Xbox 360 GTA IV Unreadable Disk

Killermac

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up GTA IV the other day and played the game for about two days. Now when I load up the game it starts with the opening screens and then the XBOX pops up with and Unreadable disk error. I have done the following:

Cleared the Hard Drive Cache
Cleaned the DVD drive with lens cleaner disk
Deleted my gamer profile and recreated it.
Deleted all saved GTA IV saved games

nothing changed.

When I put my ear up to the drive when the disk is in you can hear the lense trying to read the disk. I had similar errors with and old DVD-RW drive when I wanted to write to a disk. A firmware fkash corrected the problem.

I was just wondering if any of you other [H] gamers have had any issues with GTA IV. I have checked around the web and it seems that MS and Take Two are busy pointing fingers at one another.

KM

i think that the main problem is the first word of your post title.... ;)
Seriously though, I have a friend who has the same issue. Possible bad DVD? Does it play everything else?? If so, maybe try an exchange of the game? Good luck.

If you're connected to the internet with the console and it reads the disc at all, it should tell you if there's an update.

I had a similar issue with one game, and just used some compressed air to clean out the drive.

Also, I had an issue with a bad disc. If you read in the back page of the game manual, I have noticed before that there was a number to contact the manufacturer for replacement of a bad disc.

Have you tried any of those?

90% chance it's the laser lens. You can clean it with alcohol on a cotton swab. If that doesn't work, you can replace it for about $10+ shipping from ebay. Goes without saying if it's less than a year old it's still under MS warranty.

It's almost guaranteed to be the 360, and not the actual disc. This is the exact same error that ultimately killed my original Xbox. A few months ago I started getting the same error while playing Lost Odyssey - a lot. It was to the point where I couldn't even finish the game. I've gotten the error sporadically on a couple other games as well.

Anyways, it's complete bullshit. Microsoft throws in the cheapest drives they can find into these things. I sent it in for repair and since getting it back it hasn't happened again once (although, I've since gotten rid of Lost Odyssey).

It's almost guaranteed to be the 360, and not the actual disc. This is the exact same error that ultimately killed my original Xbox. A few months ago I started getting the same error while playing Lost Odyssey - a lot. It was to the point where I couldn't even finish the game. I've gotten the error sporadically on a couple other games as well.

Anyways, it's complete bullshit. Microsoft throws in the cheapest drives they can find into these things. I sent it in for repair and since getting it back it hasn't happened again once (although, I've since gotten rid of Lost Odyssey).

Apparently a lot of people had trouble with LO though...

OP, Call MS say your DVD drive is dead, see what they say.

My XBOX has been freezing more than anything with GTA4. Too bad my XBOX is out of warranty . . . :(

No answers seem to coming around. Thanks for some of the replys, I will keep this thread up to date so others can benefit from my experience.

KM

ive been having that problem. seems the only way it stopped happening was because I always took the cd out and after I was done the game and then put it back in when I wanted to play, It seems that whenever I leave it in the drive after playing, It would give me that errors.

Back