Xbox 360 Woes

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I have saved up $400+ for an Xbox 360, and I would be good to go except for these stupid rumors about a PGR3 bundle in August. Some sources say August, some say Xmas, and all will concede that it is only a rumor. How much validity would you guys say this rumor actually has?

He is referring to a rumored bundle that would include about 80$ worth of stuff including PGR3 for the same price as the premium is now. Basically...no price drop in the 360 but you get more for your money. It is a pretty plausible rumor but in the end thats all it will be right up until they actually do it(if they do it). Microsoft will never confirm anything like this for exactly the reason the OP is asking. If they announced a bundle or price drop 2 months in advance, nobody would buy during those two months.

OP : If there are games you really want to play now, get the 360. If not, then wait.

Keep in mind that the bundle which was been described so far includes a pre-paid card for 1250 MS Points. That point denomination is *only* available in Canada, and non-Canadian accounts cannot use it. So even if this bundle does become available at some future date, it appears that it will only be available in Canada.

If you are Canadian, I'm probably didn't help your situation. However if you aren't Canadian, I wouldn't hold my breathe for this.

Coldtronius said:
Stop killing yourself and just go buy it.

That's exactly my feeling as well. It's only a wild rumor, and will saving $80 really be worth it when you are sitting around Xbox360-less right now wondering what kind of fun many of us are having right now? Don't you want your X360 in time for some really awesome games that are coming out shortly?

So i had no plans of picking up a 360, didn't really interest me. But i was over my friends the other day, and well...i'll admit it's pretty sweet.

I am thinking of getting one, I noticed there is a core system and a Premium, noticeabe difference being a hard drive and wireless controller...is the hard drive needed? What purpose does it serve, i thought the 360 had memory cards.

And for those of you that own it, what are some good games that are out right now?

dtess17 said:
So i had no plans of picking up a 360, didn't really interest me. But i was over my friends the other day, and well...i'll admit it's pretty sweet.

I am thinking of getting one, I noticed there is a core system and a Premium, noticeabe difference being a hard drive and wireless controller...is the hard drive needed? What purpose does it serve, i thought the 360 had memory cards.

And for those of you that own it, what are some good games that are out right now?

You need a memory device to be able to save games, so if you go with the Core system and you want to be able to save games, you'll need to at least purchase a memory card. Also, if you plan to go online with Xbox Live, you'll need a memory device, meaning if you go with the Core you'll have to at least buy a memory card. Given that memory cards sell for $40, if you plan to go online or save games, you might as well get the Premium kit, it's $100 more than the Core, but if you were to buy a Core and add a HDD ($100), and add a wireless controller ($50) you would be spending more than if you just bought the Premium to begin with. If you plan to go online at all to download demos, videos, or Arcade titles, the Premium simply provides a far superior experience, and ultimately will probably save you money compared to buying a Core and upgrading it.

It's definitely a good deal to get the premium over the core. In addition to the hard drive and wireless controller, you also get the headset. With the memory cards being $40 as noted above, it's just completely not cost effective to go with core. Live just has so much free content (and pay content, of course) that if you at all plan on connecting your 360 to the internet, you'll regret quickly having spent $40 on a (stupidly small) 64mb card. Heck, just the rental money you'll save by getting game demos will make up most of the difference. ;)

The wireless controller is also a very appreciated addition, and adds a lot more convenience than I thought. It's really a life-saver when you have anything outside of perfect conditions (and it's handy to be able to change songs from another room!) Just get some decent rechargable batteries, and you're set.

I'm largely reiterating what JethroXP said, but I wanted to reinforce his point. If you can at all manage it, you'll be happier and save money in the long run buying Premium.

As far as good games goes, I'd recommend Perfect Dark Zero, Oblivion, Dead or Alive 4, and Burnout Revenge. There are others, but those are the four I currently own, and personally think are all top-notch titles.

And to Lyrids, I definitely agree that you should just buy it now. While PGR3 is a great game, unless you're a huge car nut, it's definitely no reason to wait, as I'm sure it'll drop in price soon if it hasn't already. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of bundle deal this Christmas, so if you're still wanting to see what comes, I think that's a legitimate choice. Heck, many games will have dropped in price by then, anyway. ;)

You could just buy one via ebay (premium goes for about 450-470'ish if you find a good one) and then PGR3 aswell that way and save some money. Just make sure you buy from a person with a good rep/protect yourself and read the entire auction (IE there's quite a few phishing auctions trying to con people into buying just the box itself or a game but obviously trying to make it appear that they are selling the system).

Same boat man! heh But I think I'm caving in this weekend and picking me up a 360

:D

Stiler said:
You could just buy one via ebay (premium goes for about 450-470'ish if you find a good one) and then PGR3 aswell that way and save some money. Just make sure you buy from a person with a good rep/protect yourself and read the entire auction (IE there's quite a few phishing auctions trying to con people into buying just the box itself or a game but obviously trying to make it appear that they are selling the system).

Why would you want to pay more than retail on eBay? The premium Xbox360 retails for $399, so what is the advantage of paying $450-$470 on eBay?

dtess17 said:

That's how it usually starts. People who arn't interested in the X360, yet are open minded enough to give it a fair chance usually come away with a pretty good opinion of it. Make sure you get the premium as the core just isn't worth it. You are going to need a lot more space than a 64mb memory card if you want to store patches, games, and other downloadable stuff on it. As for games, there is a good thread going on right now you can check out. If you can't decide, rent several games and see what floats your boat.

Just ordered the Platinum with GRAW from Newegg :D

And then I failed my road test :(

Lyrids said:

Lol, who cares if you can drive, you'll be home playing your Xbox360 now :D

JethroXP said:
Why would you want to pay more than retail on eBay? The premium Xbox360 retails for $399, so what is the advantage of paying $450-$470 on eBay?

lol, I meant 350-370.

Lyrids said:

maybe for a better, streets will be safer with you seating in front of the tv playin 360 :)
have fun dude.

Lyrids said:

Now buy PGR3 and/or NFS:MW along with a racing wheel. Then you can write off all of your purchases as business or educational expenses when/if you do taxes :D Gotta practice for that drivers liscense so you can get to work/school hehe.

there is a huge refurb seller on ebay that sells his xbox premiums as xbox platinums, cause he doesn't know better. I've purchased from him before. He's got like 99% positive feedback, and his stuff is legit.

His xbox 360 platinums(refurb) go for about 300 - with hard-drive and wireless gamepad.

that's the route I'd take to buy one for a $100 less.

Archaea said:
there is a huge refurb seller on ebay that sells his xbox premiums as xbox platinums, cause he doesn't know better. I've purchased from him before. He's got like 99% positive feedback, and his stuff is legit.

His xbox 360 platinums(refurb) go for about 300 - with hard-drive and wireless gamepad.

that's the route I'd take to buy one for a $100 less.

I would be very cautious about buying refurbished units from even a legit person. If the unit was officially refurbished by Microsoft, it would probably have some sort of warranty. However, you would want detailed information on what kind of warranties would be valid on the refurb unit, along with whether you could buy an extended warranty for it.

Congratulations to dtess and lyrid on their new and future X360 units. You guys will finally get to have the fun that many of us have been having for a while now. Who needs to drive when you can fire up NFS:MW and have fun being reckless?

Back