XBox and surround sound woes

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I just recently nabbed an Onkyo RC260 (same as the 608 for the most part) and I'm TRYING to get it to play nice with my XBox now. I've got the slim model with HDMI on it, and I'm using HDMI from XBox -> Onkyo -> TV. I've also set the sound output to digital surround.

Now, here's my problem: my reciever reports it is only getting 2.0 audio from the XBox (PCM 48KHz, 2.0 channels) when playing games (Mass Effect 2 currently) - how do I get the XBox to actually output 5 channel audio?

When I go into a DVD movie (Watchmen for example) I do get 5.1 Dolby Digital - how on earth do I get games to go 5.1? Is this just impossible or something?

Thanks!
RA

RESOLVED: Go into settings, change setting from Dolby Suround to Dolby Sterio; exit settings. Go back into settings, put to Dolby Surround again...and poof, 5.1 audio output from your xbox.

Glad you found it. I had the same problem a while back. It was kinda' frustrating.

same for me, randomly you need to go back in there, it seemed to be every time for me but now its only randomly.

never had a sound problem with my new xbox 360 slim. but im using hdmi for video only. toslink for digital sound to the receiver. always comes out in thundering 5.1. makes more sense to me even if i did have an hdmi receiver, since toslink cables are smaller, cheaper and xbox doesnt output HD audio anyway.

If you use your receiver for component switching, HDMI is a godsend. Behind my entertainment center no longer looks like a plate of spaghetti. I LOVE HDMI, now if they'll go to a system with smaller, tighter-fitting cables, it would be perfection.

I was experiencing the exact same issue, for but a competely different reason. In my case, the cause of the issue turned out to be one of timing, in that my Denon AVR 1910 wasn't "booting" quickly enough to establish a proper HDMI handshake when both it and the XBOX were turned on in succession. I've found that I need to wait a good 5-6 seconds to boot up the XBOX after turning on my AVR. Doing so allows the handshake to take place, and the AVR receives a proper DD signal from the XBOX.

Back