xbox 360 hd-dvd drive $100 shipped

Please take note that the auction is for an HD DVD ROM drive, not the external HD DVD player. this is to be a replacement for the internal DVD drive.

sorry to ask a dumb question but....

assuming you had the mini-ide to ide converter, and an enclosure with USB, would this work by just plugging it into the 360 as the HD-DVD thats $200?

With the converter, would all you need in addition is a 4-pin molex power cable and a free 5.25" mount in your PC?

Meaning you could cleanly mount this internally in your computer and start watching HD-DVD off of it?

With the converter, would all you need in addition is a 4-pin molex power cable and a free 5.25" mount in your PC?

Meaning you could cleanly mount this internally in your computer and start watching HD-DVD off of it?

Yes, but you will still need software that can play back HD DVDs.

Can the 360 boot games from the HD-DVD drive? Might pick it up if I can toss it in in place of my current hitachi drive.

Yes it can boot games from it.

Another question, how nicely will this fit in a 5.25" slot?

Yes it can boot games from it.

Another question, how nicely will this fit in a 5.25" slot?

So you are saying the Xbox360 can boot games from the HD-DVD drive? Link to proof? This the first and only time I've heard that.

So you are saying the Xbox360 can boot games from the HD-DVD drive? Link to proof? This the first and only time I've heard that.

This peaked my interest, cause it'd be great to be able to use my hd-dvd drive as a backup incase my main went bad. I already have both an xbox 360 and the hd-dvd drive, and i can confirm the hd-dvd DOES NOT boot game discs, nor will it play audio cd's on the 360. it will only play dvd and hd-dvd. there may be an aftermarket mod that gets around this, but with stock system and drives, it does not boot game discs.

thats strange because mine did (i returned it) in jan 2007
i could put a game in either try and it will read and run

thats strange because mine did (i returned it) in jan 2007
i could put a game in either try and it will read and run

Same with my friend that has it. His boots and plays the games from it as well. Maybe there is an update people are missing or something.

Some research should be done on this. I'd be very interested, my current cd drive is on the fritz (scratching CDs like there is no tomorrow), and if this could play games, I'd be in for one for sure.

The Drive DOES NOT boot games http://forums.xbox.com/9101531/ShowPost.aspx Towards the bottom of the pinned post
Can I put game discs into the HD DVD addon and play games from it?
No. There's nothing stopping you physically putting game discs into the drive, (just like you could also put a slice of cheese, or a round piece of sandpaper), but the game will not play from that drive. It would be nifty to be able to switch between two games, but alas, that is not possible.

Still a great deal even if it doesn't boot games. It would be handy as a backup in a pinch, but dvd-rom drives are so cheap that it's not even worth using the xbox 360 drive for games.

For $100 + adapter i'd almost rather not throw game cd's into it anyway.

Good find and great deal OP

so... are the two people that said it can just full of shit?

Yes, I dont have a link but it was said by someone from MS that you can't play games from hd-dvd drive. That faq wouldn't be stickied if it wasn't true.

Edit: if you read the manual for the player, Im sure they would add games if it could.
The player offers:
• Playback of HD DVD movies and DVD
movies.

looks like it could be a good deal. Could also be alot of work for people that don't know what they're doing with adapters and switching things out and opening hardware and whatnot...like me. :D

Just to make sure its clear, you can't play games on the HD-dvd drive, It is just a plug and play to the pc with xp no drivers needed. But you do need high def software like windvd 8plt.
I had the gold version but it did not work. I also have vista so i gues i can try its media player.

What if the internal DVD drive was replaced with the HDDVD drive? I wonder if the Xbox just won't boot games via USB, but if the drive was installed internally if the games would work.

Keep in mind guys!

When we easily dissembled the beast, where we were encountered by the strangest plug on the back of the Toshiba OEM drive we have ever seen. Obviously, we can’t connect the HD-DVD drive directly into a tower computer, and must work with the USB case that Microsoft provided

This is directly from the link provided earlier on how to get it to work with a PC.

does anyone have any pictures of it hooked into a tower?
how does it look? does it fit well?

I found pictures on a website before, but I can't find them anymore. It fits fine, but its about 3/4 height of a normal drive. You'd need a custom bezel to make it look good.

On another note, Toshiba announced in a press release that they are supposed to release a HDDVD-ROM/DVD-Burner combo drive pretty soon that will sell for around $50. I'll be in for one of those when they appear on shelves. =)

On another note, Toshiba announced in a press release that they are supposed to release a HDDVD-ROM/DVD-Burner combo drive pretty soon that will sell for around $50. I'll be in for one of those when they appear on shelves. =)

Link?

I found pictures on a website before, but I can't find them anymore. It fits fine, but its about 3/4 height of a normal drive. You'd need a custom bezel to make it look good.

LMAO :eek: $50 you gonna wait a litlle while

LMAO :eek: $50 you gonna wait a litlle while

He either missed a digit before, or a digit after. So, anywhere between $500 to $950. HP's DVD+RW drive launched at $599.

In the mean time, I'm waiting for Toshiba's Qosmio G30/97A. Or whatever it's called, I can't exactly afford the G30-AV6, which apparently has the HD-DVD-R drive in it (for a whopping $3500).

I don't have the link. I read it in a Toshiba press release, but its only going to be for sale in China supposedly. I'm sure it will make its way to the US. Its not a HDDVD burner, its a HDDVD-ROM and standard DVD-RW combo drive.

I don't have the link. I read it in a Toshiba press release, but its only going to be for sale in China supposedly. I'm sure it will make its way to the US. Its not a HDDVD burner, its a HDDVD-ROM and standard DVD-RW combo drive.
Hopefully they trickle down to ebay soon after the China release. I imagine them costing slightly more but between $50-$100 would be well worth it imho.

with a mini ide adapter u can use this in any winxp pc (and yes u can play and rip hddvds with it)

has anyone confirmed that using this TOSHIBA SD-S802A + Slimline CD to 40-pin IDE Adapter + cyberlink powerdvd ultra = true 1080p hd dvd movie output? i see in the link that you can get it to work with windows xp, but i'm fairly sure this drive does not come with the pcb board that comes with the original xbox360 hd dvd drive.
DSC00876.jpg

will that affect the drive at all? the only website with the actual drive inside of a computer is at http://achernob.blogspot.com/2007/04/mounting-xbbox-360-hd-drive-into-my-pc.html
IMG_0129.jpg

but that one has the pcb board thing still stuck to the drive. if it's confirmed that someone can play hd dvd's with this drive simply by getting an adapter and a software player, i'm all up for it. i just dont want to waste $200+ ($100 drive + ~$10 adapter + $100 powerdvd ultra) and find out that i need that funky pcb stuck on the back of the drive inside of them cases. sounds like a nice project if i can get it running for ~$200, but if i have to buy the external hd-dvd drive for ~$200 + $100 hd-dvd player i'd pretty much have to fold and wait on it.

has anyone confirmed that using this TOSHIBA SD-S802A + Slimline CD to 40-pin IDE Adapter + cyberlink powerdvd ultra = true 1080p hd dvd movie output? i see in the link that you can get it to work with windows xp, but i'm fairly sure this drive does not come with the pcb board that comes with the original xbox360 hd dvd drive.
[IM]http://uneasysilence.com/XBoxHDDVD/DSC00876.jpg[/IMG]
will that affect the drive at all? the only website with the actual drive inside of a computer is at http://achernob.blogspot.com/2007/04/mounting-xbbox-360-hd-drive-into-my-pc.html
[IM]http://bp0.blogger.com/_VMWYjXUXYdM/RhqaIJKUqNI/AAAAAAAAABU/Q_IKK7dHy6M/s320/IMG_0129.jpg[/IMG]
but that one has the pcb board thing still stuck to the drive. if it's confirmed that someone can play hd dvd's with this drive simply by getting an adapter and a software player, i'm all up for it. i just dont want to waste $200+ ($100 drive + ~$10 adapter + $100 powerdvd ultra) and find out that i need that funky pcb stuck on the back of the drive inside of them cases. sounds like a nice project if i can get it running for ~$200, but if i have to buy the external hd-dvd drive for ~$200 + $100 hd-dvd player i'd pretty much have to fold and wait on it.

Thats what I was getting at in my post earlier. Are you guys sure you can use an adaptor in place of that board?

Well, the board just contains a Xbox memory unit controller, system power, and a slimline to USB converter as far as I know. The PC doesn't need those things. I swear someone has done this before with the slimline-->IDE converter. Its just a basic Toshiba HDDVD-ROM drive anyhow.

The drive works inside a PC without the circuit board. The drive itself has the slimline IDE connection, which contains both power and data connections. So, the adaptors you can buy have an IDE connector as well as a molex or floppy power connector on them.

The circuit board inside the 360 drive is used to convert the IDE to USB, as well as feed the power to the drive.

Back