XBox as media extender

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to "extend my media" from my living room ro mt bedroom. I have an HTPC running WinVista and mymovies. I also have an XBox (not 360) with the remote control. Is it just a matter of plugging it in and connecting it to the network to get it to act as a media extender? I'd just plug it in and find out, but I don't have the cables yet. I'll need to search Ebay.

Doing some googling, I see mention of a "XBox Media Center Disc", but I don't have one, nor did I ever have one (that I know of).

Just booted up my original xbox, and i dont see any menu options for media center, so its likely you need a disk.

I also don't think win7 supports the original xbox as an extender, so vista might not either.

Last edited:
That's exactly the info I needed. Any idea where I can get the software? Send that's the only missing link.

The HP works w/o any software for Windows 7 MCE. Just turn it on, click the green button on the remote, go to your Media center and get the 7 digit code, go back to the HP and type it in to pair it.

just like pairing a bluetooth device. Takes a minute and your done.

Note that these extend the Windows Media Center UI and experience, not the Windows desktop.

The 360, despite the noise, is generally considered the best extender available. The forums at thegreenbutton.com are a pretty good source of info for all things media center.

I want to say that I have a copy of the original xbox media center disk around here somewhere. But 1, I'm not sure about that and 2, my wife probably has it hidden in a box in the attic - making me want to be darn sure about 1 before I start looking for it.

Well the Xbox 360 is the *only* extender still manufactured today. But it is far from the quietest. In a bedroom environment, a 360 just doesn't cut it and I've tried every version of them. The latest ones are quieter, but far from silent.

Back