XBox 360 Reliability or.....RROD x 2 !!!

magoo

[H]F Junkie
Has anybody purchased an XBox 360 in the last year???? New???

I'm just wondering if the latest models have any greater reliability???

I bought one on release day 10/2005. (started using it at Christmas)
It went down to the RROD in 3/2007......so I sent it in for service.....I was one of the first bunch and we received the "extra" RROD warranty extension.

My refurbished unit just went RROD Sunday.....3/2007>6/2008......deja Vu, no?? Almost exactly 15 month's of life before the damn thing bellys up.
I get my return box tomorrow.

Are these any better currently???? Or am I stuck in XBox hell untill the XBox 460 or whatever comes out???

Unless they send you back one of the new Opus models (Falcon motherboard minus HDMI port) you're likely to be stuck on the RRoD merry-go-round forever. As far as I've seen they're unable to provide reliable refurbished machines.

Yes, the latest models are far more reliable, but that's not going to help you unless you sell the old one.

Unless they send you back one of the new Opus models (Falcon motherboard minus HDMI port) you're likely to be stuck on the RRoD merry-go-round forever. As far as I've seen they're unable to provide reliable refurbished machines.

Yes, the latest models are far more reliable, but that's not going to help you unless you sell the old one.

Thanks.
I'll put up with this one more time......then my original 3 year RROD warranty will be gone.
Once the one year refurb warranty expires, if history repeats itself, I will be left DOA about 10/2009......and then I'll have to make a decision about getting a new unit.

This refurb thing is getting pretty silly. I don't know why MS just doesn't admit defeat and give people new, more reliable units......but then, some guys in El Paso would be out of a job.:D

Well, that's what the Opus revision is for... but I think only a couple of them have been spotted in the wild. In an ideal world they'd give everyone new boxes, but you'd have people breaking their machines to get HDMI.

Well, that's what the Opus revision is for... but I think only a couple of them have been spotted in the wild. In an ideal world they'd give everyone new boxes, but you'd have people breaking their machines to get HDMI.

Is the opus the Elite model's baseline set up????
If not, how would you know you got one unless it had HDMI???

Trust me, I'm not for one minute thinking I'll get back anything but a refurbished RROD model.

Short of testing how much power it's drawing... or it being quieter, you wouldn't. But that's kinda the point. Broken elites would be replaced with Falcon or Zephyr models, I guess depending on what they have around at the time.

As for what you're getting back... you're likely right, it'll be a long time before the new revision refurbs will be the norm.

Is the opus the Elite model's baseline set up????

Trust me, I'm not for one minute thinking I'll get back anything but a refurbished RROD model.

I presume the Opus revision is the board with the 65nm chips but no HDMI that's designed to fit in the old chassis. The Elite and Pro models use the Falcon revision board. I personally have a Falcon 360 that's been functioning fine since December, and from what I hear the failure rates are extremely low compared to the earlier revisions, although unfortunately you won't be getting back a Falcon from an RMA'd older model.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fix it yourself and be done with it for good. If you can build a PC let alone install an upgrade card, you can fix the 360.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fix it yourself and be done with it for good. If you can build a PC let alone install an upgrade card, you can fix the 360.

But why?
Why should I waste my time doing this whem MS will do it and foot the bill; and give me another 1 year warranty.
If I "fix" it and brick it, I'm out 400 dollars.;)

I'm hoping I'll get one of those OPUS models ( I like the term "Zombie XBox") that supposedly have upgraded components.....we'll see.

Most likely this thread will repeat in 15 months.

They don't give you another year warranty. Your warranty period expires one year from the date of original purchase and 3 years for the RROD. The warranty is no different than most, where the expiration is the one year anniversary of the original product purchase. Not one year each time you receive a new console.

Also, the people who report multiple RROD's are the one's who sent their original 360 in, and ended up on the carousel of broken/fixed 360's. If yours works good and you're happy with it, why send it back to them so they can send you someone else's POS. Not to mention the downtime you'll have waiting for it to return although I have heard they are pretty quick about it and especially the closer you live to Texas.

I got a 1 year warranty "extension" with my first RROD replacement.
AND I qualified for the extended 3 year from original purchase RROD warranty, which is why I'm sendind this second unit back.

I'm not getting someone else's POS XBox, I'm getting a refurb, my last one worked for 15 months before it gave out, exactly the same amount of time my original one worked.

I don't mind taking my chances.

It took exactly 1 week last time for me to get my replacement.

I'm getting a refurb, my last one worked for 15 months before it gave out, exactly the same amount of time my original one worked.

Either you have bad math or you typoed your dates. According to what you stated your first one lasted all of three months, not fifteen.

My first unit lasted about 8 months. #2 is doing well (knock on wood) after 15 and if it goes belly up I'll send it back too. I've built all of my own PCs for the last 10+ years so I'm sure I am capable of looking under the hood but if it's under warranty why risk creating a $400 paperweight? My 360 isn't so central to my existence that I can't wait a couple of weeks for a replacement.

Either you have bad math or you typoed your dates. According to what you stated your first one lasted all of three months, not fifteen.

My first unit lasted about 8 months. #2 is doing well (knock on wood) after 15 and if it goes belly up I'll send it back too. I've built all of my own PCs for the last 10+ years so I'm sure I am capable of looking under the hood but if it's under warranty why risk creating a $400 paperweight? My 360 isn't so central to my existence that I can't wait a couple of weeks for a replacement.

Yes, sorry typo.....2005,not 2006.
I feel the same way, if MS wants to foot the repair bill,so be it. Plus the 360 case does not simply unscrew like a PC case.
I, as well, know my way around a PC......but I'm not going to take the 360 apart.
I can wait a week.

Only thing the opus models have are the upgraded cooling and the 65nm cpu in a old xenon motherboard

There will be a slip saying that it is an opus model now and there will also be a new 175w power brick in the box.

i bought my xbox back in Jan. 08 So it's been about 7months. I use it as a media extender.. Play a shit ton of games, watch movies from PC with it, and music.. It's on almost as much as my PC.

If any XBOX was to RROD i'd figure it'd be mine, but damn if it hasn't held it's own.

where did you bring it?

i bought it from hmv the next day after my 360 failed for the 6th time and now since my 360 has come back from repair i must of clocked maybe 20mins in total of game time on it and that was just to check if it works lol and it happened a few months ago. now its just sitting there collecting dust and my room is now peaceful and quiet. to the op. your lucky its only twice yours has failed. count yourself lucky mate and if your fed up of 360's piss poor console in terms of build quality, invest on a ps3. you wont regret it. most of the games on the 360 are also on the ps3 plus bluray aint bad either

i bought my xbox back in Jan. 08 So it's been about 7months. I use it as a media extender.. Play a shit ton of games, watch movies from PC with it, and music.. It's on almost as much as my PC.

If any XBOX was to RROD i'd figure it'd be mine, but damn if it hasn't held it's own.

One of my friend said the same thing except that he used his 360 for about 8 months, a few days later his 360 died, so you could only have one month left in your 360 :p

I have had my Elite since October 2007. It's not the new Falcon mb but has the better cooling. I have had zero issues so far, but I only average about 6-8 hours a week or so on it. My only complaint about it is how loud the DVD drive is.

I can't say anything bad about the overall gaming on the 360.....for a console it is really quite good, the on-line aspects are well done. You have to admit the whole deal is quite innovative.............it's just the damn box is not as reliable as it should be.

I don't think I've met anybody yet with a box over 18 months old that hasn't seen RROD at least once.
Good job security for the repair center.:eek:

Back