Xbox Apps (and Some Other Windows Store Apps) Won't Open!

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

When I open the Xbox (beta) app from Windows Store or the xbox companion app from Windows Store it flashes up then closes itself. I just bought Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate and when I try to run it, it says I must be signed in. The thing is, because the xbox app isn't loading, I can't actually sign in.

I've done all kinds of things to fix it such as resetting the windows store, resetting/reinstalling the xbox apps. I ran sfc /scannow. I even downloaded the xbox app from their website and installed but it doesn't open, it closes itself a few seconds after I launch it.

Event Viewer says this:

Code:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.GamingApp_2006.2001.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.Xbox.App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"2147942402"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingApp_2006.2001.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\XboxPcApp.exe" -ServerName:Microsoft.Xbox.App.AppXqq7rzt1gkb5kpcpszh37b7p6x61mdkks.mca

and

Code:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.XboxApp_48.65.22001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.XboxApp.AppX838f5jjq4n8fh0pd4ps0jjkrvg65ed06.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"2147942402"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:Microsoft.XboxApp.AppXf74jmpwd42x7vxttda454sh29n0qpb8x.mca

When I boot up my PC I am presented with two errors:

Errors.png

and I seem to have multiple duplicate files for the same apps in the WindowsApps folder:

111.png

Also the calculator from the Windows Store now doesn't seem to be working (just like the xbox app, it will flash open then force close itself) Event Viewer gives this error:

Code:
Fault bucket 1357691735355202906, type 5
Event Name: POFContextAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1910.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 10.1910.0.0
P4: 0x802b000a
P5: 90a99344a95798333d2365ce1d372393
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Please can someone help? Maybe someone can remote assist me and fix this?

Last edited:
I had a similar issue. Supposedly the cache can get corrupted, so using wsreset is supposed to fix it. Unfortunately it did not work for me, so I ended up just reinstalling the store from PowerShell.

I would try wsreset, first, and the restart. In a Run command window just type wsreset.

If that doesn't work then use this script in PowerShell to reinstall the store:
Code:
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsStore*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

I had a similar issue. Supposedly the cache can get corrupted, so using wsreset is supposed to fix it. Unfortunately it did not work for me, so I ended up just reinstalling the store from PowerShell.

I would try wsreset, first, and the restart. In a Run command window just type wsreset.

If that doesn't work then use this script in PowerShell to reinstall the store:
Code:
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsStore*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

I get red text saying:

Code:
PowerShell : = : The term '=' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
At line:1 char:1
+ PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Ge ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (= : The term '=...ram. Check the :String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:5
+ & { = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsStore*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManife ...
+     ~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I get red text saying:

Code:
PowerShell : = : The term '=' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
At line:1 char:1
+ PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Ge ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (= : The term '=...ram. Check the :String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:5
+ & { = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsStore*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManife ...
+     ~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
Oops, sorry. You want to put the script into an elevated command prompt (run as administrator).

Inside PowerShell the script should be:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

It says in Powershell now this:

Code:
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF0, Package could not be opened.
error 0x80070002: Opening file from location: AppxManifest.xml failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 12bbacb3-4f02-0002-6dbe-bb12024fd601 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 12bbacb3-4f02-0002-6dbe-bb12024fd601
At line:1 char:61
+ ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Are you running PowerShell as an administrator? If not, try again after elevating your the program's privileges.

If that doesn't work, try this script first:
Code:
set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
Type Y and press enter afterward.

Then try the installation script again:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If it still fails, your installation may be too far gone to recover. Try removing the store with the uninstall script in PowerShell (note that when you do this you'll have to reinstall all your store apps):
Code:
Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage
This script finds and removes any package with the string "windowsstore" in its description.

Then use the install script above once more.

If it still fails after all that, your installation may be overall borked, so I would recommend a complete reinstall of Windows.

Yes, I did run Powershell (and CMD) with administrator privileges. I've tried everything you said and it still says the error I gave above about AppxManifest.xml not being found. My windows is corrupt and nothing I am trying is helping. I now have no Windows Store at all. I think I am going to have to reinstall Windows. How do I do this without a Windows 10 CD? Can I use the Media Creation tool from within Windows?

Back