Xbox 360 vs PS3 controller: vote for your favorite

Which controller do you prefer, Xbox 360 or PS3?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 129 59.2%
  • PS3

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • No preference or don't know

Votes: 25 11.5%

• Total voters

biggles

2[H]4U
I see folks arguing about this sometimes and decided to make a poll of it. Which controller do you prefer, Xbox 360 or PS3?

Personally I slightly prefer the 360 controller but I'm fine with the PS3 controller as well. Both work fine in my book.

The 360 controller. The PS3 controller has the most retarded triggers ever...so retarded that every multi-platform developer assigns LT/RT functions of the 360 setup to the L1/R1 buttons on the PS3 controller, because the L2/R2 buttons can't be relied on for such frequent use due to how slippery they are. This can be fixed with aftermarket triggers, I know, but that doesn't make the PS3 stock controller any better. Also, SIXAXIS is utter shit.

The 360 controller is solid, has a good weight to it, feels comfortable and has user-replaceable batteries. It is miles better than the original Xbox controller. The D-pad is utter shit, of course.

The 360 controller. The PS3 controller has the most retarded triggers ever...so retarded that every multi-platform developer assigns LT/RT functions of the 360 setup to the L1/R1 buttons on the PS3 controller, because the L2/R2 buttons can't be relied on for such frequent use due to how slippery they are. This can be fixed with aftermarket triggers, I know, but that doesn't make the PS3 stock controller any better. Also, SIXAXIS is utter shit.

The 360 controller is solid, has a good weight to it, feels comfortable and has user-replaceable batteries. It is miles better than the original Xbox controller. The D-pad is utter shit, of course.

This exactly but the newer switchable dpad is pretty good

I greatly prefer the 360 controller but what difference does it make? if I want to play games on my PS3 then I will have to use a PS3 controller.

I don't really care which controller I use, but if I must chose one, then I would probably chose the dualshock 3, mainly due to me being more comfortable with it.

They both have replaceable batteries, just one came with rechargeable batteries so you wouldn't need to replace them constantly. How is being more annoying a good point? :p

I've found that ladies (smaller hands) have a bias toward the PS3 controller and duded (bigger hands) go for 360. I've got the same feeling between the two, PS3's controller is too small for my liking if I want to play for extended periods.

I like the thumbstick layout better on the 360 controller. Now, give me the Sega Saturn's D-Pad and you'd have damn near the perfect controller.

I've found that ladies (smaller hands) have a bias toward the PS3 controller and duded (bigger hands) go for 360. I've got the same feeling between the two, PS3's controller is too small for my liking if I want to play for extended periods.

Xbox controller (wired)...WxHxD: 152 × 107 × 54.0 mm Weight: 300 g (10.6 oz)

DS3...WXHxD 160 mm × 97 mm × 55 mm Weight: 192 g (6.77 oz)

The DS3 is wider and less bloated. (Sixaxis was 157 mm × 95 mm × 55 mm and 137.1 g)

Then...

DS4...WxHxD: 162 mm × 98 mm x 52 mm Weight: 210 g (7.4 oz)

So it's wider than either, and still 2/3 of the weight of the xbox controller.

So it's wider than either, and still 2/3 of the weight of the xbox controller.

That's another complaint, it's too light.

But what I mean by size, it reminds me of a small concealed carry firearm without a pinky extension when using the PS3 controller. I hate it, my hands just don't fit well.

I've never liked the PS style controllers, all the way back to the original PS without the dual analogs.

ps360-controllers.jpg

The 360 controller is fitted in such a way that it feels like you have a good grip on it. The PS controller just kinda "sits" in your hand vs. actually gripping it.

The 360 controller is fitted in such a way that it feels like you have a good grip on it. The PS controller just kinda "sits" in your hand vs. actually gripping it.

So you feel you have a better grip of a big plastic triangle than something with actual grips?

And holding something heavier for long periods is more comfortable than holding something light? :p

Maybe you just have unusual hands? You can get different controllers for either console. A bunch of different USB controllers will work (apart from if it needs Sixaxis stuff, which isn't really that common)

So you feel you have a better grip of a big plastic triangle than something with actual grips?

And holding something heavier for long periods is more comfortable than holding something light? :p

I don't even know what you're saying... :confused:

the x360 grip assumes you're facing the controller away from you buttons up. Ps3 is a close grip buttons facing towards you. I still prefer the dreamcast grip to either.

dc.jpg

Verticle grip buttons facing you or bigger hands can horizontal grip buttons up. Also whatever you do don't google dreamcast and frontarmy NSFW.

I don't even know what you're saying... :confused:

Your arguments make no practical sense. How can holding something heavier be more comfortable. How can something without proper grips be easier to grip.. :confused:

I have long fingers, and that's one of the reason I don't like the Xbox controller (alog with the pointy webbed dpad). The way the pseudo grips are kind of awkward. Like its made for people with short chubby fingers and chubby hands...

the x360 grip assumes you're facing the controller away from you buttons up. Ps3 is a close grip buttons facing towards you. I still prefer the dreamcast grip to either.

That's one thing I hope is better on the DS4. The L2/R2 buttons are just at a weird angle. Those 3rd party triggers were supposed to fix it or something.

i think overall feel and design the xbox controller wins.

however a huge strong point for the ps3 controllers is their weight and battery.

Your arguments make no practical sense. How can holding something heavier be more comfortable. How can something without proper grips be easier to grip.. :confused:

Personal preference?

I'd also go define grip, it's another one of those multi-purpose words.

The new Wii U pro controller is almost perfect its battery is ridiculous Is only flaw in its digital on or off triggers

Ps3 stick are real crappy triggers are curved the wrong way, battery is good and so is dpad. I use aftermarket ps3 controllers that have proper curved triggers and offset sticks like the 360 controller.

360 controller wins for me on thumbstick position alone. I MUCH prefer the 360's offset, wider positioned thumbsticks. The triggers are also much better on the 360 controller. I believe I read that the triggers on the PS4 controller were redesigned to be more like the 360 though, so hopefully they will be more even on that front in the coming generation. The d-pad doesn't bug me at all since I'm not a big fighting game guy, so it's not even a factor in my decision.

I much prefer the build quality of the PS3 controller (every Xbox 360 controller I have held feels cheap in comparison), the feel of the D-pad and face buttons, but I do prefer the layout of the 360 controller. Since a controller should be mainly about easy of use/comfort, I would have to say the 360 controller edges out the PS3 one.

I prefer the Xbox 360 controller way more. My only complaint with it is the d-pad. Thankfully most of the games I play don't rely on it too heavily, or need precise movement with it.

If they fixed the d-pad the 360 controller would be perfect. As others have said, it unfortunately sucks.

I have loved the Dual Shock ever since the original one came out, and I do think the DS3 is the best iteration thus far (even though I hate the analog buttons, and the R2/L2 triggers). It's super reliable and gets a great battery life. I am still using my original DS3 that I bought back when they first came out (in 2007 I think), and it still holds a great charge (I play a few hours a day, and I only charge once a week). Also, the d-pad is my favorite for fighting games (which is why I buy all of them on PS3).

However, I still think the 360 controller is the better overall controller. MS just needs to fix their shit battery packs which seem to last a maximum of 6 months. I don't think fixing the d-pad is going to help much since the placement of the d-pad is uncomfortable.

I have fairly big hands (but not chubby) and I think the 360 controller is way more comfortable as well. I've never liked the Dualshock. At some point it does come down to personal preference. I've never thought about grips, but some people prefer a little weight to a controller. It makes it feel like you are interacting with something more substantial.

360 controller is a bit better for my larger hands, but I voted PS3 because honestly I feel like hitting both triggers on one side feels more natural due to them being at the same level. I don't really like the high shoulder trigger on the 360 controller.

I'm indifferent to the grips and buttons on both of them, but I think the PS3 has vastly superior sticks. The sticks on the 360 have a lot of resistance, which always made precision targeting seem a lot more difficult to me.

That said... I would always play FPS on my PC if they didn't refuse to port some of them.

The new Wii U pro controller is almost perfect its battery is ridiculous Is only flaw in its digital on or off triggers

I really like that controller.
While this was making great progress, it appears to have fizzled at the moment....
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-pro-controller-to-pc-program-release.343159/

Lacks proper analog input.
You can sort of use it fine with MAME and older games, but.. I really hope this picks back up. It's only missing one thing...

xbox360 the only controller anyone need. PS3 controllers are just junk anyway :p

The PS3 style "mushroom" sticks require a rolling of the thumb to operate, whereas the 360's 'bowl' style sticks are more suited to gripping the tip of the thumbs, and going where you point it.

The PS3's D-pad is far superior: it is much better for games that are direction-combo heavy (Tony hawk games, fighting games, etc) and are better suited to retro games that don't have analouge input.

The PS3's triggers are a disgrace: I MUCH prefer the original PS2's R2 and L2 buttons, they were grippy and responsive, the PS3 triggers curve In such a way from the player so that they loose friction as the trigger is drepressed.

One of the reasons the DS3 triggers feel so awful is because instead of having the mechanics of actual triggers, they are actually pressure sensitive buttons with a trigger-like design. It seems they "copy pasted" their pressure sensitive face button design and used it for the triggers as well. I pulled apart a DS3 to repair it while back and was surprised when I saw how cheaply made the triggers were. It's just a spring loaded trigger that's pressing a rubber dome that's not unlike what you would find in a conventional keyboard.

That said, while I almost always prefer the 360 controller, I have become accustomed to and even fond of the DS3. With some trigger extenders attached it's not that bad of a controller.

Last edited:
Love the 360 controller for shooters and action games, love the PS3 controller for anything that uses a d-pad. I play 'em equally, so I'm split right down the middle.

360 controller all the way every day. PS3 controller feels like its going to pop out of my hands, I never feel like I have a comfortable way of holding it. The 360 controller just sits there and I don't have to think about the controller at all. The PS3 controller, for whatever reason, makes me aware that I am holding a controller and it irks me. I also enjoyed the N64, Dreamcast and original Xbox controllers though. Though I had third part controllers for the original xbox that became my main ones, and they are very similar to what the 360 controller became.

I have smaller hands and i love the 360. analog placement is just so much better, the triggers are better, i like the heft better and it has a built in mic plug and for codes i have the keyboard attachment. its just a better product, while the ps3 controller seems an old carry-over with a few extra buttons.

i really liked the N64 controller, and i really enjoyed playing games with the wii-mote+nunchuck. not so much the shape but the idea of a split controller. i wish i had the opportunity to try a split controller to play my fps games, wonder how that would feel...

PS when using D-Pad (tony hawk, fighting games)
Xbox when using analog (RPGs)
Mouse when aiming (FPS)

Back