xbox 360 & Linksys BEFSRv1 (version 2) problems

zombeh

[H]ard|Gawd
I cannot seem to connect my xbox 360 to my router. When i reset defaults on the xbox it turns off my computers internet. I have a linksys befsr41 v2 and i can't even log in to my router settings. the default ip 192.168.1.1 isn't working and I've tried a lot of others. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

More details are needed.

What modem do you have? What port is it connected to on the router?
How are you attempting to connect the xbox? Wired or wireless? If wired, what port are you plugging it into?
How do you connect your computer? Wired or wireless? If wired, what port are you plugging it into?
What do you mean by "turning off" your computer's internet?

There are also many posts on Google about incompatibly with Xbox Live for this router - where even port-forwarding doesn't seem to fix the issue. Regardless, it shouldn't be "turning off" your computer's internet.

Try resetting your BEFSR41 to defaults and then go in and change the admin password asap. Once you're at a clean starting point, try XBL again -- if you've still got the same issues, post back here.

Its a motorola surfboard. My computer is plugged into port 2, and my xbox into port 3 of the wired router.

I can't reset my router to defaults since i cannot log into my router. I've tried unplugging it for minutes and hitting the reset button but no go.

You don't need to log into it --- unplug everything from it, unplug it from power, wait a minute, plug it back into power, use a pen to press and hold the reset button until all the lights go out and come back. Now plug your computer (only) into one of the LAN ports. Try and go to the default website.

IF you still cannot get into the site after all that, the router may just be dead. Time to get a new one.

IF you can get into the site, change the password immediately then reconnect everything else and try XBL again.

I will try tonight, and report back. I doubt it's dead though, I am plugged in it right now.

Back