Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player + Heroes and more

For the most part, all of the BestBuy's around me are sold out of Heroes Season 1 on HD, which is the biggest selling point for me. If I go into a store and they're out, would it be difficult for me to get a raincheck on when they have more in stock?

Hey! I picked one up tonight with my friend who also got the same deal. We headed to bestbuy in Pasadena, CA and each purchased a brand new 360 HD-DVD drive. It comes with Heroes Season 1 free like the ad says, but they were out, so we took a raincheck. We had to head over to Customer Service to get the rain-check taken care of and we paid there as well.

You need to provide your driver's license, address, and some of your phone numbers...all for a rain-check. As for the 2 free HD-DVD's, you can get them!!! At first, I brought up the HD-DVD player, Transformers HD-DVD, and Shooter HD-DVD (They were out of 300!!!) The customer service people were aware of the Heroes Season 1 included free with the purchase of an HD-DVD drive, but they were not aware of the 2 extra HD-DVD's for free.

I explained the situation with a Bestbuy ad crutched in one hand, pointing at the "two free HD-DVD's with any HD-DVD player purchase." One of the workers started talking to his clip on mic (probably talking to someone higher up). Then just as he came back seemingly about to provide a not-so-favorable answer, he suggested, well, let's just ring these up and see if its in our system. He also explained that their system was down (the system where they get their latest info/reports/news from corporate or what-not. Someone else here explained in much clearer in an earlier post)

They scanned the HD-DVD player, and the two HD-DVD's, and it came out to 194.84. The two HD-DVD's rang up free! (So when you get your HD-DVD player in hand, go grab two HD-DVD titles, Heroes HD-DVD set, and have them ring it up all at the same time. Hopefully there are no complications)

The drive itself is $179.99
Southern California tax rate of 8.25%
Total: 179.99 x 1.0825 = 194.84 (TOTAL)

So here's what you get for that price:

+ Microsoft 360 HD-DVD player (which can play on your PC as well if you meet the requirements)
+ Heroes Season 1 HD-DVD
+ Two single HD-DVD titles (should have tried a box-set lol)
+ Mail-in offer of 5 free DVD titles (hopefully you check the list first so you don't pick up a movie that you can get for free, and get the titles which aren't offered in the mail-in, in-store, instead.)

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot dude, I'll borrow money then so I can buy it tomorrow, since I want Transformers so bad before it runs out. All we need now is actually seen people making it work.

Sweet. I'll get this as soon as I get my check wednesday. :p
Can anybody say if I will be able to get Dolby Digital TrueHD sound with this player + PowerDVD + Z-5500 + X-fi? Or am I limited to regular DD?

Technically you can get TrueHD, but only if you're using 5.1 analog outputs, since your speakers and sound card aren't capable of decoding it. However, it seems that PowerDVD resamples all HD audio to 16-bit 48kHz, so I don't know if you'll be able to tell the difference.

Also, maybe post a picture of your new player and movies working? I somehow fear my pc will handle it, since the 8800gts don't have HD acceleration, or so I heard. Anyways, thanks.

I ripped The Departed HD-DVD to my laptop and played the EVO file without a hitch. It's a Core 2 Duo 2GHz with a 7600 Go, so I think your 8800 should be more than capable of handling the job. That and I'm pretty sure the entire 8 series supports HD acceleration.

Oh ok. Yes, I'll be using analog inputs. And about the HD acceleration, seems like the 8500/8600 are the only ones that have it, not the 8800. The box the 8800 came with says on the back that they perform better at "HD DVD / Blue Ray". I say this because my CPU usage goes really high when I play HD content, like trailers or stuff like that. But yeah, maybe is the software I'm been using. But yeah, good to know you can play them fine with lower specs than mine.:)

By the way, seems like people are still having trouble trying to make the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player work with the PC. For the ones that got it already, do all your movies work, or just some?

The 8500/8600 are the ones with VP2 decoding for nearly full graphics card support when playing back HDDVD and Blu-ray movies. It works great under PowerDVD. But the 8800 series is more limited. With Purevideo hardware support enabled in the PowerDVD config, the 8800 offsets a little bit of CPU usage, but not a whole lot.

I noticed that on the boxes for my 8800GTS and 8800GTX. Why did nVidia do that, was there some logic behind it that only those wanting to spend like $100 will want full hardware acceleration for HD?

Oh ok. Yes, I'll be using analog inputs. And about the HD acceleration, seems like the 8500/8600 are the only ones that have it, not the 8800. The box the 8800 came with says on the back that they perform better at "HD DVD / Blue Ray". I say this because my CPU usage goes really high when I play HD content, like trailers or stuff like that. But yeah, maybe is the software I'm been using. But yeah, good to know you can play them fine with lower specs than mine.:)

By the way, seems like people are still having trouble trying to make the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player work with the PC. For the ones that got it already, do all your movies work, or just some?

I had to download the latest update for Power DVD but King Kong played fine. Between 40-50% CPU usage with my E6600 at 3.0. Using crossfired HD2900XTs going to a Dell 2407. I haven't tested any other movies or tried my 8600GT.

Deal works, got it yesterday with very little hooplah at all. In fact, I had a harder time finding a copy of Heroes season 1 than I did getting them to accept the other DVD deal. 315 dollars worth of free movies...schwing.:p

Ugh... This ddeal is almost too good to pass up.... The thing is I actually had an HD DVD ad on and ended up selling it cause I never really watched the movies and I needed some cash. I kepy my Blu Ray player though. The thing is, I REALLY want transformers in HD. :(

Ohh ok. Thx for the info. By the way, this is the only 1080p file what I have not been able to play smoothly: [Right Click To Save]. It was shot with the Red One camera. On QuickTime it says:

Format: Motion JPEG B, 1920 x 1080, Millions
Movie FPS: 24.00
Data Size: 87.80 MB
Data Rate: 62.68 mbits/sec
Normal Size: 1920 x 1080 pixels

I myself can't get it above 20fps, and at a few frames I get 19fps. The results where gotten by FRAPS. Is this do to file, format, bitrate, or QuickTime, or maybe me? Hmm... I don't know. You guys try to play that file and tell me how it goes. By the way, my monitor's native resolution is 1080p.

Ugh. Had a 360 HD-DVD player and I sold it after I stopped buying movies for it, but this deal is just too good to pass up, since I was going to buy Heroes on DVD anyways I went for it.

Had some issues with the 2 free movies, but I directed the sales representative to the Retail Insider and pointed it out and everything was cool. As someone else said, it's not necessary to explain the deal since the POS will discount all three movies automatically.

Ohh ok. Thx for the info. By the way, this is the only 1080p file what I have not been able to play smoothly: [Right Click To Save]. It was shot with the Red One camera. On QuickTime it says:

Format: Motion JPEG B, 1920 x 1080, Millions
Movie FPS: 24.00
Data Size: 87.80 MB
Data Rate: 62.68 mbits/sec
Normal Size: 1920 x 1080 pixels

I myself can't get it above 20fps, and at a few frames I get 19fps. The results where gotten by FRAPS. Is this do to file, format, bitrate, or QuickTime, or maybe me? Hmm... I don't know. You guys try to play that file and tell me how it goes. By the way, my monitor's native resolution is 1080p.
Most of the problem is that Quicktime just sucks.. Its pretty inefficient.

But my results with Quicktime Alternative in MPC are a little better. It barely stutters and plays around 22fps. But it really isn't a realistic test for gauging HD playback. That is averaging over 60mbit/sec with an inefficient codec/player combo.

sorry to hijack but for you 360 hd-dvd owners out there...i have an issue with mine:

I bought transformers, and when i Forward the scene (not jump but, forward 2x - 32x or whatever the range is), sometimes the player freezes and i have to reboot the xbox/hd-dvd drive.

What could be the cause of this? My xbox doesnt freeze with games, and i only have transformers and king kong (i missed out on this deal, but my 5 free ones are coming in the mail).

The transformers disc is clean, and its happened 3-4 times. I tried king kong and its working fine.

There is one thing though, right when transformers starts, it says that some features are not enabled until i download some update....could this be the cause?

Thinking of trying a new transformers disc, or exchanging my hd-dvd drive.

thanks for any help

sorry to hijack but for you 360 hd-dvd owners out there...i have an issue with mine:

I bought transformers, and when i Forward the scene (not jump but, forward 2x - 32x or whatever the range is), sometimes the player freezes and i have to reboot the xbox/hd-dvd drive.

What could be the cause of this? My xbox doesnt freeze with games, and i only have transformers and king kong (i missed out on this deal, but my 5 free ones are coming in the mail).

The transformers disc is clean, and its happened 3-4 times. I tried king kong and its working fine.

There is one thing though, right when transformers starts, it says that some features are not enabled until i download some update....could this be the cause?

Thinking of trying a new transformers disc, or exchanging my hd-dvd drive.

thanks for any help
Mine does not do that on the pc.. so I don't know. If you have to repower the hd dvd drive itself, there could be a problem with it. I've never heard of that happening before, but you should take it back and ask for an exchange. If that doesn't solve it, the Xbox needs an update to fix some driver/software issue. But the web content update when you insert the disk should have nothing to do with it. Just give it a try though and let it update to see if that solves it. On the PC, it does not make a difference if I cancel the web update or let it run.

All this rings up at the cash register correctly. You dont even need to waste time explaining. Just get your Heroes, 2 hd-dvd of your choice and the 360 hd dvd player. 179.00 out the door.

Just went in today.
Got the player, Heroes, V for Vendetta, and Transformers for $190 (tax).
Pretty awesome.

i got the deal, ended up with Heroes, The Ultimate Matrix collection and Happy feet.

Really good deal. less than 190 dollars.

Well, I went today for it. Oh my, what a day. I had to speak with so many people, so many employees, so many managers. After all, they refused to give me my free movies, saying that King Kong already came with it. I was like WTF, King Kong comes with the player no matter what, is part of the player, not BestBuy. So I left after seen no hope there. I went and called BestBuy's 1-888 number about this, and I made sure I talked to the highest rank person there, and then they said that Yes, I can get the deal, and they gave me a number that explains my situation, so I could give that number to the manager. After that, I returned to the store, and gave the manager the number after explaining everything. Guess what? She called BestBuy and after them explaining everything to her, she refused again. I'm like, HELLO, I already have a valid number that explains the situation, just give me the movies. And the manager goes "I can't deal with you anymore, if you want anything else, just call them again", and then she walks away. I politely said "Thank You", and left. GRRRR:mad:. She was been rude to me, even tho' I was acting as civilized as possible. So no, I never said "HELLO" or "WTF", it was just to make the story more interesting, the rest is true. I later called AGAIN (3rd time since I called before even talking to the manager to make sure), and the same person gets my call. She wonders If I got the movies, and I say NO, and explain that the manager refuses. She says that they already talk to the manager, and says "I'm sorry about this sir, I apologize. Are you at the store still, or did it closed already?". "Is closed already", I said. Then she goes "Ok, just pass by tomorrow and let me talk to your manager and explain everything. You qualify for the player + Heroes + 2 movies + 5 rebate. If after that the manager still refuses, I will personally make you a gift card for the total amount of this so you can get your movies. Sorry for the inconvenience." And I go "Thank you very much".
So yeah, this happened at Miami, FL, store number 552. Seems like the manager if refusing to give me the promotion even tho' it clearly says it on the Ad, and I payed for the player. This is not to scare you, but to let you guys know that you have the right for the movies, and if anything call 1-888-BestBuy.

By the way, I'm still in the process of installing the drivers, PowerDvD, and the drive itself. Once I get everything all working, including my situation with the manager, I'll let you guys know and maybe post a video or screenshots. Just wanted to report back to the community.
OK, Odin75, OUT!

i got the deal, ended up with Heroes, The Ultimate Matrix collection and Happy feet.

wow are you freaking for reals? I just thought of it but never thought it'd work. lol. too bad i opened my movies already.

So if I already bought my player and was refused the extra 2 can I take my reciept and demand the 2 movies??

So if I go to do this deal tomorrow, should I just grab the player, 2 movies, and heroes and take them all up to the counter to see if all the movies scan up as free, or do I have to say something?

Jeez! If I'd known that worked, I would have gotten 2 copies of the ultimate matrix collection then gone straight over to customer service to exchange them for HD DVDs of equal sale value... Heh, get like 5 free movies instead of 2 in store without even having to be dishonest.

So if I already bought my player and was refused the extra 2 can I take my reciept and demand the 2 movies??
Yes, ask for your movies. I'm going for them again today, and I'm going to make sure I get the nice lady from the 1-888 number before handing the phone to the manager.

So if I go to do this deal tomorrow, should I just grab the player, 2 movies, and heroes and take them all up to the counter to see if all the movies scan up as free, or do I have to say something?
If I were you, and according to some posts here in this thread, I would just grab everything, and head straight for the register. If you see something on the price is not right ($179.99 + state tax %), then ask for it. Maybe they already fix the problem and customers don't have to go through all I had to go through yesterday.

I'm siting in the parking lot posting from my phone. I just got the drive with king kong, heroes, ultimate matrix, and planet earth for $190 ou the door!!! Even printed a rebate receipt for the other 5 free movies

I'm siting in the parking lot posting from my phone. I just got the drive with king kong, heroes, ultimate matrix, and planet earth for $190 ou the door!!! Even printed a rebate receipt for the other 5 free movies

how did you get matrix and planet earth? arent those HDdvds like 60 bucks each????!?

IMG_0101.jpg

scan.jpg

Basically I walked into the store. Grabbed all the stuff and took it all up front. The girl who rung me out was wearing regular clothes, so I'm guessing she was new. (BB employees dont get their blues for a couple weeks). Anywho, she rung it all up and said "Your total is $476.95" I simply said "That doesn't sound right." So she hit the total button, the promo window popped, she hit enter and then the total came to $190.79. She said "Holy cow, thats really good deal." I swipped my card, and she continues to say how thats like $300 off, and she just can believe it. I smiled and said "Yea, I've been waiting for a good deal on one of these." She handed my receipt, explained that I need to fill out the form and send it in to get another 5 free movies, and I went about my way.

Like I said ealier. I had one of these before and sold it, so it was hard for me to justify buying another one. However, when I saw people were getting whole box sets as the free DVD, I just couldnt resist.... Now to decide if I am going to keep it, or sell it. Planet Earth is going for sure since I already have it on Blu Ray and standard DVD. lol

Man. I might have to go back and get a 2nd one, just so I can get Matrix as the free HD-DVD. I figure I can get the player, sell that here or on ebay with the rebate/upc/orig receipt for about 120-130, plus I could sell Heroes and then a 2nd copy of the Matrix and come out even or ahead with what I paid.

Need to get to Best Buy and see if it works at my local store for real.

When they adjusted the deal for the computers to ring it up correctly, they must have not put in the $35 cap for the extra two HD-DVDs. I went back last night and got shooter and transformers, shoulda tried the matrix collection.

wow these deal went from great to holy @#%@#$. i mean free heroes and 2 dvds are one thing, but maybe being able to get 3 box sets for free!?!

I am def gonna try doing this tonight...

by the way....what if the local best buy has heroes but they dont have any hd-dvd addons in stock? what do you do??

wow these deal went from great to holy @#%@#$. i mean free heroes and 2 dvds are one thing, but maybe being able to get 3 box sets for free!?!

I am def gonna try doing this tonight...

by the way....what if the local best buy has heroes but they dont have any hd-dvd addons in stock? what do you do??

Go to another store. Thats what i did. The local one was sold out so I went to one about 20 mins away.

That settles it, going to BB after work. I didn't even really want one...Deal is too good...HDTV on the way too... [dave chapelle] BEYYYYYAAAHHHHHHHHH[/dave chapelle]

Too sick.

Im contemplating getting another set with The Matrix and Sopranos. Then selling all those on ebay and keeping this stuff. I figured I can get about $300 for just the items in hand on ebay. Not including the 5 free ones.

so um, sorry I've been trying to read up & stay updated...but we don't need to bring in any advertisement? we just bring up the drive, heroe's season 1, matrix, & some other HD DVD to the check out and viola?

if this is true, I'm so going to BB after work haha (sorry I know I'm a wee bit slow today)

Back