Xbox 720 Hardware guess from IGN

Even if they could run it playing on a PC means having to deal with the mess of using a computer. While some of us like that, most people do not. Hence why computer companies are always trying to pass things off as easier, nicer, better user experience. Because for a lot of people the experience of using a computer is like dental surgery. The fact that so many PC games ship in a horrible state or you're waiting on driver updates from your video card company does not make this situation any better.

3. XBOX Live and PSN are actually good things. I know this confusing the crap out of a lot of PC gamers, but they are great. For friends, leader boards, trophies, and all the "social" aspects of gaming, people like them.

It appears you haven't gamed on computers for close to 10 years. Every now and then a new release will be bad (Dead Island) but the majority of games are perfectly fine at launch.

XBOX Live and PSN are crap. The lack of dedicated servers and charging people to play online are not and will never be good things. You know what PC users have? Steam friends list. Right click and join game with your friends.

This is way off topic from speculation about Xbox 720 hardware...

It appears you haven't gamed on computers for close to 10 years. Every now and then a new release will be bad (Dead Island) but the majority of games are perfectly fine at launch.

XBOX Live and PSN are crap. The lack of dedicated servers and charging people to play online are not and will never be good things. You know what PC users have? Steam friends list. Right click and join game with your friends.

Which is funny, because apparently you haven't used a Playstation Console in 10 years. PSN is *free* and has a friends list and in game features that make it easy to join your friends in games.

Hey nice try making up facts though. Glad to see that being a PC gamer doesn't make people any smarter.

Which is funny, because apparently you haven't used a Playstation Console in 10 years. PSN is *free* and has a friends list and in game features that make it easy to join your friends in games.

Hey nice try making up facts though. Glad to see that being a PC gamer doesn't make people any smarter.

i believe he meant the lack of dedicated servers for both, and fees for xbox live only. putting them both in one sentence made it kind of unclear.

and for steam i think that was a response to sd11 saying that people like live and psn because of the friends and achievements etc, and was an example of the same thing on PC.

why are the console folk so hostile? i mean really every comment is combatant. all we're trying to say is that both are good, unique gaming platforms with their own strengths and weaknesses, and we prefer PC for various reasons. then you guys come in and start challenging our preferences? it is perfectly ok for you guys to like consoles more, why isnt it ok for us to like PCs more? you like casual, comfortable, social gaming. we like unrestricted, high performance, cheaper (for some of us anyway), upgradeable platform, gaming with faster and more accurate controls.

What I love about PC vs. Console arguments is go look at many of the "what are your favorite games of all time" threads and many of the pc camp list lots of console games... ;) Good games are good games, regardless of platform people.

No I have multiple SLI rigs here. And a lot of games have problems. Then again, I build my own stuff and I work in IT, so these issues don't bother me as much. But for people who don't, aka 99% of the population, they fucking suck the big one and drive them up the wall.

Most people don't want their gaming hobby to also require tech support and screwing around with PCs, they hate that. Hence they avoid it like the plague.

Today 06:09 PM

lol indeed

why are the console folk so hostile? i mean really every comment is combatant. all we're trying to say is that both are good, unique gaming platforms with their own strengths and weaknesses, and we prefer PC for various reasons. then you guys come in and start challenging our preferences? it is perfectly ok for you guys to like consoles more, why isnt it ok for us to like PCs more? you like casual, comfortable, social gaming. we like unrestricted, high performance, cheaper (for some of us anyway), upgradeable platform, gaming with faster and more accurate controls.

That comment was hostile though. I'd say PC gaming is the uber casual land for MMORPGs, facebook games, and flash games. Console gaming is for dedicated gamers.

And the controls depends on your game. I love fighters and shooters, hence I have no problem paying thousands for arcade machines to game on when people come over.

Even with SLI rigs on my home network, the PC gaming is largely girls playing WoW or farmville. The guys rock out the consoles and the arcade cabs and money match and play for hours having mini tournaments.

PC gaming is the king of casual, low end, and free. You don't think that because you engage in a tiny niche of high end gaming in it. Just like I engage in a niche of console gaming. But the platform of farmville and WoW can't claim to be high end or skilled even compared to the platform of angrybirds when you get down to it, oooh and you have solitare. ;) Which is to say, the platform is only as casual or high end as the games you pick for it. Demons Souls/Dark Souls or competitive MVC3 are hardly casual by any stretch of the imagination.

I played competitive Quake and Unreal on the PC, I play competitive fighters on consoles. Just so happens I find consoles to be far more fun and far superior overall, by a massive margin at that. PC gaming is fun at times though, and has the added dick waving and e-peen fun of building rigs in the few grand range and being able to tinker with them. And at this point, I enjoy building PC's far more than playing them. I'll build a top end rig and then game on console.

Enjoying Tribes Ascend though.

Last edited:
What I love about PC vs. Console arguments is go look at many of the "what are your favorite games of all time" threads and many of the pc camp list lots of console games... ;) Good games are good games, regardless of platform people.

On most multi platform forums, PC gamers admit half the fun is blowing a shit ton of cash for bragging rights, tinkering with them, and building them.

People who don't like that often game on consoles.

And I mean, I get it. Hell I restore and play on arcade cabinets, which is a hobby that makes PC gaming look cheap. And you know what, a ton if not most of the fun is getting the cab, restoring it, spending a month or so on it and feeling great about it. Would I advise it for most people, no... because most people don't want to spend a grand to 3 grand on a machine and shipping it here, only to have to rip it apart rewire it, and then have to deal with the hassle with it. It just fucking sucks for 99% of people. The console is better because it just works and does what you want it to.

If you just want to play games, PCs and arcade machines do not make much sense at all honestly. On the other hand if you think screwing around with stuff and tinkering with it is part of the fun, consoles don't make much sense.

No I have multiple SLI rigs here. And a lot of games have problems.

Maybe it is issues with your rigs and/or SLI. The vast majority of games that come out for PC have no real problems at all. In fact, in my experience, both my PS3 and Xbox 360 freeze up way more than my PCs ever have.

Yes, there are some exclusive hard core games for consoles that the developers stupidly didn't release for PC and vice versa. That doesn't make PCs or consoles better than each other. Also, the vast majority of console and PC games these days are easy as shit. Your argument is not only based on opinion but is also off topic to the thread.

And please don't get me started on the 'free' PSN network. At least Microsoft knows what security is.

this online pass stuff is bullshit! this and high cost of entry for good pc gaming is going to crash the game market ! i see a console and a gaming crash in our future.

Is the WII-U doing it? If Microsoft/Sony do end up going this route, and Nintendo get's smart and loosens up their third party fees/restrictions, I could actually see a Nintendo resurgence (even if it is on weaker/gimicky hardware).

I'm not Nintendo fan-boy, and certainly don't want to be lumped into that crowd. But if Sony and Microsoft go the one-disc one person route, and Nintendo does not... it could get really interesting.

Maybe it is issues with your rigs and/or SLI. The vast majority of games that come out for PC have no real problems at all. In fact, in my experience, both my PS3 and Xbox 360 freeze up way more than my PCs ever have.

Yes, there are some exclusive hard core games for consoles that the developers stupidly didn't release for PC and vice versa. That doesn't make PCs or consoles better than each other. Also, the vast majority of console and PC games these days are easy as shit. Your argument is not only based on opinion but is also off topic to the thread.

And please don't get me started on the 'free' PSN network. At least Microsoft knows what security is.

You act like PC games don't have hacking problems and the PC is secure, it's not, laughable not so. And I don't know what you do to your consoles, but that's rather sad.

But yet again, you're not arguing with me, I'm enough of an ass to own gaming PCs. You're arguing against the population that voted against the PC and caused the push to console. You lost that war to them, massively, not me. Enjoy farmvile, that's your future. Keep pushing it bro man!

Is the WII-U doing it? If Microsoft/Sony do end up going this route, and Nintendo get's smart and loosens up their third party fees/restrictions, I could actually see a Nintendo resurgence (even if it is on weaker/gimicky hardware).

I'm not Nintendo fan-boy, and certainly don't want to be lumped into that crowd. But if Sony and Microsoft go the one-disc one person route, and Nintendo does not... it could get really interesting.

Nintendo already did make a resurgence, the Wii is by far the most popular console of the current generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6

You can argue that most PC gamers are casual gamers, but the fact is most console owners are Wii owners, so if any generalisation can be made its simply that most gamers are casual gamers regardless of whether they happen to be PC gamers or console gamers.
If you just want to play games, PCs ... do not make much sense at all honestly
Pfft, the 100 games on my Steam list calls bullshit on this.

sd11, give it a break. We get it, you love consoles and think they're awesome. Many of us don't agree. Your last 3 posts are just a heap of generalisations and conjecture and don't apply to a lot of PC gamers nor do they apply to a lot of console gamers and certainly doesn't apply to the topic of this thread.

PC is a fine gaming platform, 4.5 million peak users on Steam just for today alone, 140,000 people currently playing just the top 10 Steam games alone shows there's plenty of people who agree that PC is a good gaming platform, and not for just MMOs and casual games.

Go troll somewhere else.

A 6670 would be totally disappointing. Yes, initially it would be a massive upgrade just because the current consoles are so incredibly outdated, but if they want to push some longevity here with these, at least throw in a 6850 that has a 256-bit wide memory bus so the textures don't look awful again (compared to PCs) 2-3 years after release.

Low profile 6850s :
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595218
http://www.colamax.com/product.aspx?pid=108

If they don't at least throw something like that in, I will be disappointed, considering the technology for reduced thermals on that much video power has already here for a good bit now.

meh these rumors and even prelaunch claims from the console makers themselves are usually way off base.

Last edited:
It will just take a game company to make a certain game and the PS4 specs to be leaked.
Which will make Microsoft up the hardware, just like what happened to the 360.

It will just take a game company to make a certain game and the PS4 specs to be leaked.
Which will make Microsoft up the hardware, just like what happened to the 360.

I'd be pretty sure that it isn't in anyone's interest for MS and Sony to issue machines with widely varying specs. I'm pretty sure the developers will have told both that they don't want to have to jump through major hoops to develop games on differing platforms. Currently they have two consoles with similar performance but different API platforms and thats tough enough but they get by.

Would be suicide to then have differing performance and different API to contend with. Would rip the market apart.

I can't really think of a feature I would want from the 720 besides maybe xbox connect built in. Upgraded hardware is obviously a must.

Back