Xbox 720 next year...your hardware predictions?

So now lets say you are out with some friends and you all decide to go to your place and hammer on some FIFA 2012 (insert game of choice here). You boot up the system and find an update, you install it and then find out it borked the games performance. Done, it's over, your friends aren't going to be interested in watching you tinker with your cobbled up "gaming computer thingy". They will make fun and laugh and make remarks about how they don't have this problem with a PS3 or Xbox 360, which is true. You will go on and on about your superior graphics while you go try to troubleshoot this annoying bug. Meanwhile your friends have decided to go to another guys house where he has a console which has four wireless controllers and in less than two minutes of being turned on drops all four guys into a game of Halo Co-Op multiplayer......

e54fc304.gif

consoles LIMIT everything, they limit design, GFX, phsx, MP etc, etc, they're aimed at simple minded folk and kids.

consoles LIMIT everything, they limit design, GFX, phsx, MP etc, etc, they're aimed at simple minded folk and kids.

So I assume you use Linux? Walk everywhere because getting a car would make things a lot more simple. Cook everything over a fire because an electric/gas stove would be too easy.

Excuse me, a game is a game. If the graphics don't look as pretty, it hardly matters, the game is still the same.

Excuse me, a game is a game. If the graphics don't look as pretty, it hardly matters, the game is still the same.

GFX aren't the only thing though are they, but hey, you'll tolerate almost anything.

Well with the Xbox 720 being announced next year along with a probable release sometime 4th quarter 2012/1st quarter 2013 what are your predictions as to the hardware that will be in this beast?

I know that someone from ATI said we could expect "Avatar quality graphics"...now considering that consoles run HIGHLY optimized engines and code what do we have now that could do this? I was talking to a friend of mine and he guessed that something like a GTX560ti/6870 could possibly deliver such graphics. I however am guessing by the Unreal 4 Engine tech demo that to do something like that at 1080p even on 90-100% optimized hardware would require at least a 6970 or GTX580 to run perfectly smooth.

Also on the topic of graphics, I was reading a OLD Computer Gaming Monthly magazine from years ago and they had an article showing off the "new" Unreal 3 Engine...the writer said the PC used to show it off was using dual Nvidia 6800 Ultras to acheive the 30fps the demo was running at. Now you look at current consoles and the Xbox 360 has a ATI X1900 type GPU...which is roughly twice as fast (if not faster?) that dual 6800 Ultras...so can we assume that since the Unreal 4 tech demo was using dual GTX480's that the next generation consoles will be using a GPU roughtly the same speed a two GTX480's? That would be my guess...ESPECIALLY if the next-gen consoles are most likely going to be fully 3D ready...you'd need a pretty powerful GPU to pull off Unreal 4 like graphics in stereoscopic 3D at 1080p and up resolutions.

As far as the rest of the hardware we all know that the next Xbox is going to have Blu-Ray...I highly doubt Microsoft will try a proprietary format nor will they stick with DVD again. Hard drive storage? I still see mechanical drives being the main medium here still, as even cheap 64GB SSD are still $100+. With next gen consoles probably being more media-centric than ever I see them shipping with 100's of GB worth of storage, which just isn't possible with current SSD prices.

RAM? Who knows really...will they have 2GB DDR5? 4GB DDR3? Something entirely different like what AMD is doing with RAMBUS? I would say based on current consoles (both having 512MB) that next gen, if pushing 3D and 1080p (or higher) I would think that nothing less than 4GB would be used here...especially considering how low RAM prices are now it would be crazy if they didn't.

Processor is something that should be interesting! Will Microsoft decide to go with a standard x86 architecture or go with something out of the ordinary like a Cell processor or perhaps something like the new Intel 50-core (Larrabee :-p ). I'm thinking that with the high-end GPU that will most likely be used we're looking at a 6 to 8 core processor...possibly with multiple threads...to help in not bottlenecking the GPU.

What about things like physics? I feel next-gen will be a major leap forward when it comes to physics...water, cloth, soft-bodies, A.I...will it be a CPU thing? Perhaps OpenCL (since ATI is doing the GPU)? Or maybe it'll be done on an entirely seperate co-processor?

However, despite all this, a part of me also feels like Microsoft doesn't want to lose money on every console for a while like they did with the 360. That part of me feels like we might end up with more humble consoles (Wii U-ish) and not so much a major technological leap forward like we experienced with say the Playstation 2 to Playstation 3.

I don't know...these are all just guesses, and sorry for the long post! I just enjoy, like any [H]ard member should, talking about these types of things!

So what are your predictions?

it wont get released next year. where did u hear this from?

So I assume you use Linux? Walk everywhere because getting a car would make things a lot more simple. Cook everything over a fire because an electric/gas stove would be too easy.

What a stupid post mat to compare cooking, cars and operating systems to games :rolleyes:

ok so if graphics dont look pretty then why dont u carry on playing playstation 1 games. no need to buy the current consoles because graphics hardly mater right?

There's allot of talk (google 'xbox 720') about it being released for CES next year. Sounds optimistic to me but tech rumours have a habit of being right most of the time...

CES? when is CES?

anyways what will that mean for games like GTA5? will that come out on this new xbox? if it doesnt that would be a missed opptunity by rockstar.

if it does come out, how would it fair against the 360 and ps3 version? PC version would be on par with the "720" version

Consumer Electronics Show, January the 10-13th. Maybe announced, but not released, no way! And they would be fools not to wait for 28nm chips to be available and given the 1 billion MS lost due to fixing the red ring of death fault, I think they will be more cautious this time.

No one knows the spec, it is just guessing right now.

There are many rumors from big-time sites and the like that the Xbox 3/Xbox 720/Nextbox/ Xbox Loop will be shown at the 2012 CES...so assuming they show it off at CES that would mean that hardware and design is near complete or finished...so I don't think 2012 is a way off prediction...and like I said in the first post, either 2012 or Q1 2013.

Seems about right/fair to me!

Thanks joe, btw i hurd the ps4 and xbawks gona be all 3d. Probably gona have one of them gtx8000's too at least thats what some guy i met on a bus told me, but I figured it was probably relevant to this discussion.

Good job showing everyone you're an asshole...maybe I haven't been around enough and everyone already knows?! Oh and again, thanks for being useless!

KEEP UP THE GOODWORK!!! I BET YOUR PARENTS ARE PROUD!!!

Console guy said:
intelligent post about how consoles are relevant and have some advantages over PCs and as a matter of opinion can be prefered

PC guy said:
haha listen to this guy

Console guy said:
intelligent post about how consoles are relevant and have some advantages over PCs and as a matter of opinion can be prefered

What a fag lolilolililoloolololol

Annother PC guy said:
PC guy said:
What a fag lolilolililoloolololol

Man, you're my hero. I agree with you thus I praise your post and I respect you so much!
Our community

My guess would be a token Blu Ray drive but a target towards more cloud. If you think about it, Origin, Steam Blizzard and Amazon are doing all D2D. It may alienate some people to go full monty, hence the drive will remain at first. But down the road in the product cycle, I would expect some games would be exclusive D2D. All three systems have token online stores already...

Microsoft is pushing cloud, even with Office. It would almost be foolish not to have a repository built for content delivery to cut manufacturing costs and attract outside customers (i.e, movie studios, music studios, etc.). I suspect we'll also see some more 'same day as the theater' releases this time around. Apple has an App store for Lion and Snow Leapord, you can bet that Microsoft would want something similar for Windows 8. I would suspect that this next xbox would tie in with Windows 8 similarly to how iOS does with the main stream Apple OS's. With the next xBox, they would have a livingroom widget, the way the iPod,iPad,iPhone is for Apple

This would allow Microsoft to kill 2 birds with one stone and would help jump off a spin off industry that will help deliver their software for mainline PC's (and Win 8 based tablets, mobile gaming) in the future. They can deliver games for the xbox and the PC simultaneously. Its a no brainer. That being said, this has more potential to slam Sony and Nintendo than any hardware pissing contest. Its doubtful Sony will be able to deliver a service with the same quality Microsoft can, though media exclusives libraries from Sony studios would help a lot.

Also, consider Apple is designing a high def television for the living room that will undoubtedly tie into the iTunes library. Some of the iOS games are pretty impressive considering. This HAS to be the way the industry is moving toward. The question is...can Microsoft pull it off as well as Apple who has a TREMENDOUS head start?

Its just rumor at this point, started from some rumor that certain developers are already getting systems build from PC components that matches the spec of the next xbox, with the actual development kit coming out very soon. Sites like Gamespot are starting to speculate that we'll hear about it next year with a possibility of hitting the market for the holiday season next year.

Perhaps the only thing that's true at this point is that major developers are already (or will be) getting the hardware for development, but that doesn't mean we'll see it next year.

Personally, I don't believe we'll see it in the market next year. Unless one believe that the gaming company can develop a new game for a new platform in less than 1 year time to be ready for a 2012 holiday season launch.

It will be roughly equivalent to whatever a decent gaming PC is at the time of release only it will cost a lot less because they make there profits on games not hardware. Then after a year or two PCs will catch/ eclipse it in power/cost.

Microsoft is pushing cloud, even with Office. It would almost be foolish not to have a repository built for content delivery to cut manufacturing costs and attract outside customers (i.e, movie studios, music studios, etc.). I suspect we'll also see some more 'same day as the theater' releases this time around. Apple has an App store for Lion and Snow Leapord, you can bet that Microsoft would want something similar for Windows 8.

Windows 8 will have an integrated marketplace for apps.

Although I have a feeling this is going to lead to another round of anti-trust sanctions/litigation down the line.

MS has wanted to do this for a long time but most likely but couldn't due to potential anti-trust issues. Look at how much problems they had bundling free software with windows (notably IE).

Actually they are plug n play, once in a while there is a title update or dashboard update, it automatically downloads which takes a minute tops and relaunches the game. I never have to fuss with operating system and driver compatibility or bugs. Look here in these forums, thread after thread about some driver bug or another specific to a game. I don't have to deal with any of that, I turn it on and its ready to go. Many times pc updates can be this painless but many times it is a bit more involving. You find out the latest game patch you installed now causes performance issues with your particular video card or driver.....so you have to take the time to figure that out, here or through other channels. So you find out you need to also roll your video card driver back in order to resolve it. So you spend time uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling a video card driver, then have to go test your game again.....ad nauseum....

So now lets say you are out with some friends and you all decide to go to your place and hammer on some FIFA 2012 (insert game of choice here). You boot up the system and find an update, you install it and then find out it borked the games performance. Done, it's over, your friends aren't going to be interested in watching you tinker with your cobbled up "gaming computer thingy". They will make fun and laugh and make remarks about how they don't have this problem with a PS3 or Xbox 360, which is true. You will go on and on about your superior graphics while you go try to troubleshoot this annoying bug. Meanwhile your friends have decided to go to another guys house where he has a console which has four wireless controllers and in less than two minutes of being turned on drops all four guys into a game of Halo Co-Op multiplayer......

I have no problem giving up some detail in exchange for this level of convenience. A classy home theater case and quality fans and aftermarket heatsinks will set you back a few hundred bucks, especially when I want it as quiet and as compact as the 360slim is. You can make all the arguments you want but doing what you propose goes far beyond a $200 console purchase which you simply jack in and use. I am perfectly aware that if I was willing to spend loads more money and time I could manage to pull it together. I have MAYBE an hour of game time a week. Why would I spend all that extra time and money putting all that together, having to deal with all that bullshit?

Setting up, maintaining and using a pc like a console is more expensive, more time consuming, less convenient, and simply less socially acceptable. My last vehicle purchase cost less than many people's gaming computers to put things in perspective.

Agree++

When I joined i was into things like that, I had a pc on my tv at one time, i have had the water cooled pc and voltmodded video cards.....I've been doing it all for years. This is a discussion about the hardware in the future consoles. Back when I joined I was in the same frame of mind as most of you here in this thread, that pc gaming was far superior. I had never even owned a console......fast forward 6+ years later, I now have two kids, and more responsibilities. I ended up trying out a Xbox360 right after launch and realized that the new consoles CAN provide an acceptable level of quality with none of the annoying issues that come with a computer setup. I weighed them out and decided to grow up and move past spending so much time and money on the extreme geeky side of things and decided it was time to go with the most convenience. So now all I need is my couch, my HDTV and my controller.

I think most of you here will be severely disappointed in the next console specs. They simply do not need to go extreme with specs because what we have today is still damn impressive to most people.

Thank you for describing me perfectly. Agree+++

Microsoft already made a statement that said there will be no Xbox 720 in 2012, so this is a pointless topic

Windows 8 will have an integrated marketplace for apps.

Although I have a feeling this is going to lead to another round of anti-trust sanctions/litigation down the line.

MS has wanted to do this for a long time but most likely but couldn't due to potential anti-trust issues. Look at how much problems they had bundling free software with windows (notably IE).

Apple does it, i doubt they would have much of a problem...

Huh? They both already do this and have a few games that are 1080p native.
Why wouldn't they be able to? Of course they will. Prolly not 100% of the games, but much closer than this generation for sure.

Either way, all next gen consoles better have 1080p capabilities, minimum, for me to show any sort of interest. This generation has been disappointment on all consoles, for me at least. Definitely the worst console generation in memory, PC owns all this gen. Lets see what happens, but I'm not optimistic.

Why?

because most console games struggle at the moment to achieve 1280x720 in fact some are at 640p, lets be generous and say that all mainstream games run at 720p, that's 921,600 pixels.

1920x1080 (1080p) is 2,073,600 pixels, that's over twice as large, that means they will need approximately double the GPU speed just to render today's games (and by todays games I mean games from 6 years ago) at the higher resolution, before they even consider adding other effects to make the game use newer technology.

The same thing will happens as always, they will release with technology that is mid-high end on the PC at the time, we have AMDs 7xxx series refresh in 2012 Q1 and AMD won the bid for both new consoles so a reasonable guess at this stage is the console GPUs will likely be very slightly more specialized versions of their 7xxx GPUs.

I'd be willing to bet that if you picked up the flagship card for the 7xxx range in early 2012 that would be about the power you'll see in the next gen consoles assuming they release some time next year.

I expect Bluray as standards, internal hard drives as standards, I find it unlikely they'll shoot for SSDs as that will drive up the price too harshly and I don't think the technology is quite mature enough to be trusted in a console. Probably offer decent sized spindle drives, 500Gb at least I expect probably just shoot for 1Tb as they're so cheap.

Memory I'd expect to go to 4Gb since it's so cheap these days. And like a multi-core CPU at least quad core potentially with some kind of equivelent to hyperthreading to create more virtual cores to encourage more threading for games.

Whatever it is it wont beat high end PCs at the time, it will likely be somewhat behind the best video cards, and obviously with crossfire and SLI PCs will already have double/tripple/quadruple the speed options available to those with the cash.

I would be very surprised if a console released in the next 12 months beat my PC as it is now, specs in sig.

Microsoft already made a statement that said there will be no Xbox 720 in 2012, so this is a pointless topic

It's no surprise that comps keep their next hardware refresh as close to their chests as possible as to not hurt sales of their current tech; if MS or Sony were to announce today then their respective system sales would hurt.

Also; they could call it the Xbox 720p. Therefore their statement is true :)

Personally I'm more intrigued as to what Sony have in the bag.

Apple does it, i doubt they would have much of a problem...

Even itunes (which I believe is the market Apple has the highest market share in) doesn't have the market share MS has with windows. And itunes has faced anti-trust issues as well, and I believe they currently under investigation?

MS has traditionally been a anti-trust issue magnet, they have only just recently left anit-trust oversight in the US (this year) stemming from I believe originally bundling IE.

I have doubts whether MS never bundled/incorporated something similar to the Apple Appstore or Steam with windows simply because they didn't think of it.

Announced at E3 2012, as well as info on launch titles and to hit stores during the 2013 holiday season.

Will be more nerfed and casual and ever so more consoley than a console has consoled before.

That being said, i'm sure the new consoles will be killer on launch graphically. The 360 was certainly no slouch five years ago.

Even itunes (which I believe is the market Apple has the highest market share in) doesn't have the market share MS has with windows. And itunes has faced anti-trust issues as well, and I believe they currently under investigation?

MS has traditionally been a anti-trust issue magnet, they have only just recently left anit-trust oversight in the US (this year) stemming from I believe originally bundling IE.

I have doubts whether MS never bundled/incorporated something similar to the Apple Appstore or Steam with windows simply because they didn't think of it.

What you say is true...however, I doubt anything will come out of the iTunes investigation. And I can't see Microsoft not getting it done either, unless somehow windows 8 blocks out other D2D and apps. xbox would probably be more proprietary. But I would doubt if they have an optical drive as an alternative installation method there can be much fault found.

What you say is true...however, I doubt anything will come out of the iTunes investigation. And I can't see Microsoft not getting it done either, unless somehow windows 8 blocks out other D2D and apps. xbox would probably be more proprietary. But I would doubt if they have an optical drive as an alternative installation method there can be much fault found.

Oh I don't disagree that they will get it done. I'm just skeptical on the point that people seem to think MS is only thinking about doing this now to follow companies like Apple.

At the same time I can also see the potential future anti-trust complaint if this does get successfully rolled out.

some more rumours here.

Rumor: Microsoft developing two next-gen Xbox 720 consoles.

Microsoft could be preparing two gaming consoles to replace the current-generation Xbox 360, according to industry sources. It is believed that the new consoles could arrive sometime in 2013 which would give Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) ample time to test and refine their 28nm manufacturing process.

Redmond is said to be developing an entry-level system as well as a true next-generation hardcore gaming console. Multiple consoles aren't a new idea as Microsoft sells the 360 at multiple price ranges but the differences typically are minimal: various capacity hard drives, limited edition offerings and game and accessory bundles....

Consoles are trying to become more like PCs more and more everyday. Now, consoles will also suffer from "fragmentation" as with PCs. Developers will struggle with developing console games for the lower and higher-end systems which may differ most likely in storage but perhaps other factors as well such as RAM, etc. The ones with a high-end Xbox 720 with 500gb hard drives will complain the ones with 8gb of flash memory in their budget 720 are holding them back in game development. :p

Back