xbox 360 is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So their product has failed twice on you, but its a great product...

Have peoples standards really become so low?

+1

Also spending half an hour on the phone with Microsoft, waiting for a prepaid box, and dropping it off yourself at a UPS store isn't what I'd call painless.

But once again... having lacking cooling that isnt sufficent is like i said, bad craftsmanship. They should properly test to ensure the devices work properly. My point is still valid, bad design. Either lower the power or beef up the cooling.

While all this would affect price, marketability, etc, it still doesnt change that a bad design is a piss poor bad design.

Well, I think part of the problem here isn't MS or Sony, but the consumers. Both MS and Sony catch hell when their consoles are "too big" or "too loud", and even though they were/are both sold at a loss it's still "too expensive".

I'm sure both companies could build a large, non silent, pricey, console that wouldn't have a failure rate above the acceptable line... but the company that pulls that stunt would be ridiculed and lose the console war.

Well, I think part of the problem here isn't MS or Sony, but the consumers. Both MS and Sony catch hell when their consoles are "too big" or "too loud", and even though they were/are both sold at a loss it's still "too expensive".

I'm sure both companies could build a large, non silent, pricey, console that wouldn't have a failure rate above the acceptable line... but the company that pulls that stunt would be ridiculed and lose the console war.

You make a good point. But building failing devices can also cause you to lose consumer confidence and "lose the console war". However it seems people are willing to accept so little now.

Truthfully, Nintendo is the only company winning the console war. Business exist to make a profit. And Nintendo is slaughtering MS and Sony in that department, with a little reliable not very powerful box.

+1

Also spending half an hour on the phone with Microsoft, waiting for a prepaid box, and dropping it off yourself at a UPS store isn't what I'd call painless.

Oh jeeze, go read my post. You'll understand that I'm not a fanboy of any sort. The Xbox 360 does offer some of the best features out there, and I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had them, but after 4 consoles, I'm done with the damned thing. But - that doesn't mean their customer service is bad. Each and every time, the service was great. I got through quickly and the actual conversation that took place was probably 3 minutes. Box came 2 days later, sent it back, replacement came 2 days later. That is what I'd call pretty damned painless, especially when compared to other companies' customer service. Most will agree that MS has pretty good customer service. I mean, after the 2nd one I got RROD'd on me after only 4 days, I sent a note asking for a newer model - and they actually gave one to me (manufactured that same month).

Of course, everyone's service experience isn't going to be perfect all the time, but that's to be expected. Just quit acting like MS has this horrible, terrible service - because it's simply not true.

The original Xbox 360's are ALL a problem. Microsoft admitted to this after they caved. Microsoft went on to change their warranty to 3 years to cover this issue and to avoid a lengthy and expensive recall.

That is a fact.

Now, not everybody has had an Xbox 360 that has failed. Further yet, the new Xbox 360s have shown to be at industry average failure rates. Finally, there are millions of people who love their console, the features that it offers, and the games that it plays.

Just because somebody doesn't like the fact that the Xbox 360 has failed, people should just accept the the opinion and gratification of those who enjoy their Xbox 360, repaired or never repaired.

Deal with it. People like it. Even with all those RRODs, the Xbox 360 is still in 2nd place by about a 9 million console lead. To me, that means people like their 360, and people continue to buy the Xbox 360.

Further yet, the new Xbox 360s have shown to be at industry average failure rates

The 360s at launch were fine too. Give it a little longer before you claim everything is fixed. Also the VAST majority of Xbox's are not Jaspers and still have a high failure rate.

To me, that means people like their 360, and people continue to buy the Xbox 360.

How many of those are people who bought a 2nd and 3rd console after their orginal RRoD?

However in some cases the damn thing will YLOD soon after you get it back.

I haven't really heard of that with official Sony repair service. Their letter basically said the special BGA IR rig costs something like $40 grand and most places aren't doing the rework to the proper IEEE standards.

In regards to Baker's failure. Was it that noisy? My 60gb is always below the fast fan speed. Even after playing for hours. Did you notice it getting louder over time ? They do run a bit hotter than the 65nm cell/90nm rsx model, but the original models have a robust, bigger/heavier heatsink. Folding@Home .... I tried it once on the PS3 but thought it wasn't a good idea to leave it running 24/7.

To be fair my PC has a ton more power than either of the consoles, and runs 24/7... folding when I'm not using it, and is rock solid stable and doesnt crash.

Power has nothing to do with it. Its a cheap excuse. A poorly made product will fail, and a well made one wont.

Generally accepted failure rates for electronics are about 3%, anything higher and it's a sign of poor craftsmanship.

Everything has a failure rate, even PC components. I've had several harddrives die on me, a graphics card die, ram and mobo... even well made products can still fail.

I haven't really heard of that with official Sony repair service. Their letter basically said the special BGA IR rig costs something like $40 grand and most places aren't doing the rework to the proper IEEE standards.

In regards to Baker's failure. Was it that noisy? My 60gb is always below the fast fan speed. Even after playing for hours. Did you notice it getting louder over time ? They do run a bit hotter than the 65nm cell/90nm rsx model, but the original models have a robust, bigger/heavier heatsink. Folding@Home .... I tried it once on the PS3 but thought it wasn't a good idea to leave it running 24/7.

My 60G wasn't that loud. I just used it a lot, for both gaming and folding. I think running it 24/7 for almost 2 years, enough dust built up inside that wasn't affected by pressurized air, where it over heated and died on me. I was in the middle of playing Warhawk when it just froze. I got up and turned it off manually. When I went to turn it back on, it went to a green light, to a blinking yellow light.

My 80G has been very good to me though and I've stopped folding@home :p

demingo said:
So their product has failed twice on you, but its a great product...

Have peoples standards really become so low?

+1

Well, if you expect every product that you buy to perform exactly as advertised and to never fail, then you have some pretty unrealistic expectations of your purchases.

The first failure occurred after over a year of operation. The second one occurred about 6 months after that. Shit happens. It's the support you get after something goes wrong that defines a great purchase and good customer experience. I got amazing support from Microsoft.

You definitely can't please everyone, and some people will always have a horrible experience from any product. Shit happens, and sometimes your on the wrong end of the stick. Just deal with it.

BTW, the UPS store was in walking distance to me, so it was very painless.

Im fairly suprised with so many people saying their xbox failing or something. I got mine within the 2-3 month it came out and its still working just fine. My cds are causing more problems for me than the xbox. (scratches)

+1

However its FREE, when the PS3 costs $150 to replace which isn't what I call painless.

See I can do it too.

release xbox core edition 2005, and pro edition from 2008 all work fine.

The core edition I bought because they had supply issues the first couple of months, and the core was all I was able to find late one night in walmart.

But Your 360 has a better chance of failing. you see i can do it too :rolleyes:

Says you, I had my 360 for 2 YEARS before I got the RRODs, sent away to Microsoft for 2 weeks, FREE SHIPPING, and has been working fine since.:D
But I am still going to buy an Elite, that black cover with the 120GB hardrive is just waaaayyyy too sexy:eek:

My launch 360 lasted over a year and a half.. before it RRoD'd.

I've had 1 360 fail on me and 1 PS3 fail on me (bluray drive went out).

Truthfully, Nintendo is the only company winning the console war.

And yet all people who have a Wii probably also have a 360 or PS3. At least all my friends who do. So I highly doubt Nintendo is "winning". I'll admit they're doing well, but that is only because they sacrificed quality graphics for motion capture. And even this edge won't last long, because MS already has something much better in the works, and you don't have to buy a brand new console to get it, nor sacrifice the picture quality.

Look out world! Project Natal IS GOING TO POWN!!!!

Last edited:
And yet all people who have a Wii probably also have a 360 or PS3. At least all my friends who do. So I highly doubt Nintendo is "winning". I'll admit they're doing well, but that is only because they sacrificed quality graphics for motion capture. And even this edge won't last long, because MS already has something much better in the works, and you don't have to buy a brand new console to get it, nor sacrifice the picture quality.

I wouldn't get to excited just yet for Natal, Balmer has went on the record saying when it is released it will have a pricing curve, which all electronics do but MS charges 150 bucks for a 120gb HD STILL, how much do you think Natal will be when it's released?

I'm betting around 100-150 range and if thats the case it will not sell quickly in my opinion.

You can't bring this thread back from the dead for at least another few weeks. We need one monthly you see.

on a side note i will buy ur rrod 360 with good seal for $50 as it takes 15 min to fix them.

Says you, I had my 360 for 2 YEARS before I got the RRODs, sent away to Microsoft for 2 weeks, FREE SHIPPING, and has been working fine since.:D
But I am still going to buy an Elite, that black cover with the 120GB hardrive is just waaaayyyy too sexy:eek:

My launch 360 has been back twice. The last time was about 2 years ago. Been fine ever since. I do think its pretty crappy I have to send it back, I do however think it rocks that MS is standing behind the product and fixing them. That says a lot coming from me as I hate most things microsoft. I just put a deposit down on the MW2 Console as I need a 360 with HDMI for the media room. I was just going to get the elite but I figured I needed two more controllers and the 250gb hdd.

Meh I'm one of the ones who think the whole RRoD is overrated. I have a 360 and PS3, and my 360 is a launch Pro unit. It has easily over 200 days played and has tons of deep scratches on it from serious travel both within the states and out. I bought it off the net and had it shipped out to Iraq where it got playtime during lulls in missions. We had it inside of an AC'ed tent but it still got dirty as hell.

When I shake it it rattles on the inside and the disc drive is loud as fuck. It has been dropped several times and the faceplate's usb flip thing is broken off.

It has never RRoD'ed on me.

Meh I'm one of the ones who think the whole RRoD is overrated. I have a 360 and PS3, and my 360 is a launch Pro unit. It has easily over 200 days played and has tons of deep scratches on it from serious travel both within the states and out. I bought it off the net and had it shipped out to Iraq where it got playtime during lulls in missions. We had it inside of an AC'ed tent but it still got dirty as hell.

When I shake it it rattles on the inside and the disc drive is loud as fuck. It has been dropped several times and the faceplate's usb flip thing is broken off.

It has never RRoD'ed on me.

See, that may be - but your claim of "the RROD is overrated" would make a LOT more sense if the problem wasn't so widespread. It's not just some sensationalist claim; the problem is acknowledged and very real.

EDIT: with that said, the launch unit I waited 15 hours for in line lasted a good 2 years before it RROD'd on me. It may last you a while, but the RROD is just bound to happen. I've learned the hard way after 5 of them did it to me.

My second one just RRODed on me.

It RRODed, so I shut it off. Tried it 10 minutes later still RROD. Sent in a request for a box so I could get it repaired then remembered it had a disc in it. Turned it on to get the disc and it worked fine... for a week. Now it still has the normal green lights but the video is all corrupted when I turn it on. Oh well, I got the box and am ready to ship it back so I can try system #3. I wonder if they'll try to charge me for the repairs since my system doesn't currently have the RROD, just the corrupted video? The website said that the extended warranty is only for the RROD. I hope not since it did have the RROD a week ago.

My record is as follows:
1st system purchased: October 2007
1st system RROD: December 2007
2nd system returned from repairs: January 2008
2nd system RROD: October 2009

My 5th xbox360 is on the way back to me. At least MS has really streamlined their repair process. Went from a 2week repair to a 2-day repair!(Not including shipping back and forth though).

To all who says, "look at all the 360 fanboys! LOL!" If XBox sucks so much in comparison with the PS3, then why in God's name are they still selling, making more games, and even more improvements with the 360. Boy, if MS was doing as bad as all you people make it out to be, then I have no doubt in my mind that MS would pull out completely. But seeing as the games are still churning and 360 still selling, I guess it's not a terrible console.

i think the number of people reproting failures far outnumbers the number of people reporting no issues

by that i mean, you dont hear from people if nothing goes wrong.....so the issue is not as big as it seems, i mean, if it was so huge, why would they be out selling the PS3 in consoles and games by such large margins...i personally think it is a testament to how good the 360 is, the fact that so many people do experience failures yet they keep coming back for more just goes to show how good it is, people are still willing to overlook the issues....

besides, i am not very thrilled with the latest PS3 offering the way they gimped it with no linux support and no ps2 compatibility, they even removed the on/off button....

my launch console failed about 14 months old, sent it back, got a new one that had the additional heatpipe extension on the GPU heatsink and have done all sorts of things to it, have had it apart many many times, so many times the case doesnt even stay locked anymore, it been painted on, windows cut into it, leds's soldered directly to the motherboard, other things no need to mention......

and yet it is still running strong

i think the number of people reproting failures far outnumbers the number of people reporting no issues...

i mean, if it was so huge, why would they be out selling the PS3 in consoles and games by such large margins...i personally think it is a testament to how good the 360 is...

my launch console failed

Oh lookee there...

reliability wise and noise wise it is a fucking joke. it sounds like a hoover and it is a unreliable piece of shit. mine broke 6 times so you aint experience fuck all yet my friend.

the 360 forced me to buy a ps3 for fucksakes. i do like the 360 games though and xbox live so my only issue with this console is that it was made by dyson. ironically, dysons first few hoovers were unreliable :D:D

PS3 isn't much better. My 60GB died, a buddy's 60GB stopped reading disks and my best friends 80GB year old PS3 died and will not start up anymore.Out of the 5 PS3 my friends have, 2 ½ are still working, though one is RARELY used. hah. I've made a decision that I might be done buying consoles and will probably just upgrade my computer once again. Not unless one of these companies shows me they can make a reliable console that might show half the reliability my still working SNES has.

Oh lookee there...

the point was i had one failure, and my new replacement which was made back in 2007 is still running strong even though i have put it through hell, if i had gotten a PS3 back then and had it fail at that point, with all the great games going to the 360, i would have sold the PS3 and gone with a 360, im glad i sent mine in because its been rock solid since and i have gotten so much use out of it its not even funny, ours runs many hours a day because not only does it play games, it also serves as a Netflix streaming device and also a music jukebox streaming device from my pc music library

See, that may be - but your claim of "the RROD is overrated" would make a LOT more sense if the problem wasn't so widespread. It's not just some sensationalist claim; the problem is acknowledged and very real.

EDIT: with that said, the launch unit I waited 15 hours for in line lasted a good 2 years before it RROD'd on me. It may last you a while, but the RROD is just bound to happen. I've learned the hard way after 5 of them did it to me.

I'm lucky enough to be around a lot of different individuals over the entire country with 360's and none of them to my knowledge has ever had a problem with their 360. Granted it may just be a freak occurance but I still say it is overrated. If anything the DVD drives have failed or needed to be replaced. I'm not saying it is not an issue I am just saying it's an overrated issue.

When people say they are on their 5'th, 6'th or 10'th 360 that leads me to believe the problem is not the hardware, but the end user. Yea I might get flamed or scolded but truth be told I have a launch 360 that is beat all to hell and it is still going strong. I also have a Playstation 3 which is also still going strong.

Even if it is a huge drama bomb, your still getting a new one over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over................... for what must be a really good reason, because quite frankly after a 2'nd failure I would buy the PS3 or a new Videocard.

To all who says, "look at all the 360 fanboys! LOL!" If XBox sucks so much in comparison with the PS3, then why in God's name are they still selling, making more games, and even more improvements with the 360. Boy, if MS was doing as bad as all you people make it out to be, then I have no doubt in my mind that MS would pull out completely. But seeing as the games are still churning and 360 still selling, I guess it's not a terrible console.

It still sells because
1.) most kids just want one; most don't know, nor care about the history of the 360 and neither do their parents
2.)people think that the one they buy isn't going to go bad ("That won't happen to me")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back