly stating that they're providing this service.

I couldn't be wrong though... but it seems completely logical.

I am sorry, but exactly how are they trying to "pull one over on us"? It isn't like they are lying to anyone about what they are doing. They are upfront about it. It's not like Sony where they just out and out changed their entire firmware to take away an option they had previously given as a benefit to using their system (ie, cannot install a different os on PS3 anymore) after having sold huge contracts to companies and government entities to use their systems for that exact purpose. Nor has Microsoft continually lied to the customer about breaches in security and how they are handling it.

It is so funny to see how much hate Microsoft gets for simply introducing a new product that you have a choice to buy or not buy. People get so bent out of shape over anything they think might be remotely related to DRM. I really don't see the big issue at all. There are some options to use the device offline, just not permanently. Cell phones are almost always online. Your cable boxes are always online. What is the big deal? Honestly, the biggest issue I have with it, is the used/borrowed game scenario. Even that seems reasonable given the direction the entire industry is going with downloadable games. I just wish Microsoft would adopt a policy similar to Steam with being able to gift games.

Trust me ask the majority of people who want an Xbox one (I am not talking about people here) and they would care less or not even know.

okey, MS! I'll also stick with Win7!

Well windows 8 is windows 7 with free awkward UI.

But this guy was clearly talking out of his ass when he says this is future proof.
I can see their servers being offline so what it bricks all the Xbox one around the world.
he says "some advantages" I say zero advantages since no one in their right mind will buy it. So for it to be always on and have some advantages means that on the slight change there is an advantage there is not any to begin with , no sales no use for online always.

Is MS trying to emulate Sony I can recall some policy makers at the launch of the PS3 making silly statements ..

I'm wondering does this ring a bell with anyone in MS ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-To7WJyWs

How the fuck can you cheer on Jack Tretton, it is like I'm in an alternate universe.

At least he didn't say "get a PS4 if you get your panties in a twist over always on DRM"

the military will be fielding ps4's if this happens ...

on nuclear subs and many more , um, places

The thing with the Bone is.

despite them touting it as a console, it isn't

it is a MEDIA COMPUTER that plays games,

tell me one thing- ONE THING- that a computer cannot do (not including kinect) that the One does currently?

the one cannot play games without installing it,
a computer cannot play games without installing
a Computer can control your TV tuner and other devices
the One can control your TV tuner and other devices
a computer can do skype in different windows while watching movies or playing games.
the one can do skype in different windows while watching movies or playing games
Most ONE games are coming to the PC.
the one can stream to other devices like phones or tablets
a computer can stream to other devices like phones or tablets

etc.

with the one, microsoft has not made a Game Console, it made a purpose built Media Computer that plays games.

it is a computer not a Console, and that is the main difference between the ONE and a PS4. the PS4 is a Game Console that can be a Media Device, you do not install games, you insert the disk and it plays the game without installation.

the DRM policy that has everyone up in arms for a GAME CONSOLE, is the Defacto Standard for software on a Computer. microsoft Forgot that Game Consoles have been defined by LAW to differentiate between console software(ie game disks) and computer software(installed software to a hard drive).

the software MS is selling for the ONE is, computer software, not Console Software, and therein lies the difference and the problem for microsoft...

the 24hr check in shit sucks balls also.

Balmer is clueless... now wait till the share holders finally get fed up and demand balmers head on the chopping block for his many many missteps. Xbone, Modern UI, windows 8,Windows RT, Surface and lets not forget the best product and only that came out with an hd radio tuner the ZUNE HD... Balmers days are numbered

I can't believe I'm saying this as I'm really not a fan of his motivational-speaker style of leadership, but it's really not Balmer's fault. It's the "services and devices" ideology that has permeated the company's leadership (which includes Balmer, but certainly isn't limited to him) which has been fully backed and supported by the share holders.

The MS rep is correct. A huge chunk of the USA doesn't have broadband internet access. So the XBOX 360 should be the logical purchase for them if they want to stay in the XBOX camp. If they don't have allegiance to MS then PS4 is your console of choice as it's new and playable without an internet connection.

I know that some gamers that have access to broadband internet aren't going to believe what I'm about to say. Where I used to live at still doesn't have Cable TV service and the only cellphone that sorta "works" is US Cellular analog service. This means zero internet access via cellphone also. We did get ADSL just before I moved and it would stay out for a week at a time. But it was only available on certain roads. I just happened to be lucky and lived beside the local Elementary School.

In my estimation either MS is either going to lobby Congress for internet access across America or going to fail hard during this generation. Good luck to them shaping America into their image of what they think the country should be like. They're going to need it. I hope they do succeed in getting internet access to all Americans. If that is the end result I won't complain about the means.

In all fairness, he did NOT say "stick with the Xbox 360" - the interviewer did. All he said was if you have no internet connectivity we do have an alternative for you - called Xbox 360.

It would very interesting to know factual numbers of how many active Xbox 360 systems are out there that do not use the internet. This has really become a polarizing issue. I'm not sure Microsoft is heading in the right direction with this one.

Yeah but how long will the 360 be supported before it's cut off?

I paid about $200 for an i3 w/ 8gb of ram and a 240gts. It could use a bit better gpu but I only use it for movies, internet and the only games are madden 2008 modded by footballfreaks and nba 2k13. Runs those just fine. No bs issues to deal with except for the 2001 purple mid tower case it is in lol.

A huge chunk of the USA doesn't have broadband internet access.

That's true, but the number of potential xbone customers in that chunk has got to be very small. I live in a rural county and apart from a very few middle-to-upper class ranchette neighborhoods like the one I'm in, it's mostly people who either couldn't afford an xbone or couldn't care less about owning one.

[quote='Asura.Squal' pid=2377995]I'm not defending their stance at all, though I do like the whole "no internet? suck it!" attitude, its humorous, but who is really going to own an Xbox One or PS4 and not have an internet connection? I can't imagine there's a lot of people running out to buy a $500 video game system but can't or won't shell out $50 a month for an internet connection. Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood the problem with requiring an internet connection.[/quote]

I have friends in the military and their connections are not the most reliable. Having a game console with them is one of many ways these servicemen/women relax out there. Requiring an online connection just to use the game console, especially if the game has to check/authenticate itself every 24 hours is in my own opinion a disservice to them.

I have friends who work and live on the road and they don't have the most reliable connection out there. One friend who lives in Arkansas is on the road 6 days a week going to places as far as Tennessee for his job. A $50 to $60 a month mobile broadband service, prepaid or not, just to use something like a 3G WiFi router is an added expense for him he cannot afford.

And, you have people who bring their game consoles during road trips. Do you expect them to have a broadband connection in the middle of Yosemite National Park or Grand Teton National Park? Starband Nova 500 starts at $49.99 a month and Hughes Net Gen4 satellite internet starts at $39.99 a month. These are, again, additional expenses.

Let's not forget natural disasters and severe weather that can knock out power for days or weeks. There is no way you'll get internet connection when the power cuts out on a central switching station in your area, and all you have is power from a backup generator.

Microsoft is catering a console that is nothing more than a gateway to online services and media center capabilities that does gaming on the side to a very small market of people. However, if that small niche of consumers also bring their consoles with them overseas due to military deployments or places where internet connection is not reliable or not available, then it's completely showing how little Microsoft is in touch with the realities of broadband internet. Not everyone lives off of $50,000 a year income, has no kids or other expenses, and has the ability to afford ISP monthly fees, Xbox Live yearly, on top of bills, food and gas. These consoles are going to still end up in the hands of low income earners (less than $20k/year) to servicemen deployed overseas to campers in the middle of Wyoming.

the military will be fielding ps4's if this happens ...

on nuclear subs and many more , um, places

This was actually a concern I had, my xbox 360 sometimes didn't see internet for 8 to 10 months at a time. I guess if I had to get one it would be the PS4 now.

lmao@xbone.

funny all this stuff about "ms always trying to do this and that" sounds just like the same stuff always said about steve jobs. Some of you guys just like to whine and complain. If it's a mistake, people will vote with their wallets. They aren't going to force you to buy it.

I must be weird or something cuz this always online thing doesn't bother me one bit. I guess I've gotten used to it playing MMOs and steam has gotten me used to it. They did say you don't need to be connected the whole time.

Anyone that has used steam you have to be connected to the internet. IIRC you have to be online first to setup offline mode. If you activate a cd key on steam you need to be connected to the internet.

I've been in the military and there are just certain things that won't be friendly to that. When I was on TDY or deployed there were times I couldn't play an MMO because of no internet.

I think microsoft may have an offline option up their sleeve as a contingency plan if things get ugly.

And yet a bunch of morons are preordering this POS anyway. I wish I could deck them all through the internet.

Look how well the always connected to internet requirement worked for Diablo III and Simcity. They NEVER had issues with that, right?:p

And yet a bunch of morons are preordering this POS anyway. I wish I could deck them all through the internet.

The few I've talked to that I know pre-ordered seem to just not give a shit. They just want their Xbox and that's that.

The few I've talked to that I know pre-ordered seem to just not give a shit. They just want their Xbox and that's that.

My friend does have issues with Xbox One and the 24-hour check-in, but when it comes to the fact that there will be game exclusives on Xbox One (and PS4 as well), she's ending up pre-ordering both consoles.

(By the way, she's single, makes $80k a year and she can afford both of them easily. :p)

I don't give a shit about check-ins, I mostly play multiplayer and my internet is rarely out (and I don't want to play my xbox in the desert or in Antarctica). I don't buy used games, I buy my games and I play my games (and my friends play their games, we aren't poor and don't need to share that shit). DRM is the same as Steam, I don't mind steam, so I don't mind that. Kinect isn't going to be some kind of NSA spying device, that's retarded to think so, as any kind of spying would involve large chunks of data being uploaded which is easy to detect and hard to hide (the Xbox would have to be on, it would be uploading 1080p video to the server... not exactly easy to hide).

You're entitled to your own opinion, don't insult mine because you're some poor sucker buying used games and connecting to the internet with a tinfoil antenna. Lol.

I have friends in the military and their connections are not the most reliable. Having a game console with them is one of many ways these servicemen/women relax out there.
I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, but the times I've been away from home and needed to zone out for a while (plane trip, or stuck at in-laws) pulling out an ipod and playing angry birds works just fine, and if they had an NES (yeah the original one) I would play that as well. Nothing says you need to have the latest and greatest system to relax/zone out.

And, you have people who bring their game consoles during road trips. Do you expect them to have a broadband connection in the middle of Yosemite National Park or Grand Teton National Park?
I'm going to say don't bring your console on a fucking road trip, where you going to plug in at Yosemite? A redwood tree? Yeah I'm sure there are people with the decked out RVs that do that shit, but there are times in life where people need to disconnect. Your kids? I'm sure they'll do just fine with any hand held to keep them occupied if they absolutely MUST have some artificial stimulation, and you're too weak willed to tell them we're going on a camping trip, ENJOY NATURE DAMNIT, that Gameboy will work fine

Let's not forget natural disasters and severe weather that can knock out power for days or weeks. There is no way you'll get internet connection when the power cuts out on a central switching station in your area, and all you have is power from a backup generator.
If there's a natural disaster and you absolutely MUST play video games, I'm sure if you play on older systems you'll survive just fine.

I can see their servers being offline so what it bricks all the Xbox one around the world.

Indeed. Do you know how tempting a target the XBone authentication servers are going to be to hacker groups??!!

Just knowing you can grief tens of hundreds of gamers, by screwing with a single server, is going to be more than irresistible. The ultimate epeen... er I mean... XBoner Troll move! :rolleyes:

But of course, the 360 is yesterday's console--the only alternative is a PS4 for people who don't want to be tethered to the Internet in order to play their games. Hopefully, since both of these consoles are more like anemic PC gaming systems than anything else (although the PS4 gpu is 50% more powerful than the xb1's) more people will go with PCs for gaming--the PC gaming platform is by far the best.

You're entitled to your own opinion, don't insult mine because you're some poor sucker buying used games and connecting to the internet with a tinfoil antenna. Lol.

I'm not even close to poor. I could preorder multiples of each of these systems without having to keep a credit card balance. I just happen to realize that my consumer rights are more important than any exclusive game Xbox will ever get. Halo? lol.. I'm not 13, and I couldn't care less about that crap.

Back