Xbox 360 Reliability Poll

How is your 360 holding up?

• Perfect! I am still on my first unit.

Votes: 95 49.0%
  • I am on my 2nd unit.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I have had to get more than 2 replacements.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I just like voting in polls.

Votes: 32 16.5%

• Total voters
got mine in dec 05 and haven't had a problem. A friend of mine is on his 3rd replacement though.

I have two Xbox 360 consoles and both are fine. One was bought at launch and the other late last year during the holidays.

November 06 unit here...no problems at all and I've played just about the entire library of games through a rental service.

I'm on my 3rd, each console seemed to last about 6 months before having issues. Buy it from costco so you can just exchange it.

Does Costco's new 90 day return policy apply to consoles? I'm thinking about buying one there.

Mine crapped out do to the Red Ring of Death (Overheating). I recently got my replacement back and as a extra precaution I taped two 120mm silent fans to the unit. One on the back and on the side and I also replaced the fans in them with higher CFM's and I took out the cooling system pipeline and replaced the gooy stuff in the heatsinks with artic silver ceramique. Been going strong since.

won mine from the mountain dew every10minutes contest, which is a launch unit (date on back 10/17/2005). i haven't had any problems with it at all. and this is about the fifth poll on message boards i have replied to saying it's fine, so i don't believe saying it's fine will make it blow. ;)

I've had mine for about a year now, and it's still going strong. I haven't checked the date on the back yet, but I got it used, so who knows how long it's been going.

My co-worker just had 2 go bad yesterday, 1 which had already gotten repaired once before. He's having some bad luck.

I've got a launch system. I've had the 3 flashing red lights twice but rebooting cleared it up both times. I was also having some freezing issues but i'm pretty sure they were just heat related. I'm probably going to pick up an Elite unit and sell the current one. Newer and (hopefully) more reliable technology FTW.

You can add 3 more votes to "I'm on my second unit" on top of whatever it is at the moment. Myself and 3 other friends all purchased X360s within a 6 month period. I got mine at the Zero Hour event, then my friends a few months later. All of us got the 3 red lights of doom within 3 months of each other. Mine was the last to go, but the first one bought. Mine was still under warranty so we got it repaired for free, same goes for one other buddy. My two other friends bought theirs in 06, and MS didn't extend the warranty for them at this time so they coughed up $100 some odd dollars to repair them only to have MS extend the warranty 2 weeks later.

So 4 out of 4 X360's broke at some period.. they're still fun though. :)

Just lost mine to the three rings of death tonight. Had it almost a year. I wonder if I could just pay the difference for an elite now.

I've had mine about a year, maybe more, and it still works great. Occasionally I'll turn it on and it'll sound pretty bad, like a fan's about to go or something, but if I turn it off and back on again it's fine.

Just a question guys but have you all connected the 360 to a surge protector of some kind. B/c I just read the manual and it stated that "you do NOT need a surge protector, this unit already has protection built in." I had mine plugged in a surge protector when it broke and so have alot of people lately. Go figure. Just don't plug your 360 into a surge protector b/c it already has surge protection.

I have had mine for about 6 months and havent had to return it yet. I did have the red lights once but that sorted itself out. Dont ask me how. I turned it off, left for a while came back and got pissed then smacked the DVD drive and it seemed to work fine after that. I always get angry at people that hit their electronics thinking its going to help, well I guess it does. I now leave the console laying on its side, heard you get less problems with the DVD tray that way.

Just a question guys but have you all connected the 360 to a surge protector of some kind. B/c I just read the manual and it stated that "you do NOT need a surge protector, this unit already has protection built in." I had mine plugged in a surge protector when it broke and so have alot of people lately. Go figure. Just don't plug your 360 into a surge protector b/c it already has surge protection.

I wonder how many people have messed their systems up accidentally that way.

Microsoft needs to put a sticker on the brick. I know you should read the manual, but honestly...who really does unless there is a problem?

Back