XBox 360 on LCDs: Is there a difference between VGA and HDMI?

makots

n00b
I just purchased a XBOX360 which has both a VGA and a HDMI port. I have both the VGA adapter and a HDMI cable for it. I have heard different stories concerning whether there is a visible difference in overall picture quality between using VGA or HDMI with the 360 on a LCD monitor. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

In what respect? Overall clarity or does HDMI eliminate the so-called "washed out color effect" I have read about when connecting the 360 via VGA. Thanks

HDMI carries a digital signal, whereas VGA is analog. Technically, if you use HDMI, the picture should be pixel perfect. Whenever I switch from component to HDMI, I notice an increase in sharpness/clarity. Switching from VGA to HDMI should result in a sharper picture and better colours, at least when talking about the Xbox 360. The best thing to do would be to try both out, and see which one you like better, then stick with it.

mattrickulater

Honestly, there are Videophile's (The same kids that complain between TN, PVA, and IPS Panels as well) that will nitpick all day long about this issue. Unless you have a keen eye for detail VGA should be fine for you. Of course to answer the question between Digital and Analog, I know you'd pick digital. But I doubt in that sense you'll notice the difference. My brother still uses his VGA for his 360, while I use HDMI for my Elite. We couldn't tell the difference what-so-ever.

I tried my xbox 360 with several 22" TN's and with the VGA cable I kept getting this weird white glowing halo around the edges of moving objects, obviously some type of ghosting I guess. But when I tried with an HDMI to DVI cable the ghosting completely dissapeared and things looked perfect. (aside from the picture being stretched to 16:10 and extremely bland/washed out colors, but thats TN for ya)

I also tried my 360 with a 24" BenQ FP241WZ and could not notice a difference between HDMI and VGA at all. The colors looked great and there was little to no ghosting of any kind with either cable. If it wasn't for the high input lag and crappy backlight I would've kept that monitor.

I am sure if you put them side by side you can tell some things, but for the most part? Not really. I have a friend with an elite and he has it connected HDMI vs mine that is just VGA and playing a game on his vs mine, I can't tell a difference other than the fact that I like my contrast up higher than he does ;)

Again, if we had them side by side I would imagine things would be different. However, the difference is not enough that you can tell otherwise. At least not from what I have seen.

I agree with most of the posters that there *should* be little noticeable difference if the analog input to your monitor is implemented properly. It really depends on your monitor more than anything else.

But if given a choice, I'd use the HDMI input if you had HDMI ports free, if not then VGA shouldn't be a problem. Since you have both cables, why don't you try both and decide for yourself?

If you didn't already have an XBOX360 VGA cable, an HDMI cable from monoprice would be A LOT cheaper than a $20 VGA output cable for the 360, and that would clinch it for me to go HDMI.

Thanks for the information. I guess then that going HDMI will not help with the "washed out" color effect after all. For reference, my monitor is a 22" Sceptre TN Panel. If only I could afford a 24" S-IPS :}

Back to back, trying both I can see in increase in sharpness and clarity of colors. Is VGA acceptable? Sure, but if there is the option I would go with HDMI. I would also bet that it depends alot on the display that you're using.

Back