Xbox 360 Update: 3/03/06

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
March 2006 System Update for Xbox 360

The March 2006 Xbox 360™ update will prepare your Xbox 360 console for future system and title updates. This free* update is available to all Xbox Live® members. Your console will be updated the next time you sign in to Xbox Live.

*Requires a broadband connection and an Xbox Live account.

Here is what the newest update did.

It's got to be some kind of security update...which is why they aren't saying specifically.

Could be... Who knows. MS has always been quiet about their Xbox updates.

Anyone have a 3rd party External HD hooked up to their 360? I'm considering doing this to put music and movies on it but I don't wanna spend the money on it if it doesn't work. Anyone tried this??

I currently have an external hd hooked up but you unfortunately can't watch movies off of it.

Yeah you can hook up a USB HDD to it and it will allow you to play mp3s and pictures off it but thats it...so far anyway.

Lucky J said:
I currently have an external hd hooked up but you unfortunately can't watch movies off of it.

Really you can't rip a movie to it and watch it off the HD? I wanted to take my movie collection and put them on the HD and have my entire movie library on that. Man that sucks. Anyway around this?

Will the Xbox play AVI or Mpegs?

I guess you can stream items with a little hacking or with a Media Center PC, but not by default and not with the XP "share folder" option. As far as I know, not with any USB devices either.

Man that sucks. Oh well. I'm sure over time that option will be available. I'm sure it's a piracy issue so I'm assuming that's why that wasn't something that came standard with the X360 when it came out. ITwould be tight thought to have your entire DVD library on a HD though.

[BB] Rick James said:
Man that sucks. Oh well. I'm sure over time that option will be available. I'm sure it's a piracy issue so I'm assuming that's why that wasn't something that came standard with the X360 when it came out. ITwould be tight thought to have your entire DVD library on a HD though.

True...and from what I gather you can definitely make a Media Center PC stream video to the XBox without a whole lot of work. If people can do that, I'm pretty sure they'll come up with a way to trick the Xbox into thinking an external device is a PC...

This update came out the other day, actually, I think yesterday....and I believe there was already a thread about it.

BladeMrk said:
There's also an update for DOA4 if you fire the game up.

Doesn't that patch also fix a serious bug in the game as well? It had something to do with if you start the 360 with DOA4 already in the drive, you can lose all of your saved stuff if you start playing the game before you have gotten logged signed in.

junehhan said:
Doesn't that patch also fix a serious bug in the game as well? It had something to do with if you start the 360 with DOA4 already in the drive, you can lose all of your saved stuff if you start playing the game before you have gotten logged signed in.

That issue was patched awhile ago IIRC.

I really hope Microsoft lets us play video off of a harddrive connected to the device. I was so pissed when I tried to play something off of my USB drive and it wouldn't :mad:

Erasmus354 said:
That issue was patched awhile ago IIRC.

I really hope Microsoft lets us play video off of a harddrive connected to the device. I was so pissed when I tried to play something off of my USB drive and it wouldn't :mad:
Are you sure about that? The profile issue is still on going only fix is when your playing 2 players log on to your live acct w/controller 1 and then when the 2nd controller is turned on just don't log in with it and your saves stay intact. The update for the fix is still unreleased and is supposed to be coming out with the new character that knows tai-kwan-do apparently.

the doa save bug was fixed before launch in the uk, but I don't know if it had been patched previously in the US

hang on a miniut did someone just say patch for a console game!!!!

what has the world come to when a console game gets patched

Console games have been patched before...especially since the Xbox came around. If only patches were around when Ultimate Mortal Kombat was out. I don't think I've ever played a buggier console game.
As for DOA, the patch didn't add anything as far as new characters on mine. I don't have the boss guy unlocked (I don't like the game enough to want to try either), but he's the only guy I don't have and I still only see one more "?" spot.
I'd guess this is a patch to fix something.

Did this kill any of your 360's? This is kinda scary, actually... if it's true, and not isolated (it likely is).

steviep said:
Did this kill any of your 360's? This is kinda scary, actually... if it's true, and not isolated (it likely is).

I did the update the day it came out and I have had 0 issues. Actually previous to the updates (I think there has been 2) my X360 would freeze up now and then. Since the updates, actually after the 1st I've had no lock up issues at all. Most of my lock-ups would occur in King Kong, but that has stopped.

I think we would be hearing more about this if it were true. My guess is that maybe something happened during the download process and install of their updates to make their boxes freeze and malfunction.

I'm not ruling this out; I'm just saying it's a few isolated instances if anything.

Yeah something probably goofed up while updating the BIOS. There are only isolated incidents. Has anyone figured out what it does yet, though? lol

steviep said:
Yeah something probably goofed up while updating the BIOS. There are only isolated incidents. Has anyone figured out what it does yet, though? lol

This update to my understanding just updates the OS for future games. I'm assuming games like GRAW and etc...

Back