Xbox 360 has ruined pc gaming forever

Take a look at the Rainbow Six series and you can see what a negative impact the Xbox has on classic PC franchises.

yup and look at unreal tournament. great game UT3 is aint it.

what about race pro aka the simbin racing sim? a load of shit and again consolised and will lead to less and less racing sims from simbin to be pc exclusive

I think Epic learned their lesson. They are releasing that gargantuan patch for UT3 tomorrow. There is still hope for them. I am also willing to give Ubisoft another chance. I of course will wait for the game to come out first before buying next time....lol

What moron told you that you can't play online with a modified 360? Also it seems that people who do modify their consoles have less chances of a RROD due to all the solutions out there. Mine (now my brother's, but whatever) is an 06 model and it has never RROD'd before. Anyway, yeah its a bit of a deterrent for all but the more tech savvy. Of course thats usually the group you see pirating on the PC, at least as far as the major piraters go. You don't see many non-techie people bother with pirating (or PC gaming for that matter). Console piracy is a lot less than PC, but its getting there. One of these days someone is going to figure out how to pirate PS3 games.

Obviously the methods of detection vary depending on the type of mod but if they detect backups or mods in any way they'll ban your console from xbox live, and whatever other services are out there are more or less useless. There's certainly things you can do yourself to try to avoid the rrod and newer consoles are much better but its still a risk, whereas the warranty plan is 100% guaranteed, so its still less risky.

Sure there's more casual pc gamers who don't pirate because they don't have the knowledge but by and large pc gamers are more tech savvy, and therefore a larger number of them know how to acquire pirated games. Either way, console piracy is less prevalent this generation than it was for previous disc based systems, where dreamcast required no modification whatsoever and there were 1000 reasons to mod an xbox. The unified online architecture has proven to be a decent protection against piracy.

Obviously the methods of detection vary depending on the type of mod but if they detect backups or mods in any way they'll ban your console from xbox live, and whatever other services are out there are more or less useless. There's certainly things you can do yourself to try to avoid the rrod and newer consoles are much better but its still a risk, whereas the warranty plan is 100% guaranteed, so its still less risky.

Sure there's more casual pc gamers who don't pirate because they don't have the knowledge but by and large pc gamers are more tech savvy, and therefore a larger number of them know how to acquire pirated games. Either way, console piracy is less prevalent this generation than it was for previous disc based systems, where dreamcast required no modification whatsoever and there were 1000 reasons to mod an xbox. The unified online architecture has proven to be a decent protection against piracy.

hench why bf2, cod4 and all the MMO'S sell bucket loads.

I will continue to enjoy gaming on both the PC and the XBOX 360. There is no reason to miss out because of some fan-boy grudge.

Best post in the thread. I'll add that I like playing my PS3 along side my 360 and PC as well. I go where the games are personally.

Best post in the thread. I'll add that I like playing my PS3 along side my 360 and PC as well. I go where the games are personally.

Exacatly and game rentals help out alot on the Xbox360 side...I don't want to be dumping $60 bucks on a game that has about 10 hours play in it..and if it sucks really bad it goes back into the mail and I get another game.

I've been out of PC gaming for the past 3-4 years now and just started getting back into it with L4D and now Empire Total War...

yup and look at unreal tournament. great game UT3 is aint it.

what about race pro aka the simbin racing sim? a load of shit and again consolised and will lead to less and less racing sims from simbin to be pc exclusive
So now that a good game series is on consoles I shouldn't try/play it? And I've heard that Race Pro is a good race sim (maybe not the best reviews but from user impressions). You guys act like the 360 is killing you. Relax. Why not go where the good games are and stop bitching about how the 360 raped your mother.

So now that a good game series is on consoles I shouldn't try/play it? And I've heard that Race Pro is a good race sim (maybe not the best reviews but from user impressions). You guys act like the 360 is killing you. Relax. Why not go where the good games are and stop bitching about how the 360 raped your mother.

i already have a 360 ps3 and wii.

It's just different. I stopped playing consoles for like 3 years. I got a 360 for Christmas and it's great for when I have friends come over or if I just want to sit in my bed/couch and play something, same goes for my PS3. I will say though that I hate when PC games have consoley menu's/features put into the ports ala UT3, Oblivion, Bioshock. If a game is made for both PC and Consoles they should at least make sure the PC version has a proper, flowing PC UI.

I use my PC more and I prefer PC games but I've opened myself up to consoles again and I'm enjoying them. As long as we have Valve, and Blizzard PC gaming will be fine.

There's very few extremely good games on any platform nowadays and I feel you have to have a PC/360/PS3 to enjoy them all. MGS4, HL2 + Episodes, Stalker, Sins, Company of Heroes, Fable 2, Gears and Halo are all a must imo.

I think it needs saying again...

picard-facepalm.jpg

As both a PC Gamer and a 360 player I can say the "extremists" on either side need to seriously get bent.

I just find it easier these days to play on a console.
I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost and will always prefer playing on PCs.
But when you get stupid DRM methods that will lock down some of your software and a game won't install because DVD Decrypter is not installed that is why I find it easier to play consoles.

MS won't ruin their PC market, since a lot of people who can't afford to have two PCs would run Windows for the games and not run Linux.

I for one if I don't play games I would install Ubuntu on my main PC at home same as a couple of guys here at work (IT) that don't play games and they run Ubuntu at home.

Both sides (PC and Console) have their niches and people will support their side more than the other unless you have one that plays both and loves both.

PC is here to stay, as well as console is here to stay.

When a new Civilization comes out, as it certainly will, my PC will be ready.

When Doom 4 launches, my PC will be ready.

When the World in Conflict expansion launches, my PC will be ready

There are still many quality producers making games specifically for the PC. I don't believe there's any reason to panic. And even if PC gaming miraculously dies off, there will still be video games to play.

The only thing I'm a little afraid of is no longer having a 'reason' to spend hours in front of a desk-mounted motherboard, dialing in settings and flashing bios' to eek out that extra AA setting. I'm sure futuremark will keep crapping out benchmark tests though. :D

ITS ALL THE XBOX'S FAULT! :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how many of you try your hardest to not buy a console? I mean, does insecurity run that deep? A real gamer would play games on any available platform, whether that be a PC, a handheld, a stand up arcade machine, or yes.. a console. But thats unlikely the case with many who complain.

I'd be willing to bet the average complainer has some personal vendetta against consoles because they feel they are entitled to the absolute most best game selection and quality because they are so fucking smart they built a computer. New flash! ... nobody gives a shit. So you built a gaming computer, neat .. that doesn't entitle you to jack.

The PC elitist attitude is getting to be over the top and selfish. I'm a pc gamer, always have been but some of you need to pull your head out of your ass.

I gotta say I miss the old simulation games. Jane's combat flight sims came with 150-200 page manuals with good information in them. Sure you could get away with not reading it but there was something to be gained from doing so.

Now games don't even have manuals because people are lazy. It's not that I have anything against run n' gun games, i've been playing COD4 more than anything since it came out. But, as with anything in a free market the majority are the ones who get satisfied. So while I'd prefer a game with a mental challenge, because that puts me in the minority, I'm likely to never see one again.

I think it says something very negative about our society to think that people consistantly opt for the easy quick and dirty over the slightest challenge. I for one like to use my brain for work as well as play.

I gotta say I miss the old simulation games. Jane's combat flight sims came with 150-200 page manuals with good information in them. Sure you could get away with not reading it but there was something to be gained from doing so.

Now games don't even have manuals because people are lazy. It's not that I have anything against run n' gun games, i've been playing COD4 more than anything since it came out. But, as with anything in a free market the majority are the ones who get satisfied. So while I'd prefer a game with a mental challenge, because that puts me in the minority, I'm likely to never see one again.

I think it says something very negative about our society to think that people consistantly opt for the easy quick and dirty over the slightest challenge. I for one like to use my brain for work as well as play.

I totally agree with you, but the mass market is decidely downmarket towards the twich and shoot style games. The mass market is where the money is made too...I cut my teeth on Microprose games from the Mid-1980's on wards and things went down hill right around the time 3d accellerators (which where going to be the holy grail of Simlulators) and it never came into being.

I do have to admit that some flight sim games where a bit too much, Like Falcon 3.0...some of my fav games where Aces series from Dynamix...easy to fly to a point till you start ratchting up the diffuculty on them and they became harder to fly. I like my games with a bit a challenge and be realisitc to a point but not too realistic that it ruins the experance.

I won't go into how some Flight sims just seem to be demonistrator that are totally lacking a game inside of them....if they Re-did something like Tie Fighter or X-wing Fighter that would be the perfect blend of sim and game to me

About microsoft losing money due to piracy, I think they're asking for it, considering how much they charge and how much drm they use.

I believe that once drm was used, piracy went up. The best way to prevent shit is usually to not try to bust people who wouldn't try to pirate, use drugs, whatever, if new tech and neo-laws didn't try to bust 'em.

It's staggering to know that coders built games as expansive as FreeSpace 2, that ran on a 400 MHz CPU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2

And Master of Orion 2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II

I wonder if independent developers have the skills to even code games like that any more, inside such a tiny footprint? Meanwhile we have quad core CPUs and ___fill in the latest and greatest video card___ and yet I haven't seen a game that's better than something that I played 13 years ago LOL

It's quite ludicrous but that's why I still have a FX 5500.

I have a box full of unplayed PC games ( 2004 - 2009 ) and at some point I have to upgrade from my Athlon X2 4400 but after that, I'm thinking of getting a moded PS2 and ditching the PC format *shrug* :confused:

I played the Fear 2 demo and it didn't seem like a console game, I was pressing lots of buttons (crouch, flashlight, etc.) and aiming is precise.

What is the problem? The weapon switches?

Been pc gaming for tons of years bro.

^ exactly but it's because of Xbox. Trust me bro.

Wow this thread has turned into SHIT. I thought we were all adults here, boys?

Keep it clean and mature, or I'll request it closed. I was merely ranting and I told you all I am not anti console or anti "360".

You dont even know how to close your own thread? Sorry but you are regurgitating an argument that has been going on for 10 yrs now, guess what PC games are still alive and kicking. You are not the only one who has been playing games for 20+ years, your life experience is about as useful as a spork in a gun fight. While consoles are doing great in the gaming market, they are still limited. You cant upgrade your console, nor can you mod your games. Modding is a huge part of the pc gaming industry and its only growing. Modding gave us CSS and TF2 and other games that you enjoy on your console today.

Saying PC gaming is dead, is ignorance at best.

Last edited:
I don't like how influenced L4D pc is by its 360 counterpart. The DLC was delayed so that the 360 version would come out at the same time.

Also, the interface is poor... joining a randomly picked server with no server list and no way to filter only low ping servers.

I played the Fear 2 demo and it didn't seem like a console game, I was pressing lots of buttons (crouch, flashlight, etc.) and aiming is precise.

What is the problem? The weapon switches?
did you notice that that you cant map controls to the other buttons on your mouse? that was pure laziness on Monliths part.

the game does play very smooth but many gameplay and graphical elements were compromised because of the consoles limitations and typical gaming audience.

Microsoft is dumb for making games turn sour now on the pc. The only reason everyone runs windows is because of the games. If it wasn't for the games then everyone would be on linux. Almost everyone i know want to run games. Games is a make or break decision for a majority of people. Consoles are just killing it mainly. We need a pc only game thats top notch other than wow. We need another counterstrike success of today mod again. ;)

Microsoft is dumb for making games turn sour now on the pc. The only reason everyone runs windows is because of the games. If it wasn't for the games then everyone would be on linux. Almost everyone i know want to run games. Games is a make or break decision for a majority of people. Consoles are just killing it mainly. We need a pc only game thats top notch other than wow. We need another counterstrike success of today mod again. ;)
I understand what you are trying to say but most people will never play a game beyond solitaire so thats not why "everyone" runs Windows. Im about the only gamer among my friends and family and no one I know has Linux or would even know what it is.

LOL you have no clue what you are talking about.

I would agree that gamers strongly tend towards windows because its the best platform for PC gaming, but gamers are a tiny percentage of the total windows users, so it's of some interest to Microsoft, but not much.

But I agree with the original statement thats the Xbox has killed PC gaming, it's lowered standards, it's encouraged games targeted at mass market, its encouraged crossplatform development which essentially brings most of the constraints of the console to the PC, this defeats the point of having a superiour gaming platform to begin with.

All crossplatform remakes or sequels to previously PC only titles have been utterly wank, that not a naturally occuring pattern, there's a good reason for it happening.

I play strategies/mmos/fps on my PC, racing/sport/arcade on both PS3/X360 and I notice bad and good games on both platforms.

SOme of the games on consoles are fairly easy, like Halo Wars, or generally Halo, but some are decent, like Two Worlds. But, those are different types of people. When I want to get beer, have fun, and relax I reach for pad, put DVD in drive, and screw the patches, drivers, BSODs and so on.

When I want challenge I reach for Civ4, or I might try to immerse myself in RP on RP server of AoC, I reach for PC.

The problem is, as I see it, that not only good games are ported from consoles, like GoW PC, which I got for some missing episodes from console, like Brumak fight :) but also crap like Stormrise. It sucks even on consoles, but some "genius" decided to sell it also on PC. But, without consoles there wouldn't be games like Jade Empire and Mass Effect or Kotor - I'd like you to remember that KOTOR was first made on Xbox, and yet it's declared as one of best RPGs on PC.

It all depends on game and port quality

i cannot stand playing with my thumbs.

because of that reason alone, i don't care if i play ports for the rest of my life. i'm sticking to pc gaming.

I have to agree somewhat with the OP. A few years ago, I used to laugh at my PS2 friends for only being able to play PS2 games. Games looked sooooo much better on PC's. But now with the 360 and PS3, there's not a huge difference in the graphics. Sure, there's going to be those that say that say PC's still look way better. I'll say they still look better, but not way better. Then there's the fact of trying to achieve those great graphics on the PC. With the consoles, everything's already there. With the PC, you need to get "this", upgrade "that", etc. PC's used to have a leg up when it came to multiplayer and online gaming. Now the consoles have this as well. Console gamers probably never even knew we had it so good for so long on the PC. The only thing we've got going for us is better control with the mouse and keyboard, but all my console friends has the misconception that controllers are better.

Back