Xbox 720 next year...your hardware predictions?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Well with the Xbox 720 being announced next year along with a probable release sometime 4th quarter 2012/1st quarter 2013 what are your predictions as to the hardware that will be in this beast?

I know that someone from ATI said we could expect "Avatar quality graphics"...now considering that consoles run HIGHLY optimized engines and code what do we have now that could do this? I was talking to a friend of mine and he guessed that something like a GTX560ti/6870 could possibly deliver such graphics. I however am guessing by the Unreal 4 Engine tech demo that to do something like that at 1080p even on 90-100% optimized hardware would require at least a 6970 or GTX580 to run perfectly smooth.

Also on the topic of graphics, I was reading a OLD Computer Gaming Monthly magazine from years ago and they had an article showing off the "new" Unreal 3 Engine...the writer said the PC used to show it off was using dual Nvidia 6800 Ultras to acheive the 30fps the demo was running at. Now you look at current consoles and the Xbox 360 has a ATI X1900 type GPU...which is roughly twice as fast (if not faster?) that dual 6800 Ultras...so can we assume that since the Unreal 4 tech demo was using dual GTX480's that the next generation consoles will be using a GPU roughtly the same speed a two GTX480's? That would be my guess...ESPECIALLY if the next-gen consoles are most likely going to be fully 3D ready...you'd need a pretty powerful GPU to pull off Unreal 4 like graphics in stereoscopic 3D at 1080p and up resolutions.

As far as the rest of the hardware we all know that the next Xbox is going to have Blu-Ray...I highly doubt Microsoft will try a proprietary format nor will they stick with DVD again. Hard drive storage? I still see mechanical drives being the main medium here still, as even cheap 64GB SSD are still $100+. With next gen consoles probably being more media-centric than ever I see them shipping with 100's of GB worth of storage, which just isn't possible with current SSD prices.

RAM? Who knows really...will they have 2GB DDR5? 4GB DDR3? Something entirely different like what AMD is doing with RAMBUS? I would say based on current consoles (both having 512MB) that next gen, if pushing 3D and 1080p (or higher) I would think that nothing less than 4GB would be used here...especially considering how low RAM prices are now it would be crazy if they didn't.

Processor is something that should be interesting! Will Microsoft decide to go with a standard x86 architecture or go with something out of the ordinary like a Cell processor or perhaps something like the new Intel 50-core (Larrabee :-p ). I'm thinking that with the high-end GPU that will most likely be used we're looking at a 6 to 8 core processor...possibly with multiple threads...to help in not bottlenecking the GPU.

What about things like physics? I feel next-gen will be a major leap forward when it comes to physics...water, cloth, soft-bodies, A.I...will it be a CPU thing? Perhaps OpenCL (since ATI is doing the GPU)? Or maybe it'll be done on an entirely seperate co-processor?

However, despite all this, a part of me also feels like Microsoft doesn't want to lose money on every console for a while like they did with the 360. That part of me feels like we might end up with more humble consoles (Wii U-ish) and not so much a major technological leap forward like we experienced with say the Playstation 2 to Playstation 3.

I don't know...these are all just guesses, and sorry for the long post! I just enjoy, like any [H]ard member should, talking about these types of things!

So what are your predictions?

I doubt even those consoles will render at 1080p. More like 1360x768 and upscale.

Same thing is going to happen that always happens. The software will keep evolving, PC hardware will keep evolving, and consoles will be left in the dust.

I doubt even those consoles will render at 1080p. More like 1360x768 and upscale.

Huh? They both already do this and have a few games that are 1080p native.
Why wouldn't they be able to? Of course they will. Prolly not 100% of the games, but much closer than this generation for sure.

Either way, all next gen consoles better have 1080p capabilities, minimum, for me to show any sort of interest. This generation has been disappointment on all consoles, for me at least. Definitely the worst console generation in memory, PC owns all this gen. Lets see what happens, but I'm not optimistic.

Huh? They both already do this and have a few games that are 1080p native.
Why wouldn't they be able to? Of course they will. Prolly not 100% of the games, but much closer than this generation for sure.

Either way, all next gen consoles better have 1080p capabilities, minimum, for me to show any sort of interest. This generation has been disappointment on all consoles, for me at least. Definitely the worst console generation in memory, PC owns all this gen. Lets see what happens, but I'm not optimistic.

really, the worst generation in memory? lol i hate consoles just as much as the next pc gamer but seriously give me a break, both the 360 and the ps3 were at the cutting edge of technology when they were released. what the hell do you expect them to do? release a new console every year just to keep you happy. thats not how consoles work and they never have.

Well with the Xbox 720 being announced next year along with a probable release sometime 4th quarter 2012/1st quarter 2013 what are your predictions as to the hardware that will be in this beast?

I know that someone from ATI said we could expect "Avatar quality graphics"...now considering that consoles run HIGHLY optimized engines and code what do we have now that could do this? I was talking to a friend of mine and he guessed that something like a GTX560ti/6870 could possibly deliver such graphics. I however am guessing by the Unreal 4 Engine tech demo that to do something like that at 1080p even on 90-100% optimized hardware would require at least a 6970 or GTX580 to run perfectly smooth.

no they wouldn't really. sure if you wanted to run 8x MSAA then yeah you would need a 6970. but consoles don't. hell even the xbox 360 uses AA in some games. the difference is in the optimization and coding. if they have been able to do what they are now on a 360 which only has 512mb of shared memory and i think its 8mb of xddr or what ever the heck its called thats used for AA, i'm pretty sure the new xbox will be able to handle high end graphics and AA with the rumored 2GB of shared memory it will have.

Also on the topic of graphics, I was reading a OLD Computer Gaming Monthly magazine from years ago and they had an article showing off the "new" Unreal 3 Engine...the writer said the PC used to show it off was using dual Nvidia 6800 Ultras to acheive the 30fps the demo was running at. Now you look at current consoles and the Xbox 360 has a ATI X1900 type GPU...which is roughly twice as fast (if not faster?) that dual 6800 Ultras...so can we assume that since the Unreal 4 tech demo was using dual GTX480's that the next generation consoles will be using a GPU roughtly the same speed a two GTX480's? That would be my guess...ESPECIALLY if the next-gen consoles are most likely going to be fully 3D ready...you'd need a pretty powerful GPU to pull off Unreal 4 like graphics in stereoscopic 3D at 1080p and up resolutions.

hell no and i won't bother commenting further on that.

As far as the rest of the hardware we all know that the next Xbox is going to have Blu-Ray...I highly doubt Microsoft will try a proprietary format nor will they stick with DVD again. Hard drive storage? I still see mechanical drives being the main medium here still, as even cheap 64GB SSD are still $100+. With next gen consoles probably being more media-centric than ever I see them shipping with 100's of GB worth of storage, which just isn't possible with current SSD prices.

more then likely they will stick with what they are currently doing now, they will have a version with limited storage and the ability to upgrade it, a mid range which will probably have 320GB of storage and a high end version with 500 or 750GB(leaning more toward 500GB). but what i would like to see them do is extend that to allow higher USB storage capacity instead of the 16GB limitation they have with the 360.

RAM? Who knows really...will they have 2GB DDR5? 4GB DDR3? Something entirely different like what AMD is doing with RAMBUS? I would say based on current consoles (both having 512MB) that next gen, if pushing 3D and 1080p (or higher) I would think that nothing less than 4GB would be used here...especially considering how low RAM prices are now it would be crazy if they didn't.

the rumor is right now its 2GB, we know for sure it will be DDR3 but the big question is if they cheap out and go with DDR3 1333 or if they go with the AMD recommended DDR3 1866 for the HD7k series VLIW4 IGP.

Processor is something that should be interesting! Will Microsoft decide to go with a standard x86 architecture or go with something out of the ordinary like a Cell processor or perhaps something like the new Intel 50-core (Larrabee :-p ). I'm thinking that with the high-end GPU that will most likely be used we're looking at a 6 to 8 core processor...possibly with multiple threads...to help in not bottlenecking the GPU.

theres 3 rumors right now(or its been confirmed not sure though). rumor 1 is that they will use 32nm cell processing(i highly doubt this), rumor 2 another IBM architecture traditional multi-core processor(possible), or using a full trinity processor from AMD since they are already using the IGP from the trinity APU(most likely option).

What about things like physics? I feel next-gen will be a major leap forward when it comes to physics...water, cloth, soft-bodies, A.I...will it be a CPU thing? Perhaps OpenCL (since ATI is doing the GPU)? Or maybe it'll be done on an entirely seperate co-processor?

they will have access to openCL physics. the real question is if the developers bother to use it. but more then likely they will continue to use CPU powered physics as the primary option.

However, despite all this, a part of me also feels like Microsoft doesn't want to lose money on every console for a while like they did with the 360. That part of me feels like we might end up with more humble consoles (Wii U-ish) and not so much a major technological leap forward like we experienced with say the Playstation 2 to Playstation 3.

consoles have always been sold as a profit loss, the money has always been in the game. the advantage is that microsoft doesn't have to spend an ass load on R&D like sony did with the PS3 since they really aren't creating new technology, they are using whats already available and has been tested for years. sony's mistake was trying to use cell processing before it had really been tested. so they had to foot the bill to test it and create a system around it.

basic math.. (these are just example numbers because i'm to lazy to look up the real numbers)

say it costs a 500 dollars to produce every console. you sell the console for 300 dollars. every game costs 60 dollars, microsoft takes 40% per game sold off the top. over the life time of that single console sold the average person buys roughly 8-10 games. so lets just use 8 as the example. thats 640 dollars total for the games. microsoft takes 40% of that. which is now 256 dollars. at that to what they sold the console at, you are looking at a total value of 556 dollars. so you end up with a 56 dollar profit on average. so if you stick to the average and sell a million 360's at that same price that 56 dollar profit per system ends up turning into 56 million dollars.

now these numbers are all bullcrap and there are a lot more variables involved but thats just a basic example of why they sell consoles at a loss.

Last edited:
really, the worst generation in memory? lol i hate consoles just as much as the next pc gamer but seriously give me a break, both the 360 and the ps3 were at the cutting edge of technology when they were released. what the hell do you expect them to do? release a new console every year just to keep you happy. thats not how consoles work and they never have.

Yes, in recent memory.
Empty promises, overpriced consoles, DLC out the ass, shit ports, greed, etc, etc, etc.
Like I said the worst. I have owned consoles since 1987, and every generation I have had each of the main consoles. This generation has sucked so hard in comparison, that I have no interest I buying either Xbox or PS3. (Owned both in the last few years, sold shortly after.)

Like I said, make something exclusive.
Consoles did nothing but try to be a PC this gen. Fail.

I own only a PC and Wii now. Go figure.

1. HDD storage has to be standard.
2. 28nm tech better find its way into the GPUs or it might be RRoD all over again.
3. As for memory, I wish they'd reconsider the 2GB. While it might be fine now, it's going to hold back development toward the end of the console's life cycle. RAM is cheap enough that 4GB total is only a couple bucks more. Alas, 2GB is probably all we'll get.

1. HDD storage has to be standard.
2. 28nm tech better find its way into the GPUs or it might be RRoD all over again.
3. As for memory, I wish they'd reconsider the 2GB. While it might be fine now, it's going to hold back development toward the end of the console's life cycle. RAM is cheap enough that 4GB total is only a couple bucks more. Alas, 2GB is probably all we'll get.

the 360 has 512mb of shared memory, 2GB won't hold the developers back in any way.

Yes, in recent memory.
Empty promises, overpriced consoles, DLC out the ass, shit ports, greed, etc, etc, etc.
Like I said the worst. I have owned consoles since 1987, and every generation I have had each of the main consoles. This generation has sucked so hard in comparison, that I have no interest I buying either Xbox or PS3. (Owned both in the last few years, sold shortly after.)

Like I said, make something exclusive.

I own only a PC and Wii now. Go figure.

welcome to capitalism.. deal with it, everything changes, new sources of revenue have to be found. if anything blame the idiots that buy the DLC that made it a profitable option.

i've owned almost every console since the NES and i can tell you the 360 and PS3(even though i absolutely hate playstations with a passion) are far from being the worst. people tend to forget things like the game cube and hell even the N64 that were total pieces of junk. just because the 360 and ps3 don't use true 1080p, big friggin deal. both consoles came out when less than 1% of america even owned HD tv's. what the hell did you expect from them? even most pc gamers weren't playing games at 1080p resolutions.

but the fact that you talk about 1080p support and own a Wii puts an end to that..

welcome to capitalism.. deal with it, everything changes, new sources of revenue have to be found. if anything blame the idiots that buy the DLC that made it a profitable option.

i've owned almost every console since the NES and i can tell you the 360 and PS3(even though i absolutely hate playstations with a passion) are far from being the worst. people tend to forget things like the game cube and hell even the N64 that were total pieces of junk.

Thats ironic.
I found the Gamecube gave me much more gaming last generation than any other system, at least towards the end of its life. OG Xbox was sold after I destroyed Ninja Gaiden Black, and nothing will make me get rid of my PS2. OG Xbox was the low point of that gen, imo. Ninja Gaiden was its one saving grace, for me.

The consoles need to differentiate themselves a hell of alot more the next round. PC's in a box, on a TV, does not cut it with me anymore.

but the fact that you talk about 1080p support and own a Wii puts an end to that..

Its obvious my main system is my PC. uhh, what are you taking about?
you really edited your post to add that line? perhaps i shouldn't waste my time...

the 360 has 512mb of shared memory, 2GB won't hold the developers back in any way.

I'd agree with you on this one considering how little RAM can be used towards the OS...leaving at the least 1.9GB for the GPU. However with RAM prices it would be dumb to not go with 4GB due to the very minor price difference and just have it to give developers more room to play!

As far as it being DDR3...I sure hope not! I'd think DDR5 or at least DDR4 at the lowest...

And what's this you said about an IGP!? :-s

LOL. u hear the story about why the xbox has 512vs 256. Basically, epic showed microsoft a demo of Gears of war running on 256mb vs 512mb. The difference was huge. i think microsoft said just that change costed microsft a billion bucks. But i do hope for 3gb or more.. not just 2gb..

heres an article on it: http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/interviews/gears-of-war-is-responsible-for-360s-512mb-ram.html

Last edited:
I reckon (and hope) they got with an SoC from AMD (AMD is hurting right now and could use the boost). So a quad core (not too important), a 7000 series GPU, 2gb of graphics memory and 2gb of ram, 750gb hard drive and bluray.

Keep in mind they have to keep the whole thing under 200 watts, but they should be able to properly implement HD this time around.:rolleyes:

I'd agree with you on this one considering how little RAM can be used towards the OS...leaving at the least 1.9GB for the GPU. However with RAM prices it would be dumb to not go with 4GB due to the very minor price difference and just have it to give developers more room to play!

As far as it being DDR3...I sure hope not! I'd think DDR5 or at least DDR4 at the lowest...

And what's this you said about an IGP!? :-s

the only way they would do DDR5 is if they ran a separate dedicated memory. if they decide to go with the full trinity core then DDR5 is out of the question. otherwise they would have to run the cpu and igp separate which defeats the purpose of even using the trinity igp in the first place. considering the fact that the current GDDR3 they are using now is only clocked at 700mhz(1400mhz DDR) i think 1866 should be plenty.

as far as price goes the difference is minimal until you consider how many chips they have to purchase. thats when prices snow ball and the performance gain isn't going to change sales figures all that much.. but COD MW3 is a prime example of that which is ruining it for everyone including console gamers.

LOL. u hear the story about why the xbox has 512vs 256. Basically, epic showed microsoft a demo of Gears of war running on 256mb vs 512mb. The difference was huge. i think microsoft said just that change costed microsft a billion bucks. But i do hope for 3gb or more.. not just 2gb..

heres an article on it: http://www.qj.net/xbox-360/interviews/gears-of-war-is-responsible-for-360s-512mb-ram.html

yeah i read some of it a while back.

I don't know about disappointed because if you think about it we've all seen the tech demo of the Unreal 4 engine. This is a next generation game engine for next-gen consoles and current-gen PC's meaning two things:

1. Next gen consoles WILL have graphics similar to those in the tech demo. Zero doubt!

2. Developers SHOULD at this point already have developer kits for the next Xbox.

So considering the tech demo ran on dual GTX480's I would be surprised if the next Xbox doesn't have nearly equal power in most respects...especially if its to do Unreal 4 quality graphics at 1080p and possibly 3D.

I mean, have you seen the Unreal 4 demo?! Looks amazing!!! Tell me what current lower-mid class PC GPU and CPU could do that at 1080p in 3D with completely smooth (30-60fps) frame rate? Even something like a Phenom II and a GTX560 I'd see having a very hard time with this...especially considering things like tessellation and stereoscopic support!

So having said that I can't see next-gen consoles having anything lower than a 8-core CPU, maybe a 16-core Cell if they can get the manufacturing process low enough to fit two on a single die. And nothing lower than a GTX580/6970 class GPU...which isn't at all outlandish if you consider how many will be made (bulk purchase) and how cheap they'll be when it comes time to release the next consoles (1 year+)...they could easily snatch a 6970 core for $75-100 if not less than that!

You have to remember that consoles that come out in another year or more will have developer kits that have probably $2000 worth of hardware in them NOW that will end up costing around $500 once the actual console based on that technology is released a year from NOW. Make sense? How expensive and advanced do you think the developer kits were for the PS3 and 360 were when they were handed out ~2 years before the consoles were released that had kickass hardware in them at launch? Console companies are planning for hardware prices to fall before starting manufacturing.

If the new consoles were being launched tomorrow of course they'd have sub-par hardware in them due to current costs...but a lot changes in a year, especially in the computer world!

the only way they would do DDR5 is if they ran a separate dedicated memory. if they decide to go with the full trinity core then DDR5 is out of the question. otherwise they would have to run the cpu and igp separate which defeats the purpose of even using the trinity igp in the first place. considering the fact that the current GDDR3 they are using now is only clocked at 700mhz(1400mhz DDR) i think 1866 should be plenty.

as far as price goes the difference is minimal until you consider how many chips they have to purchase. thats when prices snow ball and the performance gain isn't going to change sales figures all that much.. but COD MW3 is a prime example of that which is ruining it for everyone including console gamers.

yeah i read some of it a while back.

LOLwut? :-s

The next consoles are most certainly not going to use Trinity...the IGP performance would be slower than that of the Wii U's 4800 series GPU and you and I both know that the Xbox 720 and PS4 are going to kick the Wii U into the ground...they have too if they want to survive as there's not enough gamers to go around to have 3 successful consoles (think of the PS3 in the beginning or the Wii now).

Having said that I can EASILY see the next-gen consoles having separate video RAM...think about it...512MB DDR3 for system, which is way more than enough for any background task, and 2GB DDR5 for the GPU which would be plenty for 1080p, high-res textures, 3D, etc...

So honestly my original post I think is still Quite a possibility...or rather close to it. Definitely more close than a CPU/IGP combo...

Lets not kid ourselves here. The economy sucks. They'll cheap out as much as they possibly can. It's different then when we are choosing a build. We say "20.00 bucks more for another 2gb of ram? Thats a no brainer of course!" MS says "No! We need to keep costs down! Give it 512 MB! and while your at it use cheaper fans, heatsinks...I dont give a fuck if it wont last 6 months!"

If the rumors are to be believed from the MS blogger it's going to be smaller and cheaper to manufacture than the 360. This is not a clear sign that it's going to suck, but we'll see. I would like consoles a hell of a lot more if they had better hardware. If everything is going to console/ports at least give the consoles the legs to last. We should have had new consoles by now.

I don't know about disappointed because if you think about it we've all seen the tech demo of the Unreal 4 engine.

I still see conflicting messages all the time about whether the Samaritan demo was UE4 or some sort of UE3.5. If it it indeed representative of UE4, then I am disappoint. The differences going from UE->UE2 and UE2->UE3 were much bigger.

Predictions:

1.) Something that's roughly two years overdue for being announced and at least a year overdue to street so we can get the lowest common denominator bar finally raised a bit.

2.) When it streets finally, someone with some knowledge will still be able to build a gaming PC for well under a grand that kicks the hell out of it.

Predictions:

2.) When it streets finally, someone with some knowledge will still be able to build a gaming PC for well under a grand that kicks the hell out of it.

Which would be still be twice as much $$ as the next console and not offer twice as much power or benefit with gaming as long as the games keep coming out catering to the console- please see Skyrim, NFS, MW3, Rage, BF3 etc etc.

I was reading a OLD Computer Gaming Monthly magazine from years ago and they had an article showing off the "new" Unreal 3 Engine...the writer said the PC used to show it off was using dual Nvidia 6800 Ultras to acheive the 30fps the demo was running at.

OLD? you must be new, junior :p

that's the first time i've seen someone rag on consoles for trying to be more like PC's. maybe it's my complete hatred for the phrase 'Fail'....but this statement seems just absurd to me.

Personally, I just want something similar to the experience I have now with my PC hooked up to my TV.
Give me 1080p at 60FPS and low compression surround sound. Large storage space is always a plus, too. 250-500GB hard drives aren't too expensive these days, so that should be okay.
That's really all I care about.

Which would be still be twice as much $$ as the next console

How much do you really think this "Xbox 720" is going to cost when it comes out?

and not offer twice as much power or benefit with gaming

Huh? Have you ever built a PC for yourself and seen how far your money can take you if you know what you're doing?

as long as the games keep coming out catering to the console- please see Skyrim, BF3

I am and I'm seeing games, at least in the instance of those two, that are still quite appreciably better than their console versions.

It really doesn't matter to me because I have ZERO interest in actually buying it whatsoever so this is just academic and theoretical discussion for me.

The Unreal 4 tech demo (or is it UE 3.5, I don't know but I'm sure you guys knows what video we're talking about here) was ran on 3x GTX 580 if I recalled correctly.

3 GTX 580. This is more than what we can cramp into a single chip next year even with the 28nm node. And I expect the next gen console to have no more than 1 GPU, otherwise the cost would be too high, not to mention the cooling nightmare of having 2 powerful GPU in it. So I so think that Unreal 4 tech demo is still ahead of its time, IF the next gen consoles are based off hardware technology that is available next year. Sadly.

And if they add in those 3D gimmick which itself takes up additional rendering power, this might further limit the graphical advancement jump. But I guess, if we can see a full Battlefield 3 quality on next gen console, it would be a pleasant surprise.

The tech demos almost always look better than how the games look on those engines.

If I recall correctly, that Unreal Engine demo was 3.5.

Anyways, if the new consoles can play games at native 1080p at 60fps (like my pc). I'm a happy camper. Give me my 1080p Zelda and I'll die happy.

The tech demos almost always look better than how the games look on those engines.

Amen.

If I recall correctly, that Unreal Engine demo was 3.5.

Anyways, if the new consoles can play games at native 1080p at 60fps (like my pc). I'm a happy camper. Give me my 1080p Zelda and I'll die happy.

It's overdue if we get down to it. That'd be nice to have that as the new "low bar" vs the barebones 720p (if even that) that we've got now.

They could always have the memory expandable like the N64 had.

Maybe they could just go back to cartridge like the N64 and charge $70-$80 a pop for them. ;)

Maybe they could just go back to cartridge like the N64 and charge $70-$80 a pop for them. ;)

I actually think cartridge my work. Flash memory can be a lot faster than a disk drive. It could be like a SSD for each game. It would cost a ton but could out run most PC's.(well in loading times at least) Might also help curb console piracy, It is relativity simple to flash a DVD drive but to build custom cartridge for each game... That would make piracy a real difficult task.

I actually think cartridge my work. Flash memory can be a lot faster than a disk drive. It could be like a SSD for each game. It would cost a ton but could out run most PC's.(well in loading times at least) Might also help curb console piracy, It is relativity simple to flash a DVD drive but to build custom cartridge for each game... That would make piracy a real difficult task.

just need one blank cartridge, rip the game cartridge data to pc hdd, circumvent any encryption/DRM as well, copy onto blank cartridge and/or upload to warez sites.... then when you want a different game, wipe that cartridge back to being blank, rinse repeat

Pick a PC setup from about 3 years ago and thats what you will get 2 years from now.Never again will a console eclipse or even match whatever current PC tech is available at its launch..From now on,they will basically hit the ground outdated.Only buy buying developers off and purposely crippling PC game development,will consoles even stand a chance...kinda like now..

just need one blank cartridge, rip the game cartridge data to pc hdd, circumvent any encryption/DRM as well, copy onto blank cartridge and/or upload to warez sites.... then when you want a different game, wipe that cartridge back to being blank, rinse repeat

True, but the option for physical encryption is present with cartridges. Not to mention if they were to glue them together there may be no easy way to open a cartridge without breaking the internal components. Piracy will find a way, it always will. My point is that it will be more complicated and less common. Part of me is intrigued by the idea but I know the cost of piracy resistant cartridge's would most likely ruin console profits.

There's only one "sure-thing" from the hardware perspective: both consoles will included 28nm GPU and CPU. This is the only logical choice from a heat/power and cost standpoint. Anything else is conjecture imo.

And now for my conjecture: the xbox 720 will be powered by a 12-cylinder hemi, probably puting out 400-500 HP.

There's only one "sure-thing" from the hardware perspective: both consoles will included 28nm GPU and CPU. This is the only logical choice from a heat/power and cost standpoint. Anything else is conjecture imo.

And now for my conjecture: the xbox 720 will be powered by a 12-cylinder hemi, probably puting out 400-500 HP.

I love this plan. Instead of moving air though the Xbox 720, we move the Xbox though the air... Lets see this thing over heat at 200 miles an hour. Racing games have never been more realistic.

Memory

So the rumors of 2GB DDR3 are probably just the dev kits (aka off the shelf PCs like the G5 was used for the x360). Which probably means that they're using a GPU with 2GB of ram, so the total for the final console will probably be either 4GB unified or 2/2 split ddr3/gddr5 or xdr2 if the rumors about the 7000 series are true. This calculation falls in line with the trend that the total amount of console memory is always equal to the max amount a GPU has at the time, which for late 2012, we should have a 4GB part considering we already have 3GB parts, if not, we can account for the console focused development for the anomaly since we really don't have a need for more than 3GB Vram now.

GPU

So with that and the rumor of the dual GPU, you can assume that it's using a 6990 or a 6870x2 because that is what they're targeting for a 7000 series part, in other words, there is no single gpu that can approximate what they're targeting for so they're using that monster. I would bet that in the final version, it will be down-clocked and with the 28nm process, it could definitely be made to fit in a console's power requirements.

Processor
Processor will almost certainly be a bulldozer or later variant with 6 cores if the rumors are to be believed. Not very hard to believe.

HDD

Nothing exotic here, no SSD or SSD cache or anything. Probably a 250GB or 320GB standard and I wouldn't be surprised if HDD installs were mandatory.

Disk Drive

Near 100% certainty of blu-ray. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant. Regardless of blu-ray players being extremely cheap, MS will not let the check-box feature not be on their consoles, ESPECIALLY considering that basically the same games are on both consoles aside from a few exclusives anyway, which casuals don't care about.

Oh, and one more thing, anyone who thinks next-gen consoles will be 1080p/60fps are deluding themselves. Devs will ALWAYS go for eyecandy over IQ except in certain circumstances like racing games or COD. If you disagree, then ask yourself why we don't have either this gen. The consoles are certainly capable of it. It's because graphics>IQ. The only games that will be 1080p or 60fps will be the ones at the very start of the gen and will be the games that have been ported over from and designed for x360/ps3.

Epic recently presented a brand new Unreal Engine 3 real-time demonstration entitled “Samaritan,” which leverages DirectX 11 support, high-end rendering features, NVIDIA APEX physics technology and other engine upgrades.

NVIDIA’s APEX technology has also been integrated into the engine and ships with UDK.

Somewhat odd since its been said that both"next gen"consoles will be using ATI hardware..Why work so close with Nvidia?

Back