Xbox 360 to support keyboard / mouse?

AceTKK

Gawd
Has anybody heard any news on this front? I can't stand playing fps games with the control pad.

-Ace-

It will support the USB PC peripherals for text entry only. All games, present and future, will use the gamepad only. Plenty of petitions around, if you want to sign em, but MS has stated that they're sticking to it. They've gotta make money on their game pads :)

Perhaps one day modchippers will discover a hack. Or at the very least, homebrewed games may allow keyboard use. But to answer your question directly: no, never.

If you want to play FPS's, STAY ON YOUR PC. That's the *only* reason you should game on your PC. IE.. you want to play games not available on the consoles.

The closer consoles get to PC's, the worse it is.

Consoles are dead when:

Services like Xbox live become free.
Game "Patches" become common use.
A GUI operating system becomes standard.

On another note, I feel PC Games (save for a few genres) have become nothing more than technology demonstrations.

Unless you are one of the super rich, or just plan on not having ANY retirement savings, I'd turn away from PC's and never look back.

Developers are so afraid to fall behind in the technology race that real, innovative games are few and far between. Most PC Games are not "really" fun. They just serve to feed the addicts.

Important PC games: Id's big four, Quake, Subspace, Tribes, System Shock(s), Diablo, Half-life (plus select mods), Warcraft, pick a MMORPG. Fvck just about everything else.

The PC world has become a joke. There are no common standards. There is zip, zero, nadda centralized community. Free, player-operated servers is the worst idea in the fvcking world.

So, GG. Have fun continuing to spend huge amounts of money for each wave of PC games that get released. Unless, of course, you like playing in super-shitty resolutions with compromised graphics settings.

Me? I'm going back to consoles, with a vengeance. I'm tired of the waste of money required to keep a PC up to snuff. I'm tired of the cookie cutter RTS's. I'm tired of the cookie cutter FPS's. I'm tired of the assho|e admins who operate servers. I'm tired of the hackers. I'm tired of the macroers. I'm tired of the fat, ice cream munching skilless addicts who end up on my team on BF2. I'm tired of the bugs. I'm tired of games being released, then patch, then patched, then patched.. except all the patches take FOREVER to arrive. I'm tired of having to worry about if I am running my game/PC at optimum settings for the optimum FPS. I'm tired of the disconnected, free, abused online community.

I'd much rather come home, push a button, and play a *FUN* game.. or be able to get online and have hundreds of people (all of which I know value gaming enough to PAY for it aka Xbox LIVE) ready to play against on games like PGR3.

I plan on buying a Xbox360 (PGR3 plus more).. PS3 (Gradius, plus more), and Nintendo revolution (Zelda, plus more).

PC gaming has become the sh|t stain of the entertainment industry... and I don't see anyone closeby with a can of blue magic upholstery cleaner.

The Revolution's controller may be the first real alternative to the classic keyboard + mouse combination :eek:

The 360 looks to be open for mods/hacks. Sure microsoft probably has something built in to try to stop this, but they always mess up somewhere and some geeky guy sitting at his computer for hours analyzing code will find a way. Then the world will unite, hold hands and all that drival. :)

airiox said:
The 360 looks to be open for mods/hacks. Sure microsoft probably has something built in to try to stop this, but they always mess up somewhere and some geeky guy sitting at his computer for hours analyzing code will find a way. Then the world will unite, hold hands and all that drival. :)
No kidding. Looking at the 'arms race' between the PSP modding community and Sony, it's clear that Sony's attempts at 'securing' the handheld device are little more than a challenge for those desiring to run their own software on the PSP.

Of course, you could always build an external device which would convert the signals from the keyboard/mouse to the appropriate 'controller'-like signals. That would also be fun, albeit less than hacking the console, discarding whatever warranty was on it ^_-

forumpass said:
If you want to play FPS's, STAY ON YOUR PC. That's the *only* reason you should game on your PC. IE.. you want to play games not available on the consoles.

The closer consoles get to PC's, the worse it is.

Consoles are dead when:

Services like Xbox live become free.
Game "Patches" become common use.
A GUI operating system becomes standard.

On another note, I feel PC Games (save for a few genres) have become nothing more than technology demonstrations.

Unless you are one of the super rich, or just plan on not having ANY retirement savings, I'd turn away from PC's and never look back.

Developers are so afraid to fall behind in the technology race that real, innovative games are few and far between. Most PC Games are not "really" fun. They just serve to feed the addicts.

Important PC games: Id's big four, Quake, Subspace, Tribes, System Shock(s), Diablo, Half-life (plus select mods), Warcraft, pick a MMORPG. Fvck just about everything else.

The PC world has become a joke. There are no common standards. There is zip, zero, nadda centralized community. Free, player-operated servers is the worst idea in the fvcking world.

So, GG. Have fun continuing to spend huge amounts of money for each wave of PC games that get released. Unless, of course, you like playing in super-shitty resolutions with compromised graphics settings.

Me? I'm going back to consoles, with a vengeance. I'm tired of the waste of money required to keep a PC up to snuff. I'm tired of the cookie cutter RTS's. I'm tired of the cookie cutter FPS's. I'm tired of the assho|e admins who operate servers. I'm tired of the hackers. I'm tired of the macroers. I'm tired of the fat, ice cream munching skilless addicts who end up on my team on BF2. I'm tired of the bugs. I'm tired of games being released, then patch, then patched, then patched.. except all the patches take FOREVER to arrive. I'm tired of having to worry about if I am running my game/PC at optimum settings for the optimum FPS. I'm tired of the disconnected, free, abused online community.

I'd much rather come home, push a button, and play a *FUN* game.. or be able to get online and have hundreds of people (all of which I know value gaming enough to PAY for it aka Xbox LIVE) ready to play against on games like PGR3.

I plan on buying a Xbox360 (PGR3 plus more).. PS3 (Gradius, plus more), and Nintendo revolution (Zelda, plus more).

PC gaming has become the sh|t stain of the entertainment industry... and I don't see anyone closeby with a can of blue magic upholstery cleaner.

you have some good points and i too am getting tired of trying to keep my machines up to snuff.

Decent points except for paying for online play. You're bitching about price of updating your computer, but how about those online service charges adding up? In a year that's the price of a decent graphics card and that's how often I upgrade anyways. Since when does paying for shitty console only sevice make you a respected person?

What about the PS3 fully supporting KB and mouse AND shipping with a copy of linux on the HDD? I just read that they sent out Dev kits, part of which was designed to help make programs for linux.

Personaly, I won't touch a Sony product if I have the choice not to do so, but homebrewed games running in linux on a powerful machine sounds too good to be true for a console.

SnakeIRye said:
Decent points except for paying for online play. You're bitching about price of updating your computer, but how about those online service charges adding up? In a year that's the price of a decent graphics card and that's how often I upgrade anyways. Since when does paying for shitty console only sevice make you a respected person?

Wow you must get a hell of a good Video card for $70 bucks (Xbox Live 1 yr subscription)! :rolleyes:

Last time I checked your looking at 300-400 dollars for a top of the line or next to the top of the line Video card, and if you take a step down from the top-end card and already have a fairly beefy video card from the previous gen, well its pretty much useless to do so at that cost point. Then lets add in that every 2-3 years you need to switch out motherboards since a new standard comes along for your graphics card interface.

I still game on my PC and I have a Xbox and I have a Xbox360 on pre order, but also put me down in the camp of I'm tired of buying a new videocard every year so it can look halfway decent at full rez on my 24 inch LCD.

Id have to agree that PC gaming lately has been the same old same old concerning FPS and recent RTS nothing really innovative since HL2 and Rise of Nations.

But for every bad game out for PC there must be 3 out for console.

I have to admitthough if xbox 360 got a keyboard and mouse i might switch over just because it costs so much to maintain a quality gaming system.

GT98 said:
I'm tired of buying a new videocard every year so it can look halfway decent at full rez on my 24 inch LCD.

Maybe now you're starting to see the problem with 2400fpw. I have a 2000fpw and even 1680x1050 can be a problem, having to keep up with new technology at 1900x1200 or whatever it is, is a pretty rediculous expectation. You shouldn't bitch too much because the decisions you made require you to upgrade regularly. I knew going into it that I might be gimped with future games, but thats what I gave up in not getting a nice CRT instead.

Json23 said:
What about the PS3 fully supporting KB and mouse AND shipping with a copy of linux on the HDD? I just read that they sent out Dev kits, part of which was designed to help make programs for linux.

Personaly, I won't touch a Sony product if I have the choice not to do so, but homebrewed games running in linux on a powerful machine sounds too good to be true for a console.

Sony hasn't announced full keyboard and mouse support for PS3, man. And the Linux on hard drive story is that the *Hard drive* will ship with a custom version of Linux on it, not that the PS3 itself will ship with a hard drive and Linux (which is highly unlikely). Moreover, I doubt that most open source software for Linux would run on the PS3 architecture without being recompiled, which automatically eliminates 99% of end users from the equation.

I expect to get a PS3 eventually, for MGS4 and other titles, but for a computer? I don't think so. Besides, Cell is a f*cking joke, just like Xenon.

Jason

I will continue to hold on to HOPE that MS might realize there are a lot of gamers that would happly switch to the XBOX 360 if they would just allow key/mouse support. They did not support in on the original XBOX either but eventually two decent products came out of that from third parties. I think they are mostly concerned about scaring all the old school console gamers away if REAL gamers converge to the XBOX (-;

Sony hasn't announced full keyboard and mouse support for PS3, man. And the Linux on hard drive story is that the *Hard drive* will ship with a custom version of Linux on it, not that the PS3 itself will ship with a hard drive and Linux (which is highly unlikely). Moreover, I doubt that most open source software for Linux would run on the PS3 architecture without being recompiled, which automatically eliminates 99% of end users from the equation.

I expect to get a PS3 eventually, for MGS4 and other titles, but for a computer? I don't think so. Besides, Cell is a f*cking joke, just like Xenon.

1- YES, Sony has confirmed support for the Keyboard and Mouse, and Unreal Tournament 2007 has already been announced as supporting the use of Keyboard and Mouse.

2- I never once said that the PS3 would ship with a HDD. I did state that the HDD was pre-loaded with a version of Linux, and that Linux development kits were included with the dev kit.

3- How is it you are comparing the Sony CPU to the 360s GPU? The 360s GPU is the way future video cards are going to modeled after.

Json23 said:
3- How is it you are comparing the Sony CPU to the 360s GPU? The 360s GPU is the way future video cards are going to modeled after.
Xenon is the CPU, Xenos is the GPU.

Gnu314 said:
Maybe now you're starting to see the problem with 2400fpw. I have a 2000fpw and even 1680x1050 can be a problem, having to keep up with new technology at 1900x1200 or whatever it is, is a pretty rediculous expectation. You shouldn't bitch too much because the decisions you made require you to upgrade regularly. I knew going into it that I might be gimped with future games, but thats what I gave up in not getting a nice CRT instead.

Well I had a 2000FP myself and replaced it with the 2405, just that in overall terms theres no need to be replacing a video card nearly every year. Just from say 1998 on wards I've done this:

G200 Marvel with SLI Voodoo 2
G400 with SLI Voodoo 2
Radeon AIW..pre-8500
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9700 Pro
Radeon X800XL

Out of all those cards, the 9700 Pro lasted the longest when it came to gaming...it was just retired at the start of this year when I redid my old system and got my new one, I think it was almost 2 years before I replaced it. It ran 1600x1200 on most games without a hitch on my system too. I've already run into problems running newer games on my X800XL, like FEAR and quake 4, even at lower resultions 1024x768 in widescreeen mode lin Quake 4.

If I didnt have to get a new video card...irreguardless of the CRT or LCD I'm running nearly every year, I'd be happy.

GT98 said:
Wow you must get a hell of a good Video card for $70 bucks (Xbox Live 1 yr subscription)! :rolleyes:
It is actually $50 unless you want other perks like online monitary points.

You must get a really great video card for $50.

GT98 said:
It is actually $50 unless you want other perks like online monitary points.

You must get a really great video card for $50.

And no the X2 does not support a mouse or keyboard. It never will. The Xbox 3 will not support a keyboard mouse either.

Xenon is the CPU, Xenos is the GPU.

Doh!!!

You're right. I was wrong. Sorry. I forgot they were named so closely I didn't read closer.

Damn, that is the 2nd time today I was completely wrong about something. Maybe I should just crawl back into bed and start over again tomorrow..

Back