Xbox 360 too Elite?

Faction

The Chairman
Anyone buy one?

we had 10 at our store, not one person even asked about it.

the manager was talking about handing out tickets in the morning.. laff.

Please start threads in the proper subforum. Thank you. -Rich

Not enough of an improvement for myself. Dont need the HDMI since I have mine plugged into my wide screen monitor next to my computer. When I did have it on my HDTV I use the components since my HTPC is hooked up with the HDMI. Dont need the HDD space since I dont download movies and stuff to the 360.

I got one. Circuit City had 6 total. I actually reserved mine thinking that there would be a bigger demand for it. I was the only one..... :p

If I didnt already own a 360 and was in the market for one I would get one over the Premium. But since most people that wanted one already own a 360 I think the sale of these will be slow as there isn't really, in my opinion, a big enough difference to make me want to ditch my current 360 for the Elite one.

If I didnt already own a 360 and was in the market for one I would get one over the Premium.

Ditto. I bought a Premium 360 a few months ago, and right now the only thing the Elite has, that I want, is the larger hard drive. I don't need the HDMI, and there isn't any major hardware revision, that would make me want to "upgrade" to the Elite. If I didn't already have the system, and was about to buy a 360 now though, I'd get the Elite.

also the larger hard drive is an option to be purchased for those without the Elite, albeit at a highly inflated price, but none the less still a purchase option.

*edit* also MS cant really change to much to the core inner workings of the console anyway, besides a die shrink, because that would really tick people off. The only other thing I think they could do would be to install the HD DVD drive in the console itself instead of it being an add on.

The Elite is not really Elite. Not enough changes to constitute it. Really, if your a first time buyer the HD would probably sway most.

The "Elite" has nothing really compelling to get, even for a new buyer, due to its ridiculously higher cost. I got this deal, all for a total cost about $30 more than an Elite + tax:

GameStop.com order said:
Order Contents:

Description Qty Amount
----------------------------------------------------- --- ----------
Dead or Alive 4 - Used 1 $18.74
Project Gotham Racing 3 - Used 1 $14.99
Crackdown - Used 1 $41.24

Subtotal : $74.98
Tax : $5.01
Handling : $8.49
Grand Total : $88.48

Shipping Method : USA 2-Day

Dell.com order said:
Item Description Unit Price Quantity Total Price

Xbox 360 with 20 GB Hard Drive + Gears of War at no additional charge - a $59.99 value! $399.00 1 $399.00

Play and Charge Kit for Xbox 360 $19.99 1 $19.99

VGA HD AV Cable for XBOX 360 $39.99 1 $39.99

ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS

AAA members receive an additional 6% off purchase (before tax, shipping & handling) - $27.54
Subtotal: $431.44
Shipping and Handling: $17.00

Shipping Discount: -$17.00

Tax Total: $25.89
Total: $457.33

What were we talking about again? Leetsauce? Oh, right... yeah... 360's :). The HDMI, despite my having a set that can take advantage of it, doesn't offer a great difference, and the hard drive space is unimportant unless you're using the downloadable video service anyway. It offers nothing really feature-wise over the Premium of importance, yet carries a far higher pricetag. No thanks!

I'm not biting, I just can't justify it considering I bought my premium in December for $200 after rebates through MicroCenter.

The "Elite" has nothing really compelling to get, even for a new buyer, due to its ridiculously higher cost. I got this deal, all for a total cost about $30 more than an Elite + tax:

Elite + Tax = ~510

Premium + Tax + HDMI cable (comes free with the elite, so we'll add it in here) + 120 GB HDD = Greater than 620. Without the HDMI cable, it would still be greater than 600. Ridiculously higher cost? whatever. You are just trying to justify your purchase so you don't feel stupid like half the other early adopters. And to be honest, if I were in the same shoes as you, I would be too.

Elite + Tax = ~510

Premium + Tax + HDMI cable (comes free with the elite, so we'll add it in here) + 120 GB HDD = Greater than 620. Without the HDMI cable, it would still be greater than 600. Ridiculously higher cost? whatever. You are just trying to justify your purchase so you don't feel stupid like half the other early adopters. And to be honest, if I were in the same shoes as you, I would be too.

Thats a pretty generalized slam. I am perfectly happy with my 360 purchase. Hell I was one of the people that bought a Core and then bought the hard drive because I couldn't find a Premium anywhere when they first came out but wanted a 360 anyway. I do believe that the Elite is a good deal, but IMO only if you don't own a 360 and are looking to buy one. To me the only selling point is the HDMI connection, and I don't even have a TV that supports it. The larger HDD, IMO, is not that big of a deal. I have several large demos on mine at the moment and there is about 6gb left. I know the argument about HD downloads, but they only stick around for a day and how long do most people keep a demo anyway after they have played through it. I will however say the larger HDD may one day become very useful seeing as how MS lifted the size cap on XBLA games. Not flaming anyone who may have bought an Elite that already had a Premium just stating my opinion on the matter. I think its a great deal and like I said already would buy one for sure if I was in the market for a 360 and didn't already own one.

there are a couple of applications here that i would like to see become available before jumping in bed with the 120gb hard drive.

more permanant media available for purchase on the marketplace. more tv shows...(Heroes..where art thou!?)...music?

also, don't forget the increased size of arcade titles (from 50mb to 150mb). surely due to developer demand, there are going to be more and more arcade titles taking up more and more real-estate on hard drives.

and in-game content as well. as the console increases with age, so will the number of games people have played, and the content downloaded for those games that might or might not be removed once the game isn't played any longer.

I don't feel cheated... I sold my launch console for $300, so I upgraded for the cost of the new HDD. Not a bad deal for me. I finally get to use HDMI on my projector and the black happens to match all the black and silver in my a/v rack.

Back