Xbox 360 Sales Surge, PS3 Sales Slump

HardOCP News

[H] News
As a reflection of the economic hard times, the Xbox 360’s price cut has helped it sell 33% more consoles last month while the more expensive PS3 dipped by 25%. Game sales were up 10% overall with the list completely dominated by Nintendo and Microsoft.

While the Xbox 360 (309k) raised its hardware profile by 33 percent over January 2008 (207k), both PlayStation 3 (203k) and PSP (172k) sales were down by 25 percent compared with January 2008's numbers (269k and 230k, respectively). The PS2 unsurprisingly experienced the sharpest drop, falling nearly 62 points year-over-year to 101k units.

I bought one. It makes a real nice HTPC along with the kids can play their games on it.

Sonys needs an answer to the Xbox Arcade and Pro.

For the majority of people, price is a major issue. I bet if we look at 360 sales, the sales of elite systems is going to suck too. People are going to pick up the Arcade and the Pro has some obvious upgrades that will make the extra $100 justified to many people.

I know when I get tempted to purchase a PS3, I just have to look at the cost of Bluray movies and the game selection; the temptation promptly goes away.

GoW3 may be the game to give it just enough good exclusive titles for me to justify getting one. Main reason I never bought one, not worth the cash for such few "good" games (exclusives anyway). If they actually had 'next gen' versions of all their old badass exclusive titles from ps1/2 I'd have bought one a very long time ago.

one title will make the ps3 come out of the coma that they are in these trouble some time with the economy. The game library for the Ps3 is inadequate , On top of that they really screwed their customer base by taking out ps2 support since a lot of people still enjoy their old games.
They need to fire their ceo and the whole damn board of directors for not doing their jobs. But hey you never know, they prob bankrupt sony and collect awesome bonues for it and then ask for a bail out.

one title will make the ps3 come out of the coma that they are in these trouble some time with the economy. The game library for the Ps3 is inadequate , On top of that they really screwed their customer base by taking out ps2 support since a lot of people still enjoy their old games.
They need to fire their ceo and the whole damn board of directors for not doing their jobs. But hey you never know, they prob bankrupt sony and collect awesome bonues for it and then ask for a bail out.

I assume you meant "one title WON'T". I'd have to agree, I was only speaking for myself. But yeah lack of titles imho was the steak through the heart for the ps3. I don't really care much about the ps2 support though, if I want to play old games i can pull an old system out of the closet. They just got the system out the door too late (the 360 was already fairly entrenched in the market) and didn't secure enough good exclusive titles soon enough. Sure it was and is a great piece of hardware, but they neglected to give people enough of a reason to want one to justify the cost.

I think as soon as GOW 3 comes out sony should follow with a $100 price drop. I beleive sales would skyrocket!

I assume you meant "one title WON'T". I'd have to agree, I was only speaking for myself. But yeah lack of titles imho was the steak through the heart for the ps3. I don't really care much about the ps2 support though, if I want to play old games i can pull an old system out of the closet. They just got the system out the door too late (the 360 was already fairly entrenched in the market) and didn't secure enough good exclusive titles soon enough. Sure it was and is a great piece of hardware, but they neglected to give people enough of a reason to want one to justify the cost.

yeah that what I meant.

This isn't surprising.

1) Removal of the PS2 support - Major Fail. This was a stupid move no matter how you cut it. I don't care if their analytic's show that 1% of the users actually use it. The simple reality is it is a Selling point. I have used the PS2 backwards compatibility of my PS3 once, but It was a selling point for me. I bought the 60gig for this reason and I snatched up an 80gig mgs4 bundle to have in case. Me not using it is irrelevant to the fact that I wanted the feature and Sony seriously screwed up by removing it.

2) Loss of exclusives - Major Fail. Sony got cheap and didn't do what it took to hold on to exclusive system movers. Even if they had to work a deal that they only held exclusivity for 1 year that makes a difference. Losing major titles like Final fantasy and others was a massive blow to Sony. What better way to not encourage 360 owners to buy a ps3 as well then to not make them wait a year for a port. Only reason I bought a 360 was because i wanted a game that wouldn't be out on the ps3 for at least a year. Like it or not it is a selling point. You can't blame developers, they do what is best for their bottom line. Sony screwed up by not looking out for their bottom line and now Sony's bottom line is going to suffer.

3) Home has taken too long. Too much hype not enough substance.

4) Little big planet, too much hype not enough substance.

5) Failing to capitalize on the fact that their web service is free. Honestly the PSN/PSS is really really great. Considering how short of a time it has been around compared to Xbox Live you can't not be impressed. Sony needs to put far more effort into the XMB and PSN and really put the polish on and Advertise the utter hell out of it. They aren't quite at Live's standard yet, but when you factor in cost difference PSN is extremely attractive if people really knew what it was. I canned my Live member ship a long time ago because it ceased offering value. Sony is on the right track with free, but they gotta make people want it. Just offhand mentioning of it and not pushing it's features does not cut it.

6) The continued allowance of Kaz to run his mouth...I mean seriously. I might only be a BA, but I would make a better exec then that guy and generate far more positive press then he ever will. Sony seems stuck in this idea that any press is good press...That is so far from the truth it is almost sad.

Don't get me wrong, I hands down prefer the PS3 as a system over the wii and 360. I own all 3 and the PS3 gets hand over fist more use then the other two. However Sony as a company is failing as a whole on all fronts right now. Their PR is terrible, their offerings are terrible and their inability to be flexible are continuing to beat them down. Microsoft and Nintendo are Not beating Sony...Sony is beating themselves out of the market.

in before "wait until ______" (fill in blank with killzone 2 or god of war 3 -Previous titles used in this fill in the blank may not be used, including lbp, and mgs4)

Also in before killzone gifs.

Drop the friggin bluray already and price it at $250. I mean, i think it's probably too late for that, but that should have been the strategy from the beginning.

in before "wait until ______" (fill in blank with killzone 2 or god of war 3 -Previous titles used in this fill in the blank may not be used, including lbp, and mgs4)

Also in before killzone gifs.

Missed it. There was already a God of War 3 comment.

Missed it. There was already a God of War 3 comment.

True, though nobody's claimed it going to be sonys savior either. It's just way too late for that.

So not really a full "owned" worthy, maybe only like .25xOwned =p.

Not a surprise that PS2 sales dropped,just about everyone has one by now.And Sony still hasn't caught on to the fact we're in the middle of an economic mess,the PS3 is still overpriced.

I'm not into MGS 4. My brother and I played LBP, Drakes Fortune, and Heavenly Sword.

Two games which last about as long as maybe one actual game. Probably finished both in about 9 hours total. I'm really disappointed in Sony's line up so far. Kill Zone 2 seems interesting though... maybe after my L4D frenzy is over!

Hate to say it but even with the cost of blu-ray and the limited selection, the thing is pretty much a black brick.

You just have to look at how much display room the systems get to see who is winning.

Last night at my local Walmart, the DS games filled up 2 display cases and they had 3 cases worth of Wii games. The 360 had 2 cases to itself. The PS2, PSP and PS3 each had one case.

So when someone walks in, they see a wall of kid/family friendly Nintendo games, a large selection of teen/adult 360 games, and back in the corner sits the PS3. If you look at the games they carry too, most of the PS3 games are crappy games (such as movie tie-ins) available on the other consoles.

Sony has lost the important customer's first impression due to how much the display areas in stores like Walmart are taken up by other systems.

Drop the friggin bluray already and price it at $250. I mean, i think it's probably too late for that, but that should have been the strategy from the beginning.

Not going to happen and not the problem, seriously get over it already. HDDVD is dead and will not be coming back..Ever.

That would work if all the games weren't on BR.

How would they do that...reissue their entire back catalog on dvd?

Why can't Yahoo do math?
The sales increased by 49%, not 33%. If it had gone from 309K to 207K it would be a fall of 33%.
They computed the fall of 25% for the PS3 correctly, so presumably they can't calculate rising percentages.

The Bluray cat is out of the bag, and there is no way that they can go back on it now.

Look at the drop in cost for stand alone bluray players and Bluray-ROM (??) drives. The extra cost associated with putting in the player should have dropped significantly for Sony. It would be way more expensive to reissue all the games and there is no way that all of the 3rd party developers would even do it.

I am so ready for ps4. I have been waiting for soo long that I will probally skip this console generation. I do not wan to buy a 33% chance of failure. Wii is just to flaccid in the graphics dept. The ps3 is good but not good enough to fork over that much cash for the goods. Maybe if it came with one of those 3d helmets thenI would bite.

PS3 is probably the best designed console ever. Its a shame its not doing better but games are what makes a system and that head start really payed off for 360.

I am so ready for ps4. I have been waiting for soo long that I will probally skip this console generation. I do not wan to buy a 33% chance of failure. Wii is just to flaccid in the graphics dept. The ps3 is good but not good enough to fork over that much cash for the goods. Maybe if it came with one of those 3d helmets thenI would bite.

Wii games are very entertaining and not not need the high powered graphics

Every single game is on bluray? Even the ones that are small enough to fit on DVD? I honestly didn't know that. I knew like MGS4 would be, and maybe one or two others, but assumed they used dual layer DVDs for the rest. Doesn't seem cost effective, let alone leave their options open for the future. One thing you can give them, they were really dedicated to going down in flames with Bluray.

I use mine as a bluray player, media center, and for MLB The Show 08' by far the best baseball game out... and 09 is coming out soon! :)

Not going to happen and not the problem, seriously get over it already. HDDVD is dead and will not be coming back..Ever.

A better way of saying that happens to be right below.... HDDVD had nothing to do with Sony's price or his argument.

Yea, that whole 33% thing to a new buyer... Well unless you like a dead horse that's been dead for a year or so then go ahead. But to everyone else, that "15%" problem is not applicable anymore thanks to the last 2 revisions of the console.

PS3 is probably the best designed console ever. Its a shame its not doing better but games are what makes a system and that head start really payed off for 360.
Heh, ask all the developers that dropped exclusivity for it and cancelled projects that had started. Good idea bad application.

Xbox the console sucks, the only reason I have one is for the games. I still dont get where they can get off selling so many defective consoles?

thank god for PC.
me and my quad core are skipping this horrible and disappointing generation...

I feel like things aren't as grim as people like to make it. I mean sure both companies are probably in the red per sale, Sony more so than Microsoft, but aren't the worldwide sales more like 22 million(PS3) to 28 million(Xbox360) -- so a 6 (+/-1) million unit gap with a 12 month head start. It's not all that bad, but the ps3 is definitely lacking in quality games, xbox is totally dominating the fps genre.. which seems to be the only means to gain console sales these days. Sigh.

Even if 2009 isn't the holy grail for sony games... at least I got my PS3 for like $90 net of the ms live cashbacks, haha, damn fine bluray player.

I feel like things aren't as grim as people like to make it. I mean sure both companies are probably in the red per sale, Sony more so than Microsoft, but aren't the worldwide sales more like 22 million(PS3) to 28 million(Xbox360) -- so a 6 (+/-1) million unit gap with a 12 month head start. It's not all that bad, but the ps3 is definitely lacking in quality games, xbox is totally dominating the fps genre.. which seems to be the only means to gain console sales these days. Sigh.

Even if 2009 isn't the holy grail for sony games... at least I got my PS3 for like $90 net of the ms live cashbacks, haha, damn fine bluray player.

Actually, the 360 has been turning a profit for MS since around Jan 08. If you remember when MS announced it was laying off people back in January 09, they stated that sales of the 360 are one of the main things keeping the company profitable.

Sony is the only one still selling their consoles at a loss, I think it isn't a huge loss any more, but it is still a loss. This is why MS was able to easily drop their prices, while Sony hasn't.

So it can be seen as that bad. Nintendo has been making money on the Wii since day one and right now their profits margin in crazy high. The 360 is making MS a good deal of money, both on hardware sales and xbox live subscription fees. Then their is Sony who is still hemorrhaging money.

I suppose so. =_=

We could always try to factor in the fan-person-friendly "the RROD fiasco cost Microsoft potentially $1.15 Billion", where does that put them in the Red/Black?

Haha, this gen of consoles is so dysfunctional:
PS3 - no games - sony loses money on it, overall (for now)
360 - Games but first year or two's consoles prone to dying.
Wii - ...Was fun until.. uhh.. shovelware took over.

I give up, PC's pwn for gaming anyway.

Sony needs to have Square Enix remake FFVII. That would single-handedly give Sony a lead.

I suppose so. =_=

We could always try to factor in the fan-person-friendly "the RROD fiasco cost Microsoft potentially $1.15 Billion", where does that put them in the Red/Black?

Why is it so hard to understand this. The expense of the console due to development and RRoD is already booked. The hit has been taken. Every 360 console is bringing in cash. You don't have to worry about selling them going forward as they are turning a profit. Long range...well, you have to wait until the 360 is completely out of the market before you can decide if it was overall profitable. It does not make sense to talk about that now. But for now, each and every console is a profit, having already booked the expenses of the past that got it to this point.

With Sony, they lost (supposedly) so much money on the PS3 so far that it has actually eaten up all the money made by the PS2. However, maybe the Blu-Ray win will ultimately score Sony tons of $$ going forward. Don't know.

If the 360 did not exist (and I own one) I would probably consider a PS3 at the 400 dollar mark. That is what I bought the 360 for and even still, I used some gift cards I got for my bday to bring it down to 150 out of pocket. 400 bucks is a lot however you look at it.

Back