Xbox and other quality signals -> 2005FPW questions

n64man120

2[H]4U
I'm debating only bringing my 2005FPW to college rather than a television screen as well. Right now playing xbox games on the 2005FPW looks like utter crap, which can be attributed to the composite cable I am using. I've seen the Xbox2VGA cable, along with the ones on Lik Sang which will take any component video signal and convert them to VGA. My questions

When Xbox, next-gen systems, etc, are converted to my monitor, what resolutions will they run at? Will it still be a smaller res than the native 1680x1050, and cause the image to have to be stretched larger? I'm not talking about 4x3 vs 16x9, but size in general. How nice should this picture look? I'm concerned since my monitors native res is so large.

Also, I see alot of other Xbox to VGA converters on ebay and such, which are going for alot less. $20 perhaps? Do they significantly lack the quality of Xbox2VGA? Are they not capable of displaying the same resolutions? I'm curious since these seem alot cheaper.

I'm also considering the xbox only converison box, or a generic component cable one, but thats mainly something I just have to decide.

What do you think?

i typically believe int he "you get what you pay for" approach. while it's not always true (Monster cable), it is a good rule. as for how it will look, I don't know for sure, but it is supposed to be decent.

That's usually true, although not always. I guess I'm treading in slightly untraveled waters since theres alot of threads on here about this, and all of them have 0 replies :rolleyes:

I'm sure it'll look better, but will it look nice enough to justifiy the $60 bucks. Maybe someone out there has experience?

yeah, most people decide not to take the chance. I want someone to do it to satisfy my curiousity.

Im taking the same approach as you, im taking my home theater stuff to my dorm (minus the video components since they weigh a ton) to hook up to my 2005fpw...

I think for the xbox you can get whatever adaptar they have that puts s-video out, i'd assume that would be a lot better than the composite input...

I think im going to just plug everything into my receiver and do s-video out to my 2005fpw...
I should be able to post back tomorrow and tell you how it is...

Yea let me know. But S-Video is still a tiny signal 640x480 or whaterver, so once they stretches to native res I can't see it being anything but crap. Let me know please however, especially if you can compare it to a composite signal.

I have the x2vga+ and enjoy every minute of it. It displays at the resolution of the game (720i, 720p, etc). It is better quality than a cheap knockoff as it gives you a true hi def image, as opposed to many that just scale the image resolution up. The only downside is that 5% of the games will not display properly. If you have a modded xbox there may be hacks for this 5%. Go to the xbox-scene forums for more information

What size monitor are you running on it? Isn't 720p still a relatively small resolution, compared to 1680x1050, so it would have to stretch still?

n64man120 said:
What size monitor are you running on it? Isn't 720p still a relatively small resolution, compared to 1680x1050, so it would have to stretch still?

Sure it would have to strech it but streching a native 480i signal to 1680X1050 gets alot more distorted than a 1024~X768~ (720p) native signal. Reason being is two fold, first you already have more data to work with with the higher res. Secondly you don't have to strech it quite as far to meet the 16080X1050 native resolution(ie full screen) of the 2005FPW.

Back